Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

8 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Now up to season 3 episode 4 of Succession.

I was really enjoying it up until now but seeing seeing Adrian Brody appear has ****ed it for me.   Totally pulled me out.

😞

The biggest over actor around. Though oddly he was in the first episode of Poker Face and actually was ok as he wasn't going the full over active Al Pacino he's guilty of a lot of the time. He was bloody awful in Peaky Blinders.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

The biggest over actor around. Though oddly he was in the first episode of Poker Face and actually was ok as he wasn't going the full over active Al Pacino he's guilty of a lot of the time. He was bloody awful in Peaky Blinders.

Yeah.  Crap actor.

Yet still has an Oscar.

On 04/06/2023 at 03:56, Lovecraft said:

Now up to season 3 episode 4 of Succession.

I was really enjoying it up until now but seeing seeing Adrian Brody appear has ****ed it for me.   Totally pulled me out.

😞

Just a small cameo.

Aleksander Skarsguard is very good in season 3/4.

It lost its appeal to be honest , situations seemed very regurgitated for no reason.

Four episodes into "The Terminal List" its progressing nicely, put it off for awhile as I honestly believe Chris Pratt is one of Hollywoods worst.

Dick Dastardly

Poker face is absolutely brilliant. Great lead and brilliant supporting cast in each episide. Ron Pearlman, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Nick Nolte, Ellen Barker are a few of the faces i recognised.

Even though its set in the modern day it has a real 70s/80s tv vibe about it. 

On 05/06/2023 at 20:29, Dick Dastardly said:

Poker face is absolutely brilliant. Great lead and brilliant supporting cast in each episide. Ron Pearlman, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Nick Nolte, Ellen Barker are a few of the faces i recognised.

good to hear. I’ll give it a go

PortyJambo
On 05/06/2023 at 20:29, Dick Dastardly said:

I loved it too. Very much reminiscent of Colombo, but in a modern and fond way, not taking the piss out of 70's/80's shows or just being a remake of those shows.

I enjoy Natasha Lyonne as an actor too, she was good in Russian Doll as well, and I like that kind of "cooky" type of woman. She certainly seems to channel her inner Peter Falk at times in the show as well.

Dick Dastardly
14 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I loved it too. Very much reminiscent of Colombo, but in a modern and fond way, not taking the piss out of 70's/80's shows or just being a remake of those shows.

I enjoy Natasha Lyonne as an actor too, she was good in Russian Doll as well, and I like that kind of "cooky" type of woman. She certainly seems to channel her inner Peter Falk at times in the show as well.

Yeah, definitely Peter Falk. I knew there was someone she reminded me of. I'm looking forward to series 2. 

Dick Dastardly

Watched the first episode of the 2020 Perry Mason remake last night and it was quite good. It's just been cancelled after 2 seasons though. Pretty bleak and violent 

JudyJudyJudy

Started on “ succession “ but struggling to get into it . I’m now on episode 4 but it feels like a slog . 

I’ve patched it for now and replaced it with “ yellow jackets “ jezz what a difference , it’s already got me riveted and I’ve just finished episode 2 . It’s great . I was thinking that Juliette Lewis looks a lot older than the other older class mates but it’s actually very clever casting as it appears her younger character is a drug user and alcoholic so she more “ disheveled “ . 

Also she’s a great actress . Always liked her . Terrific screen presence and that voice 😎

im looking forward to binging on the rest of it . 

6 hours ago, benny said:

Gordon from accounts on bbc iplayer.

Loved it.

Colin from accounts.....and agree its great.

44 minutes ago, kjc2006 said:

Rewatching looking after Jojo on bbc iplayer. Based in Edinburgh in the 80's

I wish I’d known it was on. A friend was one of the main characters and sadly she died a few years ago, it would have been nice to see her onscreen again. 

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

I wish I’d known it was on. A friend was one of the main characters and sadly she died a few years ago, it would have been nice to see her onscreen again. 

It's on iplayer Tazio

Dick Dastardly
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

Episode 5 of Poker Face set in an old folks home was superb. 

I binge watched the series in a few days. I think I'll be watching it again at some point. Really enjoyed it. 

On 10/06/2023 at 09:00, JudyJudyJudy said:

Started on “ succession “ but struggling to get into it . I’m now on episode 4 but it feels like a slog . 

I’ve patched it for now and replaced it with “ yellow jackets “ jezz what a difference , it’s already got me riveted and I’ve just finished episode 2 . It’s great . I was thinking that Juliette Lewis looks a lot older than the other older class mates but it’s actually very clever casting as it appears her younger character is a drug user and alcoholic so she more “ disheveled “ . 

Also she’s a great actress . Always liked her . Terrific screen presence and that voice 😎

im looking forward to binging on the rest of it . 

Succession does get a lot better. Brian Cox is tremendous in it if you push on and theres some watch through your hands comedy in it then I still replay on youtube.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Americana said:

Succession does get a lot better. Brian Cox is tremendous in it if you push on and theres some watch through your hands comedy in it then I still replay on youtube.

Ill give it a bash after " yellow jackets" thanks 

26 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Ill give it a bash after " yellow jackets" thanks 

Sure I watched the first episode of YJ and didnt rate it, twice in the last few i have heard great reviews so may have to revisit.

JudyJudyJudy
25 minutes ago, Americana said:

Sure I watched the first episode of YJ and didnt rate it, twice in the last few i have heard great reviews so may have to revisit.

I’m on episode 6 and it’s flagging a bit . 

Spoiler

It’s getting into silly mystical shite really 

On 12/06/2023 at 14:14, Americana said:

Mrs Ribble loves it but I've seen quite a few episodes by proxy and at no point did I feel like saying to her that I'd become invested in it and that we should watch together

Strange New Worlds returns with Season 2 today. Been missing Star Trek since the amazing Picard S3 finished.
I enjoyed the first season, some good characters I got to know much quicker than those in ST:Discovery. Only thing that jars occasionally is the very informal way characters interact compared with more 'stiff' Trek like TOS or TNG. 

Black Mirror S6. Booker himself admitted that our last few years of increasingly dystopian existence was hard to write around as he likes to be predicting stuff not reacting. Let's see if the episodes are decent for this season. 

Edited by Gizmo

JudyJudyJudy
On 12/06/2023 at 14:14, Americana said:

Ludicrous plot development in episode 9 so I’m losing interest . 

Strange New Worlds a bit "meh" in the first episode of Season Two.

Lots of time padding nonsense.

Characters spout one or two lines then stand around "looking intense" as the music swells for about 30 seconds before cutting to the next scene, where the exact feckin thing happens again.

Lots of slow motion gobshite to pad out the run time too.

Not a strong opener and a troubling sign that the writing standard may have fallen off a cliff so it's all aboard the time padding train.....

JudyJudyJudy

“ yellow jackets” 

I raved about it earlier and have now watched both seasons . It must be one of the worse shows I have ever watched . Ludicrous storylines , implausible character developments , a very uneven match of drama and “ comedy.” It’s so bad . How the hell it got hyped up I’m not sure . 

only two positive things are the actors and the music 

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Black Mirror season 6 on Netflix. Loch Henry was a bit of a different vibe for the series but still enjoyable. 

Edited by Ray Gin

Just finished watching ‘Glitch’ on Netflix.

First two seasons were really good. Third wasn’t as good but still watchable.

Recommended.

Got a bored and starting watching "Spartacus Blood and Sand" . Seen them all before and still very enjoyable. Wonder how good the franchise would have been if the late Andy Whitfields replacement had not of been so dyer. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Americana said:

Got a bored and starting watching "Spartacus Blood and Sand" . Seen them all before and still very enjoyable. Wonder how good the franchise would have been if the late Andy Whitfields replacement had not of been so dyer. 

Loved that show . 

John Findlay

I'm enjoying Guilt on the BBC Iplayer at the moment. It's nonsense, but very enjoyable nonsense. Lots of good Scottish actors in it.

Malinga the Swinga

Surprised myself but I quite enjoyed 'Man like Mobeen' on BBC3.

Deals with some serious topics in humourous way and passes a quick 25 minutes.

Almost every Aussie or Oirish tv program I watch needs subtitles. Very difficult to understand. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Canscot

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, Canscot said:

Almost every Aussie or Oirish tv program I watch needs subtitles. Very difficult to understand. 🤷‍♂️

I end up putting subtitles up on most now including UK. I'm not deaf.

Cannot make out what is getting said.

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I stream most tv these days, at 1.5x speed with subtitles on.

Almost every programme has a shit-ton of time padding in it these days.

Lots of soaring music over absolutely nothing happening.

Characters reel off a couple of lines then stand there looking intense as more soaring music tries to import the gravity of the situation. Because the audience is otherwise too thick to understand what's going on and how to feel unless given musical cues.

Lots of long, lingering establishing shots with absolutely nothing happening.

Lots of other pish that serves no purpose than to pad out the run time.

Feck that nonsense.

Blaze through it on 1.5x speed and get the story telt.

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

That is very true. Most shows seem like a mumble fest. 
I also, am not deaf but I hate subtitles. Find it very distracting.  

Dick Dastardly
5 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

The Gallows Pole

Shane Meadows does it again

I like Shane Meadows. I'll give the Gallows Pole a look 

Dick Dastardly

Watched the first episode of Secret Invasion. Quite enjoyable but i was nearly in tears at the end 

Spoiler

Cobie Smulders dies 😭😭😭