Hearts & hibs support idea of alcohol sale trial - do you? *POLL*

redm

Would you support an alcohol trial in Scottish football?  

724 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support an alcohol trial in Scottish football?

Not necessarily, Heineken at the Fringe...

Anyway, this would be a big marketing thing for people involved at the top of our game. A chance to get an official sponsored beer provider. The guys in charge couldn't get that wrong, could they?

Heineken tap, fosters keg.

Not kidding seen a ''bar'' do it before when they run out of Heineken.  :muggy:

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The People's Chimp

Can't wait for everyone to start leaving their seat at 30 minutes in the game to beat the q. Will be brilliant. 

Some of the arguments from the NO voters are hilarious, we do have some weirdos in our support lol.........................

But what if I need to let someone out for a pee pee.....waah waah

Geoff Kilpatrick

So this happened without giving people more beer.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/4176

And people are arguing that people are sensible enough to police themselves at the football?!?

So your argument is that clarty bitches are wrecking the place so don't serve anyone beer?

So your argument is that clarty bitches are wrecking the place so don't serve anyone beer?

No, that would a deliberate over simplification and poor attempt to make light of the situation and dumb the argument down.

Wouldn't it.

And people are arguing that people are sensible enough to police themselves at the football?!?

On the flip side, that boy that launched himself at Lennon might have been too pished to make it over the barriers having had an extra couple of scoops.

It's swings and roundabouts.

On the flip side, that boys that launched himself at Lennon might have been too pished to make it over the barriers having had an extra couple of scoops.

It's swings and roundabouts.

Or followed by 3 more.

Can't wait for everyone to start leaving their seat at 30 minutes in the game to beat the q. Will be brilliant.

Folk are up and down all game anyway.

Geoff Kilpatrick

No, that would a deliberate over simplification and poor attempt to make light of the situation and dumb the argument down.

Wouldn't it.

Or calling out your questionable logic? You decide.

Folk do that anyway though.

The People's Chimp

Folk are up and down all game anyway.

I know what you're saying but it takes the piss. Just going from experience at a game at West Ham, folk were streaming out from 30 minutes in. Same for the first 15 of the 2nd half, folk coming back from the bar. Guys were missing 30 minutes of the game to have a bottle of beer FFS.

The People's Chimp

It works somewhere custom designed like Eastlands, but is a disaster at older grounds which weren't designed for it. The pie queues in the old stand are horrendous anyway, but if it was to get to a bar they'd be much much bigger. You get the odd person getting up to go for a jarko wiss or a pie, but I reckon at tynie we wouldn't have enough staff, the queues would be huge and a lot of people would leave to go to the bar, much more than already get up and down through the game. 

Some of the arguments from the NO voters are hilarious, we do have some weirdos in our support lol.........................

Correct!!

So thats ok then?

Giving them more reason to do that is ok?

It's not not ok... I suppose.

It's just part and parcel of what happens during a game. Doesn't really bother me to be honest.

What would you rather? That we sold no refreshments at all and gave people no reason to leave their seats at all for duration of match? Is that your ideal scenario?

Can't help think folk are blowing the potential effects of this way out of proportion. Nobody in their seats, riots in the stairwells, poison in the stands. It's a bit much.

Yep - and people will listen to them, bin the beers, or go back and finish them off like good boys and girls.

Like closing time in pubs, people never ever get arsey when told to finish up their beers and give staff grief.

Im just glad the stewards are such highly paid professionals that get such respect that they wouldnt ever need to handle any trouble should it arise as the crowd are generally so respectful that they would listen and obey them without question.

Thats probably why the no smoking rule is adhered to at half time and the toilets are never ever a trashed disaster area of blocked sinks, urinals or broken and splintered doors.

We should reward such careful people with beer.

From premier league down to league 2, this is adhered to in England with no 'extra' or 'professional' stewards needed. I'm sure they will get help from any police if necessary.

Some arguments here are horrendously bad.

chester copperpot

So, I can get a scalding hot beverage if pissed and risk spilling but not a beer?

Not my point chief. Most steamers (not you) wont buy a hot beverage at the footie however they would be all over buying pints thus increasing the amount of incidents of spillages etc.

Now in an enclosed small topped plastic bottle, thats a different story. :)

Not my point chief. Most steamers (not you) wont buy a hot beverage at the footie however they would be all over buying pints thus increasing the amount of incidents of spillages etc.

Now in an enclosed small topped plastic bottle, thats a different story. :)

Again, it's all about the vessel. You suggest as such at the end of your post. Lager is no more spillable (yeah, I know) than bovril or cola.

It works somewhere custom designed like Eastlands, but is a disaster at older grounds which weren't designed for it. The pie queues in the old stand are horrendous anyway, but if it was to get to a bar they'd be much much bigger. You get the odd person getting up to go for a jarko wiss or a pie, but I reckon at tynie we wouldn't have enough staff, the queues would be huge and a lot of people would leave to go to the bar, much more than already get up and down through the game.

I sit in the same section as you I think - I've honestly never noticed a significant problem from week to week. Yeah the queues are a bit on the lengthy side but you have a wait for pies in the Wheatfield too. I don't think I've visited too many grounds where you didn't have a wait. That seems normal to me. Not great but you know, that's just the way it is.

We're imagining some sort of beer related chaos but I can't see the current management team rolling out a trial they haven't thought through. The capacity in each stand is exactly the sort of thing they'll consider a lot I expect.

What's the set-up at Eastlands?

It's not not ok... I suppose.

It's just part and parcel of what happens during a game. Doesn't really bother me to be honest.

What would you rather? That we sold no refreshments at all and gave people no reason to leave their seats at all for duration of match? Is that your ideal scenario?

Can't help think folk are blowing the potential effects of this way out of proportion. Nobody in their seats, riots in the stairwells, poison in the stands. It's a bit much.

Tbf it's a lot more likely to happen. Especially if someone starts a round.

It's something I didn't really think of, on one hand it would be great if you could take a beer to your seat, on the other hand you have folk just constantly up and down to the bar.

Maybe only a designated section gets bevvy which means it could be properly stewarded etc and folk can't moan when people are constantly moving. It would be hard to implement but you could probably rule the Gorgie stand out right away.

We_are_the_Hearts

Maybe it could be like school and people need to put up their hands when they want to go for a pee or to the kiosk and then the steward will let them know if that is OK as long as no one in the row objects to it?

I read on TSFM a guy who takes his kids to football, rugby, ice hockey and basketball.

The fans of all sports got annoyed at one point or another with decisions against them.

But the only hatred came from football.

Control it to keep incidents to a minimum but incidents will happen.

And more than there is just now.

scottish_chicP

I was just about to say that. I had a run in with a woman along from me last Sat as I got out my seat 4 mins before full time to go to the toilet so I missed the queue.

The People's Chimp

I sit in the same section as you I think - I've honestly never noticed a significant problem from week to week. Yeah the queues are a bit on the lengthy side but you have a wait for pies in the Wheatfield too. I don't think I've visited too many grounds where you didn't have a wait. That seems normal to me. Not great but you know, that's just the way it is.

We're imagining some sort of beer related chaos but I can't see the current management team rolling out a trial they haven't thought through. The capacity in each stand is exactly the sort of thing they'll consider a lot I expect.

What's the set-up at Eastlands?

At city it worked well - big concourse, plenty bars, plenty staff. No queues. 

At west ham last season, a set up which is much more like Tynecastle, it was brutal. The queues took the entire half time, and it was pretty much a scrum. I mean I'm not overly bothered either way but it didn't really improve the experience in any way. By the time we got our beer  - after 15 minutes waiting because we stayed to watch the whole 1st half - the 2nd half kicked off and we had to miss 10/15 minutes to drink it. So all the locals who wanted a beer were out their seats to get in the queue, and those who didnt leave ended up straggling in throughout the 2nd half. 

I wasn't fussed because we were at the game on a day out, but if it was happening every week it would be shite. 

It's something I didn't really think of, on one hand it would be great if you could take a beer to your seat, on the other hand you have folk just constantly up and down to the bar.

Maybe only a designated section gets bevvy which means it could be properly stewarded etc and folk can't moan when people are constantly moving. It would be hard to implement but you could probably rule the Gorgie stand out right away.

Loads to think about, certainly. There's probably a lot of stuff they'd need to consider in trial phase. Try different things out or whatever.

I'm amazed that anyone would want to say no to a trial to be honest. You're not implementing it, you're trying it out. What's the harm in that?

"No thanks. We've always done it this way. It's fine as it is. I don't know how it would be rolled out or what the arrangements would be or any detail at all for that matter but I'm still certain I won't like it/it won't work so let's not bother......

.... Anyway, the state of Scottish football by the way. Why is it so stuck in dark ages? Why is it not progressing? Why can't we sell it to sponsors/telly/new fans? Why is the matchday offering so very meh?"

Like bashing your head off a brick wall. :)

As I said I'm not really against it that much, I'm just not massively for it either.

If I could grab a beer and take it to my seat I probably would (even if it was shan lager) but there's also plenty problems I can see arising from it too. Folk ripping the pish out the whole standing up every 5 minutes obviously haven't sat in a row with a pair of bairns who must have every item of the menu every game, but spread out during the game.

You can move away from it if it's a pain but if it's everywhere then... I dunno why people are saying "oh I need to ask permission to go to the toilet" it's nothing to do with needing the toilet after drinking, it's the always having a pint throughout the game that could be an issue.

It might not happen, but I reckon there will be a good few folk that will be like that. Especially bigger groups who go together.

At the end of the day we'll just need to wait and see if it happens, and how strict they are with their rules and enforcing.

Scottish football is fairly shit, and I don't think lager during the game will make it any more of a spectacle. We need summer football. :D

All roads lead to Gorgie

I am in favour for the extra revenue it would bring the club but it is difficult enough to pass the pie queues in the wheatfield concourse as it stands so where would be the best place to serve drinks from. There is the chip van down the stairs at the gorgie end but it would mean a lot of spillages trying to carry your purchase back up from there and then where do you stand, not out in the open if it is raining. The old stand would be even worse. Remember a lot of new built grounds in England and abroad were built with bars already in the plans. If we can answer these questions then let's give it a go.

There seems to be a lot of people over complicating this whole issue.

For me it's pretty simple.

Allow the sale of alcohol upto kick off. Only allow the consumption of the alcohol in the concourses.

Open alcohol sales on the half time whistle up until the 2nd half re starts. Again, only allow consumption in the concourses.

No alcohol can be bought from 2nd half starting.

Game ends and people go home/pub wherever!

It's a fairly simple concept and one for me is a no brainer.

This along with getting tvs back working in the concourses and betting kiosks up and running will get more fans in the stadium earlier and more money for the club.

There seems to be a lot of people over complicating this whole issue.

For me it's pretty simple.

Allow the sale of alcohol upto kick off. Only allow the consumption of the alcohol in the concourses.

Open alcohol sales on the half time whistle up until the 2nd half re starts. Again, only allow consumption in the concourses.

No alcohol can be bought from 2nd half starting.

Game ends and people go home/pub wherever!

It's a fairly simple concept and one for me is a no brainer.

This along with getting tvs back working in the concourses and betting kiosks up and running will get more fans in the stadium earlier and more money for the club.

I agree with all of your post apart from not being able to take your beverage to your seat, why not?

It's also not just about Tynecastle tbf. We're taking about a general trial. Give it a go, see what happens and if it's no good bin it. Better that than no trying it.

Generic Username

If there was some kind of "cap" in place as well to limit the bevy you can buy I'd be all for it otherwise there will be some 19 stone ultramong wanting to buy 12 pints for himself.

As previously posted I do agree with the idea. I still think too many arseholes will ruin it. But why cant the people who are for this go without a drink for ninety minutes or so. Yes as previously mentioned the beer will be piss water. So why pay ?4.00 for example for a plastic cup of piss. When you can take your own flask into the ground and piss your prematch drinks into that and drink it; I am sure it will be stronger compared to what would be served at the game.

I don't think it's going to be compulsory :)

So would we sell beer when Celtic and Rangers come to Tynecastle...

or is it just for the other teams in the league?

I don't think it's going to be compulsory :)

You could make it for JKB paid members only who we all know are all PHM :)  (is that right?)

We_are_the_Hearts

Of course we would.

Personally don't see the point or value in it. I go to Tynie to watch 90 mins of quality football and am happy not to have a drink during that time. Drinking is for before and after IMO.

I'd ban it for all category A games.

Home fans only :smuggy:

In all seriousness, the issues at our pie stands from Celtic fans suggests we shouldn't offer them any facilities. I'm not certain a lager or two would make that any worse.

I'm neither for it nor against it. If ever there was a poll which needed a St Johnstone option its this one.

Drinking pishwater at over inflated prices during the match which would just make me need to pee more doesn't appeal to me.

But, that said, I would like to have that decision to make and wouldn't grudge anyone else who wished to do so.

A_A wehatethehibs

Obvious yes. I see no reason why the set up should be any different in Scotland as it is in England.

Beer and cider only (no double vodka red bulls) and only permitted in the stadium concourse, not at your seat. Plastic bottles of carlsberg or whatever, nothing fancy just keep it simple and allow clubs to generate a small amount of extra income from those who want to chat and have a beer just before the game and at half time. Sale of alcohol ends when the second half begins.

It's a free country and if pubs, supermarkets and restaurants can sell alcohol then there is literally no possible justfication for discriminating against football clubs generating income in this way. 5000 bottles of beer sold at Tynecastle at ?4 a pop is ?20,000 per home game. say 20 home games (inc cups) a season that's ?400k additional turnover per season. Ok its not millions, and not a precise calculation but why would any business say no to extra cash flow.

I don't think Tynecastle and pretty much every football ground in the country has the facilities to maximise any potential revenue from the selling of alcohol, or anything else for that matter.

I visited Chase Field in Phoenix a year or two ago and they certainly know how to get fans to part with cash once in the stadium. Branded food kiosks everywhere with no queues. Bars selling a variety of alcoholic beverages again with no queues. Guys walking round selling snacks and beer to those fans who didn't want to leave their seats. And there was even small stalls selling only spirits if you fancied a few shorts.

It's hard enough to get a pie in the football as it is.

Im sure the could find a way of getting from Wheatfield into big pitch behind stand, put up beer tents (like Germany) and only be 'open for business' before game, h/t and after game.

Wee bit life advice for you.  Some one with a different opinion to yours does not necessarily mean they are a "weirdo"

Wee bit life advice for you.  Some one with a different opinion to yours does not necessarily mean they are a "weirdo"

He's got a point though, some of them are just embarrassing.

The People's Chimp

At city it worked well - big concourse, plenty bars, plenty staff. No queues. 

At west ham last season, a set up which is much more like Tynecastle, it was brutal. The queues took the entire half time, and it was pretty much a scrum. I mean I'm not overly bothered either way but it didn't really improve the experience in any way. By the time we got our beer  - after 15 minutes waiting because we stayed to watch the whole 1st half - the 2nd half kicked off and we had to miss 10/15 minutes to drink it. So all the locals who wanted a beer were out their seats to get in the queue, and those who didnt leave ended up straggling in throughout the 2nd half. 

I wasn't fussed because we were at the game on a day out, but if it was happening every week it would be shite. 

I'm not one for quoting myself, but I am genuinely interested in whether people think the same wouldn't happen at Hearts or how we could deal with it, especially in the main stand where there is even less room than the wheatfield. 

Only thing I can think of would be to fence off an area outside the stand and have an outdoor bar. 

I'm not one for quoting myself, but I am genuinely interested in whether people think the same wouldn't happen at Hearts or how we could deal with it, especially in the main stand where there is even less room than the wheatfield.

Only thing I can think of would be to fence off an area outside the stand and have an outdoor bar.

Under the wheatfield!!!

Archived