Hearts & hibs support idea of alcohol sale trial - do you? *POLL*

redm

Would you support an alcohol trial in Scottish football?  

724 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support an alcohol trial in Scottish football?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hearts-and-hibs-keen-for-alcohol-sale-trial-1-3693632

Been chatting a bit about this subject in the last few days thanks to Jim Murphy's insistence on making it a political issue in advance of the elections. I never used to have strong feelings on the issue but in recent months I've come to realise that I probably do support bringing it back, or trialing it at very least. It could be a great revenue stream for Scottish clubs - clubs that desperately need to find new ways of bringing in cash and improving the match day experience. Goodness knows we need to all try what we can, especially in the face of increasing amounts of silly money in the game south of the border. A few mates of mine went to some beer tent at an away game this season and mentioned how great it was, I enjoyed a drink or two at the Etihad when I visited and managed not to turn into a 90 minute hooligan, and I know other similar ideas have been discussed in recent months and I can't help wonder why the heck we shouldn't be given the chance to try this stuff out.

I've heard many people say "Ach, why can't folk just go 90 minutes without a drink?" and it's not really the point, or least I don't think it is. Why don't they ever ask the same question about a concert, or a rugby match? You don't have to buy a drink, but for those who want to why shouldn't there be an opportunity? Especially if it benefits the club and improves the match day package for some supporters?

Furthermore, I'm getting increasingly fed up of being told we're incapable (as a collective group of supporters) of making responsible decisions or behaving ourselves in the presence of a beer or two and I'm definitely sick of listening to the pontifications of folk who have never been near a football ground in their lives, or not since the 80s anyway. I'm also fed up listening to people talking about 'Scottish football' when what they're really discussing and describing is the Old Firm and its associated problems.

What do you lot think? We go to football in a segregated, stewarded, policed and generally pretty damn safe environment. Attitudes and behaviours have changed a lot since the 80s, football is a different ball game in many ways. Is it time to give booze a go again in certain conditions? Old Firm, derbies and games with high potential for narky fans should be ruled out obviously - that's just common sense - but why not try it for other fixtures?

That's my own views on it, thought it might be interesting to see how it goes in a poll....   :)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how could be any worse than folk getting tanked up before they go into grounds.

Plus, as a friend of mine said not too long ago, they serve alcohol in hospitality/corporate suits. A suit doesn't stop someone from being a drunken bamstick!

Bridge of Djoum

I think a trial is a good idea, as long as it's kept away from those 2. You just know they will make an erse of it. But then, I suppose the GFA will say they didn't do anything wrong, they'll get away with it and the trial will be a success!

Personally I'd rather wait until after the game for a proper beer instead of paying over the odds for a warm plastic cup of tennants (or similar piss-water), however folk should have the option. They shouldn't be allowed to drink it in the stands though as inevitably beer will be launched all over folks heads.

Francis Albert

It works fine in England. The queues for drinks are always so long that you are more likely to sober up by drinking at the ground than to get drunk (or drunker).

Hospitality is the only way to get hammered inside a ground.

Redm 'We go to football in a segragated, stewarded, policed and generally pretty damn safe environment.'

Please let's keep it that way. The football experience has moved on (Ibrox excluded) drink and the effects will drag us backwards.

Bridge of Djoum

Redm 'We go to football in a segragated, stewarded, policed and generally pretty damn safe environment.'

Please let's keep it that way. The football experience has moved on (Ibrox excluded) drink and the effects will drag us backwards.

Yes and no.

It's also moved on to the point where in the vast majority of Europe, you can buy a beer at the game, and it's no problem.

If a good majority of people want this, and it's approved, wouldn't you think that's better than just giving in to the pathetic, moronic minority who will use any excuse to be an arsehole at the football?

Not at all, it just means people won't need to drink as much in the pub beforehand as they know they can get a pint at the game, I'm all for it, works well in other countries so I don't know why it can't work here.

ToadKiller Dog

Most of Europe manages to operate booze sales in grounds without a problem . I don't think we will be any different . People who want to get pissed will do so with or without the rule being lifted . Good stewarding should stop the very pissed .

The days of somebody pissing down yer back are long gone as are tins of beer filled with urine being launched at others . The law change won't bring that back .

Clubs should be able to compete with the local pubs , would stick to the usual myself

Francis Albert

Yes and no.

It's also moved on to the point where in the vast majority of Europe, you can buy a beer at the game, and it's no problem.

If a good majority of people want this, and it's approved, wouldn't you think that's better than just giving in to the pathetic, moronic minority who will use any excuse to be an arsehole at the football?

Interestingly the only games in England you can't buy alcohol in the ground are European games, so UEFA don't seem to be convinced..

Bridge of Djoum

Interestingly the only games in England you can't buy alcohol in the ground are European games, so UEFA don't seem to be convinced..

Ah, I did not know that.

Isn't that because of sponsorship though? (Heineken)

chester copperpot

If anything it may help the 'issue'.

As a previous alcohol glutton, I used to fit as many pints down my throat prior to a derby however if I'd known that I could have a couple at the game then that wouldn't have been an issue for me.

People will do it regardless so I dont see the benefits of a ban. People will find a way and this way it can be controlled in the right fashion.

Are we talking about consuming the beer at a bar area in the concourse - or being able to buy a pint beer then take it to your seat in the stand?

I have no problem with the first option, however from my experience at Murrayfield where you can take your pint of beer to your seat, there are issues with drunks spilling their beer down the back of fans in front of them. I have witnessed this a few times and as rugby crowds tend to be a bit more 'civilised' it has not caused too much bother - but at a football match??

If the domestic game was run as European and World football is run by UEFA and FIFA it would be in a far worse state than it is at present though.

Bridge of Djoum

If the domestic game was run as European and World football is run by UEFA and FIFA it would be in a far worse state than it is at present though.

Hmmmm, German football is THE model for native ownership and fan experience. Low prices, beer at games, standing areas, packed stadiums. This should be our template. 

Scotland must be about the only country in Europe where supporters are not allowed to have a beer inside the ground. It's surely eminently sensible to try and get the supporters into the ground as early as possible and where they can be policed properly. I am an SNP supporter and the party have to take the common-sense approach to this issue and allow alcohol to be sold inside the stadia before matches. If it's good enough for middle-class rugby supporters then it should be good enough for football supporters. Of course there would be no bar for specific games (at least initially) i.e. OF or Hibs. But the point is this ban is really extreme since as we all know supporters are drinking before the games anyway but outwith the stadia. Far better (and much more sensible) to get them into the grounds.

Bridge of Djoum

Scotland must be about the only country in Europe where supporters are not allowed to have a beer inside the ground. It's surely eminently sensible to try and get the supporters into the ground as early as possible and where they can be policed properly. I am an SNP supporter and the party have to take the common-sense approach to this issue and allow alcohol to be sold inside the stadia before matches. If it's good enough for middle-class rugby supporters then it should be good enough for football supporters. Of course there would be no bar for specific games (at least initially) i.e. OF or Hibs. But the point is this ban is really extreme since as we all know supporters are drinking before the games anyway but outwith the stadia. Far better (and much more sensible) to get them into the grounds.

I fear it's good enough for the middle classes in any sport, apart from football, which is assumed working class. That is if you remove the fact it's getting harder for the working classes to afford to go regularly to games.

It's beyond ridiculous to think that the amount of alcohol fans could consume within the stadium could be to blame for any sort of crowd trouble.

1. No one going to a game would be able to get THAT pissed within the ground without missing a considerable amount of the football. Which is unlikely to happen.

2. There would I assume be a limit on the number of drinks one person could buy at any time, and a strict policy on not selling to persons clearly worse for wear.

3. Anyone who has been drinking in the ground and is reeking would have got into the ground reeking. Which is a completely separate issue entirely.

4. We're talking about lager. It's not like they'll be serving up yards of ale to fans competing in boat races where the losing team are forced to do a flaming sambuca followed by a shot of vodka through the eye.

Nelly Terraces

4 quid for some fizzy piss in a plastic beaker in the freezing cold. Nah, yer alright cheers, but if other folk want to indulge, then why shouldn't they be allowed to.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Don't like Murphy at all.

I'd like to see this happen though. **** necking pints before the game like they are about to go off.

Good idea... Murphy is still a total bellend though.

Its a no from me.

All Sevco and Celtic fans have now been given permission to sing whatever filth they want. They do it already without drinking in the stadiums.

Imagine if they were getting tanked up in front of your eyes singing filth and police Scotland  standing by not taking any action because Regan and Doncaster said they are doing nothing wrong.

Then we all have to run the guantlet after the matches, trying to avoid the weegies as they go hunting innocent people down.

A huge no from me.

Its nothing to do with class in my view. I have no recollection of rugger buggers trashing city centres, or invading pitches, or throwing stuff at other fans.

Will removing the ban make that stop. Will it make the games easier to police. Will it reduce domestic violence after OF games? Will it entice families to games?

No.

This is all about a desperate Labour MP ( not MSP mind) seeking a popular vote. I would ask him to travel with his favourite team, and spend time with their travelling support, and then come back and tell us that he supports giving them even more drink inside the ground. 

Not really bothered as i do not drink these days.

I do feel it is wrong for Scottish football fans to be discriminated against. I was listening to the matter being discussed on Sportsound and the Police spokesman was very strongly against the idea . He was of the opinion that Scottish football fans could not be trusted to handle a drink in a responsible way but Rugger fans were more civilized. He used the infamous riot at Hampden between OF fans as a reason. 

My view is that the riot happened because fans used to be allowed into the ground when they were already drunk and carrying unlimited amounts of drink in with them. The football match experience nowadays is totally different . We now have all seated stadiums and fans are for the most part sober when they arrive . A couple of pints in the limited amount of time they are in the ground is hardly going to turn anyone into a drink fuelled crazy.

As regards the hooliganism argument the English Police forces do not seem to have any problems with the way things are organized down there.

Considering the hooliganism problems that English football has had in the past there is no reason to deny Scottish football fans the right to enjoy a drink. Are the Police saying that Scottish fans are less responsible than elsewhere else ? or are they just too lazy to be bothered in case it involves extra work ?

We_are_the_Hearts

Deary me all the pant wetters dramatising this as if fans will be swigging bottles during the game.............it is for BEFORE, HALF TIME AND potentially AFTER..........................it will make no difference to people being tanked up, if they want to be tanked up they will hammer it before they get in..............

I hope they will be serving some decent lager and not watered down pish or they are just wasting everyone's time.

Ive mentioned this before.

It will no doubt be pish lager in a plastic cup. Once the novelty of having a pint in the game is done I can't see many folk desperate to leave the pub early to stand in a concrete concourse and drink stadium lager.

Once you factor in the cost to either put the taps into the existing pie stands, or put new ones in I don't think it'd be a great revenue stream at all. Temporary taps you get at events and stuff are still pretty expensive.

If the club wants to make a decent revenue stream of it they are as well opening up a pub or club in Gorgie, open to everybody.

No, keep things as they are. We seem to be just about OK in this country with levels of disorder, arrests etc pretty well contained around games. I wouldn't want to jeopardise that. Giving people a couple of hours (2:55 to 4:55) to sober up a wee bit isn't a bad thing.

I don't see the need to sell alcohol at a game of football. Too many people at Tynecastle already behave in an unacceptable manner (racism, coin throwing, player abuse) and I think boozing during the game would increase the amount of people acting like idiots.

I personally probably wouldn't purchase a drink if it was on offer, due to the high cost and crap taste no doubt like you get currently at rugby.

But why not give it a trial and see? Currently those too wasted should be getting refused entry into grounds anyway. Alcohol being offered inside the ground isn't going to send someone over the edge. At the end of the day if people want to be an arse and cause trouble at a game, they are going to anyway regardless if sober or drunk. I'd definitely limit the amount allowed to be purchased by each person to 1/2 per match and also restrict consumption to within the concourse/ bar/ purchase area.

Its nothing to do with class in my view. I have no recollection of rugger buggers trashing city centres, or invading pitches, or throwing stuff at other fans.

Will removing the ban make that stop. Will it make the games easier to police. Will it reduce domestic violence after OF games? Will it entice families to games?

No.

This is all about a desperate Labour MP ( not MSP mind) seeking a popular vote. I would ask him to travel with his favourite team, and spend time with their travelling support, and then come back and tell us that he supports giving them even more drink inside the ground. 

You're talking about issues which are, by and large, unique to Old Firm matches or very occasionally derbies, including our own.

Nobody's suggesting that an alcohol sale should happen during those matches - common sense has to apply.

But why discriminate against the many many other fixtures and clubs that don't attract any trouble at all?

Not sure the last time I heard about fans of many clubs outside Glasgow trashing city centres, invading pitches, throwing stuff at other fans or getting their own section in domestic violence stats reports. And families do go to games, that happens every weekend at every ground in the country.

I remain to be convinced how much of a revenue stream this is or to allow already jaked arseholes to drink further in the ground.

Glamorgan Jambo

At the very first event of the 2012 Olympics, a womens football double header at the Millenium stadium, they were selling beer as per usual in the concorses. As the match continued in the blazing sunshine people started to bring their drinks to their seats. There was only about 15K there in a 70K capacity stadium. The VIP area was just behind where I was sitting and I saw Sepp Blatter himself tell the stewards to stop people bringing alcoholic drinks into the stadium. They tried for about 5 minutes and then sensibly just gave up.

It's a FIFA rule that booze can't be consumed within sight of the football pitch (unless you're behind a screen).

At English games you get the ridiculous sight of guys with Carling tanks on their back following people into the toilets at half time to try and sell them a pint which they'll have 5 minutes or so to consume.

By the way I fully support alcohol sales in the stadium.

Good idea... Murphy is still a total bellend though.

Totally agree with Charlie. This would never make me vote for him or his party. That being said, I am not so blinkered that I don't think this should be trialled. Agree with many posters that not when the ar5e cheeks or the h1b5 come to call. My only reservation is that sport is supposed to promote health, offering cr4p burgers and, potentially alcohol, are completely the wrong message to send. However, I am a firm believer that everyone should make thier own choices. If they only offer pints, is that choice? In no way am I teetotal but I haven't drunk a beer for around 20 years. Potentially this could allow the club to use the massive space under the Wheatfield.

I remain to be convinced how much of a revenue stream this is or to allow already jaked arseholes to drink further in the ground.

It's not all about jaked arseholes, there is plenty reasonable people who would enjoy a drink at the game.

See if I could buy drink at the match, I would drink less. Fact. :)

Would you leave the pub to drink a plastic cup of shan lager though? Which would no doubt end up at about ?4.50

As I said I reckon the novelty would wear off.

It's nothing to do with folk not being able to behave just don't see the point implementing it due to cost.

It's not all about jaked arseholes, there is plenty reasonable people who would enjoy a drink at the game.

No but they are the ones who saw it banned to begin with. The minority will ensure this never happens.

Expensive pish water out a plastic cup in a concourse won't shift many out of a pub five minutes up the road IMO.

PS The WRU shift about 250,000 pints during a six nations international.

That is an average of over 3 pints for every man, woman and child attending - seems a bit high no?

A yes from me. Works fine down south and they like a bevvy as much as we do. It's only for before the game and at half time anyway and it might actually stop folk from downing their drinks before the game if they know they can get one at the stadium.

That is the nub of the problem in all aspects of society - it is the ass holes who spoil it for everybody else.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Would you leave the pub to drink a plastic cup of shan lager though? Which would no doubt end up at about ?4.50

As I said I reckon the novelty would wear off.

It's nothing to do with folk not being able to behave just don't see the point implementing it due to cost.

We are of different age groups Cat. I don't head out to get pissed or things like that. Going to the game is two-fold for me. I go to the football to catch up with friends, and to watch Hearts. If I could buy a couple of beers at the game, I'd probably not bother before or after the match.

Personally I think people should have the choice.  So long as folk act responsibly, no problem.  Acting responsibly would include not jumping up in response to something on the park and pouring your pint over those around you.

Maybe we cold have a drinking section...?

That is the nub of the problem in all aspects of society - it is the ass holes who spoil it for everybody else.

I don't think that is the way they should be going about it though, let police deal with any arseholes and let the rest of us get on with it and have a drink if we choose to do so.

Idiots will be idiots no matter what, selling alchohol before the game and at half time isn't going to change that.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I don't think that is the way they should be going about it though, let police deal with any arseholes and let the rest of us get on with it and have a drink if we choose to do so.

Idiots will be idiots no matter what, selling alchohol before the game and at half time isn't going to change that.

can remember the days of drunks wasting the game for other people by there behavour, lots of families at games now, kids should not be subjected to the kind of behavour I E foul language, aggression. In my oppinion this is a backward step and I can see parents stopping there children from going to games.        

can remember the days of drunks wasting the game for other people by there behavour, lots of families at games now, kids should not be subjected to the kind of behavour I E foul language, aggression. In my oppinion this is a backward step and I can see parents stopping there children from going to games.        

plus how would we stop some idiots buying drinks for under 18s?

We are of different age groups Cat. I don't head out to get pissed or things like that. Going to the game is two-fold for me. I go to the football to catch up with friends, and to watch Hearts. If I could buy a couple of beers at the game, I'd probably not bother before or after the match.

Tbf I rarely go out to get hammered before the match.

Like you I'll go for a few pints then head to the game. The pub is a fairly big tradition for the football fan and I just don't personally think a stadium concourse can replicate that.

If I fancied a beer I'd rather go to the pub and get a pint of shite cold lager in a glass, rather than a pint of shite warm lager in a plastic cup :laugh: I think a lot of folk would be the same too.

If you could take your drink to your seat I'd maybe understand but to implement this whole new system for before the match and half time seems pointless to me. No doubt we'd be forced to take on more police and security too (whether needed or not) and the price just quickly racks up when you add in all the factors.

Archived