Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:) You should definitely throw all your energy into campaigning for the communities inside the bypass to become part of the City of Edinburgh.

However, you would probably then have to campaign to get the City of Edinburgh bit outside of the bypass incorporated into Midlothian. Might take a bit of work!

Screenshotat2023-10-1916-44-28.png.3956472bb95c581fc23f6bacf7d93775.png

Easy answer:  Move the bypass.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The food and drink thing is also about continuity. On a decent film or tv set every time the director calls cut on a scene the continuity staff take photos of any variables like amounts of food on a plate or drink in a glass. Then when they shoot the scene from a different angle these things don’t change. 
A mate did extra work on a Taggart years ago on a scene in a bar. The props department forgot to order alcohol free beer so they all got real booze with the Instruction to try not to down it for continuity. So of course they necked it every time filming stopped so they had to get a top up to where it was. Paid a days wages for standing around getting slowly pissed can’t be too bad a days work. 

Going way out on a limb here …  I watch the US Ghosts and one of the characters was killed in a bear attack. A feature of the premise is the ghosts appear exactly  as they did when they died and I’ve wondered if the scratches on the character’s face are drawn exactly the same every day in make-up (or maybe they’re on a skin-coloured patch)

I need to get out more

Edited by FWJ

Something that's always bugged me, but not enough to actually make an attempt to find out, is why petrol and diesel price is always something.9 pence. Why the point 9 pence?

1 hour ago, superjack said:

Something that's always bugged me, but not enough to actually make an attempt to find out, is why petrol and diesel price is always something.9 pence. Why the point 9 pence?

Not sure, but shops make stuff 1.99 for example, because it sounds better than 2 quid, same goes for car garages, this car is only £14,995, because if it was 15k, you'd not buy it?  it's a lot of shite.

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Not sure, but shops make stuff 1.99 for example, because it sounds better than 2 quid, same goes for car garages, this car is only £14,995, because if it was 15k, you'd not buy it?  it's a lot of shite.

….  apparently it started decades ago in the pounds shillings & pence days.  Things would be priced at 6s 11d or 19s 11d etc.  This was because if something cost 19/11 most people would hand over a pound note.  Dishonest cashiers could simply pocket it.  By charging the odd amount the cashier would have to ring up the sale to open the till to get the change.

The psychological ‘it costs less than a pound’ was discovered later.

7 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Everything should be rounded up to the pound, and any coin below 10 pence should be banned. 

Yeah, bring back pieces of eight.

pharmaceutical01
16 hours ago, FWJ said:

Going way out on a limb here …  I watch the US Ghosts and one of the characters was killed in a bear attack. A feature of the premise is the ghosts appear exactly  as they did when they died and I’ve wondered if the scratches on the character’s face are drawn exactly the same every day in make-up (or maybe they’re on a skin-coloured patch)

I need to get out more

I think the same about the guy on Corrie who suffered an acid attack....must be a patch. The bandage he has on always looks the same

18 hours ago, FWJ said:

I need to get out more

I read an article years ago that Kiefer Sutherland during one of the series of 24 his character had spent time undercover with a drugs gang and ended up getting tattoos. Sutherland got sick of spending hours everyday in makeup getting the tattoos redrawn on him so he went out and got them actually done

26 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I read an article years ago that Kiefer Sutherland during one of the series of 24 his character had spent time undercover with a drugs gang and ended up getting tattoos. Sutherland got sick of spending hours everyday in makeup getting the tattoos redrawn on him so he went out and got them actually done

I’ve heard of people putting on or losing stones of weight for a part but that’s dedication there!

13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

rich v poor basically 

top hat, car etc = rich

iron etc = poor 

the premise of the game is about wealth and obtaining it rich or poor

Apt Avatar.

We were discussing this earlier in work (we’re quite the interesting bunch). Why is there a little bit of grease roof paper on top of the butter if you buy the spreadable stuff that comes in a tub? It can’t be to protect it from dirt as there’s a lid already. 

28 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

rich v poor basically 

top hat, car etc = rich

iron etc = poor 

the premise of the game is about wealth and obtaining it rich or poor

Nah, not having that. Car and Top Hat? Thimble and dog poor? Must be more to it than that.

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

We were discussing this earlier in work (we’re quite the interesting bunch). Why is there a little bit of grease roof paper on top of the butter if you buy the spreadable stuff that comes in a tub? It can’t be to protect it from dirt as there’s a lid already. 

I've heard two different explanations for that, both from people who work in the industry in Ireland.

One is that without the greaseproof layer (or sealed foil, which some brands use), the plastic in the lid causes some kind of condensation reaction, and the extra layer stops that happening.  The condensation isn't harmful, but the thinking is that people will get the ick if they see water droplets on the top of their spread.

The other is just marketing. The idea is that butter and spreads are traditionally associated with greaseproof wrappers. Seeing the bit of greaseproof wrapping on the product apparently reassures the punter that the spreadable stuff is actually old-fashioned and "natural".

The above might just be bullshit, of course.

4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I've heard two different explanations for that, both from people who work in the industry in Ireland.

One is that without the greaseproof layer (or sealed foil, which some brands use), the plastic in the lid causes some kind of condensation reaction, and the extra layer stops that happening.  The condensation isn't harmful, but the thinking is that people will get the ick if they see water droplets on the top of their spread.

The other is just marketing. The idea is that butter and spreads are traditionally associated with greaseproof wrappers. Seeing the bit of greaseproof wrapping on the product apparently reassures the punter that the spreadable stuff is actually old-fashioned and "natural".

The above might just be bullshit, of course.

Both sound plausible to me. I find it useful for spreading butter on a Pyrex dish before making macaroni cheese to stop it sticking. Though of course I could just use my fingers. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I find it useful for spreading butter on a Pyrex dish before making macaroni cheese to stop it sticking. Though of course I could just use my fingers. 

No you couldn't, 'cos that'd be icky. Keep using the greaseproof. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

No you couldn't, 'cos that'd be icky. Keep using the greaseproof. :laugh:

I scoop it out with a spoon first so I don’t touch the butter. I’m not an animal!
The only way to get a good layer of butter on a chicken if you’re roasting it is to rub it in with your fingers. 

Just now, Tazio said:

The only way to get a good layer of butter on a chicken if you’re roasting it is to rub it in with your fingers. 

This is true.

People who half peel the paper bit inside butter when they first open it then insist of keeping it in there for weeks as it its offering some sort of protection need their heads checked. Probably the same people who believe that putting a spoon in the neck of an open bottle fizz will keep the bubbles in.

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

People who half peel the paper bit inside butter when they first open it then insist of keeping it in there for weeks as it its offering some sort of protection need their heads checked. Probably the same people who believe that putting a spoon in the neck of an open bottle fizz will keep the bubbles in.

Bizarre behaviour, akin to using the wee daft sticker to reseal the bread instead of squeeze the air out, twist, and fold underneath like a normal human being.

12 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Bizarre behaviour, akin to using the wee daft sticker to reseal the bread instead of squeeze the air out, twist, and fold underneath like a normal human being.

Precisely. 

35 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I scoop it out with a spoon first so I don’t touch the butter. I’m not an animal!

Even better if you mix it with some thyme and get it under  the skin.

Just now, FWJ said:

Even better if you mix it with some thyme and get it under  the skin.

Yeah but on the skin makes it crispy and delicious. Under the skin is good for making the meat nice and tasty. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Yeah but on the skin makes it crispy and delicious. Under the skin is good for making the meat nice and tasty. 

True.  Maybe do a half n half.

Have you tried Guinea Fowl BTW?  It’s really delicious - spatchcock it and it’s done in about 45 mins 

1 minute ago, FWJ said:

True.  Maybe do a half n half.

Have you tried Guinea Fowl BTW?  It’s really delicious - spatchcock it and it’s done in about 45 mins 

I’ve cooked it and it’s been great and the exact opposite. It seems to have a really short window of time before it dries out. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I’ve cooked it and it’s been great and the exact opposite. It seems to have a really short window of time before it dries out. 

I cover it for half the time & then baste regularly. (But also put plenty of butter under the skin)

Edited by FWJ

11 hours ago, JWL said:

How did the inventor of Monopoly come up with the conception of the dog, iron, ship, top hat etc. tokens for each player?

weirdly that was asked by jeremey clarkson on the old episode of QIXL that was on last night and one reason suggested is the inventors wife had a charm bracelet and the things on it became the pieces

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

weirdly that was asked by jeremey clarkson on the old episode of QIXL that was on last night and one reason suggested is the inventors wife had a charm bracelet and the things on it became the pieces

Did it mention how Monopoly is only half of the Landlord's game and what have you?

(This one might have been done before)

If you’ve got a big lorry full of birds, does it weigh less if they’re flying about in it than if they’re all perching in it?

3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

If you’ve got a big lorry full of birds, does it weigh less if they’re flying about in it than if they’re all perching in it?

Oh that's a good one. My first thought is no, and it may even weigh more due to downforce if most of them are flying up, i.e. producing more downforce than their body weight. You'd need a fair few to get a measurable difference right enough.

Actually I suppose it could weigh less if they were flying down 🤔 

What's the answer?

9 minutes ago, FWJ said:

It should stay the same. The bird's weight has to be compensated by their downward push and a big lorry full of birds will cancel out those going up and down

2 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Oh that's a good one. My first thought is no, and it may even weigh more due to downforce if most of them are flying up, i.e. producing more downforce than their body weight. You'd need a fair few to get a measurable difference right enough.

Actually I suppose it could weigh less if they were flying down 🤔 

What's the answer?

I don’t know!

Would it make a difference if, instead of being airtight, it was wire mesh so the air compressed on the downforce could escape?

12 hours ago, maybolejambo said:

When a plane takes off do the wheels keep spinning when they are tucked away or is their a button for neutral.

The wheels aren't powered and aren't spinning when the landing gear is deployed, only spinning on touch-down contact with the runway, so must be stationary when inside the fuselage. 

13 hours ago, maybolejambo said:

When a plane takes off do the wheels keep spinning when they are tucked away or is their a button for neutral.

The centrifugal force of spinning wheels can affect a plane's stability, so modern planes have a braking system that automatically stops the wheels when the undercarriage is lifted.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
23 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

More like things I’ve wondered for the last 5min.

I was scrolling tik tok and between my golf, mma and old Skool hip hop. A post came up suggesting lesbian couples have a 70% divorce rate. That can’t be right surely?

It made me wonder does spousal support still apply to same sex couples in event of divorce?

Before I packed in my job, I dealt with pension sharing orders. I only ever dealt with one that involved a gay couple, but I assume everything else was as per a straight couple's divorce.

17 hours ago, Gizmo said:

The wheels aren't powered and aren't spinning when the landing gear is deployed, only spinning on touch-down contact with the runway, so must be stationary when inside the fuselage. 

16 hours ago, JKB Member C said:

The centrifugal force of spinning wheels can affect a plane's stability, so modern planes have a braking system that automatically stops the wheels when the undercarriage is lifted.

Thanks for that. I thought the wheels had some power in them for moving on to and off the runway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2023 at 17:54, maybolejambo said:

Thanks for that. I thought the wheels had some power in them for moving on to and off the runway.

All in the engines for movement on the ground too. Reverse thrust is even strong enough to move planes backwards, though only some models are allowed to legally do it.

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

When talking about fonts (ok, it’s niche) how is “sans” pronounced?  

I'd always assumed sans serif came from French (i.e.without serif) so pronounced as the French pronounce sans.

Which is kinda like sawn but not a not very nasally ending to the 'n'. make the 'n' sound as short as possible.

3 hours ago, Boof said:

I'd always assumed sans serif came from French (i.e.without serif) so pronounced as the French pronounce sans.

Which is kinda like sawn but not a not very nasally ending to the 'n'. make the 'n' sound as short as possible.

I wondered that too - or is it a ‘hypercorrection’?

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard on the radio that 2/3 of all rubbish dropped on the streets is cigarette butts. That made me wonder do smokers still keep packs of cigarettes in holders? I can always remember my grandmother keeping her cigarettes along with her lighter in a fabric holder.