Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

The Mighty Thor

I hear all police leave is cancelled on Thursday and Friday.

You hear incorrectly.

My other half and me are off on Thursday night to Munich to Oktoberfest. (to enjoy spending time with our European brethren before Cameron takes us out of Europe in 2016)

I haven't heard how the result will be announced. Will it be a running total as counts come in from Westminster/Holyrood constituencies, or will it be by local council areas or just one big result at the end?

slightly off topic, but Abbot is trying to go to war to cover the coming economic storm Geoff? I heard from a supplier in Oz that they're getting nervous of the state of the dollar post the last mining reports?

It's certainly making the news in Europe as our suppliers in Germany and Holland have been talking about it for weeks.

Dollar at its lowest level in more than 6 months.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/floodgates-tested-as-global-factors-push-australian-dollar-below-us90c-20140915-10gzq2.html

Tony Abbott is playing political smoke and mirrors with international affairs.

The sooner we have a real prime minister the better. Unfortunately we have no viable candidates from Labor.

Edited by Sydney

I haven't heard how the result will be announced. Will it be a running total as counts come in from Westminster/Holyrood constituencies, or will it be by local council areas or just one big result at the end?

Returning Officers are per local authority, so probably get the results by local authority - all 32 of them.

I was wondering what happens to this thread after Thursday? Does it go in the classics section or does it just get consigned to the depths of JKB?

It'll be used to gauge seethe and organise square go's between those who feel most aggrieved.

Battle gear should consist of kilt, claymore & tunnocks tea cakes!

The Mighty Thor

http://www.smh.com.a...915-10gzq2.html

The sooner we have a real prime minister the better. Unfortunately we have no viable candidates from Labor.

Sounds a bit like Westminster mate.

You hear incorrectly.

My other half and me are off on Thursday night to Munich to Oktoberfest. (to enjoy spending time with our European brethren before Cameron takes us out of Europe in 2016)

Always wondered about this. Seems whenever a big event on the papers scream 'ALL POLICE LEAVE CANCELLED'.

I assume they aren't telling people they'll have to pull out of their two weeks in the Maldives. Does it actually mean no further holidays will be granted?

"Hesitant voters in Scotland only need to look to Australia to witness how at ease with itself a country becomes when it takes control of its own affairs. We don't need to swallow the lie any longer that we are a poor country. And we don't need an out of touch elite in London deciding how much of our own money we should have to spend. We just need a bit of Australian confidence."

Had this Aussie chat a lot, mainly from ex-pats living in Australia who are all behind YES.

There is a HUGE difference between the relationship between Oz and the UK and between Scotland and the rest of the UK. Even on simple geographic terms the idea that the UK had any kind of control over Oz was laughable.

But, then again, maybe we can treat our indiginous people withthe same respect that Aussies dish out to theirs...I might yet change to YES !

Geoff Kilpatrick

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/floodgates-tested-as-global-factors-push-australian-dollar-below-us90c-20140915-10gzq2.html

Both parties and the Greens are awful. Unfortunately, the shitty AV system means they win.

It'll be used to gauge seethe and organise square go's between those who feel most aggrieved.

Battle gear should consist of kilt, claymore & tunnocks tea cakes!

I think credit should go to the Mods for keeping this thread civil and dealing with out-of-order folks, like myself.

I think this thread should stay that way post Thusday, but a seperate GIRFUY thread can be opened for the blood-letting, regardless who wins.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

[deleted]

[modedit]

See by next Monday, folk will be back in the routine of having to get their kids to school, slog through a Monday morning at work, go to tesco at night and then fire through a pile or ironing before bed.

There'll be a few losers who carry on like dicks after the vote but most people will go back to their lives.

I think credit should go to the Mods for keeping this thread civil and dealing with out-of-order folks, like myself.

I think this thread should stay that way post Thusday, but a seperate GIRFUY thread can be opened for the blood-letting, regardless who wins.

:lol:

I'm sure future social historians will be fascinated to use polls and threads such these as a resource to analyse how opinions shifted/hardened and how arguments were formulated during the debate.

[modedit]

[deleted]

IN the event there will be no pagger.

Especially as the "No" voters are mainly pensioners or middle class softies like myself.

By wine-o'clock it'll be monster munch and The Real Housewives of MIami regardless

The Mighty Thor

Always wondered about this. Seems whenever a big event on the papers scream 'ALL POLICE LEAVE CANCELLED'.

I assume they aren't telling people they'll have to pull out of their two weeks in the Maldives. Does it actually mean no further holidays will be granted?

Days off are 'restricted' which means people have to take a block of days off rather than a single day.

To be fair the new force is stretched so thin that every weekend is effectively restricted.

IN the event there will be no pagger.

Especially as the "No" voters are mainly pensioners or middle class softies like myself.

By wine-o'clock it'll be monster munch and The Real Housewives of MIami regardless

There may be no paggers, but there remains a very divided country. Then two years of negotiating the terms of Independence and the EU/Currency negotiations are going to strain the relationships and friendships even further. I understand those who see this as an "opportunity", but others, like myself, see it as a sad time for Scotland and Britain.

BoJack Horseman

I'm still trying to get my head around this EU debacle. Am I right in saying that Cameron has pledged to remove the UK from the EU if he gets another term? Something that Scotland would essentially have no say in as part of the UK.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'm still trying to get my head around this EU debacle. Am I right in saying that Cameron has pledged to remove the UK from the EU if he gets another term? Something that Scotland would essentially have no say in as part of the UK.

No, he has pledged a referendum.

[modedit]

He has said there will be a referendum. And good on him for giving us one.

Salmond won't.

What is the stat? Nobody below the age of 53 has ever been given a say on our EU membership.

Of which our votes would have little to no influence?

YOur vote would carry the same weight as a billionaire financier, or a homeless street drunk.

Welcome to democracy

No, he has pledged a referendum.

Not being a pedant, but I think you'll find he has been rather cute and is pledging to hold a referendum if the Conservative Party forms a majority government. He probably knows that this may in itself be difficult and, thus, gives himself some wriggle room. To the best of my knowledge, and surprise, nobody has yet pressed him on whether he would make it a condition of forming a coalition.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Not being a pedant, but I think you'll find he has been rather cute and is pledging to hold a referendum if the Conservative Party forms a majority government. He probably knows that this may in itself be difficult and, thus, gives himself some wriggle room. To the best of my knowledge, and surprise, nobody has yet pressed him on whether he would make it a condition of forming a coalition.

It's not even that concrete. He's promising a referendum on the EU - if the EU doesn't agree to some reforms.

There will never be an EU referendum under Cameron. The Tories will bin him first.

What is the stat? Nobody below the age of 53 has ever been given a say on our EU membership.

Similarly no one under the age of 325 has been given a say on Scottish independence. Well at least until Thursday. :rolleyes2:

It's not even that concrete. He's promising a referendum on the EU - if the EU doesn't agree to some reforms.

There will never be an EU referendum under Cameron. The Tories will bin him first.

Quite probably. A double condition won't cut it. The result of the Clacton by-election- there's no knife-edge there- will certainly heap pressure on him to clarify their position prior to May.

lol Jim Sillars - Nationoalise BPs oil resources in event of Independence? What a complete and utter load of nonsense. That would destroy the whole Oil Industry overnight.

Where does the poster say this?

Similarly no one under the age of 325 has been given a say on Scottish independence. Well at least until Thursday. :rolleyes2:

Was there not one in 1979?

Was there not one in 1979?

Not on independence. A majority voted for devolution in 1979, but it was not deemed sufficient because of a threshold on voting numbers put in by Westminster.

The threshold required that 40% of the registered electorate had to vote yes.

In the event, the vote was 52% - 48% in favour of Yes, but the total of Yes votes only amounted to 33% of the electorate.

Edited by Footballfirst

Geoff Kilpatrick

Of which our votes would have little to no influence?

Your vote would have the same weight as anyone else in the UK.

Aside from that, if Scotland did leave the UK and the UK subsequently left the EU, Scotland would still be significantly impacted by that.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Not on independence. A majority voted for devolution in 1979, but it was not deemed sufficient because of a threshold on voting numbers put in by English Tories.

Wrong. The threshold was added by Labour.

Aside from that, if Scotland did leave the UK and the UK subsequently left the EU, Scotland would still be significantly impacted by that.

More so or less so than rUK were that to happen?

Geoff Kilpatrick

More so or less so than rUK were that to happen?

Again, as I mentioned above, it depends on whether the UK maintained a free trade agreement with the EU.

You sure it wasn't just Tories dressed up as Labour politicians? They are a super devious bunch you know.

Edited by jambo1185

BoJack Horseman

You know what I'm saying. Yes, we'd have a say as part of the UK, but we wouldn't have a say as a country. Votes from London alone would cancel out any Scottish votes. Working on the assumption that the Scottish people would want to stick with the EU.

Geoff Kilpatrick

You sure it wasn't just Tories dressed up as Labour?

Must have been. The SNP voted against those red Tories to bring down the Callaghan government, after all. :rolleyes:

And for good reason. To have a major constitutional issue, that impacts on the heritage of millions of people decided by a simple majority of voters is, in my view, a low hurdle to meet. Cameron may have thought it was in the bag when he agreed it, but now he sees otherwise.

Either way, on Thursday, Yes or No, he should resign. He is either the p.m. that allowed the UK to split (so resign), or the p.m. who caused massive hurt and divisiveness in Scotland (so resign).