Hearts & hibs support idea of alcohol sale trial - do you? *POLL*

redm

Would you support an alcohol trial in Scottish football?  

724 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support an alcohol trial in Scottish football?

If there was some kind of "cap" in place as well to limit the bevy you can buy I'd be all for it otherwise there will be some 19 stone ultramong wanting to buy 12 pints for himself.

Ridiculous argument and never going to happen.

Do u see anyone ordering 12 pints for themself in a pub? No. So why in a sports venue?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with all of your post apart from not being able to take your beverage to your seat, why not?

No specific reason - only that this is the formula that they use in England Nd it seems to work pretty well.

If someone is going to try it probably best for everyone that it be an Ann Budge-run club. No chance she's going to let alcohol create a toxic atmosphere.

highlandjambo3

NO....NO....NO......................quite simple really, whilst the majority of fans will behave themselves (like us JKB peeps), we have all heard the minority around about us from time to time, can anyone here honestly say they have been to a match and NEVER heard an adult swear and hurl abuse at someone ............you know the ones that you feel Embarrassed / Angry about, the same fans that parents detest because of the foul and abusive language that spouts out of their mouths infront of young fans/children.....you really want to give them Alcohol................they are probably half cut anyway. 

Think about it.................NO WAY.............NO DANGER.................................................................Wait a minute...............does that not mean they would spend half of their time in a beer queue, or sleeping, or at the toilet??  Hmmm :bomb2: 

LOUD NOISES!

PS. You're post is a load of balls.

Really........glad you cleared that up for me there then

The vote is standing at 2 to 1 for.

Perfect.

Bring on the plastic cups and the warm, flat piss water!

:jjyay:

Does anywhere have a vending machine system that dispenses bottles of lager?

A line of 5 or so vending machines every section or so would could be slotted in somewhere, think that would help with queues?

Perfect.

Perfect.

Really, you think thats how statistics like this should work?

36% currently say no, so they should be ignored for a fanciful experiment?

er, naw.

er, naw.

a fanciful experiment? We're no planning a manned flight to Pluto.

er, naw.

Explain how it should work then?

What about the 64% that are in favour of it?

er, naw.

LOL

Didn't get the spirit of my post then?

er, naw.

64% should be ignored?

Ehhhh naw.

64% should be ignored?

Ehhhh naw.

Nobody said that - but any business willing to irritate over a 3rd of its customers for no significant value to the others is mental.

Surely even you can grasp that?

Nobody said that - but any business willing to irritate over a 3rd of its customers for no significant value to the others is mental.

Who out of the 34% would be irritated by serving alcohol in the stadium.

You should look up the word democracy.

I don't like bovril and never drink it but I don't have an issue with someone buying one in a football stadium. If the same poll was for bovril then I'd be a no but it doesn't irritate me. I don't see how alcohol is any different.

I don't like bovril and never drink it but I don't have an issue with someone buying one in a football stadium. If the same poll was for bovril then I'd be a no but it doesn't irritate me. I don't see how alcohol is any different.

Just look at the poll.

Jeez.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

er, naw.

Can something be an experiment if it's been tried and tested and proven to work fine around the world?

The only thing I have against it is I don't think most Scottish clubs have good enough facilities to do a good job of serving beer. That's another issue though and bringing beer in could force clubs to start think of their paying customers a bit more.

The idea that Scottish football fans are somehow incapable of drinking sensibly at football matches is insulting though. (Not saying you think that but some seem to).

I presume the 34% are for those in the Gorgie stand with their kids.  Perhaps there is no need to serve alcohol in that section so all the tea-totallers can piss off and leave the normal people to enjoy a drink in peace...

:verysmug:

I presume the 34% are for those in the Gorgie stand with their kids. Perhaps there is no need to serve alcohol in that section so all the tea-totallers can piss off and leave the normal people to enjoy a drink in peace...

Sounds good to me! Then the easily offended, Dr Bapswent et al. can all moan and be irritated together.

We_are_the_Hearts

I presume the 34% are for those in the Gorgie stand with their kids. Perhaps there is no need to serve alcohol in that section so all the tea-totallers can piss off and leave the normal people to enjoy a drink in peace...

I'm a yes voter with kids in the Gorgie!!

I'm not one for quoting myself, but I am genuinely interested in whether people think the same wouldn't happen at Hearts or how we could deal with it, especially in the main stand where there is even less room than the wheatfield.

Only thing I can think of would be to fence off an area outside the stand and have an outdoor bar.

It's all about the dispense, IMO. There are a few options.

Full draught.

Non standard draught.

Manual (can/bottle emptying into tumbler)

Pre packaged (handing over a bottle)

The bottom two would be quickest. When I say non standard draught, I mean new-ish technology. You get these top down things that fill a dozen pints in one go as an example (dinnae, I love that shit!). That's fairly unlikely as it would depend on the provider providing the technology as well. Worst would be draught. Clunky and time consuming. The bottom line is the quicker you serve somebody the quicker they are out of your way.

If it's the main stand, that would only work if you could take your beer back to your seat. There is nowhere to go that isn't in the way.

So, to work, cool new technology ( :) ) and send them back to their seat. IMO.

Caspian Primrose

I think there's quite a lot of people on this thread voting no on the basis that they wouldn't buy a beer at a match.

Yep. I wouldn't drink in the ground, lucky if I get a pie in a whole season but I support the idea of alcohol on sale. It'd be more money for the club so fill your boots.

The People's Chimp

It's all about the dispense, IMO. There are a few options.

Full draught.

Non standard draught.

Manual (can/bottle emptying into tumbler)

Pre packaged (handing over a bottle)

The bottom two would be quickest. When I say non standard draught, I mean new-ish technology. You get these top down things that fill a dozen pints in one go as an example (dinnae, I love that shit!). That's fairly unlikely as it would depend on the provider providing the technology as well. Worst would be draught. Clunky and time consuming. The bottom line is the quicker you serve somebody the quicker they are out of your way.

If it's the main stand, that would only work if you could take your beer back to your seat. There is nowhere to go that isn't in the way.

So, to work, cool new technology ( :) ) and send them back to their seat. IMO.

I've see the top down machines at a few festivals. Fast stuff. I just thought about those shan beer backpack things, you could have someone going down the queue serving drinks on the hop out of a dispenser on their back. I remember during the anderton era there were pie/snack sales from folk wandering around cinema style and I always wondered why they got rid of that idea and reverted back to 'clueless, spotty, arithmetically challenged teenager' behind a counter. 

A nice round price would help, as half the hassle is paying and getting change. Maybe a token system? You buy them from the club website and get them sent out to you. 

Just gives you an idea how this site in now way represents the vast majority of Hearts supporters and football fans in general. You'd be lucky if the no's reached 10% in the ground. FACT!

I've see the top down machines at a few festivals. Fast stuff. I just thought about those shan beer backpack things, you could have someone going down the queue serving drinks on the hop out of a dispenser on their back. I remember during the anderton era there were pie/snack sales from folk wandering around cinema style and I always wondered why they got rid of that idea and reverted back to 'clueless, spotty, arithmetically challenged teenager' behind a counter.

A nice round price would help, as half the hassle is paying and getting change. Maybe a token system? You buy them from the club website and get them sent out to you.

As an aside, you see the one where you push the cup down onto the tap and it fills the cup from the bottom? Cool as, and rapid. :)

[Flavour Flav] yeaaahhh boiiiii!!![/Flavour Flav]

I like the token idea, but the beer backpack allows for too many "I was next!" Idiots.

The idea that Scottish football fans are somehow incapable of drinking sensibly at football matches is insulting though. (Not saying you think that but some seem to).

That's the crux of the argument. Football fans are currently discriminated against when it comes to the availability of alcohol at their chosen sporting event, hell you can buy as much beer as you want at a gig. I've watched a lot of football in England and it works fine down there, and they have much more serious hooligan issues to deal with on a weekly basis than we do.

Let's trial it, there is no reason not to, and I don't believe the result will be any different to that experienced down south.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

As an aside, you see the one where you push the cup down onto the tap and it fills the cup from the bottom? Cool as, and rapid. :)

[Flavour Flav] yeaaahhh boiiiii!!![/Flavour Flav]

I like the token idea, but the beer backpack allows for too many "I was next!" Idiots.

Given that Scottish football is at least 20 years behind the rest of the developed world in pretty much every way (apart from the Old Firm - they're still in the middle ages) I'm not going to hold by breath we'll see innovation like that as our grounds! We can but dream though.

'

Presumably the "family stand" would remain alcohol-free, even if this became a regular thing.  That should suit the 1/3, I'd think. (apart from grumbling about having to move to different seats.)

Maybe if the police/government are serious about alcohol, they should breathalyse people going into matches.

But they're not.

So why not let the clubs sell overpriced piss water?

Given that Scottish football is at least 20 years behind the rest of the developed world in pretty much every way (apart from the Old Firm - they're still in the middle ages) I'm not going to hold by breath we'll see innovation like that as our grounds! We can but dream though.

'

Definitely not, but, it's cool yeah!!!

Sheriff Fatman

Can we get a 'I don't really care one way or the other' option as I can manage to last a whole 1 hour 45 minutes without having a drink, but I don't really care if other people can't.

Can we get a 'I don't really care one way or the other' option as I can manage to last a whole 1 hour 45 minutes without having a drink, but I don't really care if other people can't.

No, no option for that I'm afraid.

Mainly because if alcohol is to be served then it will be from when the turnstiles open, which would be around 90 mins before ko. So you're looking at more like 3 hours without a drink!

But a helluva lot of people that go to football matches like to have a pint or two pre match.

spectacularly missing the whole point.

Sheriff Fatman

spectacularly missing the whole point.

There is no point. It won't make the clubs any real money as beer has a spectacularly low profit margin. People who like to drink during the day already can, they just have a couple of hour break. Many of those that tan a few pints before they come to the game are going to do exactly the same, then try and get more at the game leading to higher security costs as the argue with the kids in the booths, of which there will need to be more adding even more costs.

But then if the fans and the clubs decide they want the added hassle and minimal amount of money they might get, I'm not really that bothered.

The bar at Starks Park is going to be fun and games with a full away end stand if memory serves me right from our game there at the start of the season.

There is no point. It won't make the clubs any real money as beer has a spectacularly low profit margin. People who like to drink during the day already can, they just have a couple of hour break. Many of those that tan a few pints before they come to the game are going to do exactly the same, then try and get more at the game leading to higher security costs as the argue with the kids in the booths, of which there will need to be more adding even more costs.

But then if the fans and the clubs decide they want the added hassle and minimal amount of money they might get, I'm not really that bothered.

I'm not getting caught on that hook. :rofl:

So basically instead of no/yes it's folk who aren't really arsed, and alcohol dependant people who will do absolutely anything so they can have their pint during the game?

:greggy:

I know what you're saying but it takes the piss. Just going from experience at a game at West Ham, folk were streaming out from 30 minutes in. Same for the first 15 of the 2nd half, folk coming back from the bar. Guys were missing 30 minutes of the game to have a bottle of beer FFS.

They don't open the bar until half time now so leaving early is futile.

Folk coming back late is an issue though.

However the main argument on this thread of people being smashed beyond control is unfounded in my experience.

By the time you have queued you've literally time for 1 beer max. If you are downing 2 pints at half time you are probably the sort of person who was sneaking a hip flask in anyway.

Been going to the football for eleven years in England and I have to admit I sometimes miss going for a beer at half time when I come up for a Hearts game.

I am only going for this if 'Hooters' take up the bar franchise.    :rolleyes5:

I'm also not getting caught on this "beer doesn't make money" thing but even if it wasn't profitable, you fail to acknowledge that the longer folk are in the stadium the more they'll spend on other items too. The longer they're in the stadium, the more scope there is for other entertainment related add-ons, all of which add value to the matchday experience - then you have associated impacts on brand, customer satisfaction and also commercial appeal/sponsorships. In short, lots of other stuff happens.

It's not just about folk being desperate for a beer.

I agree with all of your post apart from not being able to take your beverage to your seat, why not?

Because that kind of works down south.

Unlike your adventures with the TA, most people go to football to watch the game and support their team, not stand there holding pints singing doe a deer.

I'm also not getting caught on this "beer doesn't make money" thing but even if it wasn't profitable, you fail to acknowledge that the longer folk are in the stadium the more they'll spend on other items too. The longer they're in the stadium, the more scope there is for other entertainment related add-ons, all of which add value to the matchday experience - then you have associated impacts on brand, customer satisfaction and also commercial appeal/sponsorships. In short, lots of other stuff happens.

It's not just about folk being desperate for a beer.

"The Matchday Experience"

* shiver *

We_are_the_Hearts

Let's just give it a try, be good if we could have used the pitch behind the wheatfield as a fan zone. Was at a Champions League game at the Etihad this season and place was mobbed 3 hours before kick off. Good food available, bars, live music, Soccer AM put the ball through the holes, EA Sports FIFA room.....................basically people all just spending money on the club. Obviously we will never be as big but there is a market out there with a bit of imagination..............

"The Matchday Experience"

* shiver *

:laugh:

I get that, it's awfy lingo heavy, but we're operating in different times these days. Football clubs have to wise up and make the most of what they can offer the paying customer. It's not enough just to say "ach, they'll come, they always do".

:laugh:

I get that, it's awfy lingo heavy, but we're operating in different times these days. Football clubs have to wise up and make the most of what they can offer the paying customer. It's not enough just to say "ach, they'll come, they always do".

:thumbsup:

I'm cool with selling alcohol before the game and at half time. I seriously do not want it available during the game though, nor should anyone be allowed to drink at their seats. Imo, of course.

However I am also protective of Gorgie and our role within the community and would not want our local pubs to lose out on business either.

More drunks at games.

More reasons for people to leave their seats during the game and walk in front of me.

It's a no for me.

I think it should be given a try.

But you shouldn't be allowed to take it to your seat. Just look at the arseholes at the rugby.

Also it's surprising how much of the stuff they sell abroad is no or low alcohol pash.

Archived