Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

JudyJudyJudy
11 hours ago, JKB Member C said:

Too late. I just finished it. Yes it did very much go downhill. Still not the worst one though. 

Yes Ryan Murphay trying to make it into a drama more than horror towards the end . Sorry AIDS dramas have already been done and to great acclaim like 

“ angels in America” “ long time companion “ and the band played on “ and “ The normal heart “ 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was hoping to be able to recommend the 2nd series of "Good Omens", following the further comedic adventures of an Angel and a Demon who both operate outside the normal rules in the never-ending war between Heaven and Hell.

But I can't recommend it.

Because it's shite.

:vrface:

Production values of about £2.50 because all the money went on David Tennant and Michael Sheen's wages.

It looks cheap as feck.
And the writing is even worse.

Nothing happens. For 6 episodes. There are zero stakes. The "comedy" is feckin cringe all the way through.

Then there is a ludicrous romantic development at the end.

It's like really bad fan fiction.

Avoid.

It's a shame as the first series was great fun.

Edited by Cade

Strange New Worlds still doing good things.
And very different things.

From a crossover with the "Below Decks" animated series on one episode; to a serious exploration of PTSD and the mental cost of war in the next; and now a musical episode.

Best Star Trek for twenty years. (Apart from The Orville, which is more Star Trek than anything else right now)

Dick Dastardly

Just finished the second series of The Lincoln Lawyer. As enjoyable as the first and sets up the third series (hopefully) nicely. 

Spoiler

He's a crap judge of character though 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Samuel Camazzola

Our Guy In Colombia. 

Guy Martin visits Colombia in a two-parter available in 4OD until the end if the month. 

Very interesting show where Guy takes part in a kidnapping simulation, gets shot, visits the cocaine kitchens in the Amazon and meets Pablo Escobar's nephew. 

On 03/08/2023 at 23:51, Cade said:

Strange New Worlds still doing good things.
And very different things.

From a crossover with the "Below Decks" animated series on one episode; to a serious exploration of PTSD and the mental cost of war in the next; and now a musical episode.

Best Star Trek for twenty years. (Apart from The Orville, which is more Star Trek than anything else right now)

I’m a big Star Trek fan but this series of Strange New Worlds has been awful, except for one truly laugh out loud moment in episode nine. I’m obviously out of step here as it’s getting rave reviews everywhere it seems. I’d really enjoyed season 1.

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Any thing like stranger things worth watching?

Stranger things series 2

On 09/08/2023 at 17:12, ri Alban said:

Starting Boardwalk Empire. 

Absolutely brilliant series, Michael Shannon is brilliant in it, as is Kelly MacDonald and Charlie Cox before Daredevil, of course it goes without saying that Steve Buscemi is tremendous.

Also great performances from Gretchen Mol, Michael Kenneth, Bobby cannavale and Stephen Graham 

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, Bozi said:

Absolutely brilliant series, Michael Shannon is brilliant in it, as is Kelly MacDonald and Charlie Cox before Daredevil, of course it goes without saying that Steve Buscemi is tremendous.

Also great performances from Gretchen Mol, Michael Kenneth, Bobby cannavale and Stephen Graham 

Why have i never watched this? 

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why have i never watched this? 

Honestly it's well worth watching, the first 3 series in particular are essential TV 

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Bozi said:

Honestly it's well worth watching, the first 3 series in particular are essential TV 

I'm on it soon! 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, Bozi said:

And Michael Pitt 

42 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

And Michael Pitt 

Yeah he was excellent 👍

Forgot about Michael Stuhlberg as well, this list is actually exhaustive as almost every performance in this show is top notch...shame they rushed the ending 

JudyJudyJudy
27 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Yeah he was excellent 👍

Forgot about Michael Stuhlberg as well, this list is actually exhaustive as almost every performance in this show is top notch...shame they rushed the ending 

Spoiler

And killed off a main character too early 

Do not read the spoiler if you haven’t seen the show ! 

8 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

And killed off a main character too early 

Do not read the spoiler if you haven’t seen the show ! 

Agreed if you are talking about 

Spoiler

Jimmy but also felt Richard could/should have been a bigger threat 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Agreed if you are talking about 

Hide contents

Jimmy but also felt Richard could/should have been a bigger threat 

Yeah ! 

Just blitzed PainKiller on Netflix. Very similar to Dopesick (based on true events around oxycontin and the sackler family) but still a good watch.

JudyJudyJudy

" Reframing Marilyn Monroe" on BBC Iplayer.

Very good 4 part documentary about MM.  It dispels many myths about her. In particular she was a passive woman who had no control over her life and career.  All wrong.  She fought tooth and nail to get to the top by sheer effort and ambition. She was eventually able to have director approval for her own films as well as earning over a million dollars for each film.  She was an incredibly underrated as an actress. She really was. She was luminous on the screen.  She had  a turbulent private life where she just didn't find the right partner really.  Nothing more nothing less really. 

Binge watched the first season of "The Bear" highly recommend and pleasantly suprised.

Carmen Berzatto, a brilliant young chef from the fine-dining world is forced to return home to run his local family sandwich shop - the Original Beef of Chicagoland - after a heartbreaking death in his family.

Day@theraces
On 04/06/2023 at 13:13, Lovecraft said:

Yeah.  Crap actor.

Yet still has an Oscar.

Because the Pianist was a bloody good film which he was great in. Albeit directed by a total wrongun.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

Because the Pianist was a bloody good film which he was great in. Albeit directed by a total wrongun.

Oh he’s a great actor . I really like him .

12 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

That really was a tremendous movie.

thehibsareintheirbeds
On 11/08/2023 at 15:11, Bozi said:

Absolutely brilliant show and cast- some names in there and so many others. Jack Huston as Richard another favourite.

Never even realised it was Charlie Cox in it until I read this either.  About time for a rewatch I think

8 hours ago, thehibsareintheirbeds said:

Absolutely brilliant show and cast- some names in there and so many others. Jack Huston as Richard another favourite.

Never even realised it was Charlie Cox in it until I read this either.  About time for a rewatch I think

Tbh I never pieced it together until I (recently) started watching Daredevil and it clicked, massively impressive in both roles. 

Yeah there are some notable of mention in supporting roles but overall a remarkably good cast 

On 12/08/2023 at 22:23, Ray Gin said:

Just blitzed PainKiller on Netflix. Very similar to Dopesick (based on true events around oxycontin and the sackler family) but still a good watch.

Just finished that earlier tonight. Very enjoyable. 

John Findlay

Just finished watching the second series of the Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix.

Enjoyed it just as much as the first series.

Day@theraces
On 15/08/2023 at 23:35, thehibsareintheirbeds said:

As someone with a large fascination of the Mafia especially the era of BE and leading up to the Chin and Gotti. I felt the actors who played Rothstein, Luciano and Lanksy had it nailed to a tee. Richard Harrow was the man though, loved he and Jimmy's bond. And his wife Angela 🥰🥰😍

chester copperpot
On 12/08/2023 at 22:23, Ray Gin said:

Yip. Brilliant 

JudyJudyJudy
On 18/08/2023 at 08:54, Sex Panther said:

Finished Poker Face - Decent easy viewing, would watch a 2nd series.

It’s basically a female columbo . It’s not bad but very unbelievable 

On 17/08/2023 at 12:19, Bozi said:

Really wish they would make a third season 

All caught up on "The Bear" this really is tremendous TV. Youll laugh , youll cry , youll mostly likely relate if you are close with your family.