• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Reckoning on Iplayer. 

Not an easy watch as Saville was a horrible person who was idolised by millions. 

This shows how he was able to get away with things for so long and is a platform for some of his victims to have their voices heard. 

I thought Coogan played the role well but it still sickens me that we still have folk like Saville.

Only watched the first episode but Coogan was fantastic.

For as long as there are humans we will have folk like Saville and much much worse.

3 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Only watched the first episode but Coogan was fantastic.

For as long as there are humans we will have folk like Saville and much much worse.

Personally found it a hard watch, due to the subject matter.

Coogan does an excellent acting job as Saville. Just tragic he died before he could be brought to boot.

Another good one is the Long Shadow on STV. Dramatisation of Peter Sutcliffe.

At least he was caught and brought to boot.

scott herbertson
On 09/10/2023 at 21:35, scott herbertson said:

Agreed first two series were enjoyable and he's a good  charismatic character as called for in the books)

Going to be uploading some first UK editions of the books soon - you might be interested in the representation by the actor in this cover from the first book publication of an adaptation from the West End play (1910s)

IMG_0501.jpg

Oh and a wee quiz question. The man in the inset on the front portraying Lupin in the West End  was one of the most famous actors of his day, son of a then famous author, played Captain Hook in the first staged version of Peter Pan, had a brand of cigarettes named after him  and his second daughter (of three) became even more famous than him, but refused to attend his funeral on his death in 1934, 5 years before her own greatest successs was published.#

Who is he - without resorting to Wiki or other cheaty internet thingummyjigs...?

Carl Fredrickson
13 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Personally found it a hard watch, due to the subject matter.

Coogan does an excellent acting job as Saville. Just tragic he died before he could be brought to boot.

Another good one is the Long Shadow on STV. Dramatisation of Peter Sutcliffe.

At least he was caught and brought to boot.

I agree Re Long Shadow. Another sad watch which focusses a lot more on the victims. Very well produced. 

Khorra on Netflix 

Sacred Games 

Some excellent Indian Crime dramas on Netflix 

As a bonus I’ve learnt to say Motherfu@@er in Hindi 

Finished the Beckham program on Netflix. That was superb.  Fantastic seeing and hearing from the legends from both Man Utd and Real Madrid. It’s really good and Victoria comes over really well. It certainly comes over that he wore the trousers which I’m sure is intentional.

what a shite life having all the press hound you. The 98 World Cup red card aftermath was hard to watch. A time when mental health was not a spoken about thing he went through some hell.

also capello ordering him training on his own in Madrid in front of the squad - what Beckham had in his locker to do that is seriously impressive .

10/10 all day long and up there with anything along these lines I’ve ever watched and I wasn’t interested in his life outside football whatsoever

1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

Khorra on Netflix 

Sacred Games 

Some excellent Indian Crime dramas on Netflix 

As a bonus I’ve learnt to say Motherfu@@er in Hindi 

nice one. I’ll check it out.

I enjoyed the 2  Delhi Crime seasons on Netflix. Harrowing stuff but outstanding quality and acting. I’m guessing you have probably seen them but if not I would recommend them

Interview with the Vampire.

A seven part series on BBC2, I loved the and will be interested in how this goes.

On 11/10/2023 at 06:35, scott herbertson said:

Oh and a wee quiz question. The man in the inset on the front portraying Lupin in the West End  was one of the most famous actors of his day, son of a then famous author, played Captain Hook in the first staged version of Peter Pan, had a brand of cigarettes named after him  and his second daughter (of three) became even more famous than him, but refused to attend his funeral on his death in 1934, 5 years before her own greatest successs was published.#

Who is he - without resorting to Wiki or other cheaty internet thingummyjigs...?

Brian Hamlet?

Shaun Camel? 

Richard Silkcut? 

Edited by Sooperstar

On 11/10/2023 at 06:35, scott herbertson said:

Basil Rathbone...only name I can think of but think he was after that time.

scott herbertson

I

1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Basil Rathbone...only name I can think of but think he was after that time.

2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Brian Hamlet?

Shaun Camel? 

Richard Silkcut? 

I'll give you another two clues - his daughter's most famous book was filmed by Hitchcock and his father's most famous book / play gave its name to Frank Sinatra's hat

Edited by scott herbertson

31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The continental.  Superb.

A confused mess that forgot to hire a lighting crew. Some good set pieces but a bit messy overall. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

A confused mess that forgot to hire a lighting crew. Some good set pieces but a bit messy overall. 

First two episodes were good, finale was awful

21 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I

I'll give you another two clues - his daughter's most famous book was filmed by Hitchcock and his father's most famous book / play gave its name to Frank Sinatra's hat

Sir Gerald Du Maurier?

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Sir Gerald Du Maurier?

You have a coconut. His father George wrote the hit play Trilby from which the hat which Sinatra wore took its name, and his daughter Daphne Du Maurier wroter rebecca (and also The Birds,  which Hitchcock also filmed, and Don't Look Now, which he didn't)

Those aren't guns in his pockets - he's just pleased you got it right

Paul Popper/Popperfoto/Popperfoto via Getty Images

Edited by scott herbertson

18 hours ago, Tazio said:

I agree about the lighting.  I to feck about with my telly and change the sound from theatre to speech.

7 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

You have a coconut. His father George wrote the hit play Trilby from which the hat which Sinatra wore took its name, and his daughter Daphne Du Maurier wroter rebecca (and also The Birds,  which Hitchcock also filmed, and Don't Look Now, which he didn't)

Those aren't guns in his pockets - he's just pleased you got it right

Paul Popper/Popperfoto/Popperfoto via Getty Images

😄

Binged on  " Jury Duty" last night. Its an 8 episodes mockumentary about a guy who is picked for jury service after being duped into thinking hes in  a real documentary about a court case. Everyone else around him are actors. Its an ingenious idea its seriously very good. So funny too , with a real diverse bunch of  " jurors" who are hysterical. They really are a loveable bunch.  James Marsden  * the actor plays himself and really hams it up as " himself".  Its all very post modern. 

The guy who was duped eventually is informed that it is a fake programme in the last episode which is surprisingly heart warming. The guy is Ronald Gladden and hes almost a hero in the US as he is such a sweet, sincere , caring , fair and an everyday Joe decent guy.  

Dont watch the second video as it gives out some of the LOL moments but if you want a flavour of how funny it is ..watch it. It also has the big reveal moment so dont watch it if you wanna wait till end of episode 7

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

best in the land
On 10/10/2023 at 08:54, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Reckoning on Iplayer. 

Not an easy watch as Saville was a horrible person who was idolised by millions. 

This shows how he was able to get away with things for so long and is a platform for some of his victims to have their voices heard. 

I thought Coogan played the role well but it still sickens me that we still have folk like Saville.

Watching it now just about to start episode 4.

Steve coogan has done well, but a bit uncomfortable to watch and not too  comfortable that it's made by BBC who covered up and turned a blind eye for years.

Carl Fredrickson
12 minutes ago, best in the land said:

Watching it now just about to start episode 4.

Steve coogan has done well, but a bit uncomfortable to watch and not too  comfortable that it's made by BBC who covered up and turned a blind eye for years.

I had read that it was commissioned by the BBC, it was made by ITV who had sole editing say in it. 

An uncomfortable watch but it gives a voice to victims and has us again highlighting the issues that allowed him to get away with it for so long. 

On 28/09/2023 at 20:20, colinmorewasgash said:

Crime series 2 lol lovely clip of tynie all be it dougray the hobo on the pitch playing jambo cop ray lennox with real jambo ken stott as his boss.

Awful series. Haven’t read the book but the screenplay was dreadful and the acting as ham as you’ll ever see. Scott just about gets away with it but the supporting cast were truly awful. Unfortunately I managed to get myself ‘invested’ in the plot and watched the whole thing. Six hours I’ll never get back

3/10

We watched the 3 parter mini series of ‘Gaia : A death on Dancing Ledge’ which is on BBC.

what a tragic story.  The reporter is Zara McDermott who covered it very sensitively. 

now watching the Netflix one about Jill Dando which is another awful story.  So sad 

Think we will be needing something a bit more light hearted next

Edited by 1971fozzy

7 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Did you spot starskey and hutch car?

I'll have a look. Any excuse to again. 👍

Black Sail. Sat down to watch it with the Mrs and then Black Beard scene arrives. :oohmatron: :rofl:Pishing myself. "Black Beard wants to see you" :rofl:

Edited by ri Alban

henrysmithsgloves
31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I seen/saw a still of it. Still a cool motor.

I thought I was tripping when I first seen the gran Torino 🤣

1 minute ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

I heard the taxi is the taxi from Taxi driver. Same reg too. Might be bollox.

The hearse from warriors anaw.

6 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

henrysmithsgloves
54 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The hearse from warriors anaw.

59 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I heard the taxi is the taxi from Taxi driver. Same reg too. Might be bollox.

Need to watch it again,just starskys car stuck out. It was a ,blink and you've missed it scene😎

Carl Fredrickson

Watched Salems Lot with my son on Saturday. Still worth a watch over 40 years since my first viewing. My boy jumped at a couple of parts and the vampire at the window is still as creepy as feck. 

Plant Earth 3 - watched the first episode with my daughter and it is compulsive viewing. 

Dead Set 

Noticed this old series by Charlie Brooker has appeared on Netflix. Still a decent watch.

Zombie apocalypse hits during the filming of Big Brother. 

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

2004 British comedy starring Matthew Holness, Richard Ayoade, Matt Berry and Alice Lowe. 

A multi layered show, with talking heads discussing the cancellation and impact of a 1980s horror/drama show called Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

In this fictional show within a show, various supernatural events occur at Darkplace hospital.

The whole thing is shot deliberately badly, with jump cuts, visible microphones, terrible overdubbing, bad props, shite special effects, nonsensical plots and awful dialogue.

It's utter genius and will only take one evening to binge-watch as there are only 6 episodes each lasting around 25 minutes.

A superb show and very under-rated.

10/10

On 23/10/2023 at 11:19, Carl Fredrickson said:

Watched Salems Lot with my son on Saturday. Still worth a watch over 40 years since my first viewing. My boy jumped at a couple of parts and the vampire at the window is still as creepy as feck. 

Plant Earth 3 - watched the first episode with my daughter and it is compulsive viewing. 

I was watching planet earth 3. The shark and seals part was epic, When the seals all got together and forced it out to sea. The pups 😭

Carl Fredrickson
12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I was watching planet earth 3. The shark and seals part was epic, When the seals all got together and forced it out to sea. The pups 😭

I was gobsmacked at that bit. Laughed out loud at the section with the spitting fish. It is an amazing family programme. 

On 24/10/2023 at 17:22, ri Alban said:

Bloody hell but these wildlife programmes don’t half make you appreciate  4k television. 

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

Bloody hell but these wildlife programmes don’t half make you appreciate  4k television. 

Auld Davie is still the master.

I watched the first episode of the new American made history of the planet on Netflix. Produced by Steven Spielberg and narrated by Morgan Freeman. It made me appreciate the BBC one even more. 

Watched the Gotti docuseries on Netflix (think it got released yesterday)

superb. Frightening what they got up to and did to people. The story about the made man who had an affair with another made man’s wife -  ooooooft

well worth watching