Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

5 hours ago, Cade said:

I stream most tv these days, at 1.5x speed with subtitles on.

Almost every programme has a shit-ton of time padding in it these days.

Lots of soaring music over absolutely nothing happening.

Characters reel off a couple of lines then stand there looking intense as more soaring music tries to import the gravity of the situation. Because the audience is otherwise too thick to understand what's going on and how to feel unless given musical cues.

Lots of long, lingering establishing shots with absolutely nothing happening.

Lots of other pish that serves no purpose than to pad out the run time.

Feck that nonsense.

Blaze through it on 1.5x speed and get the story telt.

Wind up, surely?

Watching TV shows speeded up :lol:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dick Dastardly

Can't find anything new that i want to binge watch so I'm going for a rewatch of Longmire. Really enjoyed it the first time round. 

henrysmithsgloves
On 26/06/2023 at 12:34, Cade said:

I stream most tv these days, at 1.5x speed with subtitles on.

Almost every programme has a shit-ton of time padding in it these days.

Lots of soaring music over absolutely nothing happening.

Characters reel off a couple of lines then stand there looking intense as more soaring music tries to import the gravity of the situation. Because the audience is otherwise too thick to understand what's going on and how to feel unless given musical cues.

Lots of long, lingering establishing shots with absolutely nothing happening.

Lots of other pish that serves no purpose than to pad out the run time.

Feck that nonsense.

Blaze through it on 1.5x speed and get the story telt.

The curse of skin walker ranch falls into this category 😀

1 hour ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

The curse of skin walker ranch falls into this category 😀

Yank shows are the worst for it.

They'll spend the first 5 minutes after an ad-break pause to recap everything that happened before the ad break, because the audience is so stupid that they forgot what happened.

:seething:

rudi must stay
On 22/06/2023 at 19:26, tokyowalnut said:

Great news! 

I like the thick of it. "there was a significant lack of click" I think that is a very British idea, although that first guy he doesn't click with anyone. Great writing

Demon 79 easily the best Black Mirror episode this season. Just the right level of absurdism and a cracking soundtrack. :laugh:

30 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Demon 79 easily the best Black Mirror episode this season. Just the right level of absurdism and a cracking soundtrack. :laugh:

I've still to watch this one but I've enjoyed all the previous episodes so far. Love Black Mirror. :) 

JudyJudyJudy
12 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Going through them from season 3 hits and misses but when it hits it’s superb 

PortyJambo
28 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Silo on Apple TV is decent 10 episodes 

I enjoyed it. Filming has started on the 2nd season too. I'd read the books a decade or so ago, but couldn't remember too much detail about the storyline...although it came back to me enough that I remembered the twists before they happened, unfortunately.

It's good to see books you liked made into TV shows, but the downside to me is not being surprised by the twists. They've made a great job of bringing the silo in the books to the screen though, exactly as I imagined it. Fortunately it's been so long since I read the book trilogy, I can't remember how it all ends up.

Edited by PortyJambo

16 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

4 episodes into The Bear. Quite enjoyable so far. 

It’s excellent. Season 2 arrives on Disney+ on the 19th of July. 

William H. Bonney
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Season 2 is exceptional.  2 absolutely outstanding episodes in it. 

Dick Dastardly
26 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I'm sure its already on the dodgy app that i use! 

Carl Fredrickson
39 minutes ago, R9. said:

Rewatching Rebus on iptv only 31 so watched last season when I was a kid never seen the John Hannah ones.

I wasnt a fan of the John Hannah ones. I was at an event last month with Ian Rankin in conversation with Richard Coles. I.R. stated that when the rights were sold for Rebus, the production company insisted that John Hannah play Rebus. IIRC Hannah wasnt keen on playing the role but the show wouldnt have been made without him. 

The books are great, the TV show isnt IMO. 

PortyJambo
12 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I wasnt a fan of the John Hannah ones. I was at an event last month with Ian Rankin in conversation with Richard Coles. I.R. stated that when the rights were sold for Rebus, the production company insisted that John Hannah play Rebus. IIRC Hannah wasnt keen on playing the role but the show wouldnt have been made without him. 

The books are great, the TV show isnt IMO. 

Ken Stott was a much better Rebus than Hannah, he was much more as you imagined Rebus to be like from the books. I like John Hannah as an actor, but he wasn't Rebus.

But yes, the TV show never was as good as the books, even with Stott playing him.

Edited by PortyJambo

Carl Fredrickson
45 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Ken Stott was a much better Rebus than Hannah, he was much more as you imagined Rebus to be like from the books. I like John Hannah as an actor, but he wasn't Rebus.

But yes, the TV show never was as good as the books, even with Stott playing him.

Sott was a vast improvement as he was more like the character in the books. There are more episodes being made but I cant mind who is playing Rebus. I think it is a guy from Outlander.

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

Binged watched  the Lincoln Lawer in 2 days on Netflix.

Really enjoyed it.

Season 2 starting in a couple of days.

5 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Sott was a vast improvement as he was more like the character in the books. There are more episodes being made but I cant mind who is playing Rebus. I think it is a guy from Outlander.

Richard Rankin who was also in burnistoun

Disco Dave
On 04/07/2023 at 11:59, benny said:

Really enjoyed it.

Niceone. Didn’t realise season 2 was due

Just now, Disco Dave said:

Niceone. Didn’t realise season 2 was due

First 5 episodes tomorrow.

Last 5 episodes August.

I'm wanting to wait until August to watch them all but no doubt will watch the first 5 by Saturday at the latest.

Dick Dastardly
On 04/07/2023 at 11:59, benny said:

Really enjoyed it.

Oh I've been waiting for season 2! Nice one

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just starting Hijack 

It's a decent watch. Annoying having to wait for the next episode to air. 

Jack Ryan has been worthwhile too. 

Tommy Brown

Watching and enjoying Guilt on BBCi.

Amusing romp set in Edinburgh.

Halfway through s2. 4 episodes each 

Sex Panther

Also quite enjoying Hijack and agree with the annoying week wait.☹️

Couple of episodes of Colin from Accounts (iPlayer) to go as well - would recommend. 

I have just started watching True Detective (cant believe I've never seen it before!), absolutely hooked. Does anyone know where I can watch it online for free as the app im watching it on has cut a few episodes short by 10 mins. V frustrating!

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Negan said:

I have just started watching True Detective (cant believe I've never seen it before!), absolutely hooked. Does anyone know where I can watch it online for free as the app im watching it on has cut a few episodes short by 10 mins. V frustrating!

https://ww1.best-putlocker.pw/

Best website I've found. 

JudyJudyJudy

Almost finished " Black mirror".  All the episodes have been of a high standard. Well most

Some real crackers.  My favourites being " Arkangel "  " Crocodile" ( Andrea Riseborough terrific in it ) " " Striking vipers" " Loch  Henry" and " Joan is awful" ( Salma Hayek was an absolute hoot in this).  " Striking vipers" asked a lot of questions. 

6 hours ago, Negan said:

moviesjoy is pretty good

it moves around a lot and usually has three or four different versions up at any one time

42 minutes ago, Cade said:

moviesjoy is pretty good

it moves around a lot and usually has three or four different versions up at any one time

Awesome cheers

Dick Dastardly
7 hours ago, Negan said:

I use an app called Tea TV. I think it's only available on android though. 

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I use an app called Tea TV. I think it's only available on android though. 

CinemaHDv2

Don't know if anyone has been watching the Walking Dead spin-off, Dead City, but you can watch the first episode on youtube...

On 12/07/2023 at 09:59, neilnunb said:

Don't know if anyone has been watching the Walking Dead spin-off, Dead City, but you can watch the first episode on youtube...

I can't believe they're still milking this zombie corpse.

They didn't have strong enough material for the main series after the first couple of seasons, never mind spin offs.

58 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I can't believe they're still milking this zombie corpse.

They didn't have strong enough material for the main series after the first couple of seasons, never mind spin offs.

I was still enjoying it up to the last couple of seasons...then they introduced a whole load of new characters who I just wanted to die.

Walking Dead had gone shite even before Andrew Lincoln left.

Feck knows why but I lasted until they did that big time skip. That was it for me. 

Currently watching The Clearing on Disney, Aussie thriller about a child being kidnapped into a cult, runs the back story and current timeline concurrently so feel it is building up to a "shocking reveal" a la Sharp Objects (though think I have have the twist already) 

Really well done though and well acted 

henrysmithsgloves
On 12/07/2023 at 09:59, neilnunb said:

Loved walking dead up to season 6,then it just draaaaaaaaaaged ooooonnnn

Gerd Muller

Watched 3 episodes of Hijack last night. Really enjoyed it. Was hooked. It's on Apple TV but I got it elsewhere.

Dick Dastardly
58 minutes ago, Gerd Muller said:

Watched 3 episodes of Hijack last night. Really enjoyed it. Was hooked. It's on Apple TV but I got it elsewhere.

Yeah I've watched the first 3 or 4 of that. Pretty good. I hate having to wait for the next episodes now though! Streaming has ruined me

Gerd Muller
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yeah I've watched the first 3 or 4 of that. Pretty good. I hate having to wait for the next episodes now though! Streaming has ruined me

Just finished the 4th ep. Looks like 3 more to go weekly episodes.

Dick Dastardly
32 minutes ago, Gerd Muller said:

Just finished the 4th ep. Looks like 3 more to go weekly episodes.

I wish I'd just waited till it had all aired then i could've just binge watched the lot