Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dick Dastardly

I've got a feeling this has been axesd before but i cant be bothered looking through the thread.

Why do some Americans say axe, axeing or axesd instead of ask, asking and asked? 

3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I've got a feeling this has been axesd before but i cant be bothered looking through the thread.

Why do some Americans say axe, axeing or axesd instead of ask, asking and asked? 

I think I've asked myself on this thread.

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I think I've asked myself on this thread.

I demand answers. Well i demand someone deliver me answers as i can't be bothered looking for myself

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I demand answers. Well i demand someone deliver me answers as i can't be bothered looking for myself

I can't remember getting an answer but I also asked about Squirtters too and didn't glean any info.

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I’ve noticed lately in American films they say “ I should go “ whereas we would say “ I’ll be going now “ I’ve never heard anyone say “ I should go “ 

Dick Dastardly
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I can't remember getting an answer but I also asked about Squirtters too and didn't glean any info.

Squirt is just pee, if it's the kind of squirt I'm thinking about 

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

Squirt is just pee, if it's the kind of squirt I'm thinking about 

We're on the same page.

13 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Because they're thick.

Dick Dastardly
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’ve noticed lately in American films they say “ I should go “ whereas we would say “ I’ll be going now “ I’ve never heard anyone say “ I should go “ 

Yeah, strange one. I've noticed the word minute being used a lot to mean a while, like "it's been a minute" or "i haven't seen you in a minute" 

Dick Dastardly
4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

We're on the same page.

If you're on the same page as me it's no wonder you're squirting. Razzle issue 365 page 16 (readers wives) right? 

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

If you're on the same page as me it's no wonder you're squirting. Razzle issue 365 page 16 (readers wives) right? 

Oooo that brings back memories 😅

Dick Dastardly
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Because they're thick.

Well, to be honest, that was my first instinct. I think there must be more too it though. 

As far as your first question goes, I read somewhere that some people with accents, regional and national, muscles in their throats and mouths develop along with the accents they hear and grow up talking meaning that some words and sounds are very difficult to pronounce.

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yeah, strange one. I've noticed the word minute being used a lot to mean a while, like "it's been a minute" or "i haven't seen you in a minute" 

👍

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

For shits and giggle, ask a native Spanish speaker to say ‘crisps’. 

Not so good outside Europe I’d imagine. 

Dick Dastardly
9 hours ago, jonesy said:

Glad you axed. 

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-xpm-2014-jan-19-la-oe-mcwhorter-black-speech-ax-20140119-story.html

Interestingly, Obama would sometimes slip in an ‘ax’ when addressing predominantly less affluent black crowds. 

Interesting article. Cheers. 

Obama, being a politician (obviously), would have done that on purpose, wouldn't he? 

Dick Dastardly
34 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Maybe just an Americanism, but why did  helicopters become known as "choppers" ? 

Absolutely not itk but maybe from chopping folks heads off? 

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Maybe just an Americanism, but why did  helicopters become known as "choppers" ? 

51 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Absolutely not itk but maybe from chopping folks heads off? 

It is possibly more that some of them the rotors sound like chop chop chop thus choppers

Home teams in rugby union (6nations) play in their away when the kits clash……France away to Italy on Sunday France wore their traditional blue kit…….

2 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Home teams in rugby union (6nations) play in their away when the kits clash……France away to Italy on Sunday France wore their traditional blue kit…….

Historically the home side would have easier access to a different kit and it was seen as the hosting sides duty to put more effort in, in regards to not having a clash in kits

On 30/01/2023 at 23:35, Dawnrazor said:

As far as your first question goes, I read somewhere that some people with accents, regional and national, muscles in their throats and mouths develop along with the accents they hear and grow up talking meaning that some words and sounds are very difficult to pronounce.

According to my missus,l who's a speech therapist, if you're not immersed in to the local dialect or language by the age of seven, you're never going to be able to replicate the sounds a natural speaker would have. 

Just now, Norm said:

According to my missus,l who's a speech therapist, if you're not immersed in to the local dialect or language by the age of seven, you're never going to be able to replicate the sounds a natural speaker would have. 

Does she say why? Is it because of how the muscles in the mouth and throat are used and develop or is purely through listening and hearing?

47 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Does she say why? Is it because of how the muscles in the mouth and throat are used and develop or is purely through listening and hearing?

She's pretty sure it's due to the listening and hearing. She was in a rush so didn't expand on it but I'd assume if the necessary neural pathways aren't formed by then, they never will. Or at least, never to the same level as a native speaker. 

Edited by Norm

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

She's pretty sure it's due to the listening and hearing. She was in a rush so didn't expand on it but I'd assume if the necessary neural pathways aren't formed by then, they never will. Or at least, never to the same level as a native speaker. 

Right, cheers 👍

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

It is possibly more that some of them the rotors sound like chop chop chop thus choppers

Could be that actually. 👍 The start of MASH had that sort of sound as "choppers" brought in wounded soldiers.  

56 minutes ago, Norm said:

The strangest example I know of was a young guy of Mexican descent who pronounced chilli as "chirri"  ..... I can't remember if he pronounced other English words with an "L" sound correctly or not.   

Dick Dastardly
5 hours ago, milky_26 said:

I like the chopping heads off "theory" better but you are probably correct 😂😂

periodictabledancer
4 hours ago, Norm said:

I studied this as part of my psychology studies. We all bought into it until some smart ass dug out a case of a woman who was in a car crash or had a stroke , can't remember specifically. The woman would speak in some weird French accent and nobody knew why. 

Why do bus drivers pull away from the stop when they know you have been running to catch it ? When I say “ running” I mean hobbling to due to my health issues . The **** sped away maybe he’s on Jkb

😂

On 07/02/2023 at 15:03, Lone Striker said:

As an aside, a while ago I discovered that’s it’s not from two words ‘heli’ and ‘copter’ but from the Latin ‘helico’ / helix / spiral and ‘pter’ from the Ancient Greek for ‘wing’.  

4 minutes ago, FWJ said:

As an aside, a while ago I discovered that’s it’s not from two words ‘heli’ and ‘copter’ but from the Latin ‘helico’ / helix / spiral and ‘pter’ from the Ancient Greek for ‘wing’.  

Nah, no way did the ancient Greeks have helicopters, come on man!

21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I was stuck overnight in a shitty Travelodge recently and, as I don't have a TV at home, ended up getting sucked into looking about the dozens of channels offered on modern TV. Ended up watching two episodes back to back. Superb stuff.

I preferred “ are you being served ?” Lol I think it was same writers . Or “ Fawlty towers “

35 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thought you'd have been in about those Nazi uniforms like a tramp about chips.allo_allo.jpg

Only if Brando or Monty Clift had the uniform on ! 😎

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Thought you'd have been in about those Nazi uniforms like a tramp about chips.allo_allo.jpg

Wasn't the Nazi on the far right of the photo slightly "camp" ?       From vague memory, the whole plot revolved around  protecting a famous painting from being looted by the Nazis - "zee fallen Madonna wiz zee big boobies"  😃

6 hours ago, FWJ said:

Interesting.  "pter" as in Pterodactyl  ?        As opposed to Terry Dactyl &  the Dinosaurs ........😏 

Edited by Lone Striker

13 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Why don't spring loaded tape measures have calibration on both sides of the tape?  

One I bought from Screwfix, a year or so ago, has it on both sides.

6 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Interesting.  "pter" as in Pterodactyl  ?        As opposed to Terry Dactyl &  the Dinosaurs ........😏 

Ah, I hadn't associated that before. It appears that pterodactyls were a member of the pterosaurs, the earliest vertebrates known to have evolved powered flight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterosaur

John Gentleman
8 hours ago, Meathook said:

One I bought from Screwfix, a year or so ago, has it on both sides.

I've discovered (and ordered) the Advent vice-versa tape from the UK. Not only is it calibrated on both sides of the tape ('blade'), it's also calibrated on both edges of the blade in metric only -- no 'legacy' inches/feet!

Yay!!

21 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Why don't spring loaded tape measures have calibration on both sides of the tape?  

Some do but for most it might be similar to why matchboxes only have the sandpaper bit on one side, it reduces the cost of production and materials.

periodictabledancer
On 13/02/2023 at 13:27, jonesy said:

Extensive watching of ‘Allo ‘Allo?

She didn't look like Vicki Michelle. Sadly. 

• 3 weeks later...
I P Knightley

Before Daniel Booked released Beautiful Sunday in 1972, what was the go-to song for folk wanting to dance the slosh?

• 3 weeks later...
Lone Striker

If the US state Kansas is pronounced just as you see it spelled, why does the  US state Arkansas get pronounced as Arkansaw ?

4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

If the US state Kansas is pronounced just as you see it spelled, why does the  US state Arkansas get pronounced as Arkansaw ?

weirdly it is a state law in arkansas on how to pronounce it. it comes from arkansas having a french origin, while kansas an english origin

7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

A bit like Kilncadzow being pronounced as kin-kay-day.

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

weirdly it is a state law in arkansas on how to pronounce it. it comes from arkansas having a french origin, while kansas an english origin

👍 DIdn't know that - thanks