Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Dusk_Till_Dawn

There's actually a bigger population in the county of Yorkshire than there is in the country of Scotland. I'm not sure of the point though?

Has anyone asked the people of Yorkshire if they'd like more autonomy? Perhaps they don't particularly want Westminster running their affairs?

The point was related to what you were saying about Scotland probably getting none of what's been promised if the country votes no (which, by the way, is probably what will happen. You know politicians).

If the referendum results in a no vote then I don't see why Scotland should be any more entitled to new powers than any other area of the country. If Scotland votes yes then it can have all the powers it likes

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'd like to keep using the money that's in my pocket. I've been told enough times that it's not accepted in England anyway, so I can't see how it will make a difference in the long term. If we have to switch to something else, then so be it.

Your coins aren't accepted in England? :)

I don't think it will tbh, sure there will be some of the mentalists on either side getting angry and the like but it'll be a minority. Think the majority of people will just get on with their lives.

I doubt if there will be any major issues; the Scots are not the "take to the barricades" type of people.

The People's Chimp

I'd like to keep using the money that's in my pocket. I've been told enough times that it's not accepted in England anyway, so I can't see how it will make a difference in the long term. If we have to switch to something else, then so be it.

A cabbie saying "I'm not taking that mate" - which last happened to me in about 2001 - is so far removed from the actual reality of the issues here. Which is why Salmond was so flippant about it in the debate, bringing it up, along with his Panda joke (4 times). People know about the grumpy cabbie with a chip on his shoulder and he's trying to equate a rUK which wants no truck with CU as that cab driver.

Interesting indeed.

"We know that the currency of an independent Scotland will be the pound - even Alistair Darling has conceded this - and the Scottish Government has a range of options, but favours a solution that makes continuing trade between Scotland and rUK free of transaction costs.

Such a solution is more beneficial to rUK than to Scotland because Scotland imports more from rUK than it exports. It is the one plus on rUK's balance of trade. Scotland on the other hand has a healthy balance of trade surplus."

The way that article reads, it sounds like Osborne shot himself in the foot.

Impressive twisting of logic there. Scotland relies on rUK for trade to a much greater extent than rUK does on Scotland.

BBC News has been doing a roadmap if there is a YES vote or a NO vote.

If it's No this time, look forward to it all happening again around 2020.

And the way the UK is going just now it is likely to be a landslide YES (my opinion).

It might just be better to go just now than in 5 - 7 years time.

BoJack Horseman

Fair point Geoff. My UK minted coins are indeed accepted. My Scottish issued bank notes however, not so much.

A cabbie saying "I'm not taking that mate" - which last happened to me in about 2001 - is so far removed from the actual reality of the issues here. Which is why Salmond was so flippant about it in the debate, bringing it up, along with his Panda joke (4 times). People know about the grumpy cabbie with a chip on his shoulder and he's trying to equate a rUK which wants no truck with CU as that cab driver.

My Clydesdale ?20 was refused in a Cineworld cinema just outside London in about 2008. It still gives me nightmares.

Statement from Standard Life: (apologies if posted)

http://www.standardlife.com/utility/customer_statement-2.html

I think Prudential might already have said something similar.

An interesting one to watch would be the Strathclyde Pension Fund - one of the biggest and probably one of the best run pension funds in public sector (assets of circa ?14bn). I expect there is a fiduciary duty to look after the best interests of its members. A quick scan of its main shareholdings doesn't reveal much investment in Scottish companies but it is interesting to see Microsoft, Apple and Nintendo in there!

I doubt it would or could move south but next year's annual report will be interesting if there is a Yes vote.

Ron, could you ever see Canada adopting the US dollar rather than the loonie?

Geoff, it's so improbable that it has never been discussed. And because it hasn't been discussed, I've no idea of the pros and cons to such an arrangement. Public sentiment in Canada would be strongly opposed, if that means anything.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Fair point Geoff. My UK minted coins are indeed accepted. My Scottish issued bank notes however, not so much.

My Clydesdale ?20 was refused in a Cineworld cinema just outside London in about 2008. It still gives me nightmares.

In fairness, the Clydesdale seems to devote themselves to making the most ludicrous banknotes in history.

It's not a proper bank anyway.

Was listening to the Jeremy Vine show due to it being between Ken Bruce and Steve wright. What a stirring prick that guy is. His phone in was about the views of other UK (non voting) people on the referendum. He got a Welsh guy on that stated good luck to the Scots as everyone in the world hates the English. Then he got some northern English guy who said "Scots" should "get slung out of the UK and don't think you're getting the oil, we're keeping it".

No need for it. He went fishing for extreme views and you'll always get a nutter or two. I know it's his job to be controversial but that was just moronic.

Loads of my ?1 coins aren't accepted at Tesco self service tills. (I've heard anything from 10 - 40% in circulation at any moment in times are fake)

It's LRT I feel sorry for who eventually get them.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff, it's so improbable that it has never been discussed. And because it hasn't been discussed, I've no idea of the pros and cons to such an arrangement. Public sentiment in Canada would be strongly opposed, if that means anything.

Quite. So why would the UK accept Alex Salmond's desire to share sterling?

skinnybob72 - how long do you think you'll be working there if there is a Yes vote?

What do you think will happen to financial services jobs following a yes vote?

Guest GhostHunter

You think that's bad - when I used to live daan saaf, I remember vividly going into a corner shop to buy odds and ends...had no dosh and their switch machine was broken, so I went to the cash machine, INSIDE the shop, and took out ?20...

Machine only went and gave me a scottish bank note, which the grocer promptly refused to accept, even though he stood and watched me take it out his machine.

As I was feeling fragile from the Saturday night before, I went home with my tail between my legs.

AND NO ******* IRN-BRU.

Gah - I hate greengrocers.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

mails.jpg

The second piece is by Simon Heffer who, in all honesty, has never visited the real world or mingled with people below the top-rate tax band.

So the big 3 (???????) have worked out how to punch "Scotland" into their Sat Nav's. What happened to theit buddy Nigel's invite? After all, he represents more of the grass roots English opinion than any of them?

ToadKiller Dog

So the big 3 (???????) have worked out how to punch "Scotland" into their Sat Nav's. What happened to theit buddy Nigel's invite? After all, he represents more of the grass roots English opinion than any of them?

Farage is up Friday and if he doesn't convince you , then we have a load of tango men coming over from Northern Ireland to ask us to stay in the Union by marching up and down the streets of the Capital

Geoff Kilpatrick

The second piece is by Simon Heffer who, in all honesty, has never visited the real world or mingled with people below the top-rate tax band.

:lol:

There we go then...

"?As a major investor in Scotland ? now and into the future ? BP believes that the future prospects for the North Sea are best served by maintaining the existing capacity and integrity of the United Kingdom.?

Edited by heartsfc_fan

So i cant believe that Better Together have been so naive to think that less that with 8 days to go that a combination of The Prime Minister/Deputy Prime MInister and LEader of the Opposition will sway the undecided.

They should have been 'campaigning' for better together for over a year now.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

So i cant believe that Better Together have been so naive to think that less that with 8 days to go that a combination of The Prime Minister/Deputy Prime MInister and LEader of the Opposition will sway the undecided.

Well, at least they've left it until the stage where people actually care.

A year ago I'd have flicked over the telly and watched The Cube Celebrity Special instead.

v8h6oy.jpg

Edited by Brandt

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Sending the three party leaders to Scotland is like trying to convince a lover to take you back by reminding them that you shit the bed.

The Mighty Thor

The point was related to what you were saying about Scotland probably getting none of what's been promised if the country votes no (which, by the way, is probably what will happen. You know politicians).

If the referendum results in a no vote then I don't see why Scotland should be any more entitled to new powers than any other area of the country. If Scotland votes yes then it can have all the powers it likes

That's not what you're getting voting no though is it? You're getting new (as yet unquantified) powers whether you voted for them or not.

The Mighty Thor

There we go then...

"?As a major investor in Scotland ? now and into the future ? BP believes that the future prospects for the North Sea are best served by maintaining the existing capacity and integrity of the United Kingdom.?

'As a large business in the UK we feel our profit margins are best served by the huge amounts of cash we pump into the conservative party coffers.' What Sir Ian Wood really wanted to say.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

That's not what you're getting voting no though is it? You're getting new (as yet unquantified) powers whether you voted for them or not.

You think? I reckon the plans will be dumped in a filing cabinet six miles below Westminster as the government concentrates on other things.

The Mighty Thor

You think? I reckon the plans will be dumped in a filing cabinet six miles below Westminster as the government concentrates on other things.

What? You mean they're lying to me? :o

Well, at least they've left it until the stage where people actually care.

A year ago I'd have flicked over the telly and watched The Cube Celebrity Special instead.

Seems a bit late and half arsed in my opinion. The polls are neck in neck.. Quick up to Scotland. As if they dont actually care.

Seems a bit late and half arsed in my opinion. The polls are neck in neck.. Quick up to Scotland. As if they dont actually care.

I would wager that they had been told to stay away like BT.

And no wonder - Salmond has said its now 'Team Scotland vs Team Westminster' :facepalm: Aye, Salmond, you speak for the whole of Scotland, right enough

Why is it every piece of news in favour of No is treated as scaremongering?

Because that is the answer when the Yes camp dont like the question.

'As a large business in the UK we feel our profit margins are best served by the huge amounts of cash we pump into the conservative party coffers.' What Sir Ian Wood really wanted to say.

But that's not what he really said.

I hope voters rely on facts rather than comments like the above.

Because some of it in the past has been shown to be unreliable?

And because people who don't agree with it will say that it is!

1. Guarded border controls

2. ?25bn to decommission Faslane v. ?2.5bn it is really

3. ?2.5bn to update all the computer systems which will need upgraded anyway - incrementally change was ?200m

4. Alluding that Scotland are subsidy junkies - There is a move in England to reduce block grant by ?6bn

5. Queen will publicly come out against Independence.

6. Scotland will be at threat of war and be a terrorist haven.

The list goes on and on.

Now these have't all come from the formal No campaign but have been reported one way or another across media outlets, that are primarily in the No camp.

Douglas Alexander said that Alex Salmond will tell us anything to get a Yes vote. And do you know what I agree with Douglas Alexander.

But don't anyone kid us on that No are being entirely thruthful either.

But that's not what he really said.

I hope voters rely on facts rather than comments like the above.

What he did say is that, in the opinion of BP, the best option for North Sea Oil is to remain in the UK.

Why would anyone base their vote on what is good for BP? He doesn't say that it would be good for the Scots people or the economy, just that in that company's opinion it would be better.

The only people who allow that sort of statement to influence their vote are those that feel that BP being unhappy may be a negative for Scotland (which I might add, he doesn't say, he says their will be continued spending in Scotland). As such, when used as a feather in the cap of BT, it is nothing more than scaremongering.