The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Geoff Kilpatrick

It gives the SNP something to mull over, sure.

Indeed. It also means the SNP have a pretty weak hand.

Their big advantage is the ability to distance themselves for any total ******-ups, which will inevitably happen.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wait! Politicians lie and coerce people? Quick go tell the media. You can't keep this to yourself! Its too important.

Christ, some of you people have disengaged your brains and let your emotions run wild. Stop. And then think, 'is this thing I'm writing interesting, novel, germaine or atleast not wildly hypocritical?' If it doesn't tick one of those boxes just close the browser.

It seems to be the SNP devout followers who think all other parties are evil and theirs is whiter than white. It wasn't really directed at you that post although it fell as a neat quote to come in on. More at those who seem to believe Nicky is pure and the SNP are in business to truly look out for the little guy and not just say whatever will get them votes.

Im not surprised by what's going on at all, the SNP are no different to any other part. But its totally fair to call them out on their b.s.

I agree politicians are generally cyncical liars. Im not the one trying to pretend otherwise as a worrying number of fanatics seem to be on a daily basis.

Its truly baffling how some people can be so critical of politicians and parties and yet so blind when it comes to the party at the end of their nose.

(so basically i think we are on the same page)

Edited by jambo1185

Indeed. It also means the SNP have a pretty weak hand.

Their big advantage is the ability to distance themselves for any total ******-ups, which will inevitably happen.

They can continue their current position of anything good is down to them, anything bad is nothing to do with them.

Also good to see Ruth calling them out on their ridiculous EVEL position today. Formally codify what the SNP have been doing off their own back since they went to Westminster and its somehow according to them an abhorrent, unjust, breach of democracy.

Geoff Kilpatrick

They can continue their current position of anything good is down to them, anything bad is nothing to do with them.

Also good to see Ruth calling them out on their ridiculous EVEL position today. Formally codify what the SNP have been doing off their own back since they went to Westminster and its somehow according to them an abhorrent, unjust, breach of democracy.

The other thing worth nothing about EVEL is that it has been Tory policy since the 2005 election and the Tories polled highest in England in both those elections. I'm surprised the Tories haven't used that to justify them putting it forward.

The other thing worth nothing about EVEL is that it has been Tory policy since the 2005 election and the Tories polled highest in England in both those elections. I'm surprised the Tories haven't used that to justify them putting it forward.

Particularly given the Lib Dems are in favour as well it seems odd it didn't come early in this parliament.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Particularly given the Lib Dems are in favour as well it seems odd it didn't come early in this parliament.

I think they blocked any constitutional change after the AV vote failed. After all, they blocked the Tory plan for equal sized electorates which of course was "gerrymandering" according to the likes of Polly Toynbee!

tories are only interested in votes. LD want much more and are against the tory proposals of separate sittings. Constitutional convention required and setting up a federal system.

Guest Trapper John

Another scraping from the bottom of the barrel  of Scottish life or as it is better known, an SNP election candidate.

I hope all you boys are looking forward to the lowest of the low representing you and your cult in Westminster in a couple of weeks.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/572961/Bigoted-language-shame-would-be-SNP-MP

Mind you, that's all he'll be doing. Now that you've effectively been locked out of any decision making by the Tories and Labour, guys like this will have plenty of time on their hands down south to catch up on their tweeting and other social media hobbies.

Well played Nicola and co.

Edited by Trapper John

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

I was answering your suggestion that it was only salmond who was telling the world that this was a once in a lifetime /generation chance to vote on Indy .going by your comments you sound about as loyal to the referendum vote as salmond and sturgeon.

Answer the question. You can swap Sturgeon's name in for Salmond if you'd like.

You haven't been reading my posts if you think I'm not "loyal" to the referendum result. I think you're just being hysterical. How embarrassing for you.

If its in the manifesto and they get a majority there will be a mandate for a referendum and it will go ahead. But thats a separate point to whether its right for it to be in the manifesto at all for a "generation", or whether voters were misled/lied to during the last campaign.

I thank those who posted after this for answering the point more succinctly than I could. I can now go and attend to grass that is not going to cut itself.

I assume that's the point you're referring to. 2nafish has already dismantled it. 

Should the Conservatives not be allowed to control the NHS if they win the election because they lied about no top-down reorganisation? The Lib Dems higher education policy?

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Pledging to cap rents and bringing rents down are not synonymous.

Building more is an excellent idea until you come up against the NIMBY people and the green belt brigade.

NIMBYs and the green belt brigade should be told to **** off. This is in the national interest, and, in my view, the state should directly intervene.

If relaxing planning laws and more construction brings down the value of more expensive properties then that's pretty much a stealth inheritance tax - something the lefties should like. 

But this is one part of the Labour housing policy. Have rent control (and that's not a bad thing to me) whilst pushing for more social and affordable housing to be built - aim is 200,000 homes per year.

Considering rents in Edinburgh last year increased by 12% on average (living rent campaign) you've got to ask yourself where the fairness and realism is in the rental market. Wages certainly don't match that. It's time we saw a system of rent control and reform to make rent more affordable and tenancies more secure.

Due to the changes in the price of housing over 20 years and the low numbers being built we need to see planning rules changes, council tax overhauled and the green light given to local government to start building stocks back up. Part of the issue in housing now, and a reason the housing benefits budget is huge, is because rent is not affordable anymore to a working wage. That needs to change and if it means government steps in then good. It will save the country millions and we can spend that money more productively.

Rent controls, more public house building, more building on brown field sites, tenancy security and reform of the council tax to make rent and housing more affordable is the key here.

The housing crisis was born out of the right to buy and not building stocks to replace what was sold. Council housig was in surplus and kept prices low. We need that to happen again to really make housing affordable.

Have you read anything at all about the effects of rent controls? It's not good.

Introduce rent controls now and landlords will simply not upkeep properties. Profits will be down, and where else are people going to move? There's a shortage of properties. 

Rent controls are a populist sticking plaster, at best. 

The (or a) German view on the British election: no big ideas, parochial policies, no concept of the world beyond Britain and a nation on the verge of wrecking itself.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/26/election-2015-german-amazed-obsess-selfies-ignoring-big-issues?CMP=fb_gu

Maybe a tad over the top, but it's interesting to see how things like UKIP, a referendum on the EU and the rise of the SNP is being viewed by some abroad. And how there are positives in our electoral system to view as positives.

Why do you say that ?

For the rights and wrongs of many politicians there are some who are genuinely very good at their job and have a lot to offer their nation. Douglas Alexander is one I count as offering that. Whilst Scottish Labour is clearly not flavour of the month on here, nor the Liberal Democrats, they do both provide Scotland some first class representatives - Alexander, Kennedy, Campbell, Begg, Jamieson, Murphy to name a few.

Many of these people, and more of them, have represented their constituents and Scotland and the UK well over time. And if they are swept away by popular demand of the people then that is democracy, but it is a loss to Scotland being represented by knowledgeable, capable and hardworking men and women.

There is dross, elected and seeking election, in all parties. Mhairi Black does not strike me as a being capable of doing her job well. For the sake of Paisley (never thought I'd say that) I hope she proves me wrong. But she said it in the off in her interview there, "it's not me, it's what the SNP are saying". The narrative they have founded is a good one, if not very similar to those they are opposed to and my fear is many good and effective politicians of all parties, and those looking for seats (the Scottish Greens for one) will be lost to people not fit for it.

I'm also skeptical here because SNP selection processes have shown in the recent Holyrood session to have let people clearly unable to be an MSP and who have bad back stories. See the ex-Dunfermline MSP for that. This week we've seen Neil Hay in Edinburgh South West be shown to be unfit for his candidacy and no action taken.

I hope on the day Scotland votes how it wants. But I think this SNP juggernaut will let some unfit people in and kick out some excellent MPs who've gave Scotland and their constituents a great service. Mhairi Black does not strike me as capable of doing the job well, she'll be a great SNP mouthpiece but not a great MP.

And as a Labour voter I've seen plenty mouthpieces in Scotland to know one when I see one.

NIMBYs and the green belt brigade should be told to **** off. This is in the national interest, and, in my view, the state should directly intervene.

If relaxing planning laws and more construction brings down the value of more expensive properties then that's pretty much a stealth inheritance tax - something the lefties should like. 

Have you read anything at all about the effects of rent controls? It's not good.

Introduce rent controls now and landlords will simply not upkeep properties. Profits will be down, and where else are people going to move? There's a shortage of properties. 

Rent controls are a populist sticking plaster, at best. 

Surely if the values of property reduced it would be the exact opposite of a stealth IHT.

You read too much Tory propaganda when you say landlords will simply not upkeep properties.  What are they going to do with them?  Let them rot? Doubt it.  Sell them?  Good that will reduce prices even further as the market is flooded with landlords offloading property otherwise going derelict.

"It is a loss to Scotland"

What Scotland?

Your Scotland from a subjective viewpoint or a Scotland from an objective viewpoint?

Anyone and everyone can make a subjective case and viable point based on their own interpretation, narrative and experience.

The true virtue is being objective and putting aside subjectivity rather than spieling post after post of regurgitated content.

Edited by paleredfox

dobmisterdobster

The (or a) German view on the British election: no big ideas, parochial policies, no concept of the world beyond Britain and a nation on the verge of wrecking itself.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/26/election-2015-german-amazed-obsess-selfies-ignoring-big-issues?CMP=fb_gu

Maybe a tad over the top, but it's interesting to see how things like UKIP, a referendum on the EU and the rise of the SNP is being viewed by some abroad. And how there are positives in our electoral system to view as positives.

Call it parochial if you will. Most people in Britain don't care about the EU or their beef with Putin.

None of the mainstream parties have called for more integration with the EU.

The answer to the West Lothian question is federalism. It's blindingly obvious to an outsider like him.

It's a system that works perfectly fine in countries in Europe and around the world.

But Labour have always been the main obstacle. Calling it "independence via the back door" among other things.

This has to change during the next parliament.

Geoff Kilpatrick

So after Osborne's blatant attempt to reinflate house prices with Help to Buy, Labour now proposes to abolish stamp duty on first time purchases under ?300k.

A vote - winner? Probably. Adding more distortions to the housing market? Meh.

Psychedelicropcircle

Bisto-phobia.....The fear of being slung of the gravy train and falling arse over tit down the electrol embankment of doom into the jabby nettles of political oblivion. News net Scotland. The statement of the campaign!

Another scraping from the bottom of the barrel of Scottish life or as it is better known, an SNP election candidate.

I hope all you boys are looking forward to the lowest of the low representing you and your cult in Westminster in a couple of weeks.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/572961/Bigoted-language-shame-would-be-SNP-MP

Mind you, that's all he'll be doing. Now that you've effectively been locked out of any decision making by the Tories and Labour, guys like this will have plenty of time on their hands down south to catch up on their tweeting and other social media hobbies.

Well played Nicola and co.

Hello TJ, where've you been hiding.

Anyway back to business.

As oppose to what, Fraudsters and Kidney fiddlers?

Call it parochial if you will. Most people in Britain don't care about the EU or their beef with Putin.

None of the mainstream parties have called for more integration with the EU.

The answer to the West Lothian question is federalism. It's blindingly obvious to an outsider like him.

It's a system that works perfectly fine in countries in Europe and around the world.

But Labour have always been the main obstacle. Calling it "independence via the back door" among other things.

This has to change during the next parliament.

Federalism can only be achieved with Welsh, English and Northern Irish consent to reducing the role of Westminster in their affairs. It is not for one part with less than a tenth of the population of the UK to force that on the rest.

Whilst I think that it is the best option the SNP are not the party to achieve it. All federal systems have a strong centre holding things together, the SNP don't want that and its hard to see why they'd go for it as it'd likely derail their plans for independence.

The article is good because there's only so much sticking plasters you can have to stem talking about big issues. Britain should be in the EU and the anti-EU mob should be faced down strongly. Our politicians do need to review our role in the world. And they do also need to stop making it all about 1000 extra this and that will solve that and this.

"It is a loss to Scotland"

What Scotland?

Your Scotland from a subjective viewpoint or a Scotland from an objective viewpoint?

Everyone's opinions on politics and how the nation should be run are subjective. The SNPs, Labour, Tory etc.

What Scotland should be like to all can be summed up with general words and many will agree with them. But its still a subjective choice in an election between different visions of Scotland.

Anyone and everyone can make a subjective case and viable point based on their own interpretation, narrative and experience.

The true virtue is being objective and putting aside subjectivity rather than spieling post after post of regurgitated content.

Surely loosing intelligent and hard working MPs of any party is not a great thing to see for Scotland objectively?

Guest Trapper John

Hello TJ, where've you been hiding.

Anyway back to business.

As oppose to what, Fraudsters and Kidney fiddlers?

You mean the Labour candidates you said you'd vote for when Scotland becomes free?

The seethe level is steadily increasing on here as we get closer to polling day. There are going to be some epic meltdowns.

Cannot wait.

TheMaganator

The seethe level is steadily increasing on here as we get closer to polling day. There are going to be some epic meltdowns.

Cannot wait.

I think the good guys have accepted that Scotland will shame herself and send 45+ SNP MPs to Westminster - whose sole aim is to agitate and cause grievance to allow them to re-run their failed referendum.

Whilst the rest of us work towards making the country better - your mob will try and break it apart.

Edited by TheMaganator

You mean the Labour candidates you said you'd vote for when Scotland becomes free?

The very ones jye. :D

Psychedelicropcircle

Trapper John quote October 14. Come may all this Indy shite will be forgotten.... Almost as good as Jim Iwontloseasingleseattothesnp Murphy!

Hopefully that wee lassie pumps Doogie and saves mag half his life hunting Msm for all things negative SNP!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Cannot wait.

Indeed.

Tory or Labour minority government - check

SNP left on the sidelines - check

:sweeet:

dobmisterdobster

Federalism can only be achieved with Welsh, English and Northern Irish consent to reducing the role of Westminster in their affairs. It is not for one part with less than a tenth of the population of the UK to force that on the rest.

Whilst I think that it is the best option the SNP are not the party to achieve it. All federal systems have a strong centre holding things together, the SNP don't want that and its hard to see why they'd go for it as it'd likely derail their plans for independence.

The article is good because there's only so much sticking plasters you can have to stem talking about big issues. Britain should be in the EU and the anti-EU mob should be faced down strongly. Our politicians do need to review our role in the world. And they do also need to stop making it all about 1000 extra this and that will solve that and this.

England and Scotland could be provinces. Wales and Northern Ireland could be territories.

Or if the UK doesn't want to change, Scotland could work out a similar agreement to that of the Isle of Man or Channel Islands.

The SNP are the only party proposing this kind of constitutional change.

The UK is sticking plasters on Scotland, never mind the EU.

Holyrood was a kiddies' Elastoplast on a wound that required stitches.

England and Scotland could be provinces. Wales and Northern Ireland could be territories.

Or if the UK doesn't want to change, Scotland could work out a similar agreement to that of the Isle of Man or Channel Islands.

The UK is sticking plasters on Scotland, never mind the EU.

Holyrood was a kiddies' Elastoplast on a wound that required stitches.

That just is not true.

I think the good guys have accepted that Scotland will shame herself and send 45+ SNP MPs to Westminster - whose sole aim is to agitate and cause grievance to allow them to re-run their failed referendum.

Whilst the rest of us work towards making the country better - your mob will try and break it apart.

:) Soz.

Only 37% of the electorate were sufficiently motivated to vote for independence.

Would you accept "No" means NO after two ballots, 3 ballots, 4 ballots?

But, even if you could conjure up another 14%, what then?

Do you accept that those who voted "No" could press for another vote and attempt to overturn the result?

The question was put to the people and the people answered with a "No" and that should be that "for a generation".

No currency, no oil, no plan but we will be better off. Fantasy.

And only 46% bothered to vote for the Union. So by your own stats, No hasn't won a majority either.  

deesidejambo

And only 46% bothered to vote for the Union. So by your own stats, No hasn't won a majority either.  

So you are suggesting Yes won the referendum?

What part of my post are your referring to?

the SNP are not offering constitutional change. They want increased devolution and then they will talk about the next step in 2016.

Only one party advocates a federal state. 

Of course not, but if figures are used to show a 37% Yes vote, it should equally be made apparent that NO never secured a majority of the electorate either.

Elsewhere https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/04/19/tories-are-losing-both-air-war-and-ground-war/ 

Think you need to edit that link, Boris. There seems to be an extra / at the end which messes it up.

Edited by 2NaFish

Just looking at the todays Opinium poll. Interesting that the undecided isn't being reported. They have 15% as far as i can tell that are undecided and will vote. Still a lot to play for. Would be nice if the parties would talk issues and not worry about post vote negotiations until we know what the the numbers are. 

deesidejambo

Of course not, but if figures are used to show a 37% Yes vote, it should equally be made apparent that NO never secured a majority of the electorate either.

Elsewhere https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/04/19/tories-are-losing-both-air-war-and-ground-war/ 

I know, I was being mischevous just to annoy you.

The underlying point is that Yes still seem to claim that somehow, they are the "45" and represent that as 45% of the Country.   It isn't.    Anyone who did not vote has no mandate either way so we are left with those who did vote to represent the countries wishes.  And that was 55%.  You shoudl not use non-voters as evidence that neither side had a majority.  More of this on May 7th I expect.

35uz1s.jpg

It's unbelievable the anti-Scottish sentiment being whipped up by the right wing media. So much for democracy, huh?

And those on here say the SNP is guilty of equating themselves with Scotland. The critics do exactly the same thing.

jack D and coke

35uz1s.jpg

It's unbelievable the anti-Scottish sentiment being whipped up by the right wing media. So much for democracy, huh?

It's disgraceful tbh. Imagine ANY Scottish paper printing something similar about the English?

Imo it's bringing out what they've always thought tbh. The mask has slipped.