Hearts & hibs support idea of alcohol sale trial - do you? *POLL*

redm

Would you support an alcohol trial in Scottish football?  

724 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support an alcohol trial in Scottish football?

I honestly question the match day experiences of those that think licensing the pie stall will cause disharmony. Do they think everybody drives to the ground? Whilst a pint may or may not be for them, they know a lot of folk go to the pub on match day?

If you walk into any pub in Gorgie at 1pm on a match day pubs will be fairly full. That's two hours before kick off. You are only in the ground two hours and 90 of that you are watching a game. One/two beers at the ground isn't going to cause any issues.

For me, it could provide some extra cash to Hearts (do we get cash per sale or is the pie stall franchised out?) and it gives punters the choice. Pre packaged lager/beer in lightweight plastic screw top bottles would be my choice.

I won't lie, if I went for a pie (to be honest, I rarely do) I'd get myself a beer if there was one on offer.

The big thing that makes me err to "no" is purely that we as a club have dreadful facilities as it is. Massive queues and regularly running out of stock. That puts me off from buying anything more than cost/offer. We need to look at the offer and staffing irrespective of alcohol.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those plastic bottles aren't so lightweight when full though.

And what? Lol, just because it is alchohol doesn't mean people are going to start hurling them about the stadium, if they were full that means the person hasn't drank it. There are plenty other things that you can throw at opposition fans if your that way inclined.

I really dont understand the strong opposition to this.  Surely a couple of halftime beers isnt going to be problematic for anyone.

If someone wants to get blootered theyll do it before hand and/or sneak it in.

Sell it at half time under the stand for half time consumption only, plastic bottles like Man Utd etc. 

Prices in England are pretty reasonable. ?3.50 or so seems about average. Im all for lifting the ban and giving people the choice. No doubt some tumpshey will make a right scene and ruin it for everyone that would use the service.

It annoyed me a little that this issue is only really now coming up for some proper media discussion because Jim decided he was going to use it as a political football - it deserves better and more genuine consideration than that - but while it's topical I figured we might as well jump on the bandwagon.

Jim's politics are not my thing at all generally speaking but the fact he's championing it isn't a good enough reason for me to decide that I can't support it. The fact that many people can't see past Murphy when it comes to this issue is a bit disappointing. I'm a football fan, I have genuine interest in this subject, so I'm not going to let current party politics distort the position I would take any other day.

I honestly question the match day experiences of those that think licensing the pie stall will cause disharmony. Do they think everybody drives to the ground? Whilst a pint may or may not be for them, they know a lot of folk go to the pub on match day?

If you walk into any pub in Gorgie at 1pm on a match day pubs will be fairly full. That's two hours before kick off. You are only in the ground two hours and 90 of that you are watching a game. One/two beers at the ground isn't going to cause any issues.

For me, it could provide some extra cash to Hearts (do we get cash per sale or is the pie stall franchised out?) and it gives punters the choice. Pre packaged lager/beer in lightweight plastic screw top bottles would be my choice.

I won't lie, if I went for a pie (to be honest, I rarely do) I'd get myself a beer if there was one on offer.

The big thing that makes me err to "no" is purely that we as a club have dreadful facilities as it is. Massive queues and regularly running out of stock. That puts me off from buying anything more than cost/offer. We need to look at the offer and staffing irrespective of alcohol.

Nails it for me.

Those plastic bottles aren't so lightweight when full though.

Not a problem you can put on the pro-alcohol guys though.....just ask any of the poor souls who have been hit with a full coke carton at Ibrox/Parkhead.

Not a problem you can put on the pro-alcohol guys though.....just ask any of the poor souls who have been hit with a full coke carton at Ibrox/Parkhead.

Quite, but with a cup it's likely some of the liquid will fall out as it's lobbed (not so if dropped), hence cans and bottles are currently prohibited and why in England sales and consumption are on the concourse only.

If they choose to allow it, it makes no difference to me, I just cannot see much benefit.

Some people seem to be excited about the whole subject/prospect though...

I'm not against trialing it, but I wouldn't bother with it myself.  Much prefer a couple or 3 beers in the pub before and after the game.

That's the thing, buddy. Anything can be thrown. Make the bottle as light as possible but cups of coffee and juice will always be chucakble as well.

On a side note...are they still doing the delivering to your seat malarkey?

That could swing it...." em...a pie and three lager, mate!"

On a side note...are they still doing the delivering to your seat malarkey?

That could swing it...." em...a pie and three lager, mate!"

That would increase the chances of me ordering to be honest!!

Of course we should be allowed drink at football games.No way though will it improve your match day experience or a major money maker for our club.

Cannot wait for the complaints on this board after the trial starts. :)

Dagger Is Back

Can't say that I'm that bothered about a beer at the game. Standing in a queue for an overpriced and sub standard ale just doesn't work for me. Also tend to drive to most games so it's a non starter.

If others want to generate additional revenue for the club fair enough though no beers in the stands please. Has to be bought and consumed on the concourses which will in turn give our stewards another wee bit of policing to do.

I'm happy getting to the game 15 minutes pre kick off and finding my seat. Having beer on tap ain't gonna get me there any earlier, and I certainly don't see any fun in standing on a draughty concourse in the freezing cold with a shitty beer in hand.

Still, I think people should have the option to do that should they wish

Can't say that I'm that bothered about a beer at the game. Standing in a queue for an overpriced and sub standard ale just doesn't work for me. Also tend to drive to most games so it's a non starter.

If others want to generate additional revenue for the club fair enough though no beers in the stands please. Has to be bought and consumed on the concourses which will in turn give our stewards another wee bit of policing to do.

I'm happy getting to the game 15 minutes pre kick off and finding my seat. Having beer on tap ain't gonna get me there any earlier, and I certainly don't see any fun in standing on a draughty concourse in the freezing cold with a shitty beer in hand.

Still, I think people should have the option to do that should they wish

Has to be at the seat, for me. Unless we are banning bovril and cola...

As long as we ban burds from drinking pints I'm all for it.

As long as we ban blokes from drinking pints I'm all for it. I can do sexist too. ;-)

Johnny Sandiego

Definately worth a trial for me. Try it out at selected category B games first to see if there is a genuine interest and then decide if we want it full time.

The concourse area between the Wheatfield and Gorgie stands would be a great place for a stall. Nice and open, you could have 5 or 6 staff serving fans for say 1 hour before kick off. Shut down at 3pm for half an hour then re-open 15 mins before half time. Close down again when the 2nd half starts.

Something along those lines would also solve some of the issues raised so far too.

No change to the Qs at the normal pie stands, people won't be constantly getting up and down to get a pint due to designated times and no real danger of anyone being able to drink for a full 90 mins.

Could bring a nice steady income into the club and also get the ground filling up a bit more before the game adding to the atmosphere.

Well worth a thought anyway.

As long as we ban blokes from drinking pints I'm all for it. I can do sexist too. ;-)

Just pointing out it's ****ing horrible seeing burds drinking pints.

Just pointing out it's ******* horrible seeing burds drinking pints.

Ah. Well if they do trial this at Tynecastle then I shall try to ensure I don't drink my pint within your sight.

If they allow drinking at football again then when the blood starts to flow and fans end up as corpses the Spud will be nowhere to be seen as the entire SMSM blame the evil SNP for causing carnage.

It's not exactly subtle.  Labour are on your side if you are an alcoholic who likes to sing sectarian songs. But nowhere to be seen when any of their works go wrong.  Has dreepy Jim apologised for labour's trams or voting for the IRAQ war yet?

I have no sympathy for anybody who can't enjoy life without getting drunk.   What makes sport more exciting if you are wasted?  Were 1998, 2006 and 2012 rubbish because you couldn't drink?   Would 5:1 have been improved by beer? 

This whole rotten argument is a perfect illustration of why Scotland has been the sick man of Europe for decades. 

There is no room at Tynecastle for any alcohol sales points. The concourse is for people to move around the stadium and is only just big enough for that purpose.   They should be banning the drunks as a safety risk, never mind their antisocial behaviour.

If they allow drinking at football again then when the blood starts to flow and fans end up as corpses the Spud will be nowhere to be seen as the entire SMSM blame the evil SNP for causing carnage.

It's not exactly subtle.  Labour are on your side if you are an alcoholic who likes to sing sectarian songs. But nowhere to be seen when any of their works go wrong.  Has dreepy Jim apologised for labour's trams or voting for the IRAQ war yet?

I have no sympathy for anybody who can't enjoy life without getting drunk.   What makes sport more exciting if you are wasted?  Were 1998, 2006 and 2012 rubbish because you couldn't drink?   Would 5:1 have been improved by beer? 

This whole rotten argument is a perfect illustration of why Scotland has been the sick man of Europe for decades. 

There is no room at Tynecastle for any alcohol sales points. The concourse is for people to move around the stadium and is only just big enough for that purpose.   They should be banning the drunks as a safety risk, never mind their antisocial behaviour.

:lol:

For those talking about beers out of plastic bottles - its my opinion that is what would be used for any trial as it is far more cost effective. Even at places like Old Trafford with 5 times the customers this is what they use in may areas of the ground. However there is no chance it would be a case of selling you a plastic bottle to take back to your seat. The contents of the plastic bottle would be poured into a plastic cup at the kiosk.

I'm a no. I can remember getting guys to buy us pints of Arctic Lite when I was underage at Upton Park many years ago. I've never drunk at a ground in Scotland as the ban started before I moved here. Don't see the need for it meself. Wouldn't be drinking anyway.

What a riot you must be down the bistro. 

If only 10% of the fans buy 2 pints a game at ?3.50 (10% of 16,000 = 1600 x ?3.50 x 2) that would be an addition income of ?11,200 per game.

25 games a season (league, cups, pre-season friendlies etc.), that would be around ?280,000 in additional turnover. I'm probably being conservative at that!

Makes sense for the club to look at it.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hearts-and-hibs-keen-for-alcohol-sale-trial-1-3693632

Been chatting a bit about this subject in the last few days thanks to Jim Murphy's insistence on making it a political issue in advance of the elections. I never used to have strong feelings on the issue but in recent months I've come to realise that I probably do support bringing it back, or trialing it at very least. It could be a great revenue stream for Scottish clubs - clubs that desperately need to find new ways of bringing in cash and improving the match day experience. Goodness knows we need to all try what we can, especially in the face of increasing amounts of silly money in the game south of the border. A few mates of mine went to some beer tent at an away game this season and mentioned how great it was, I enjoyed a drink or two at the Etihad when I visited and managed not to turn into a 90 minute hooligan, and I know other similar ideas have been discussed in recent months and I can't help wonder why the heck we shouldn't be given the chance to try this stuff out.

I've heard many people say "Ach, why can't folk just go 90 minutes without a drink?" and it's not really the point, or least I don't think it is. Why don't they ever ask the same question about a concert, or a rugby match? You don't have to buy a drink, but for those who want to why shouldn't there be an opportunity? Especially if it benefits the club and improves the match day package for some supporters?

Furthermore, I'm getting increasingly fed up of being told we're incapable (as a collective group of supporters) of making responsible decisions or behaving ourselves in the presence of a beer or two and I'm definitely sick of listening to the pontifications of folk who have never been near a football ground in their lives, or not since the 80s anyway. I'm also fed up listening to people talking about 'Scottish football' when what they're really discussing and describing is the Old Firm and its associated problems.

What do you lot think? We go to football in a segregated, stewarded, policed and generally pretty damn safe environment. Attitudes and behaviours have changed a lot since the 80s, football is a different ball game in many ways. Is it time to give booze a go again in certain conditions? Old Firm, derbies and games with high potential for narky fans should be ruled out obviously - that's just common sense - but why not try it for other fixtures?

That's my own views on it, thought it might be interesting to see how it goes in a poll....   :)

The safety is partly due to the absence of alcohol And the stewarding is often as passive as it could possibly be, the police similar, and segregation is not always perfect. It would be a minority who would cause trouble; nice, responsible people will be able to not drink.

Can't be arsed having to get up every 2 mins for people going for a piss.

Well ban young people from the bar then.

Us oldies have one big 20min pish after a few scoops and all is well.

N Lincs Jambo

If only 10% of the fans buy 2 pints a game at ?3.50 (10% of 16,000 = 1600 x ?3.50 x 2) that would be an addition income of ?11,200 per game.

25 games a season (league, cups, pre-season friendlies etc.), that would be around ?280,000 in additional turnover. I'm probably being conservative at that!

You are forgetting that we (Hearts) would not be getting the beer for free and we would also have to pay the people who are serving it. Not against anything that will bring extra revenue to the club but we do have to deduct the costs. Turnover does not equal profit.

FFS pretend it wasn't Murphy that suggested it and see how it looks then.

I'm for it. Like others have said I can't see me buying the booze as it'd likely be cooking lager and boozing in the freezing concourse isn't for me.

But we shouldn't be punished for the conduct of fans of the 80s

It's not exactly subtle. Labour are on your side if you are an alcoholic who likes to sing sectarian songs. But nowhere to be seen when any of their works go wrong. Has dreepy Jim apologised for labour's trams or voting for the IRAQ war yet?

I have no sympathy for anybody who can't enjoy life without getting drunk. What makes sport more exciting if you are wasted? Were 1998, 2006 and 2012 rubbish because you couldn't drink? Would 5:1 have been improved by beer?

There is no room at Tynecastle for any alcohol sales points. The concourse is for people to move around the stadium and is only just big enough for that purpose. They should be banning the drunks as a safety risk, never mind their antisocial behaviour.

You get to a stage on JKB where you think you've seen the depths of stupidity. Then someone comes along and lowers the bar even further.

You get to a stage on JKB where you think you've seen the depths of stupidity. Then someone comes along and lowers the bar even further.

Quite.

Which kinda makes the poll irrelevant if that's the level of debate.

It's not exactly subtle. Labour are on your side if you are an alcoholic who likes to sing sectarian songs. But nowhere to be seen when any of their works go wrong. Has dreepy Jim apologised for labour's trams or voting for the IRAQ war yet?

I have no sympathy for anybody who can't enjoy life without getting drunk. What makes sport more exciting if you are wasted? Were 1998, 2006 and 2012 rubbish because you couldn't drink? Would 5:1 have been improved by beer?

There is no room at Tynecastle for any alcohol sales points. The concourse is for people to move around the stadium and is only just big enough for that purpose. They should be banning the drunks as a safety risk, never mind their antisocial behaviour.

Your last paragraph is a sensible point.

However it was almost lost in the preceding 4 paragraphs which are arguably 4 of the worst paragraphs in JKB history.

Sheriff Fatman

You would be lucky to make 20p net profit on each pint. ?16000 in profit for a season isn't exactly to be sniffed at, but really wouldn't make a huge difference in the world of professional football.

Who said anything about getting wasted?

Meanwhile back in the present day it is surely the right of someone paying ?400 a year to attend a large scale event to be able to choose, as an adult, to have an alcoholic drink and do so responsibly. Would you also ban pubs in the city centre from selling alcohol on weekends now as well because their clientele sometimes misbehave and cause trouble on Saturday nights? 

So if we can buy a drink before the game in the ground, or at half-time or full time we'll all be raging drunken hooligans?  Inevitably there will be some who can't behave, the same ones who already misbehave?  We need to police the idiots better and allow everyone to have the choice of a drink or two.  The riot at Hampden 35 years ago didn't happen because there were bars in the ground.

Anyone go the the American football at Murrayfield a while back?  Drinks in the various bars at the pre-match party never produced any violence (it was all on the field).  When I am in France and go to a Chamois Niortais game I can have a beer and a hot dog before taking my seat for the game, when I go to Armadale every Friday for the Speedway, I have a pint after heat 14, when I visited English grounds years ago I could have a beer too, Dublin in the late 80's a wee beer below the stand at half time.

Slavia Prague when they served us beer on the terracing from milk crates?  Mind you we were conned in Liege - my mate and I insisted the beer at the ground was the best we'd had all day- that started with a Duval for brekkie - then we saw all the empty boxes outside the kiosk on the way out all marked "alcohol free"!!

Time to give it a trial over a season and take it from there.  Cheers - hic!

Its clear from reading most of the objections that these people haven't been to games in England and seen this working.

. You can't take your beer to your seat.

. You will be able to down drinks before the game and one pint at half time tops then bars close.

Tynecastle is surrounded by pubs. All the current ban does is make some people throw as much drink down their necks at the nearest boozer then sta?ger in fifteen minutes late.

I don't think people woll drink as mu?h with booze in the ground when they have a bar at hand.

I would not be in favour of letting people taking booze to their seats as you will get drink spilled on others and people with weak bladders will be up down to the toilet every 5 mins disturbing the entire rpw.

I listened to BBC Scotland's 'Morning Call' discussion and noted that Daryl Broadfoot, SFA Head of Communications said that 'this conversation has been going on since September/October last year' and 'This is the first time in 25 years we are having a sensible debate'.  On the political side, and there is definite political motivation - (Labour/Liberal/Conservative aim to 'wipe out' the SNP and picking apart their legislation one by one and using the alcohol at football debate to divide Scots and Murphy continually using divisive tactics of pitting one perceived class against another) - not a newly found sincere empathy with Scottish football supporters - there was Ruth Davidson from 2013 asking for uplifting the ban and Jim Murphy (no comment).  Tom English, Sports Writer and in the press Archie McPherson (noticeably his argument was word for word with Jim Murphy's statements).  So: whilst there is likely to be some sincerity on their part that Scottish football supporters have had to live under the grey umbrella of 1980 in being denied the consumption of alcohol inside stadiums - there is no doubt that the SFA seeks increased commercial revenue and the implication was that they are practically ready to go with the trial.  One report said 3 or 4 clubs were definitely not keen to participate.  But interesting the Daily Record (?) poll had 92% against - perhaps a huge response from the West where the A&E departments, family support organisations, alcohol related voluntary and professional organisations had the biggest problems to deal with alcohol related violence and ill-health.  Maybe a presumption there.  But it was noted that specifically football supporters clubs were 61% in favour of lifting the ban.

Daryl Broadfoot uses the marketing phrase 'the best match day experience for fans'.  Murphy uses the divisive 'class' or one social grouping versus another tactic which he always uses - identifies election voting fodder where there are large numbers of the electorate who can be stirred into debate, therefore, Scottish football supporters are a very sizeable number of potential voters and he knows supporters and knows that lifting the alcohol ban is a no brainer.  Easy meat. 

One of the arguments for uplifting the ban was the suggestion that there has been little trouble at games for years!  But they did not relate this to alcohol not being available since the ban and perhaps having some influence on this improvement.

If the SFA and clubs are pretty much suggesting that things have been put in place already to run the trial - and they clearly said the alcohol for sale would be low percentage - 2 or 3% - as this would give Police Scotland 'the comfort that they require', it looks as if it could start fairly soon.  You don't come out with percentages of alcohol type if you haven't gone into the specifics only recently!  Broadfoot also said it wouldn't be a case of fans 'allowed to sit down ....with beer in hand.  It hasn't evolved to that' and he mentioned stadiums being empty just before the start of games with fans arriving late - so the theory is that fans won't be late if they know they can get a drink in the stadium.  It also wouldn't do the stadiums any harm if they had the facility to coin a few more pounds from the fans by having alcohol available within the stadium!   It was also implied that most stadiums already had the facilities to enable the trial to start.  No idea if that includes Tynie or not.  I imagine the Hearts website will post something up soon.

It seems to me, perhaps na?ve - that the costing to say Hearts will be interesting.  It will also be interesting to see if the SFA/Murphy et al already have an alcohol supplier in mind - maybe one who will service all stadiums on a contract form the SFA/Clubs - if it's been identified already the alcohol will be 2 or 3%.  It won't be hard to find a supplier salivating at the potential of such an opportunity.

The police, the medical organisations are not keen on the proposal - for well understood reasons.  However, what happens if as they describe the 'less volatile venues' have the ban lifted and the trial is a success - how long would it be before the venues considered potentially 'volatile' will be able to claim they have been discriminated against - and the reason given for not allowing their participation would have to be very very carefully worded perhaps?  What would the licensing costs be to Tynie?  Will there automatically have to be increased health and safety, hygiene and police presence?  What about the cost of staff to operate a licensed area - would the alcohol supplier provide their own staff as part of the contract?  Would there be conditions to the selling conditions?  Would the clear-up after games costs increase?  Will FOH be factoring this in to their future plans?  Insurance?  It would only take one incident to cause fall-out - particularly if a child were involved.

I don't want to sound negative - and I'm assuming that if the trial is pretty much ready to go and clubs are in favour - then this must have already been ironed out.  But I'm wondering what percentage of sales would benefit say Hearts and what would go to the supplier and the SFA?  Who would have control of the commercial aspects?

I'm sure this has all been ironed out - and I suppose there will be some clarity soon enough.  It's just up to the supporters to make it work and that will be the make or break - especially if the family friendly ethos is affected by the change in any way and costs to the clubs to make the change.

Interesting times.

I think there's quite a lot of people on this thread voting no on the basis that they wouldn't buy a beer at a match.

Just because you wouldn't have a drink, isn't good enough reason that others shouldn't.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think there's quite a lot of people on this thread voting no on the basis that they wouldn't buy a beer at a match.

Just because you wouldn't have a drink, isn't good enough reason that others shouldn't.

This.

"Oh, they'll get pished!" is another shite argument too. The beer will be piss water!

A yes from me. Works fine down south and they like a bevvy as much as we do. It's only for before the game and at half time anyway and it might actually stop folk from downing their drinks before the game if they know they can get one at the stadium.

I'm led to beleive last orders would be at 2.45 and no drink allowed to be taken to your seat, and no drink will be sold at half time.

Like many have said, the novelty will wear off in about six weeks, flat lager at ? 4.50 in a plastic cup...no thanks

And the increase in people going to the toilet every 10 minutes, that's going to piss a lot of people off

Archived