Hearts & hibs support idea of alcohol sale trial - do you? *POLL*

redm

Would you support an alcohol trial in Scottish football?  

724 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support an alcohol trial in Scottish football?

How is everyone who buys a beer at the game going to turn into some mad rioting yob?  I'd wager the most anyone would be able to buy would be one or two before the game, 2 pints of Fosters or similar isn't going to turn you into The Hulk is it?

People already drink before and after games, giving them the option to buy a beer at the stadium is common sense and would go a small way to enhancing the fan experience for people who do wish to partake. 

As for not having the facilities, surely it'd just be a few mobile bottle bars that would look like the current hotdog trolleys?  That's what I've seen in other stadiums.  They have plastic bottles which they pour into a plastic cup for you and are then discarded so you can't use them as missiles.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
highlandjambo3

NO....NO....NO......................quite simple really, whilst the majority of fans will behave themselves (like us JKB peeps), we have all heard the minority around about us from time to time, can anyone here honestly say they have been to a match and NEVER heard an adult swear and hurl abuse at someone ............you know the ones that you feel Embarrassed / Angry about, the same fans that parents detest because of the foul and abusive language that spouts out of their mouths infront of young fans/children.....you really want to give them Alcohol................they are probably half cut anyway. 

Think about it.................NO WAY.............NO DANGER.................................................................Wait a minute...............does that not mean they would spend half of their time in a beer queue, or sleeping, or at the toilet??  Hmmm :bomb2: 

Agree with the idea however both sets of supporters have their arsehole element who'd spoil it for everyone.

I fail to see how someone having a maximum of about 2 pints - 1 before the game and 1 at half time (as that is about the maximum most people will have time for) is going to turn otherwise reasonable people into trouble-making arseholes.

Those that turn up already jaked from 6 pints at a local boozer should not be allowed into the turnstyles as per the law on being drunk at football grounds.

One suggestion I'd make for half time is some kind of token system where the beers are already poured and you can buy tokens in advance and just walk up and hand a token over.  Otherwise noone will get a pint for half time if we have the same massive queues we currently have at catering stalls.

It annoyed me a little that this issue is only really now coming up for some proper media discussion because Jim decided he was going to use it as a political football - it deserves better and more genuine consideration than that - but while it's topical I figured we might as well jump on the bandwagon.

Jim's politics are not my thing at all generally speaking but the fact he's championing it isn't a good enough reason for me to decide that I can't support it. The fact that many people can't see past Murphy when it comes to this issue is a bit disappointing. I'm a football fan, I have genuine interest in this subject, so I'm not going to let current party politics distort the position I would take any other day.

:spoton:

Depressing the amount of people who won't debate the subject simply because of who is proposing it.

Here's a question. It may be obvious to most of you, I'm certainly not seeing it, but bear with me. Assuming it is passed and alcohol is allowed in Scottish football grounds again. Many talk about drinking on the concourse only and not on the stands.

My question is why not at your seat? Boiling hot beverages like coffee/bovril is okay. Big cups of cola is okay.

Why not beer?

Here's a question. It may be obvious to most of you, I'm certainly not seeing it, but bear with me. Assuming it is passed and alcohol is allowed in Scottish football grounds again. Many talk about drinking on the concourse only and not on the stands.

My question is why not at your seat? Boiling hot beverages like coffee/bovril is okay. Big cups of cola is okay.

Why not beer?

I agree. Sitting with a cup of beer shouldn't be an issue. They do it in Germany, so the suggestion that it's a FIFA directive isn't true.

I'd definitely stop selling it during the match to minimise disruption, but bought beer should be able to be taken into the stands imo.

Glamorgan Jambo

Why not beer?

I'm fairly sure that's a FIFA regulation i.e. no alcohol consumed within open sight of the pitch at any match worldwide.

I'd be interested to know whether this happens in the MLS as it's totally counter to the American sport watching ethos.

I'm fairly sure that's a FIFA regulation i.e. no alcohol consumed within open sight of the pitch at any match worldwide.

I'd be interested to know whether this happens in the MLS as it's totally counter to the American sport watching ethos.

As noted by Diego, it isn't. It happens all the time.

Whether it happens in MLS, I'm unsure, but I had a beer at baseball.

I agree. Sitting with a cup of beer shouldn't be an issue. They do it in Germany, so the suggestion that it's a FIFA directive isn't true.

I'd definitely stop selling it during the match to minimise disruption, but bought beer should be able to be taken into the stands imo.

When to sell it is something to find out in the trial, IMO. If it was fifteen minutes only that would just increase the queuing congestion. Would folk really be up at the bar every five mins? Would it be better to have it open from, say 2:00 to 2:55 then 3:30 to 4:15?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Er, no. You can quite openly drink at your seat here!

loveofthegame

NO....NO....NO......................quite simple really, whilst the majority of fans will behave themselves (like us JKB peeps), we have all heard the minority around about us from time to time, can anyone here honestly say they have been to a match and NEVER heard an adult swear and hurl abuse at someone ............you know the ones that you feel Embarrassed / Angry about, the same fans that parents detest because of the foul and abusive language that spouts out of their mouths infront of young fans/children.....you really want to give them Alcohol................they are probably half cut anyway. 

Think about it.................NO WAY.............NO DANGER.................................................................Wait a minute...............does that not mean they would spend half of their time in a beer queue, or sleeping, or at the toilet??  Hmmm :bomb2: 

Where to even start....

People that want to get drunk before the football get drunk already, regardless of the fact that they can't buy a bevvy inside. Selling over-priced low alcohol lager won't change that. The fact that you won't be able to take your drink to your seat will also discourage folk from having more than 1 or 2 in the ground (say 1 before, 1 at H/T).

Anyone that genuinely believes that this will have a significant impact on crowd behaviour is having a laugh. It is like some folk seem to think that people will be walking in sober on best behaviour, get in the ground order and drink 3 bottles of bucky throughout the game, get aggressive and launch themselves at the players/away support. 

It won't happen. Football has moved on due to better segregation and all seater stadiums. One or two beers during the game arent going to take us back to the 80s FFS.

And sober folk swear at football too.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The 1980 riot - tanked up Weegies bringing in cases of Tennent's with semi-clad women on the side, running around terraces.

2015 - weak piss served in a plastic cup between certain times then returning to their seats.

Spot the difference!

I'd see a bigger argument for it if you could take it to your seat but at the same time i'd be ****ing pissed off if folk were up and down every 2 minutes in your row because they fancy a pint.

NO....NO....NO......................quite simple really, whilst the majority of fans will behave themselves (like us JKB peeps), we have all heard the minority around about us from time to time, can anyone here honestly say they have been to a match and NEVER heard an adult swear and hurl abuse at someone ............you know the ones that you feel Embarrassed / Angry about, the same fans that parents detest because of the foul and abusive language that spouts out of their mouths infront of young fans/children.....you really want to give them Alcohol................they are probably half cut anyway.

Think about it.................NO WAY.............NO DANGER.................................................................Wait a minute...............does that not mean they would spend half of their time in a beer queue, or sleeping, or at the toilet?? Hmmm :bomb2:

Are you on crack?!

Some peoples arguments for no alcohol in grounds is awful.

Currently people can have as many drinks as they want pre match, roll into stadiums smashed bang on kick off and have foul mouthed rants and go to the toilet 2 or 3 times a game anyway!

Allowing alcohol to be served in the stadium doesn't make for more drunk people in the stadium! If someone wants to get drunk before a match they will do it out with the stadium!

Turnstiles are only open 90 mins? before ko. so u can hav 3 or 4 max and that's if you're in the ground quite early.

Plastic glasses and no alcohol at your seat just like they do down South - with absolutely no issues at all!

I've been to Goodison, Old Trafford, St James', stadium of light, craven cottage, the valley, the new den and Wembley and had a pre match pint in the stadium and sometimes one at half time as well.

To me it's a no brainer just a shame there's a fair few people on here with no brains!

Thats not true though, when I was at a Dortmund game last year I was drinking in the stands and no-one told me it wasn't allowed, it would be stupid if you couldn't take it to your seat, just another pointless restriction that would make no sense.

loveofthegame

I'm not sure of the precise rule but I was lucky enough to get invited to hospitality at a Scotland Euro qualifier recently and even in the glass fronted private box away from pretty much anyones prying eyes we weren't allowed a bevvy at h/t, which seemed ridiculous.

Not sure who was to blame for that one though, whether it was the SFA, UEFA, FIFA or whoever.

I'd see a bigger argument for it if you could take it to your seat but at the same time i'd be ******* pissed off if folk were up and down every 2 minutes in your row because they fancy a pint.

That is just scraping the barrel for excuses, people talking about having to stand up for 2 seconds to let someone out for a pish or to go and get a pint, it's not like someone having 1 or 2 extra pints is going to mean they need 6 pisses each half.

is that really a big deal? Some people let the most trivial things annoy them.

These are the things that really matter.

Bet you'll no have that tune when the over ambitious boy in the row behind you carrying 4 pints has just spilled half one down the back of your heid.

That is just scraping the barrel for excuses, people talking about having to stand up for 2 seconds to let someone out for a pish or to go and get a pint, it's not like someone having 1 or 2 extra pints is going to mean they need 6 pisses each half.

It's nothing to do with going for a pish.

It's buying a pint to take to your seat, then finishing and getting up for another one.  It would obviously happen.  It's bad enough when all the fat ***** decide to get up 10 minutes before HT so they can get a pie, never mind constantly throughout the game.

It's nothing to do with going for a pish.

It's buying a pint to take to your seat, then finishing and getting up for another one.  It would obviously happen.  It's bad enough when all the fat ***** decide to get up 10 minutes before HT so they can get a pie, never mind constantly throughout the game.

Your at a football match with 16,000 other people, you just have to cope with other people not doing exactly as you would like them too. Deal with it.

Scotland must be about the only country in Europe where supporters are not allowed to have a beer inside the ground. It's surely eminently sensible to try and get the supporters into the ground as early as possible and where they can be policed properly. I am an SNP supporter and the party have to take the common-sense approach to this issue and allow alcohol to be sold inside the stadia before matches. If it's good enough for middle-class rugby supporters then it should be good enough for football supporters. Of course there would be no bar for specific games (at least initially) i.e. OF or Hibs. But the point is this ban is really extreme since as we all know supporters are drinking before the games anyway but outwith the stadia. Far better (and much more sensible) to get them into the grounds.

Greece has no alcohol as well and same with all competitions run directly by UEFA. In Germany you can have beer delivered to your seat. If the bars shut 15 minutes before KO and re-open at HT I'd see no need for a ban for any games as you could never get as much down your neck as you can get in a pub. Just a nice earner for the clubs.

Thats not true though, when I was at a Dortmund game last year I was drinking in the stands and no-one told me it wasn't allowed, it would be stupid if you couldn't take it to your seat, just another pointless restriction that would make no sense.

Agreed. In Dusseldorf in September beer was delivered to the row you sat in by guys carrying beer pumps. You held up the appropriate number of fingers, passed the money along the line and the beer was passed back to you as you sat. It worked fine and the atmosphere with about 11,000 for League 3 was excellent. Not sure if the same system would work so well for having a piss, though.

chester copperpot

I think the point about not allowing to your seat witha bevvy is a fair point.

Although you're allowed a juice and a bovril down with you, you'd get the steamers who would not normally buy a bovril or juice buying pints and spilling them everywhere pissing people off no end.

Why not beer?

And how on earth is that going to be policed?

Extra staff costs? Doubtful

I've never quite understood the disparity between clubs employing the best athletes yet will sell and advertise the unhealthiest food and drink (if they did introduce alcohol) possible. It's a bit disappointing Hearts even want to trial this to be honest.

I don't why they can't introduce it for everyone else and not the Old Firm. They have their own set of rules anyway, let this be another one. I'd maybe stop it for Edinburgh derbies as well, but for any other game I don't see how people drinking a couple of pints during the match would be much of a problem.

highlandjambo3

Are you on crack?!

Some peoples arguments for no alcohol in grounds is awful.

Currently people can have as many drinks as they want pre match, roll into stadiums smashed bang on kick off and have foul mouthed rants and go to the toilet 2 or 3 times a game anyway!

Allowing alcohol to be served in the stadium doesn't make for more drunk people in the stadium! If someone wants to get drunk before a match they will do it out with the stadium!

Turnstiles are only open 90 mins? before ko. so u can hav 3 or 4 max and that's if you're in the ground quite early.

Plastic glasses and no alcohol at your seat just like they do down South - with absolutely no issues at all!

I've been to Goodison, Old Trafford, St James', stadium of light, craven cottage, the valley, the new den and Wembley and had a pre match pint in the stadium and sometimes one at half time as well.

To me it's a no brainer just a shame there's a fair few people on here with no brains!

It's an opinion mate.......my opinion..................no need to be rude

I've never quite understood the disparity between clubs employing the best athletes yet will sell and advertise the unhealthiest food and drink (if they did introduce alcohol) possible. It's a bit disappointing Hearts even want to trial this to be honest.

Got to be a wind up?

Rugby, cricket, tennis, golf, horse racing all serve (un)healthy foods and alcohol prior and during sporting events and all employ 'the best athletes' participating.

Again, this thread proves my point over again that a lot of football fans are thick.

I think the point about not allowing to your seat witha bevvy is a fair point.

Although you're allowed a juice and a bovril down with you, you'd get the steamers who would not normally buy a bovril or juice buying pints and spilling them everywhere pissing people off no end.

So, I can get a scalding hot beverage if pissed and risk spilling but not a beer?

LOUD NOISES!

PS. You're post is a load of balls.

Got to be a wind up?

Rugby, cricket, tennis, golf, horse racing all serve (un)healthy foods and alcohol prior and during sporting events and all employ 'the best athletes' participating.

Again, this thread proves my point over again that a lot of football fans are thick.

As other sports do this then that makes it right? You may not have noticed however a lot of people in this country are overweight and live unhealthy lifestyles, many of them being middle aged men who attend football matches. I'm just saying clubs could be doing a lot more to promote well being, it's not often an organisation has customers of such a specific demographic.

Got to be a wind up?

To be fair, horses don't drink lager.

Preventing people from taking booze to their seats - if thats the policy.

Apologies, wasn't sure what you were referring to. I'd guess that the stewards that currently stop you walking along the gangway between upper and lower will be tasked with stopping folk carrying beer.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Preventing people from taking booze to their seats - if thats the policy.

Hiding plastic cups is fraught with the danger of making it look like you have pissed yourself.

boabyarsebiscuit

Wrong. I've taken drinks to my seat at Ajax, AZ, Utrecht, Servette, Lens, Zurich, and at the FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

As other sports do this then that makes it right? You may not have noticed however a lot of people in this country are overweight and live unhealthy lifestyles, many of them being middle aged men who attend football matches. I'm just saying clubs could be doing a lot more to promote well being, it's not often an organisation has customers of such a specific demographic.

Great idea. No high fat or salty snacks at the kiosks, only water to drink and exercise machines on the concourse.

Apologies, wasn't sure what you were referring to. I'd guess that the stewards that currently stop you walking along the gangway between upper and lower will be tasked with stopping folk carrying beer.

Yep - and people will listen to them, bin the beers, or go back and finish them off like good boys and girls.

Like closing time in pubs, people never ever get arsey when told to finish up their beers and give staff grief.

Im just glad the stewards are such highly paid professionals that get such respect that they wouldnt ever need to handle any trouble should it arise as the crowd are generally so respectful that they would listen and obey them without question.

Thats probably why the no smoking rule is adhered to at half time and the toilets are never ever a trashed disaster area of blocked sinks, urinals or broken and splintered doors.

We should reward such careful people with beer.

We_are_the_Hearts

Some of the arguments from the NO voters are hilarious, we do have some weirdos in our support lol.........................

Yep - and people will listen to them, bin the beers, or go back and finish them off like good boys and girls.

Like closing time in pubs, people never ever get arsey when told to finish up their beers and give staff grief.

Im just glad the stewards are such highly paid professionals that get such respect that they wouldnt ever need to handle any trouble should it arise as the crowd are generally so respectful that they would listen and obey them without question.

Thats probably why the no smoking rule is adhered to at half time and the toilets are never ever a trashed disaster area of blocked sinks, urinals or broken and splintered doors.

We should reward such careful people with beer.

:laugh:

I'm saying that stopping folk taking drinks to their seat is ridiculous, by the way!

Personally I'd rather wait until after the game for a proper beer instead of paying over the odds for a warm plastic cup of tennants (or similar piss-water), however folk should have the option. They shouldn't be allowed to drink it in the stands though as inevitably beer will be launched all over folks heads.

Agree with all of this.

I'd like to see a panel system implemented at every point in the stadium where alcohol will be served. 4 judges on each panel, potentially including one ex-player to keep waiting fans happy.

Each judge would have a buzzer, which illuminates a neon "X" above their heads like those on Britain's Got Talent. I accept this policy may cost a bit to install so would accept judges holding up signs with a big "X" on them.

They'd be asked to judge the person willing to buy alcohol and would take into account a number a variables; likely bladder size, potential to cause trouble (jakieness), current state of drunkeness etc. If three of the four judges gave you an "X" it's no beer I'm afraid. If it 2 yes's and 2 no's the ex-player as senior judge has the deciding vote. 3 yes's and you're obviously fine but 4 yes's would see you earn a bonus prize (fish in a bag, signed photo of Peter van de Ven etc.).

Obviously this is going to deny certain groups the chance of a drink; the elderly, people who attempt to pay using handfulls of loose change, those actually wearing a Hearts strip and the Stone Island brigade. But to be honest if you choose to go to the football looking like a Liam ****ing Gallagher wannabe then that's the way the cookie crumbles.

You'd be lucky to get tennents.

Plastic cup lager is ALWAYS fosters or carling.

Biggest downside to the fringe.

Not necessarily, Heineken at the Fringe...

Anyway, this would be a big marketing thing for people involved at the top of our game. A chance to get an official sponsored beer provider. The guys in charge couldn't get that wrong, could they?

Archived