• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just spotted that Justified: City Primeval is on Disney+ now. Shame it isn’t set in the back woods anymore as I enjoyed the mad redneck characters in the original series. 

Previously recommended in early 2022 on this thread, Hidden Assets is a Belgian-Irish co-production, a detective drama about terrorism, organised crime, political conspiracy and stuff like that.

BBC Four had series 1, and it's still available on the iPlayer somewhere. Season 2 started a couple of weeks ago on RTÉ, and is on the RTÉ player.  S2 is a continuation of S1, and IMO both are worth watching.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/hidden-assets

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

3 episodes done and it’s good. Clearly aimed at 1 season so less deep development of stories and characters but overall enjoying it. 

I've finished it the other day. Enjoyed it and suspect we'll be seeing more of Raylan in the future. 

Malinga the Swinga

Wilderness on Amazon an easy 6 part binge with good ending.

Jenna Coleman as wife who discovers husband cheating her but she doesn't sit back and accept it.

Malinga the Swinga
17 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Previously recommended in early 2022 on this thread, Hidden Assets is a Belgian-Irish co-production, a detective drama about terrorism, organised crime, political conspiracy and stuff like that.

BBC Four had series 1, and it's still available on the iPlayer somewhere. Season 2 started a couple of weeks ago on RTÉ, and is on the RTÉ player.  S2 is a continuation of S1, and IMO both are worth watching.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/hidden-assets

I enjoyed season 1 while back. Hopefully iPlayer will have season 2. Season 1 had you guessing who real conspirators were till near the end.

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities
Light-horror anthology, very much in the same vein as "Tales of the Unexpected" or "The Twilight Zone".

8 stand-alone episodes all by different directors telling macabre stories, ranging from Lovecraft adaptations to psychological horrors to demons, monsters, ghosts; all that sort of thing.

Each episode has a distinct look and feel, and each episode is hated by some viewers and loved by others.

Some people just "get" what a particular director is doing, and others don't.

Well worth your time.

Some pretty big name stars on show, or at least some recognisable faces.

Hard to give the series as a whole a rating, due to each episode being so different.

Samuel Camazzola
On 19/09/2023 at 20:58, Malinga the Swinga said:

Wilderness on Amazon an easy 6 part binge with good ending.

Jenna Coleman as wife who discovers husband cheating her but she doesn't sit back and accept it.

Watched it last week. 

Like you say, an easy watch but with plenty holes in the plot. 

On 19/09/2023 at 07:33, Sooperstar said:

I've finished it the other day. Enjoyed it and suspect we'll be seeing more of Raylan in the future. 

I suspect you may be correct. 

Just started The Continental on Amazon Prime. Origin story of the hotel in the John Wick stories. Also nice that more of the content we pay for is coming in UHD quality from Amazon, shame that Netflix charge you extra for 4k. 

51 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Just started The Continental on Amazon Prime. Origin story of the hotel in the John Wick stories. Also nice that more of the content we pay for is coming in UHD quality from Amazon, shame that Netflix charge you extra for 4k. 

I am pretty sure someone Scottish is involved in the writing or direction. 

Spoiler

A character appears who is a torturer wearing a kilt. He then puts Yes Sir I Can Boogie on the radio before proceeding to beat the guy to a pulp. 

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

from the beginning of next year there will be an extra charge for amazon prime video to not have ads

19 hours ago, milky_26 said:

from the beginning of next year there will be an extra charge for amazon prime video to not have ads

The ads they have on Freevee aren't too disruptive. A wee 20-30 second advert every so often. Hopefully they stick with that format. 

Finished binging Arcane on Netflix. I'm not usually one for animated series, but this was visually stunning with excellent voice acting to compliment it. I can't really say anything about the (very decent) story without giving away major spoilers, but it doesn't hold back with the action and has some real gut-punching moments. What really made it special for me, though, was the character depth and development. It doesn't have a single one- or two-dimensional character - you can understand each of their perspectives and motives (even if you don't agree with them).

I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I did, but the series is now one of my favourites. Also, Silco is right up there with Heath Ledger's Joker as one of the best villains I've ever seen.

On 21/09/2023 at 20:07, jambopilms said:

Just finished series 3 of Top Boy on Netflix. Good stuff, just took me a while to tune into what they were saying.

Say less Wagwan

On 18/09/2023 at 22:10, Tazio said:

Just spotted that Justified: City Primeval is on Disney+ now. Shame it isn’t set in the back woods anymore as I enjoyed the mad redneck characters in the original series. 

Started watching it last night, and enjoying it. It's maybe not as amazing as the original show, but it's still great. Hope they make more of them, I've never read the books they're based on by Elmore Leonard, but there must be more that they can use as source material.

On a side-note, I've noticed that with shows like this one with sex/swearing/violence/drugs on Disney+....the only warning they put up on screen before the show is "contain scenes depicting tobacco" :rofl:

colinmorewasgash

Crime series 2 lol lovely clip of tynie all be it dougray the hobo on the pitch playing jambo cop ray lennox with real jambo ken stott as his boss.

For some reason I'd never watched Black Mirror, despite being a fan of Charlie Brooker's works.

Binged a couple of episodes a day and I'm up to season 4 now and thoroughly enjoying it.

Quality is a bit variable, but that's always the way in anthology series.

A little bit over-use of VR/AR, as if that's all the writers could come up with, but they manage to just about do something different enough with that same premise in each episode to keep it from getting too stale.

I also enjoy spotting the various easter eggs and references to previous episodes, confirming that it's all based in the same world.

Brassic is back.

Unfortunately I’ve been disappointed thus far.

Was really looking forward to it. 4 episodes in it’s not lived up to the extremely high standards previous.

Still got 4 to go so fingers crossed it picks up.

William H. Bonney
26 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Brassic is back.

Unfortunately I’ve been disappointed thus far.

Was really looking forward to it. 4 episodes in it’s not lived up to the extremely high standards previous.

Still got 4 to go so fingers crossed it picks up.

I'm the same. Too many stupid storylines.  

If you’re missing The Boys then Generation V is on Amazon Prime now. About the university the soops attend with a young cast. Still getting to know the characters but it continues in the same tasteful way as The Boys so naturally am very bizarre sex scene in the first episode. And violence, and gore. 

JudyJudyJudy

What’s the best series to start with the Star Wars tv programmes ? I’ve already watched “ obi wan kenobi” . Does it matter which order you watch then in ? 

On 03/09/2023 at 21:04, PortyJambo said:

A spinoff from The Boys, set in a college for superheroes, starts on Prime later this month. The next season of the main show won't be on until next year, so might be something to watch in the meantime

Gen V is a decent offering in The Boys franchise.

Even though a franchise of a Superhero series that rips the piss out of Superhero franchises is a bit too meta (and hypocritical) for me.

Three episodes in and so far it's every bit as violent and bitingly satirical as The Boys itself.

I'm hoping it's going to be a stand-alone spinoff thing and not tie in directly to The Boys, like what Star Wars are doing with all their nonsense.

The animated series "Diabolical" was also decent fun and expanded on The Boys setting without being a necessary watch. 

There remains the threat of the whole franchise becoming formulaic. 

Wacky super powers. Shock for the sake of shock. Vought being evil. That will get boring very quickly if they get caught in those same few tropes.

But for now it's still fun.

Gen V is worth a watch.

Edited by Cade

Malinga the Swinga

Boiling Point excellent 4 part series. It's a follow up to film with same name and most of same cast. Film showing on Film 4 and recommend you watch first before series which is on BBC.

9 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Boiling Point excellent 4 part series. It's a follow up to film with same name and most of same cast. Film showing on Film 4 and recommend you watch first before series which is on BBC.

Wish I had known that. Working my way though the series.

On 21/09/2023 at 20:07, jambopilms said:

Just finished series 3 of Top Boy on Netflix. Good stuff, just took me a while to tune into what they were saying.

Subtitles on for me. :lol:

Watched all of The Boys and loved it, Gen V is certainly worth a watch. Going to watch the latest episode (4) that came out this morning!

Welcome to Wrexham on Disney is really good.

Before this I had no idea who these guys were. They come across really well and funny guys.

Must have watched about 4 hrs worth today, love it.

Edited by Tommy Brown

JudyJudyJudy
13 hours ago, Tazio said:

Third season of Lupin has arrived on Netflix today. 

Oh great . Love it . The lead actor is so charismatic 

JudyJudyJudy
On 05/10/2023 at 21:25, Malinga the Swinga said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I was getting rather confused 

I was going to recommend The John Wick spinoff/prequel series The Continental based on the first two episodes, which were good fun and were building to a decent finish but then it shat the bed in the finale and went dub as feck so I cannot recommend it.

Rushed the final episode, visited just about every lazy cliche in the film making arsenal and left a sour taste in the mouth.

4/10 series score.

Edited by Cade

henrysmithsgloves

Clarksons farm on Amazon.

Like him or loath him,great program and brings attention to problems faced by farmers country wide 9/10

scott herbertson
On 07/10/2023 at 12:04, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh great . Love it . The lead actor is so charismatic 

Agreed first two series were enjoyable and he's a good  charismatic character as called for in the books)

Going to be uploading some first UK editions of the books soon - you might be interested in the representation by the actor in this cover from the first book publication of an adaptation from the West End play (1910s)

IMG_0501.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Agreed first two series were enjoyable and he's a good  charismatic character as called for in the books)

Going to be uploading some first UK editions of the books soon - you might be interested in the representation by the actor in this cover from the first book publication of an adaptation from the West End play (1910s)

IMG_0501.jpg

👍

One Piece

A live-action adaptation of the extremely popular Japanese Manga comic of the same name, which has spawned an entire multi-million selling multi-media franchise.

A motley crew of pirates go on the search for a mythical horde of treasure in a fantasy setting.

Absolutely bonkers but great fun.

Very stylised but if you can deal with that then you'll be rewarded.

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

One Piece

A live-action adaptation of the extremely popular Japanese Manga comic of the same name, which has spawned an entire multi-million selling multi-media franchise.

A motley crew of pirates go on the search for a mythical horde of treasure in a fantasy setting.

Absolutely bonkers but great fun.

Very stylised but if you can deal with that then you'll be rewarded.

It was good fun. 

Carl Fredrickson

The Reckoning on Iplayer. 

Not an easy watch as Saville was a horrible person who was idolised by millions. 

This shows how he was able to get away with things for so long and is a platform for some of his victims to have their voices heard. 

I thought Coogan played the role well but it still sickens me that we still have folk like Saville.