Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Survation poll latest

No 53%

Yes 47%

No change from last survation poll.

Was due to be released tonight at 10pm but yet again it has been leaked early.

First poll carried out since the yougov yes lead poll.

The Comedian, "the best of borh worlds" comes with voting No.

A Yes vote means risk and having none of the benefit of being part of the 6th-biggest economy in the world.

What's all this Team Scotland pish Salmond is coming out with? Can't see how that is a clever move.

Im a proud supporter of Team Scotland and Team GB. The language Salmond is using is downright offensive and basically accuses no voters of not being true Scots.

This overtly nationalist rhetoric seems like as much of a last minute panic as the gruesome trio coming up north for once. It's pathetic gerrymandering to the gallery.

Edited by jambo1185

What's all this Team Scotland pish Salmond is coming out with? Can't see how that is a clever move.

It fits the narrative from them - voting No makes you anti-Scottish.

Petty and offensive

Central Belt 1874

BP has large operations in the North Sea. Standard Life have big operations in Edinburgh.

These guys are huge employers - if they are concerned the public should be too.

BP create jobs where there is oil. There is plenty oil in Scotland. They make staggering amounts of money here. They will be going nowhere.

[modedit]

It's horrendous rhetoric and insulting to the 53% of 'Team Scotland' who are tonight reported to be voting to stay part of 'Team Britain' next Thursday.

It would appear he is only going to speak in sound bites for the next 8 days.

BP create jobs where there is oil. There is plenty oil in Scotland. They make staggering amounts of money here. They will be going nowhere.

[modedit]

[modedit] what they said is clear

?As a major investor in Scotland ? now and into the future ? BP believes that the future prospects for the North Sea are best served by maintaining the existing capacity and integrity of the United Kingdom.?

Given that oil represents 15% of our economy - and BP are a major player - why is it that what they have said should not be taken seriously? Do they have an agenda? Are they scaremongering?

Think it's being a bit touchy to suggest that Salmond is implying that No voters are anti-Scottish, comes across to me that he's classing his government and the Yes campaign as Team Scotland and the No campaign as Team Westminster, if he'd called them Team Britain I could see the point but it's a bit OTT to get offended by it.

Think it's being a bit touchy to suggest that Salmond is implying that No voters are anti-Scottish, comes across to me that he's classing his government and the Yes campaign as Team Scotland and the No campaign as Team Westminster, if he'd called them Team Britain I could see the point but it's a bit OTT to get offended by it.

Why not Team Holyrood?

He chose his words. We know what he meant

I think a lot of people will be annoyed by this mate and not just people who are voting no.

Silly thing to come out with in my opinion. Sums the man up.

Central Belt 1874

Why would we care what BP thinks on this matter? It make no difference to them. They are not a political organisation. They have no say in the outcome of this referendum.

They go where there is oil, and they make a fortune from it. They are not going to leave.

A bit on mortgages here , the fear is stronger than reality in my view .

Stricter rules to lending is a good thing .

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/10/scottish-independence-create-mortgage-drought

I would encourage anyone with a mortgage to get your paperwork out and read the small print. Same goes for any workplace or private pensions, check the small print and ask yourself what guarantees are in place if the fund hits bother.

Could not disagree more.

Why not Team Holyrood?

He chose his words. We know what he meant

Because it's not just MSP's? I don't know, I just don't see why people would be offended by if tbh.

Why would we care what BP thinks on this matter? It make no difference to them. They are not a political organisation. They have no say in the outcome of this referendum.

They go where there is oil, and they make a fortune from it. They are not going to leave.

They say the future prospects of the North Sea are best served by staying in the union.

Nobody says they're a political organisation.

All I'm asking is - as oil accounts for 15% of our economy - and BP is a major player - why should we not take what they say seriously?

I'm not trying to be a dick. I just want to understand why Yes voters are perfectly happy to ignore what business and markets are saying

Edited by TheMaganator

Central Belt 1874

I would encourage anyone with a mortgage to get your paperwork out and read the small print. Same goes for any workplace or private pensions, check the small print and ask yourself what guarantees are in place if the fund hits bother.

Although your intentions are admiral in that you are looking out for whats best for you, If banks were to go ahead and start limiting mortgages or make it harder then yes there would be a drought. Then what would happen? Well like last time many companies went bust or almost bust and many people in England lost their jobs as a direct result of this. Engineering, house builders etc etc. For every potential negative that you and others on this thread have mentioned the knock on effects would be greater and would impact many may people across the rest of the rUK.

That's what Curtice was suggesting last night and it underscores his findings from the bigger, long-term attitudes survey.

If I understood what he said, there are probably more SNP voting no than Labour voting yes.

Next up, tomorrow night, is Niall Ferguson (pro-Union). I expect that will be an audience with a lot of wee blue badges. Could be interesting.

Central Belt 1874

They say the future prospects of the North Sea are best served by staying in the union.

All I'm asking is - as oil accounts for 15% of our economy - and BP is a major player - why should we not take what they say seriously?

I'm not trying to be a dick. I just want to understand why Yes voters are perfectly happy to ignore what business and markets are saying

Ok, so what are BP saying here? I don't think they are saying anything here to be honest. It's a sound bite from a pro Union company who whatever the result will just get on with it.

Ok, so what are BP saying here? I don't think they are saying anything here to be honest. It's a sound bite from a pro Union company who whatever the result will just get on with it.

They are saying that the prospects for the North Sea are best served with Scotland staying in he Union.

You've said they're not a political organisation - if they are pro-union you've got to assume its because Scotland & the North Sea remaining in the union will best serve their business. Their business is to extract oil & make money - and with that pay tax. We then use that tax.

So why shouldn't we take it seriously?

BP are entitled to an opinion but it must be taken as self interest on their part as is the same with any business advocating a position.

I'm happy to ignore markets and business opinion and vote for a political system that best represents the people and not business. Markets tend to find an equilibrium so given that, a base will be created.

Basically I'll vote for what I think is right and not be swayed, some may say blackmailed, by the vested interest of business who ultimately only care for profit, as is their prerogative.

Cardiac Rucksack

Whether there is political will for a currency union post independence or not I personally don't think English, welsh or northern Irish voters would allow it to happen. (Similar to the sort of no parachuting rangers back to the spl)

Why is salmond the face of the yes campaign when he's not the leader if the yes campaign? (Dennis canavan?)

I'm moving more towards no, mainly due to the currency issues, I think there is far too much of a risk attached.

BP are entitled to an opinion but it must be taken as self interest on their part as is the same with any business advocating a position.

I'm happy to ignore markets and business opinion and vote for a political system that best represents the people and not business. Markets tend to find an equilibrium so given that, a base will be created.

Basically I'll vote for what I think is right and not be swayed, some may say blackmailed, by the vested interest of business who ultimately only care for profit, as is their prerogative.

That's fine. I don't agree with it but I respect the position.

All I'll say is profit = tax and we'll be needing plenty of that for White Paper Scotland :)

I assume he done his usual and refused/couldn't answer any the questions put to him?

How did you guess ?!

Didn't convince the 3 undeciders in Dundee they went to straight after the interview.

That's fine. I don't agree with it but I respect the position.

All I'll say is profit = tax and we'll be needing plenty of that for White Paper Scotland :)

Indeed and there is no reason business cannot be profitable in iScot. :-)

How did you guess ?!

Didn't convince the 3 undeciders in Dundee they went to straight after the interview.

Turned it over just as you posted and heard them say that. Long way to go in this and I'm confident of it being NO 54 - 46 would be my guess.

Nobody is interested in what BP says because everyone knows they are going nowhere regardless of the votes outcome.

:D

So I am in team Westminster cos I voted no. The man is a Jambo and deserves respect for that at least but that comment just sums him up for me. That and his comparison with apartheid reported this morning are not doing him any favours at all. All going to his head!

They all think that. The closer we get to polling day the further Nationalists' masks will slip, revealing the ugly truth behind their message.

Not all Yes voters are nationalists!

So I am in team Westminster cos I voted no. The man is a Jambo and deserves respect for that at least but that comment just sums him up for me. That and his comparison with apartheid reported this morning are not doing him any favours at all. All going to his head!

They lap it up. He can do no wrong.

Actually i see now from the Survation site that the poll was taken between 26-28 August.

Sky News suggests it was 5-9 Sept but that may relate to the Daily Records own poll.

I expect you will be in the minority. The opportunity is certainly there to achieve such a system, not a Utopia as some might espouse, but something better than the current lot. However, while you might be prepared to vote for what would benefit others more than yourself, even perhaps to your personal detriment, when push comes to shove, more people will, just like corporations, allow their personal interests to dictate their decisions. The momentum outside on the streets may indeed be with the 'Yes' campaign, where people are surrounded by people, but the booth is a solitary place, where thoughts of "my mortgage (personal debt)", "my job", "my pension" "my childrens' futures" will likely crowd out any thought of those outwith and those without.

Nobody is interested in what BP says because everyone knows they are going nowhere regardless of the votes outcome.

:D

Its not correct to say the Oil Companies are going nowhwere. The majority of them have global portfolios and they choose each year where to invest. Investing in NS fields is usually low profitability for them so they rely on Gov't subsidies in the form of tax breaks for new field developments. These tax breaks will need to be funded by the Scottish Gov't, and they will be large.

As an example, the recent Peterhead Carbon Capture Project from Shell is almost totally underwritten by the UK Gov't. Scottish Gov't will need to do the same otherwise the OilCos will spend their money in other countries.

As for Alex and "Team Scotland" - its the usual sound-bites to pander to those who can't think for themselves. "Project Fear", the "Sovereign Will of the Scottish People" etc. Alex Salmond does not represent all of Scotland and as such his glib comments are out of order.

Not all Yes voters are nationalists!

They've managed to hoodwink others to their cause. Which I suspect they'll come to regret eventually.