The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Nicola Sturgeon is the "gender"-obsessed purzon.

No, I'm saying a 20-year-old has no broad experience of life to offer Parliament. Aren't the self-righteous desperate to get over "career politicians"? That's why they adora Nicola Sturgeon, that's why they adore Mhairi Black, people who had a broad experience of life before politics and can bring all that to Parliament?

As mentioned previously, youth should be no bar, imo.  The electorate can decide...but perhaps the fiery idealism and passion show by the young may just be what's needed to shake up our moribund political system.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nookie Bear

But if you can vote at 16....

Yes, age may bring a certain perspective on things, but it may also deprive the political vigour and enthusiasm that the young can possess.  Idealism and to an extent naivety are not necessarily bad things.

Too much ******* perspective (Spinal Tap?)

I'm all for vigour, enthusiasm, idealism and naivety but I do wonder if there aren't any more experienced candidates - even in their mid-20's!

She is rather raw so will be interesting to see how it goes but maybe she should have been held back for the next GE.

Exactly. What does she have to offer her constituents at her age?

We need the best and the brightest and those that are able to add weight to the very important task of running the country.

She has nothing to offer. She will do as she is told. It truly will disgrace the people of Paisley if they elect her.

Let's not forget that she was talking, in the last 6 months, about how much she wanted to punch labour supporters after the referendum.

If people genuinely feel that she is one of the 59 people that will best represent Scotland then fair enough.

Can I ask the SNP fan boys - if she was an independent candidate, would you consider giving her your vote?

All those grown ups at pmqs, eh mags Edited by aussieh

Nookie Bear

Wait a minute, mags.

You can't say it would truly disgrace a town and then say if people she would best represent then fair enough.

Which is it to be ?

Disgracing Paisley even more would be a monumental achievement!

ToadKiller Dog

Pitt the Younger , first elected at 21 chancellor a year later and PM at 24 from 1783 to 1801 and oversaw a period of revolution in Europe , rise and war with Napoleon , the early years of the industrial revolution .

Could be argued that his role in the napoleonic wars was as important as Churchills in Ww2 .

Youth shouldn't be a barrier a mixed make up of parliament to me would create a better parliament than the traditional view of it as a boys club .

Mhari Black will be judged on her record if elected just as the other 600plus would be as it should be .

TheMaganator

Wait a minute, mags.

You can't say it would truly disgrace a town and then say if people she would best represent then fair enough.

Which is it to be ?

It wasn't a 'fair enough, I respect that'. It was a 'fair enough, you are a danger to yourself and society'.

I'm certainly not an SNP fan boy, but if I were why would I consider voting for an independent candidate?

Some people are worthy of election even if they are not with a particular party. Those people, I am thinking particularly of Margo here, have qualities and merits of their own that you would see as being beneficial to the constituency. So - remove the yellow and black rosette and what are you left with here? What does she have to offer?

Could you not ask this question of 99% of candidates. This smacks of you looking at something which is quite normal in british politics, seeing it's the SNP and choosing to be shocked because it's expedient.

You could ask that - and with most candidates you would look at what they had done and achieved and ask what they could bring to the table. With the majority of candidates you would have something to judge them on.

We've heard plenty of career politicians with no real world experience - that is generally considered to be a bad thing. 

All I would like to know here is if anybody can explain what Ms Black will bring to Westminster and her constituents. 

Seriously mate, the only people on this thread banging on about another Referendum and Independence are those that support the Union. The rest of us have moved on, it is an argument for another day..........maybe in a generation or so

you keep saying it is only the unionists who keep going on about another referendum.how many no stickers and posters have you seen lately. plenty of yes stickers and posters coming out again. george square on saturday was full of yes flags Edited by freddiemac

You could ask that - and with most candidates you would look at what they had done and achieved and ask what they could bring to the table. With the majority of candidates you would have something to judge them on.

We've heard plenty of career politicians with no real world experience - that is generally considered to be a bad thing. 

Sure, that's a bad thing. And, the balance of probability suggests a 20yr will probably not be best placed to represent people. Maybe not though, eh? It seems wilfully dismissive just to say "Oh, she's 20. Nope.", so let's try and avoid that.

I just wonder why this example is deemed especially dangerous. There are lots of crap possible MPs. In fact there are loads of crap actual MPs. You're taking something ordinary and treating it as though it's extraordinary. Your bluster and opprobrium are becoming increasingly synthetic. 

Edited by 2NaFish

Psychedelicropcircle

When all else fails bring up indyref much like your parties who some put yes voters as a priority a few months ago only to now cast them aside and back to the scaremongering of a new indyref, which just like your parties are the side talking about it.

As mentioned previously, youth should be no bar, imo.  The electorate can decide...but perhaps the fiery idealism and passion show by the young may just be what's needed to shake up our moribund political system.

Fiery idealism is pointless if nobody makes realistic calculations about the future, it's just na?ve and worthless.

doctor jambo

Sure, that's a bad thing. And, the balance of probability suggests a 20yr will probably not be best placed to represent people. Maybe not though, eh? It seems wilfully dismissive just to say "Oh, she's 20. Nope.", so let's try and avoid that.

I just wonder why this example is deemed especially dangerous. There are lots of crap possible MPs. In fact there are loads of crap actual MPs. You're taking something ordinary and treating it as though it's extraordinary. Your bluster and opprobrium are becoming increasingly synthetic. 

I'm basing it on her age, and the haplessly stupid things she has so far managed to come out with.

Her interview on radio Scotland this morning was, frankly, embarrassing.,

It doesn't help that she's young, naiive and ,well, a bit thick

Fiery idealism is pointless if nobody makes realistic calculations about the future, it's just na?ve and worthless.

Who is saying that there wouldn't be those there to make those realistic calculations?

GW, Did anyone predict the crash,(V.Cable?) or the Saudi oil war with Uncle sam, so realistic calcs are pure guesstimates.

GW, Did anyone predict the crash,(V.Cable?) or the Saudi oil war with Uncle sam, so realistic calcs are pure guesstimates.

reason why vince will be the next chancellor.

doctor jambo

THe other thing worth thinking about is how many occupations can you walk into a ?50,000 + per annum job with a big pension, loads of perks, no set hours  ( or even have to prove you worked at all,  with no qualifications or experience at all?

NOt necessarily an SNP issue- but it should probably need sorted at some point

That's why we're Better Together. I'd have loved to have seen the Scottish Government (Scottish GDP: 248bn pounds) bailing out RBS (bailout: 46bn pounds). 18.5% of the national wealth to bail out a bank. As the UK (GDP: 2.7 trillion pounds), 1.7% of GDP went to saving RBS. What has the RBS bailout got to do with the SNP? Anti-banker champion of the little person, Alex Salmond, was egging them on to fatally take over ABN "for Scotland".

Salmond-letter.jpg

THe other thing worth thinking about is how many occupations can you walk into a ?50,000 + per annum job with a big pension, loads of perks, no set hours ( or even have to prove you worked at all, with no qualifications or experience at all?

NOt necessarily an SNP issue- but it should probably need sorted at some point

True.

That's why we're Better Together. I'd have loved to have seen the Scottish Government (Scottish GDP: 248bn pounds) bailing out RBS (bailout: 46bn pounds). 18.5% of the national wealth to bail out a bank. As the UK (GDP: 2.7 trillion pounds), 1.7% of GDP went to saving RBS. What has the RBS bailout got to do with the SNP? Anti-banker champion of the little person, Alex Salmond, was egging them on to fatally take over ABN "for Scotland".

Salmond-letter.jpg

Oh You!

Treat like with like.

In an independent Scotland WOULD RBS have been in a position to act like it did?

Also remember their may well have been an oilfund running for years in this hypothetical independent Scotland.  So it may well have been loose change.

Salmond-letter.jpg

Not only him and you know it, anyway an indy Scotland may or may not have had legislation on the banks to cover themselves for such events, and not have been given free reign by Gordy and the BOE to do whatever the please, cause we'll sort it.

Wheres the Gold(do we have enough to cover the money, no)and Pension funds?

Oh You!

Treat like with like.

In an independent Scotland WOULD RBS have been in a position to act like it did?

Also remember their may well have been an oilfund running for years in this hypothetical independent Scotland.  So it may well have been loose change.

1. Scottish independence was decided last year. It's absolutely worthless to say "if Scotland had been independent since the 1970s...". It wasn't.

2. I quote:

Labour took great delight in quoting back Salmond's words from an article in the   Times on 7 April 2007:

"We are pledging a light-touch regulation suitable to a Scottish financial sector with its outstanding reputation for probity, as opposed to one like that in the UK, which absorbs huge amounts of management time in 'gold-plated' regulation."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/scotland-blog/2012/feb/01/alex-salmond-regrets-backing-goodwin

So, yes it probably would have happened.

Salmond knew of the impending financial crash? Desperate.

He contributed to causing it (by egging on RBS) and would have contributed more to it by "light-touch regulation". This is a hint of the race to the bottom an independent Scotland would be.

He contributed to causing it (by egging on RBS) and would have contributed more to it by "light-touch regulation". This is a hint of the race to the bottom an independent Scotland would be.

Monkey see, Monkey dont.

Monkey see, Monkey dont.

What are you talking about? Another person who listens to nothing. This will be part of your undoing.

saudi oil war with uncle sam? ?????? Spending too much time on wos if you ask me

I worry for your health if Scotland does become independent.

So will I, how will the NHS be funded?

What are you talking about? Another person who listens to nothing. This will be part of your undoing.

We all seen/saw what happened so hopefully no government will allow it again.Theres nothing being said worth listening to from your good sel.

saudi oil war with uncle sam? ?????? Spending too much time on wos if you ask me

wos?

Theyre showing The US what its all about.(oil wise) Arse on a plate.

Psychedelicropcircle

I worry for your health if Scotland does become independent.

don't! he is sitting in spain without a vote he's irrelevant....

don't! he is sitting in spain without a vote he's irrelevant....

My proxy's been appointed, a cross in Labour's box it'll be.

Thanks for playing.

Thanks for playing.

Can I ask why youre voting Labour?.

You stay in Spain.

Are you one of those Health Tourists ?  :shame:

Nigel's out to get you.  :thumbsdown:

This is exactly the problem.   The only solution is another referendum, at which they can get punted again.   Meanwhile let the Banks and Insurance Companies relocate to England just in time for the SNP to realise that the oil revenues are nowhere near their predictions, such that Scotland is hammered by a "Currency Union" that results in poor financial stability.    But that wont stop the, ahem, "45" doing their "we won" jigs in Gerorge Square.

This will be the same banks that are agitating to leave the UK if an OUT result occurs in any EU referendum?

What your post actually has to do with the General Election is lost on me, the last few pages are just car crash reading with the anti-SNP types frothing at the mouth, again.

But the only threat, at present, from (some) banks and insurance companies buggering off, is the possibility of us leaving the EU. Not that I see Cameron or the Tories being in a position to hold such a referendum, post GE. 

Psychedelicropcircle

Thanks for playing.

a vote for labour is a vote for the snp....thanks for playing :behead:

Thunderstruck

That should likely be in the present tense in a Scottish context and your next question would be "where did the Scottish NHS money go?"

a vote for labour is a vote for the snp....thanks for playing :behead:

Correct they are going to be partners anyway.So they might as well calm down.

What your post actually has to do with the General Election is lost on me, the last few pages are just car crash reading with the anti-SNP types frothing at the mouth, again.

Indeed. Hideous. It's Daily Mail-level stuff, except with a red rosette. And you can guarantee that if the predicted landslide does occur, the very last place the seethe will be directed is at the party which has treated Scotland as a fiefdom for the last fifty years while presiding over mediocrity in all things. Edited by leginten

I never used to agree with those people who said there was no difference between Labour and Tory.

Then I started reading this thread. :yawn:

Mags, Please tell me why Scotland should vote for The Conservative and Unionist Party. Cheers

At the bottom of that cliff is a big pool filled with hope. I'm happy with my choice Mag.

It's your ba' so it's your gemme so naeb'dy kin make ye.

Lighters_2DIn_2Dthe_2DAir_small.jpg

Malinga the Swinga

still find it difficult to understand why the Scottish electorate are so desperate to elect an unproven, negative and dangerous set of MP's to parliament under the SNP banner. Just a few months ago, we rightly sent the pro independence crowd back to their bolt holes to think again, and now they have broken cover with their new nasty 'if you don't vote for us you are betraying Scotland' type of MP.

No clue of how they are going to budget for anything, anti NATO, pro NATO, anti NATO again, pro NATO but anti nuclear and various other changes of policy that appear to be written on the back of an envelope.

Yep, Labour under Jim Murphy are sleepwalking into one of the most humiliating ever disasters in history and the Lib Dems are just about invisible in Scotland, and we still have the shadow of Thatcher causing, in my opinion, the best Scottish politician we have, to be disregarded totally, but for those who worship wee Jimmie Kranky and her party, what is the main policy that makes you want to vote this Nationalist lot into a position where they will back up the very party that they are seeking to defeat?

Still hopeful that the electorate will come to some form of sense and deny Sturgeon her dream of destroying the UK. SNP have had power in Scotland for years and they have shown nothing but contemp for Scotland and its people.

Malinga the Swinga

At the bottom of that cliff is a big pool filled with hope. I'm happy with my choice Mag.

voting for hope over substance, for hope over a recovering economy, for hope over improving employment figures, for hope over small to large business wishes, for hope over all known facts, for hope over reality, that is one huge hope you have.

I never used to agree with those people who said there was no difference between Labour and Tory.

Then I started reading this thread. :yawn:

Then again  :booze: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-the-uk-would-become-a-communist-dictatorship-under-ed-miliband-and-nicola-sturgeon-claims-wife-of-michael-gove-10193221.html