• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know, I was being mischevous just to annoy you.

The underlying point is that Yes still seem to claim that somehow, they are the "45" and represent that as 45% of the Country.   It isn't.    Anyone who did not vote has no mandate either way so we are left with those who did vote to represent the countries wishes.  And that was 55%.  You shoudl not use non-voters as evidence that neither side had a majority.  More of this on May 7th I expect.

I totally accept the 55-45 result in the referendum.  Actually, as a Yes voter, I am in some ways glad No did win as I wasn't over enamoured by the SNP's inability to guide the YES campaign properly and would have thought as a party with independence as its raison d'etre, they would have had a stronger argument re Europe, economy etc.

But, if people wish to use figures based on the total electorate, then for the reasons of impartiality both sides need mentioned.

Looking good

Camerons body language and attitude over the past couple of days would suggest they have realised this and are changing tactic.

Too little to late, or enough to save or swing a few marginals late in the day?

deesidejambo

Camerons body language and attitude over the past couple of days would suggest they have realised this and are changing tactic.

Too little to late, or enough to save or swing a few marginals late in the day?

I can see frantic phone calls to Farage to sort out some tactical voting strategies.   There will of course be the late swing to the Tories as the "silent Tories" cast their vote. 

Labour need to make a big push in Scotland though.  Cue Milliband up here in the last few days.     They should bring up Prescott & Old Labour folks also.

TheMaganator

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/04/26/nicola-sturgeon-calls-theresa-may-utterly-stupid_n_7146854.html#

More nonsense from our Southern friends and neighbours.

Question to Mag, surely as a dyed in the wool Tory, comments like May's must make you cringe and see it as counter productive?

Yes. She's a nitwit. She's also come out with some utter drivel on immigration in the recent past.

However - when the SNP are talking about shaking the Westminster foundations to their core I hardly think they can then get pant-wetty about Edward VIII comments.

Oooft!

TNS poll has SNP up two at 54 and Labour dowm two at 22.

Tories shortly to be Scotlands second party? Probably not but it would give Mags something to be happy about.

Edited by jambo1185

Yes. She's a nitwit. She's also come out with some utter drivel on immigration in the recent past.

However - when the SNP are talking about shaking the Westminster foundations to their core I hardly think they can then get pant-wetty about Edward VIII comments.

The two are hardly similar.

One is about breathing life into politics, May's comments are entirely undemocratic.

Even the DUP think so!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/26/conservative-party-is-losing-our-support-over-scotland-warns-dup

But, if we are to follow May's logic, any Conservative Govt lacks legitimacy too!

jack D and coke

The two are hardly similar.

One is about breathing life into politics, May's comments are entirely undemocratic.

Even the DUP think so!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/26/conservative-party-is-losing-our-support-over-scotland-warns-dup

But, if we are to follow May's logic, any Conservative Govt lacks legitimacy too!

Nigel Dodds speaking a lot of sense there.

Personally I've been very surprised by the amount of anti scots agenda is coming from both of the main parties and like Dodds says. WM is the party of the Union not an English one lie they're using it at the moment.

If Scotland sends 50 SNP Mp's that is our right and they must deal with it.

Oooft!

TNS poll has SNP up two at 54 and Labour dowm two at 22.

Tories shortly to be Scotlands second party? Probably not but it would give Mags something to be happy about.

I would love the Tories to be the 2nd biggest party in Scotland. Although I disagree with a lot/most of their policies, they are consistent. Labour have gone so far to the right to try and get the Middle England vote that they are not a labour party any more.  

35uz1s.jpg

It's unbelievable the anti-Scottish sentiment being whipped up by the right wing media.  So much for democracy, huh?

I think all this is just helping the SNP as more and more Scots see them as the only party standing up for us, against, let's face it, racist english media

Geoff Kilpatrick

Nigel Dodds speaking a lot of sense there.

Personally I've been very surprised by the amount of anti scots agenda is coming from both of the main parties and like Dodds says. WM is the party of the Union not an English one lie they're using it at the moment.

If Scotland sends 50 SNP Mp's that is our right and they must deal with it.

I normally can't stand Nigel the Undertaker but his analysis of Westminster being the UK parliament is spot on.

I normally can't stand Nigel the Undertaker but his analysis of Westminster being the UK parliament is spot on.

Hands across the water, Geoff! :wink:

Mr Brightside

Labour have gone so far to the right to try and get the Middle England vote that they are not a labour party any more.

Where does that leave the SNP given their manifesto is near identical to Labours. If Labour are too far to the right based on their manifesto then surely the SNP are also too far to the right.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2014/10/12/the-case-for-scotland-making-a-unilateral-declaration-of-independence-in-may-2015/

Just an SNP councillor saying that there should be a UDI on 8 May and that the referendum result is not the settled will of the Scottish people.

Well, we live in a democracy and he is entitled to his opinion.

UDI, or rather a declaration of independence based on a majority of Nationalist MP's was the only way Scotland would have attained Independence in the past.

It's obviously flannel and not party policy as Sturgeon has many times stated that independence is not an issue at this election.

On the greater scale, a local councillor bumping his gums is not at the same level as a cabinet minister basically saying forget the Scots, if they elect SNP MPs they are irrelevant.  But then, I suppose, both of these instances play up to our individual beliefs.  

I just think mine are right and yours are, ahem, misguided.  :wink:

New TNS Scotland poll: SNP 54% (+2), Lab 22% (-2), Con 13% (0), LD 6% (0), Green 2% (-1), UKIP 2% (+1)

anyone think of a campaign in which the polls have been this static? Really amazing.

How long does it take to recover from delirium and hallucinations? Some 45ers will never realise how much the SNP are taking the piss out of them.

Trident could be moved to Gibraltar if required. It'd cost ?3bn and take ten years

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/572986/Gibraltar-Trident-nuclear-submarines-SNP

IMO SNP voters should be levied with an extra tax to pay for it.

From the article "The move would prove more politically palatable than other UK mainland options such as Falmouth."

And "Choosing Gibraltar would avoid the nimbyism question. Any alter?native site in England or Wales would carry political down sides. But Gibraltar has enough patriotism to overcome this."

So, why aren't the Govt sending it there ANYWAY then????

If the Welsh or English are a bit leary at having to have a base for Trident, why is it ok for Scotland to put up with it?

How long does it take to recover from delirium and hallucinations? Some 45ers will never realise how much the SNP are taking the piss out of them.

You tell us! :wink:

Everyone's opinions on politics and how the nation should be run are subjective. The SNPs, Labour, Tory etc.

What Scotland should be like to all can be summed up with general words and many will agree with them. But its still a subjective choice in an election between different visions of Scotland.

Surely loosing intelligent and hard working MPs of any party is not a great thing to see for Scotland objectively?

It's a shame You've scunnered yourself again with an answer chock full of bias. Put your own subjectivity to one side - you have enough conviction to orate your opinion but it is tainted and inadmissible because it does not have an empiricist baseline.

This is a fundamental flaw with with society and unfortunately makes debate difficult around topics such as this. Everyone has a disadvantage as the leading bias and saturation of mass media ensures the population gains opinion through streamlined sources.

The charade of what's being said diversifies away the reality of what would occur. (Prime example - independence referendum from both unionist and nationalist sides)

I have my own opinion. Completely, unassumingly so but its not shared nor regurgitated over and over again because I recognise that in a wider context is it inadmissible.

Aside from that, there is theory based on research and evidence which makes me question a whole range of wild statements which seem not to be challenged, hence my input here for shits and giggles.

The unequivocal downside to any argument put forward by Labour or Conservative is that history is against them. They have a traceable history with documented evidence that can allow any policy, manifesto or opinion to be sliced through, rejected and laughed at because they have (unfortunately in their respective cases) engrained history at Westminster and running the country.

Edited by paleredfox

It's a shame You've scunnered yourself again with an answer chock full of bias. Put your own subjectivity to one side - you have enough conviction to orate your opinion but it is tainted and inadmissible because it does not have an empiricist baseline.

This is a fundamental flaw with with society and unfortunately makes debate difficult around topics such as this. Everyone has a disadvantage as the leading bias and saturation of mass media ensures the population gains opinion through streamlined sources.

The charade of what's being said diversifies away the reality of what would occur. (Prime example - independence referendum from both unionist and nationalist sides)

I have my own opinion. Completely, unassumingly so but its not shared nor regurgitated over and over again because I recognise that in a wider context is it inadmissible.

Aside from that, there is theory based on research and evidence which makes me question a whole range of wild statements which seem not to be challenged, hence my input here for shits and giggles.

The unequivocal downside to any argument put forward by Labour or Conservative is that history is against them. They have a traceable history with documented evidence that can allow any policy, manifesto or opinion to be sliced through, rejected and laughed at because they have (unfortunately in their respective cases) engrained history at Westminster and running the country.

Thank God somebody is Doing His Own Research. Nice to see, paleredfox :2thumbsup:

Edited by Gorgiewave

Again, the SNP shite on any respect for the sovereign will of the Scottish people:

"Nationalist candidate Owen Thompson, who hopes to become the MP for Midlothian, said of last year?s referendum result that: ?It wasn?t a No vote. It was ?not yet?.?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/secret-dossier-lays-bare-snp-push-for-indyref-1-3755156

No, Owen, it was No.

600px-Only_Yes_Means_Yes_Campaign-300x30

Your pain is so deep, I can feel it through the screen. :D

deesidejambo

Again, the SNP shite on any respect for the sovereign will of the Scottish people:

"Nationalist candidate Owen Thompson, who hopes to become the MP for Midlothian, said of last year?s referendum result that: ?It wasn?t a No vote. It was ?not yet?.?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/secret-dossier-lays-bare-snp-push-for-indyref-1-3755156

No, Owen, it was No.

600px-Only_Yes_Means_Yes_Campaign-300x30

This is exactly the problem.   The only solution is another referendum, at which they can get punted again.   Meanwhile let the Banks and Insurance Companies relocate to England just in time for the SNP to realise that the oil revenues are nowhere near their predictions, such that Scotland is hammered by a "Currency Union" that results in poor financial stability.    But that wont stop the, ahem, "45" doing their "we won" jigs in Gerorge Square.

This is exactly the problem.   The only solution is another referendum, at which they can get punted again.   Meanwhile let the Banks and Insurance Companies relocate to England just in time for the SNP to realise that the oil revenues are nowhere near their predictions, such that Scotland is hammered by a "Currency Union" that results in poor financial stability.    But that wont stop the, ahem, "45" doing their "we won" jigs in Gerorge Square.

Polls are showing the SNP with 54% of the vote.

That's pretty significant.

Obviously, it wouldn't necessarily reflect that in a Yes/No referendum, but it's interesting to see that the side that got beat are doing better.

But then again, this election isn't about independence is it?

Nookie Bear

Seriously mate, the only people on this thread banging on about another Referendum and Independence are those that support the Union.  The rest of us have moved on, it is an argument for another day..........maybe in a generation or so

Still nonsense.

Every time you say this, it's nonsense.

And will always be nonsense.

TheMaganator

Seriously mate, the only people on this thread banging on about another Referendum and Independence are those that support the Union.  The rest of us have moved on, it is an argument for another day..........maybe in a generation or so

Not strictly true:

?If we send back that bloc of SNP MPs we will be the rope that that hung parliament hangs on. And that can be our strongest asset. That?s when we twist their arm and get that second referendum.? Mhairi Black

?It wasn?t a No vote. It was ?not yet?. Owen Thomson

as an MP he would push for full fiscal autonomy for Holyrood and that ?independence will follow as the UK economy implodes?. George Kerevan,  

All SNP MP candidates for the 2015 General Election

deesidejambo

lol, the "Once in a Generation" statement again.  Lets revisit that statement after May 8th, where we will see the buck-toothed "45" dancing in George Square again.

doctor jambo

Ed wants rent caps- I agree.

Should be pegged with inflation.

I also would favour profit from rental income to have a higher rate of taxation- say 60% ( this would encourage reinvestment of profit into the housing and any extra generated used to build new social housing)

Would also tax profit generated from UK gambling activity at a similarly prohibitive rate as that applied to tobacco

deesidejambo

Not strictly true:

?If we send back that bloc of SNP MPs we will be the rope that that hung parliament hangs on. And that can be our strongest asset. That?s when we twist their arm and get that second referendum.? Mhairi Black

as an MP he would push for full fiscal autonomy for Holyrood and that ?independence will follow as the UK economy implodes?. George Kerevan,  

So much for "moved on".

doctor jambo

Not strictly true:

Mhairi Black is a mere child, who referred to the "55" as gullible.

LIke the 45 are not so........

On the up side Mhairi could not be described as a career politician with no experience of other jobs, as she has never had any job, be it political or otherwise.

Scotland has veered from the old "shove a red badge on anything and it would get voted in, to the SNP equivalent- utter dross

As a person who has inherited a "political" outlook, rather than thinking it through, and a 20-year-old, what experience of real life will Mhairi Black offer Parliament?

Zero.

Nookie Bear

lol, the "Once in a Generation" statement again.  Lets revisit that statement after May 8th, where we will see the buck-toothed "45" dancing in George Square again.

Maybe they actually said "Once That Older Generation Dies" ?

As a person who has inherited a "political" outlook, rather than thinking it through, and a 20-year-old, what experience of real life will Mhairi Black offer Parliament?

Zero.

So a 20-year old has no voice in parliament, is that what you are saying?  And she's Scotch!  Her vote come the division bell will be next to worthless!

Nice to see you not mentioning her gender though.  That's progress, at least.  :wink:

Zero.

Yeah, let's set an age limit for candidates and also she a bit of a schemie so I don't think you should be allowed to stand unless you've got a certain amount of qualifications and a specificied job. Also anyone who has recieved any type of social welfare shouldn't be allowed.

In fact, it just doesn't seem fair that the SNP are going to get this amount of seats when the candidates aren't worthy and the public are clearly clueless.

So a 20-year old has no voice in parliament, is that what you are saying?  And she's Scotch!  Her vote come the division bell will be next to worthless!

Nice to see you not mentioning her gender though.  That's progress, at least.   :wink:

Nicola Sturgeon is the "gender"-obsessed purzon.

No, I'm saying a 20-year-old has no broad experience of life to offer Parliament. Aren't the self-righteous desperate to get over "career politicians"? That's why they adora Nicola Sturgeon, that's why they adore Mhairi Black, people who had a broad experience of life before politics and can bring all that to Parliament?

Edited by Gorgiewave

Yeah, let's set an age limit for candidates and also she a bit of a schemie so I don't think you should be allowed to stand unless you've got a certain amount of qualifications and a specificied job. Also anyone who has recieved any type of social welfare shouldn't be allowed.

In fact, it just doesn't seem fair that the SNP are going to get this amount of seats when the candidates aren't worthy and the public are clearly clueless.

I said nothing about any of that except her age.

Why not have wee children in Parliament? Doesn't their voice count? They're the Future.

Edited by Gorgiewave

TheMaganator

Nicola Sturgeon is the "gender"-obsessed purzon.

No, I'm saying a 20-year-old has no broad experience of life to offer Parliament. Aren't the self-righteous desperate to get over "career politicians"? That's why they adora Nicola Sturgeon, that's why they adore Mhairi Black, people who had a broad experience of life before politics and can bring all that to Parliament?

Exactly. What does she have to offer her constituents at her age? 

We need the best and the brightest and those that are able to add weight to the very important task of running the country. 

She has nothing to offer. She will do as she is told. It truly will disgrace the people of Paisley if they elect her. 

Let's not forget that she was talking, in the last 6 months, about how much she wanted to punch labour supporters after the referendum. 

If people genuinely feel that she is one of the 59 people that will best represent Scotland then fair enough. 

Can I ask the SNP fan boys - if she was an independent candidate, would you consider giving her your vote? 

To be fair, 20 does seem a touch young to be an MP.

She'll certainly keep her PR man busy.

But if you can vote at 16....

Yes, age may bring a certain perspective on things, but it may also deprive the political vigour and enthusiasm that the young can possess.  Idealism and to an extent naivety are not necessarily bad things.

We need the best and the brightest and those that are able to add weight to the very important task of running the country. 

She has nothing to offer. She will do as she is told. It truly will disgrace the people of Paisley if they elect her. 

Let's not forget that she was talking, in the last 6 months, about how much she wanted to punch labour supporters after the referendum. 

If people genuinely feel that she is one of the 59 people that will best represent Scotland then fair enough

Can I ask the SNP fan boys - if she was an independent candidate, would you consider giving her your vote? 

Wait a minute, mags.

You can't say it would truly disgrace a town and then say if people she would best represent then fair enough.

Which is it to be ?

If people genuinely feel that she is one of the 59 people that will best represent Scotland then fair enough. 

I'm certainly not an SNP fan boy, but if I were why would I consider voting for an independent candidate?

Could you not ask this question of 99% of candidates. This smacks of you looking at something which is quite normal in british politics, seeing it's the SNP and choosing to be shocked because it's expedient.