Would Scotland be a better place if...

Spellczech

Spellczech

...the backward and unhealthy institution that is Glasgow Rangers FC was closed down? Put to sleep like a sick dog...

What would happen to Celtic - do the OF need each other?

Would Partick Thistle or Queen's Park become a footballing powerhouse?

Would Scottish society benefit from the dissolution of the Rangers tradition? Would we be freed to look forwards as a nation rather than over our shoulders?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Charlie-Brown

It would certainly be an interesting scenario spellczech......a large part of our nation would be culturally / emotionally / intellectually unemployed.....or perhaps Liberated? :)

...the backward and unhealthy institution that is Glasgow Rangers FC was closed down? Put to sleep like a sick dog...

What would happen to Celtic - do the OF need each other?

Would Partick Thistle or Queen's Park become a footballing powerhouse?

Would Scottish society benefit from the dissolution of the Rangers tradition? Would we be freed to look forwards as a nation rather than over our shoulders?

1 - That would be excellent

2 - They'd relocate to Dublin and apply for membership of the EPL

3 - You're on drugs

4 - We'd have better football songs

Far better to cull ra sellik. The history and ethos of that club is much more repulsive. :mad:

Rangers FC are reviled by many on here in an attempt to establish their PC credentials and prove they are "right on". All Rangers FC is guilty of is playing on the concept of Britishness, hardly a crime given what it says on our passports.

King of the North
Far better to cull ra sellik. The history and ethos of that club is much more repulsive. :mad:

Rangers FC are reviled by many on here in an attempt to establish their PC credentials and prove they are "right on". All Rangers FC is guilty of is playing on the concept of Britishness, hardly a crime given what it says on our passports.

Thankfully, you are in a massive minority. And you are talking rubbish. Even the Scottish media is at last waking up to what Rangers are all about - hatred, violence, venom, backward political views.

They are an anachronism. So are you. I hope this helps.

The Old Tolbooth

It would never be allowed to happen for a start, but if it was, then their fans would only latch thier hatred and bile onto another poor unsuspecting club (or clubs), and one of the clubs that would suffer the most would be us.

You've come out of hiding then? :rolleyes:

Rangers are treated with the contempt they deserve and to try and suggest its anything remotely to do with PC credentials is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Given Wednesday's events, it must be difficult for you to come up with any sort of defence that doesn't sound completely moronic right now. God does love a trier though....

You didn't happen to stay over in a Manchester hostel this week did you?

Thankfully, you are in a massive minority.

I am probably in the minority on here where many of the posters appear to revel in promoting the activities and image of ra sellik. :sad: At first I thought they were merely not very good wind up merchants, but now I'm not so sure.

However - and thankfully - my views reflect the thoughts of the wider Hearts family. Of that there is no doubt. :)

You've come out of hiding then? :rolleyes:

Yes, if you call playing golf for two days at St Andrews with important clients "hiding". :rolleyes:

And I'll be "hiding" in Moscow next week too. :)

Spellczech

On the contrary, Celtic have won the Old Firm PR war - game, set and match.

Celtic moved with the times and realised that the war was in people' minds not on the streets. They have claimed the moral high ground leaving Rangers in the gutter, redundant as an Orange Lodge other than as a hotbed of hatred...

Rangers fly the Union flag in a country that is moving inexorably away from the Union...

Celtic have moulded their tradition away from the politics towards being a well-regarded and recognisable brand. Sure there is still an element in their away support that cannot let go but generally speaking Celtic have been far more successful at eradicating bigotry in their stadium than Murray whose main tactic is to beg the Press not to report what Rangers fans do...

Celtic have won the Old Firm PR war - game, set and match.

I agree 100%.

The press and media is tim friendly, and even those that aren't browbeaten into following ra sellik agenda will not criticise them for fear of the "victimised tim" card being played.

King of the North
I am probably in the minority on here where many of the posters appear to revel in promoting the activities and image of ra sellik. :sad: At first I thought they were merely not very good wind up merchants, but now I'm not so sure.

However - and thankfully - my views reflect the thoughts of the wider Hearts family. Of that there is no doubt. :)

Maybe the members of the 'family' you hang about with. I am sure you are right about that. However, outside your illustrious network of 'casuals', bams and neds there are thousands and thousands of good, decent jambos. They probably have different views.

Spellczech

That's the point though. Celtic have an image that CAN be portrayed as being positive - Oirishness is popular and Irish culture is sellable. Irish pubs, Guinness and freedom politics are about all Ireland has to offer the World other than a few poets, writers and folk songs that get murdered by boybands.

Rangers don't stand for anything other than hatred of Celtic. Their Union flags, as noted above, look out of date - even the English have taken to flying the flag of St George over the Union flag nowadays...Rangers are a relic of the past. Redundant.

Time to wake up.

King of the North
I agree 100%.

The press and media is tim friendly, and even those that aren't browbeaten into following ra sellik agenda will not criticise them for fear of the "victimised tim" card being played.

Read the rest of his post - it's a good one.

Celtic have moved with the times - Rangers haven't.

It's another way of saying what I said - Rangers are an anachronism.

Nothing to do with being 'Tim Friendly'. You seem reasonably intelligent, even if I find most of your views abhorrent. The point is, the point on many threads, and now in many newspapers is that Rangers FC NEEDS TO CHANGE.

Nothing to do with being PC, or mindless OF bashing. Forget CEltic - they are irrelevant to this argument. This is about Rangers, a huge sporting institution, and their need to do something drastic. 'A club with a cancer at it's heart' is how they are viewed, not just by so calledd 'PC Handwringers' on here, but by the majority of people in the UK.

The solution for the huns and their sympathisers is to stop lashing out in defence and swallow some of the advice they are getting - it will be difficult, but rather than mindlessly hating Rangers, us decent human beings have to hope there is the potential for them to change.

Bindy Badgy
At first I thought they were merely not very good wind up merchants, but now I'm not so sure.

pot_kettle_black.jpg

Charlie-Brown

Given the First Minister is a Jambo does anybody on here know him?

Rangers FC are the focal point for much of the right wing / lunatic / paramilitary fringes of our society ie UDA / UVF / Combat-18 / KKK / BNP / National-Front / Orange-order nevermind longstanding but now anachronistic 'protestant' bigotry..............

The composition of their football teams and even managers has changed out of all recognition and this is progressive but unfortunately a very large number of their supporters have continued to move in the opposite more hateful direction.

It always interests me that Rangers are viewed as fair game on Kickback, whilst any criticism of their vhile neighbours is pounced upon as bigotry. As Therapist says, I think that people do it to show how "right on" they are.

I find Thelick much more offensive than Rangers. Their sick championing of convicted terrorists and attempts to align themselves with a culture with which few if any of them have any real connection are dismissed as "banter" - meanwhile, if Rangers fans fly the flag of the country that they actually come from, it's viewed as bigotry - in that very country. Highly strange.

That's the point though. Celtic have an image that CAN be portrayed as being positive - Oirishness is popular and Irish culture is sellable. Irish pubs, Guinness and freedom politics are about all Ireland has to offer the World other than a few poets, writers and folk songs that get murdered by boybands.

Rangers don't stand for anything other than hatred of Celtic. Their Union flags, as noted above, look out of date - even the English have taken to flying the flag of St George over the Union flag nowadays...Rangers are a relic of the past. Redundant.

Time to wake up.

That's so true out here.

Celtic fans - seen as cheeky, happy go lucky good time merchants. St. Patricks Day, Guinness, leprechauns etc.

Rangers fans - bitter has-beens that sit on their own at the end of the bar just next to the Liverpool fans moaning about stuff.

Yes, if you call playing golf for two days at St Andrews with important clients "hiding". :rolleyes:

And I'll be "hiding" in Moscow next week too. :)

Golf. Right...of course....silly me... :laugh:

Going back to your earlier post:

"Far better to cull ra sellik. The history and ethos of that club is much more repulsive."

I'm just wondering what part of their history and ethos it is that you find so repulsive? As you seem so knowledgeable on all things OF, feel free to draw comparisons with the history and ethos of Rangers FC while you're at it. I'm sure it'll help illustrate your point.

Charlie-Brown

Their flags are fairly irrelevant Makween but their hateful songs and frequently repeated football hooliganism cannot be ignored or said in anyway to be 'decent' standards of behaviour even by the norms of most footballing supporters or clubs.

Their flags are fairly irrelevant Makween but their hateful songs and frequently repeated football hooliganism cannot be ignored or said in anyway to be 'decent' standards of behaviour even by the norms of most footballing supporters or clubs.

Thelick fans don't sing hateful songs? :confused:

The right-on PC Brigade suffer from selective deafness. :sad:

Golf. Right...of course....silly me... :laugh:

Not sure why you find that so amusing. :wacko:

King of the North

Not as many... this is the point. They sing many pro-Irish songs, that admittedly have nowt to do with football. But they are not hateful.

The difference many people seem to point out is that Celtic fans are pro- Ireland, Rangers fans are just anti-Celtic.

Pride (maybe manufactured, plastic pride) versus hatred. Only one winner in the PR war. Like it or not, the huns have to change, big time. Murray has a massive, massive job to do - he can start by getting rid of the half time flute bands and removing his club from Europe for a year.

Charlie-Brown

They do indeed and they should be condemned in those instances also but 2 wrongs do not make a right and this weeks events were only one of several in the last few years were Rangers fans have caused trouble and been caught displaying offensive / bigoted / sectarian behaviour which causes offence to the great many not just a 'pc' few or as a result of a timpathysing media campaign.

The fact that whilst rangers had their first ever catholic manager (Le Guen) which was a wonderful progressive move by the club at that very same time they were being censured by UEFA for repeated offences of a sectarian & hooligan nature by their fans who continue to move in an opposite direction to the clubs stated ambitions & policies.

Spellczech
It always interests me that Rangers are viewed as fair game on Kickback, whilst any criticism of their vhile neighbours is pounced upon as bigotry. As Therapist says, I think that people do it to show how "right on" they are.

I find Thelick much more offensive than Rangers. Their sick championing of convicted terrorists and attempts to align themselves with a culture with which few if any of them have any real connection are dismissed as "banter" - meanwhile, if Rangers fans fly the flag of the country that they actually come from, it's viewed as bigotry - in that very country. Highly strange.

Nationalism is more acceptable than politicism in football. If Rangers fans genuinely thought they were flying their national flag then they would fly Saltires like other Scottish fans. But they don't because it is Unionism that they are flying the flag for, which is geo-political in nature...

The funniest irony about the whole OF interest in Northern Irish politics is that many of the Scots that went to Northern Ireland and became the Northern Irish protestants were the sccum of society at that time. Scottish society was well happy to be shot of them when they went adventuring in Ulster! Now their travails and lack of tolerance in Ireland has returned to Scotland and come to dominate Glaswegian "culture" for the last 150 years as they forced a load of Irish out of Ireland in into mainland Britain.

I don't have much time for Celtic TBH but as a club they are far smarter than Rangers. They've won the PR war and given Rangers fans yet ANOTHER reason to be bitter, resentful and to hate...They must be laughing their heads off at the moment - and that will annoy the "Rangers-minded" too LOL.

Bitterness begets bitterness. Hate breeds hate. It's a vicious circle and a Catch-22.

Not as many... this is the point. They sing many pro-Irish songs, that admittedly have nowt to do with football. But they are not hateful.

The difference many people seem to point out is that Celtic fans are pro- Ireland, Rangers fans are just anti-Celtic.

Pride (maybe manufactured, plastic pride) versus hatred. Only one winner in the PR war. Like it or not, the huns have to change, big time. Murray has a massive, massive job to do - he can start by getting rid of the half time flute bands and removing his club from Europe for a year.

So pro-Irish songs aren't hateful, but pro-British ones are? I don't get your reasoning here. It seems that, in modern society, it's quite acceptable to be proud of any part of your heritage - unless it's your Britishness that you're proud of, in which case you're apparently fair game for all kinds of accusations.

Not as many

They sing many pro-Irish songs...but they are not hateful.

You couldn't make it up. Selective deafness again from the timpathisers. :sad:

King of the North
The right-on PC Brigade suffer from selective deafness. :sad:

You know someone is clutching at straws when that beauty comes out. Face it - the huns are outdated, a relic of the hateful past. So are you if you keep defending them.

My advice to you and other hun sympathisers on here would be forget them. Be a Hearts fan - it's good to hate the huns. The moral high ground feels good - the air is clear and hun free.

And don't let Celtic annoy you. Forget them. Let them get on with their plastic Irishness - why should it offend you? They have won the PR war - but you have let them get to you so much you really sound like a hun. In fact you may very well be one, I don't know, or care. If not, come out of the darkness - the huns are evil and belong to the past.

Drylaw Hearts

I always thought I hated Celtic more than Rangers.

They're supporters were the lowest of the low.

But I feel myself being drawn to hate Rangers more.

And all because of the views of a couple of 'Ger sympathising Jambo's.

Maybe it's not actually Rangers I hate afterall ?

Nationalism is more acceptable than politicism in football. If Rangers fans genuinely thought they were flying their national flag then they would fly Saltires like other Scottish fans. But they don't because it is Unionism that they are flying the flag for, which is geo-political in nature...

How on earth can you justify the above statement? Particularly the bit in bold?

It's not upto you to tell them what they should and shouldn't view as their national flag.

Your point about nationalism and politicism doesn't even make sense. Surely flying the flag for unionism is nationalistic? Anyway, Thelick's vhile fans fly the Tricolour as part of their campaign for a united Ireland, whilst also glorifying terrorism.

King of the North
You couldn't make it up. Selective deafness again from the timpathisers. :sad:

Celtic songs I hear a lot

Soldiers Song

Fields of Athenry

Willie Maley

Nothing wrong with any of them.

Rangers songs I hear a lot

Derrys Walls

Follow Follow - with the bigoted lyrics

The famines over

Big Jock Knew

THere are doubtless many songs sung by both clubs, and I have no doubts that Celtic have many many disgusting songs. Point is Rangers have more of them.

'Tim sympathisers'?

Stop lashing out in defence of the indefensible. The huns are the real problem - Scotlands shame. Abandon them to their fate, unless you want to be dragged down with them.

The Real Maroonblood

I don't think the said poster is a hun sympathiser more of a supporter with a soft spot for Heart of Midlothian FC because he goes on and on and on about the **** from the west.

Charlie-Brown

Should we separate Rangers Football Club from Rangers 'fans' or Rangers-minded for the purposes of this debate - Rangers FC have made some progressive moves in the right direction although not nearly enough in my opinion however their so called fans seem to be moving in their own direction entirely which is at a contradiction to the clubs stated aims & policies.

King of the North

It's not upto you to tell them what they should and shouldn't view as their national flag.

Your point about nationalism and politicism doesn't even make sense. Surely flying the flag for unionism is nationalistic? Anyway, Thelick's vhile fans fly the Tricolour as part of their campaign for a united Ireland, whilst also glorifying terrorism.

Thelick?

Vhile?

You don't do your arguments any favours with that kind of rubbish.

Drylaw Hearts
I don't think the said poster is a hun sympathiser more of a supporter with a soft spot for Heart of Midlothian FC because he goes on and on and on about the **** from the west.

A Rangers fan who can't afford the bus fares ?

I always wondered who fell into that category and why.

Now I know.

Thelick?

Vhile?

You don't do your arguments any favours with that kind of rubbish.

Out of interest, are people who use the word "Hun" in the same boat?

Was just about to post the very same thing....

I've been reading and contributing to these debates for days now and I still don't get what the heck Celtic have to do with any of this. But on a more worrying level, I'm also growing progressively more sympathetic towards them and I think I have JKB's celebrity JamBear hybrids to thank for that.

I'm sure normal service will be resumed as soon as Neil Lennon's mug appears on a TV screen or newspaper though....

Spellczech

Back to School: The Act Of Union was simply the 18th Century equivalent of the European Union. It was a political necessity as the Monarchy had been united due to inbreeding meaning that the Scottish king inherited the English crown, and the Scottish Govt had pretty much bankrupted the nation over the Darrian Project. Britain is a political grouping of nations, not a nation in itself.

King of the North
Should we separate Rangers Football Club from Rangers 'fans' or Rangers-minded for the purposes of this debate - Rangers FC have made some progressive moves in the right direction although not nearly enough in my opinion however their so called fans seem to be moving in their own direction entirely which is at a contradiction to the clubs stated aims & policies.

I don't think we should - Murray has paid lip service to ridding his club of bigotry, while at the same time

organising UJ flag displays

playing flute band music at half time

sanctioning an orange away strip

condemning journalists like Graham Spiers as Celtic minded

Murray has refused to take his poroblems seriously, and tried to sweep them under the carpet all in a bid to avoid UEFA sanction. It has come back to bite him on the arse, as it's partly his fault that the cancer at the heart of the support has been allowed to spread.

The Real Maroonblood

I've been reading and contributing to these debates for days now and I still don't get what the heck Celtic have to do with any of this. But on a more worrying level, I'm also growing progressively more sympathetic towards them and I think I have JKB's celebrity JamBear hybrids to thank for that.I'm sure normal service will be resumed as soon as Neil Lennon's mug appears on a TV screen or newspaper though....

It's a old saying that "You make your nest you lie in it."

I think they have sh at in it.

Drylaw Hearts

I've been reading and contributing to these debates for days now and I still don't get what the heck Celtic have to do with any of this. But on a more worrying level, I'm also growing progressively more sympathetic towards them and I think I have JKB's celebrity JamBear hybrids to thank for that.

I'm sure normal service will be resumed as soon as Neil Lennon's mug appears on a TV screen or newspaper though....

I agree.

The sooner Celtic win the SPL the sooner I will begin to hate them again.

:)

King of the North
Out of interest, are people who use the word "Hun" in the same boat?

Not in my opinion, no. This week showed the huns for what they really are. For many of us it was entirely predictable.

Are the huns 'fair game' for any sort of criticism - Yes.

They are the problem - not Celtic, not the OF, not Scottish Football.

The huns deserve everything that is coming their way

Not sure why you find that so amusing. :wacko:

Don't be so modest. You make me laugh on a regular basis. :)

Anyway, this traditions and ethos stuff....you're the one who brought it up so its probably a bit silly to expect people not to ask what exactly you're on about. Will you be explaining it at all....or should I just assume you're still working it out?

Charlie-Brown
I don't think we should - Murray has paid lip service to ridding his club of bigotry, while at the same time

Murray has refused to take his poroblems seriously, and tried to sweep them under the carpet all in a bid to avoid UEFA sanction. It has come back to bite him on the arse, as it's partly his fault that the cancer at the heart of the support has been allowed to spread.

I don't disagree with these points KotN and yes they should have done & said a hundred times more than they have done to rid themselves of the worst element of their support........their supporters and their vision of their clubs 'true identity' is at odds though of the (lip service) stated aims & policies of their football club - they would in this respect seem to be a club at war with themselves and struggling to adapt to 21st Century life when many of their motivations spring from previous decades and centuries?

The White Cockade

Nobody is trying to prove they are "right on" or "pc"

We are just trying to get rid of bigots like you who tarnish our club and who try and drag us down to the level of Rangers FC

We are talking about football and supporting a football team

Anyone like you who thinks its relevant or appropriate to sing "The Sash", "Derrys Walls, "Big Jock Knew" or indeed any of the rubbish from the other side of the fence have their own agenda and its nothing to do with football

If thats what rocks your boat then there's a train to Glasgow every Saturday lunchtime

Drylaw Hearts

I agree.

SDM used the fans warped minds to fill the Clubs coffers.

The orange Away strip was the classic example.

King of the North
I don't disagree with these points KotN and yes they should have done & said a hundred times more than they have done to rid themselves of the worst element of their support........their supporters and their vision of their clubs 'true identity' is at odds though of the (lip service) stated aims & policies of their football club - they would in this respect seem to be a club at war with themselves and struggling to adapt to 21st Century life when many of their motivations spring from previous decades and centuries?

I agree - which is why something drastic has to happen, like a ban from Europe, even if it is self imposed.

All we are seeing at the moment from Murray and Bain is more excuses - although I hope the turning of the tide that seems to be evident will forrce them into some serious self reflection, rather than blame shifting.

Archived