Juwon Oshaniwa - signs 3 year deal, scarf above head, etc etc

WSTR

colinmaroon

Got a friend here in Richmond who's making the move to Edinburgh and had immigration papers that were supposed to arrive two weeks ago and still haven't.  It may mess up his plane reservations.  He says the blame is on the Cameron government's new tighter immigration controls.

I have no information which says the same is happening to Oshaniwa but since it gives me another reason to dislike the Cameron government I'm going with it. ;)

There is nothing that can add to my dislike of the Cameron government already.

Any delays caused by the huge civil service staff machine that, if streamlined would save more than the welfare cuts, just confirms that Whitehall is a separate country, which governs the colonies north of Watford!

Trying to remember the figures comparing the Israeli and UK Defence Procurement staffing levels and, it was some 500 staff did all the buying etc. for the Israeli Armed Forces and the UK equivalent is staffed by over 23,000.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seymour M Hersh

There is nothing that can add to my dislike of the Cameron government already.

Any delays caused by the huge civil service staff machine that, if streamlined would save more than the welfare cuts, just confirms that Whitehall is a separate country, which governs the colonies north of Watford!

Trying to remember the figures comparing the Israeli and UK Defence Procurement staffing levels and, it was some 500 staff did all the buying etc. for the Israeli Armed Forces and the UK equivalent is staffed by over 23,000.

That's a relevant point you're making there vicar. Well it is somewhere on planet earth just not here.  

Rudolf's Mate

I've never believed for one minute that it would happen but should he suddenly get off a flight in Glasgow and turn up at Darkheid. Well that for me would be like Mo Johnston. Suffice to say I'd take it quite badly!

Mainly because of all the songs we've already got for him :muggy:

johnking123

I've never believed for one minute that it would happen but should he suddenly get off a flight in Glasgow and turn up at Darkheid. Well that for me would be like Mo Johnston. Suffice to say I'd take it quite badly!

Mainly because of all the songs we've already got for him :muggy:

Would give us a chance to make some songs about him!

All roads lead to Gorgie

Are we still closing in on him?

Rather like a space probe closing in on a Comet, one false move and you bounce off and all the lights go out. Not that I hope that is what will happen.

Rudolf's Mate

Rather like a space probe closing in on a Comet, one false move and you bounce off and all the lights go out. Not that I hope that is what will happen.

Just as long as it's not a rectal probe with us getting proper shafted!

All roads lead to Gorgie

Just as long as it's not a rectal probe with us getting proper shafted!

If this falls through and a certain other club come in there will be plenty rectal probes being sharpened in Gorgie. LOL.

There is nothing like 23,000 people in any Procurement department in the world. There may be 23,000 that can raise a requisition but there is no way that they are classed as being Procurement. I work for Sky and we have less than 50 people classed as Procurement for a spend of over ?10bn, even multi-nationals like Astra Zenica have Procurement teams numbering in the hundreds rather than thousands. 

Like a leopard, rather than a cheetah.

Is it a 2 legged leopard ? at the pace were "closing in" it's more tortoise like I would say.

Come on Juwon, let's be avin yooooouuuu!!!

5A9AC729-3173-454C-A337-D75D8A33E9B3_zps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nigerian government probably going through some formalities.

Maybe has to pledge to come back for internationals, speak to his mum every week and agree not to try deep fried mars bars.

Half the government over there has just been emptied so who knows.

He is coming though.

colinmaroon

There is nothing like 23,000 people in any Procurement department in the world. There may be 23,000 that can raise a requisition but there is no way that they are classed as being Procurement. I work for Sky and we have less than 50 people classed as Procurement for a spend of over ?10bn, even multi-nationals like Astra Zenica have Procurement teams numbering in the hundreds rather than thousands. 

O

kay!  There are 23,000 civil servants who deal with all aspects of supplying and administering the British Armed Forces.  The same department with the same brief, and that's the point, in Israel has the figure I quoted.

O

kay!  There are 23,000 civil servants who deal with all aspects of supplying and administering the British Armed Forces.  The same department with the same brief, and that's the point, in Israel has the figure I quoted.

Key word there is administering, that covers a huge range of things outside of procurement. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Depending on how much you want to outsource I would say.

O

Having lived the dip life for a wee while, Colin, one of the biggest issues with the foreign office is the amount of local staff they employ over UK-based.  So in Nigeria, for example, they reduced drastically the number of admin roles fulfilled by FCO staff there, which obviously saved money and, all over the world, added up to a nice round figure the gov could get headlines with.

But these jobs still needed done and they got local staff to do it.  Now, I like Nigeria.  I like NIgerians.  But finding good staff there, and in many similar postings is hard, so you're ending up with huge budget being wasted on, hiring and firing and simply having far more people to do one man's job.  Then on top of this, you have guys who are terriible in their roles and earning more than even their more senior UK-bases colleagues simply due to length of service.  You end up with locals bascially running our embassies.

Not in Nigeria, but in other posts I've seen them at year-end "using up budget" to ensure they don't get their budget slashed the next year - furniture that's not needed, half-arsed projects etc all literally to use up budget.

You're not wrong (though your figures are pulled out your bum, I don't know them any better!), there are hundreds of civil servants basically twiddling their thumbs, but there's a much bigger picture than just the numbers and you have to see it to believe it!

And incase anyone thinks we're off topic.  Not on your nelly - it's this stuff that's holding up oor Juwon's visa!!!!

colinmaroon

Key word there is administering, that covers a huge range of things outside of procurement. 

The key point is the bizarre waste by the UK government, where the Israelis are doing the same job with a fraction of the staff.

If our man was going to play for a club in Israel, they wouldn't take nearly as long with an infinitesimal percentage of the staff to do the job.

He'll sign it's just a shame the relevant paperwork is taking so long to let him into the country. It's a shame he is missing so much of the pre season with us but he might not be the last signing we make so we will just need to see what happens.

The key point is the bizarre waste by the UK government, where the Israelis are doing the same job with a fraction of the staff.

If our man was going to play for a club in Israel, they wouldn't take nearly as long with an infinitesimal percentage of the staff to do the job.

He'd probably already have the necessary paperwork.

I take it noshow ina Scotland is no lookin to good. nae pre season even if he does turn up. we need to sign another defender, 2 injured just now and forced to play kids isnae good enough going up a division.

I take it noshow ina Scotland is no lookin to good. nae pre season even if he does turn up. we need to sign another defender, 2 injured just now and forced to play kids isnae good enough going up a division.

I would imagine he will have a fitness  programe where ever he is atm and fitness levels with be fine.  Getting to know team mates, style of play etc is obviously not happening though and he will need to hit the ground running in that respect but until we hear something different it appears that the deal is still on and held up with red tape of sorts.   I will be happy to see him sign this week as stated in one of the articles further up this thread.

I agree we could do with at least one more CB but I think JHM although singed as a under 20's player was possibly brought in as a first team back up  too.  So it may well not happen unless Oz is struggling with his reported niggle.

I would imagine he will have a fitness  programe where ever he is atm and fitness levels with be fine.  Getting to know team mates, style of play etc is obviously not happening though and he will need to hit the ground running in that respect but until we hear something different it appears that the deal is still on and held up with red tape of sorts.   I will be happy to see him sign this week as stated in one of the articles further up this thread.

I agree we could do with at least one more CB but I think JHM although singed as a under 20's player was possibly brought in as a first team back up  too.  So it may well not happen unless Oz is struggling with his reported niggle.

CP wouldn't have let JHM go if he was destined to be a world beater so he's an average teenager with possibilities, McGhee another teenybopper, that's no a lotta cover for 2 positions i'm afraid, the injuries confirm this, we need another center back with a bit experience fast, pre season almost gone. with niggling injuries your never sure when their gonna clear up, it's also ruining ozturk and augustyn's pre season so it is worrying, if they take a little longer than expected to regain their health we could be looking to start the season with JHM and jones at the back with Anderson in front of them if gomis/pallardo and bauben also hang on to their niggles.

maroonplatoon87

Honestly for me it's time to cut this deal and aim for another target.

Dragged on far too much and won't be anywhere near ready for the start of the season.

How many seasons in the past have we had a player who had a non existant pre season and for the duration of that season we've gave them the benefit of the doubt.

"If only they had been given a good pre season" or "next season we'll see the best of him after a full pre season"

Really hope I'm proved wrong in this one

davemclaren

Dragged on far too much and won't be anywhere near ready for the start of the season.

How many seasons in the past have we had a player who had a non existant pre season and for the duration of that season we've gave them the benefit of the doubt.

"If only they had been given a good pre season" or "next season we'll see the best of him after a full pre season"

Will another target be any readier?

Why would we do that when they're still expecting him over here?

Are you kidding???

Unknown user

CP wouldn't have let JHM go if he was destined to be a world beater so he's an average teenager with possibilities, McGhee another teenybopper, that's no a lotta cover for 2 positions i'm afraid, the injuries confirm this, we need another center back with a bit experience fast, pre season almost gone. with niggling injuries your never sure when their gonna clear up, it's also ruining ozturk and augustyn's pre season so it is worrying, if they take a little longer than expected to regain their health we could be looking to start the season with JHM and jones at the back with Anderson in front of them if gomis/pallardo and bauben also hang on to their niggles.

He doesn't need to be a world beater to be a success at Hearts though.

Crystal Palace also let Osman Sow go and although he's no world beater, he's been plenty good enough for us so far

Rudi didn't really do pre-season

JamboHeriot

He's already tweeted saying he's looking forward to a new chapter with Hearts. All will be well.

Bizarre reaction especially given that a different target would also be well behind the rest by the time they are signed.

We've clearly been tracking him for some time so how long would it take to find another available player of a similar level? I don't think there are too many World Cup featuring left backs available on a free transfer and at affordable wages that would want to come to us - so I'm quite happy to wait.

Part of the problem is the delays have been highlighted due to the perceived high calibre of the player.

Really hope you are wrong. I think this guy will be class in this league. Just like a certain Greek defender from the past.

Folk talking about cutting the deal when the lad has virtually signed with us. :facepalm:

He will be keeping himself fit and regarding getting to know teammates etc, its absolutely no different to a player coming to the club in the January transfer window (like Zeefuik), or Eckersely and Pallardo signing on late with us last year. 3 of our best performers.

In Hearts terms, this seems like quite a coup of a transfer so pulling the plug because its aking a few days longer than we'd hoped is madness.

He's already tweeted saying he's looking forward to a new chapter with Hearts. All will be well.

Hey, thanks for that.  Just seen it and yeah, it looks promising.   Look forward to his arrival.

juwon oshaniwa ?@juwon_oshaniwa Jul 11

Can't wait 2join d family of hearts FC......GODISGOD

He doesn't need to be a world beater to be a success at Hearts though.

Crystal Palace also let Osman Sow go and although he's no world beater, he's been plenty good enough for us so far

sow was great for a dozen games then lack of pre season caught up and we had to get zeefuick in. we still need another central defender with a wee bit experience

And he's not praying

The window is open for another 6 weeks, yeah?

If he hadn't already been linked with us and we signed him mid August as a free agent we'd all still be happy.

It's just the frustration of some showing because it has dragged on a few weeks.

Thankfully the club and the player are a bit more patient. :laugh:

Unknown user

sow was great for a dozen games then lack of pre season caught up and we had to get zeefuick in. we still need another central defender with a wee bit experience

Not arguing with any of that, but I wanted to make the point that just because Crystal Palace let him go, it doesn't necessarily mean anything about how good he'll be for us.

Most would agree Sow's one of our beat players and if there's one area of the park where Levein knows exactly what's required, it's central defence.

Not disagreeing with your post in general by the way, just referring to the bit I put in bold :thumbsup:

Not arguing with any of that, but I wanted to make the point that just because Crystal Palace let him go, it doesn't necessarily mean anything about how good he'll be for us.

Most would agree Sow's one of our beat players and if there's one area of the park where Levein knows exactly what's required, it's central defence.

Not disagreeing with your post in general by the way, just referring to the bit I put in bold :thumbsup:

He's certainly got rhythm.

Clerry Jambo

The window is open for another 6 weeks, yeah?

If he hadn't already been linked with us and we signed him mid August as a free agent we'd all still be happy.

It's just the frustration of some showing because it has dragged on a few weeks.

Thankfully the club and the player are a bit more patient. :laugh:

Correct and I think he will be worth waiting on :thumb:

Folk talking about cutting the deal when the lad has virtually signed with us. :facepalm:

He will be keeping himself fit and regarding getting to know teammates etc, its absolutely no different to a player coming to the club in the January transfer window (like Zeefuik), or Eckersely and Pallardo signing on late with us last year. 3 of our best performers.

In Hearts terms, this seems like quite a coup of a transfer so pulling the plug because its aking a few days longer than we'd hoped is madness.

I heard about it on the internet like days ago, why am I having to wait?  This isn't fair on me.  Me receiving this news as soon as possible is probably the only thing that matters.  There's absolutely no way the management team and the player himself are waiting for this to happen.  Just me.  Me.  TheBigO.

From Israeli sports journalist via Twitter:

@Raphael_Gellar: Hearts FC supporters, I spoke to Juwon Oshaniwa & he told me he expects to be introduced by Hearts FC next week.

Archived