Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

BoJack Horseman
Can't see how RBS won't shed jobs in the wake of Independence. Have they actually came out and guaranteed no job loss?

Yes.

Fair enough. Still have my doubts though.

Despite the evidence that answers your question?

All RBS will be doing is changing their registered office address at the top of their letterheads.

This whole hoo-ha about them "leaving Scotland" is just a load of pish

I think it was a case of "if you're concerned would you bloody well say so".

Why would Asda be concerned? Are people going to suddenly stop buying food in the event of independence, aye?

Can't see how RBS won't shed jobs in the wake of Independence. Have they actually came out and guaranteed no job loss?

RBS have said to their employees that no operational jobs would be moving. I'd guess the business will be registered at the RBS bishopgate beside Liverpool st instead of Edinburgh. Even after a yes vote doubtful there would be any need for such a move just another case of the BT scaremongering.

Just seen the huge protest in Spain. If things get overly rowdy there could that hinder us on a yes vote? Ive never taken the idea of a Spanish EU veto that seriously but if the situation becomes bad there they might see it as a way to take some steam out of the 'revolution'?

Edited by jambo1185

Link to anywhere with him quoting the RBS statement as scaremongering please.

Channel 4 news just quoted as him saying it was "scaremongering orchestrated by Westminster"

BBC's Robert Peston reporting that Cameron had them in this afternoon urging them to talk up price hikes after Indy. Also reporting that bankers have told him that no.10 were coordinating the banker's statements. It's on his blog and twitter account

I'm glad if he did as people need to know NOW not two years from now when it is too late.

Why?

Corporation tax is payable in the country the transaction takes place not where the HQ is.

That's incorrect. Why do Amazon etc not pay corporation tax here

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I'm glad if he did as people need to know NOW not two years from now when it is too late.

We're talking about a few pence on a packet of spaghetti, right?

Channel 4 news just quoted as him saying it was "scaremongering orchestrated by Westminster"

A different slant on it - Not quite the same as him saying that the RBS statement was scaremongering.

Meanwhile he said Mr Cameron?s office had tried to orchestrate a scare campaign by ?trying to galvanise leading business people to try to say something negative about Scotland?.

The Mighty Thor

As per my earlier posts there is no reason, other than the increase of VAT or duty, for prices to rise. The retail distribution hubs are in central Scotland and are already part of an integrated distribution network.

Suppliers already cost delivery to all distribution centres into prices.

It's a bullshit story and the fact that cameron is behind it comes as no shock.

I suspect it has more to do with the arguments being put forward. Still, two years on into this thing, to hear a reason why we are indeed "Better Together", be that from business or politicians.

Simply saying "it will all go to pot if we get Independence" is not an argument. It could equally all go to pot within the Union. I think many who are voting yes are doing so because they think it already has!

But many are yet to be convinced it will be better independent. At the end of the day nothing could change except we have gone through a massively expensive division of assets for very little change.

And there are many people here who, despite their mis-giving a on the way this country (UK) is, also accept it is doing okay for them in terms of employment, living conditions, services etc etc. it could be better but then I expect every country on the planet could be better and we accept it for what it is.

Apologies for the middle class "I'm all right (Union) Jack" attitude!

If we vote yes and Ben and Jerry's goes up in ASDA i'll hold myself responsible. :(

But many are yet to be convinced it will be better independent. At the end of the day nothing could change except we have gone through a massively expensive division of assets for very little change.

And there are many people here who, despite their mis-giving a on the way this country (UK) is, also accept it is doing okay for them in terms of employment, living conditions, services etc etc. it could be better but then I expect every country on the planet could be better and we accept it for what it is.

Apologies for the middle class "I'm all right (Union) Jack" attitude!

I don't disagree! I suspect there are more malcontents, for want of a phrase, than not though.

Lad in full Hearts away strip walking along wall on Edinburgh's Disgrace at end of BBC One News Scotland Decides lead in story. Unfortunately, only Jambos would spot it. Still, :thumbsup:

We're talking about a few pence on a packet of spaghetti, right?

We don't know do we. A few pence won't bother me at the Deli but it will matter to those on low incomes, benefits and tight budgets. I suppose we'll still have food banks for them.

We don't know do we. A few pence won't bother me at the Deli but it will matter to those on low incomes, benefits and tight budgets. I suppose we'll still have food banks for them.

We'll still have the German supermarkets, they aren't threatening to put their prices up.

I suspect also!

However this turns out, the people of Scotland are, to use a phrase, better together. I.e. We will all need to work together to make whatever the democratic result is, the best for Scotland.

They have not won the debate on currency- what they have done is turn a debate on currency into a "they are telling us Scots what we can and cannot do- I told you- BAD WESTMINSTER - they're picking on us again" kind of scenario.

SAdly many have swallowed that and see us as being victimised again.

Scotland loves being the plucky under dog -this is merely another portrayal of that.

Sadly we also tend to be plucky losers against the big guns

IMHO if the YES win the Scots people will lose, and many wont care as long as we lose gallantly.

Me? I hate losing.

I'd rather win dirty than be a heroic failure

BUt that is not a Scottish psyche

I wouldn't take issue with a lot of what you said.

But I have to repeat that the Yes side are winning the debate on currency. The only purpose of an election or referendum campaign is to win votes. In football terms, if you score more goals than your opponent it is irrelevant how the goals are scored.

The currency issue is winning votes for Yes - therefore under the rules of the game Yes is winning the debate on the currency issue. In fact, if I was in charge of the Yes campaign I'd be banging the drum on currency again and again in the run up to polling day.

The Mighty Thor

We'll still have the German supermarkets, they aren't threatening to put their prices up.

Until dave takes us out of Europe.

Then their prices will go up. It's the only way daves mates at asda tesco etc can complete with them

Judging from twitter, yes has won the bigbigdebate today, Galloway supposedly an embarrassment.

Not a good move by no to put him in that position.

Not looking forward to seeing it now.

Do you think Salmond came over technically better regarding currency than Darling in the first debate?

Playing with flair is for Hibs. The point of the exercise is to win.

It does not matter whether Salmond or Darling made the better technical argument. What matters is what voters think - and the currency issue switched people from No and undecided to Yes.

Not enough No kids for big debate , link not working

but hearing kids have been asked to pretend that they support the no side as not enough no supporters .

Most are telling the TV folk to get lost .

The daughter has just got in and said it's not true. The kids were selected before they went so it was even. 200 yes, 200 No and 100 undecided. Around 8000 were in the crowd but were told to remain silent.

Uly I would have thought it would turn yes and undecideds to No.

Stuart, there is no point in trying to discuss currency with him, he refuses to accept that Salmond does not have a clue about what is going to happen.

The daughter has just got in and said it's not true. The kids were selected before they went so it was even. 200 yes, 200 No and 100 undecided. Around 8000 were in the crowd but were told to remain silent.

What was her judgement of how it went? Yes are more vocal on twitter but then that is to be expected.

Uly I would have thought it would turn yes and undecideds to No.

You would have thought that.

I would have thought that.

But the fact is that it didn't.

It doesn't matter what you think, or what I think. It matters what voters think. If you use a debate to win voters over to your side then you have won the debate - even if you talked complete shite to achieve it. That's the first and last rule of elections. If you think it isn't, then explain why it isn't. But don't deal in what you think voters should do; deal in what voters actually do.

Stuart, there is no point in trying to discuss currency with him, he refuses to accept that Salmond does not have a clue about what is going to happen.

The point is not about currency policy or even the implications of currency policy but about the reactions of people to the debate on currency.

In my opinion all of currency union, sterlingisation and the euro are awful currency options for an independent Scotland. But since these things were debated the polls have shifted to yes.

I am well aware that the Yes campaign have no idea what will happen. My point - which you keep missing - is that if Yes win they don't care what happens. The objective of an election or referendum campaign is to persuade people to vote your way, full stop. The currency debate has delivered voters to the Yes side - so they're winning that debate.

In a vote like this you don't have to be right to win - and being right is small consolation if you lose.

What was her judgement of how it went? Yes are more vocal on twitter but then that is to be expected.

She said that Nicola Sturgeon was going with the be patriotic, this is our one chance, team Scotland type thing but didn't really answer much and she felt No gave better answers.

She was drafted in at the last minute as someone at her school had pulled out and although she was swaying towards yes she can see both sides and had a very open mind. Came out 100% in the NO camp and actually did comment that the YES side were a lot more vocal than the NO side.

They were told to be there for 11 and filming to start about 2. Filming started after 4 and lasted less than an hour.

She said that Nicola Sturgeon was going with the be patriotic, this is our one chance, team Scotland type thing but didn't really answer much and she felt No gave better answers.

She was drafted in at the last minute as someone at her school had pulled out and although she was swaying towards yes she can see both sides and had a very open mind. Came out 100% in the NO camp and actually did comment that the YES side were a lot more vocal than the NO side.

They were told to be there for 11 and filming to start about 2. Filming started after 4 and lasted less than an hour.

Thanks, doesn't sound as bad as the vocal lot are making out then. You obviously have a daughter with her head screwed on!

Thanks, doesn't sound as bad as the vocal lot are making out then. You obviously have a daughter with her head screwed on!

:lol:

The actual debate was cut down due to them starting so late. She said it was a bit of a shambles at times and the undecided ones didnt get a chance to ask any questions.

Would be interesting to see how far the Big 4 supermarkets could raise their prices when they are having to cut prices to compete with the continued expansion of Aldi and Lidl. Wonder if anyone has asked the latter for their price intentions?

Edited by Gabriel

Geoff Kilpatrick

Would be interesting to see how far the Big 4 supermarkets could raise their prices when they are having to cur prices to compete with the continued expansion of Aldi and Lidl. Wonder if anyone has asked the latter for their price intentions?

The supermarket thing is fecking stupid. A free market will determine the prices.

The Big Debate on BBC1.

George Galloway, WTF? Is he pished?

Never mind that though, WTF is he doing there in the first place?

I heard that Sturgeon and Davidson were good and Harvie and Galloway terrible, with Harvie making some silly comment about rape.

Galloway wasnt performing for the kids in the hydro, he was performing for the 'traditional labour voter' watching at home now.

The Mighty Thor
I heard that Sturgeon and Davidson were good and Harvie and Galloway terrible, with Harvie making some silly comment about rape.

Galloway wasnt performing for the kids in the hydro, he was performing for the 'traditional labour voter' watching at home now.

Number 2 son came back saying that the guy in the hat was a tool. :)