The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

My son's a Jambo

Interesting article in the Herald by Roger Mitchell, former CE of SPL.

Useful reading for any SFL chairman considering believing a single word that Dongcaster says about the promised future restructuring.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/the-spl-died-the-day-of-that-vote-as-the-10-posed-smiling-on-the-steps-of-hampden-no-amount-of-spin-could-recover

"I was also told that the best solution for everyone was to "forget" that promise on expansion to 12, and stay at 10 by paying the SFL some extra "**** off" money. Still naive, I suggested to my board that this course of action would destroy any claim to the moral high ground of the fledgling league. I pointed out that I had joined an organisation that had lobbied for a year that the old administrators were dinosaurs, inefficient, and not able to move with the times, and that the SPL would bring professionalism, accountability, transparency, and modern business values."

Edited by My son's a Jambo

jamboboetjie

From twitter 2 minutes ago.

Liam McLeod?@BBCLiamMcLeod

#Dunfermline chairman John Yorkston tells @bbcgms not to rule out a #Rangers newco getting into SPL if SFL vote them into 3rd Division

Will they go against all their members wishes and still put sevco 2012 into the SPL?

What a day, or week this is going to be.

post-11170-0-67129600-1342161905_thumb.jpg

Geoff Kilpatrick

#Dunfermline chairman John Yorkston tells @bbcgms not to rule out a #Rangers newco getting into SPL if SFL vote them into 3rd Division

Will they go against all their members wishes and still put sevco 2012 into the SPL?

Theoretically, Yorkston is correct.

In practice, an 11 team SPL is more likely with no Sevco FC at all!

My son's a Jambo

I think that Big Yorkie said that to encourage SPL fans not to take their eye off the ball before Monday.

Good man, Big Yorkie.

Jambof3tornado

I think that Big Yorkie said that to encourage SPL fans not to take their eye off the ball before Monday.

Good man, Big Yorkie.

That would be the spl that already said naw!!!

troonmaroon

Tbh, I've been wondering about this... It's the only reason I can think of for the spl not yet inviting someone from sfl1... Let them try it.

Agree with other poster we might well end up with 11 and no newco anywhere this season. Presumably though with plan to foist them into an expanded league next season. Let them try that too. I won't have made the mistake of buying my season ticket so fast (darn 'dynamic pricing' lol) next year...

ToadKiller Dog

That would really be the end if any of the chancers attempted to do that .

Dusk_Till_Dawn

That would really be the end if any of the chancers attempted to do that .

The shitstorm would be unreal.

I still don't understand why Doncaster and Regan are effectively committing professional suicide for the sake of RFC. Why open yourself to so much contempt and ridicule?

Carl Spackler

Interesting article in the Herald by Roger Mitchell, former CE of SPL.

Useful reading for any SFL chairman considering believing a single word that Dongcaster says about the promised future restructuring.

http://www.heraldsco...n-could-recover

That's a really interesting article.

I always liked Alloa.

I always liked Alloa, Clyde, Raith, Stranraer...and many other SFL clubs. :)

Not Brechin though, always avoided that cesspool of a place.

I think he is teasing... but there would be some carnage if this does happen. whistling.gif

So, here it is, the day of reckoning.

What happens in the next 17 hours will probably have a lasting effect for many years to come. Assuming (and that is always dangerous in scottish football) that a decision is made today, one of 3 options will happen.

Option 1 - Rangers in SFL1 - Mass protests/boycotts etc. Very dangerous move

Option 2 - Rangers in SFL3 - I believe this to be most likely

Option 3 - Rangers not in SFL. - Least likely.

For me, if option 1 or 2 come to pass, then Im done with Scottish Football. I will not see another domestic game again unless there is massive change in the game.

Option 3 is the only one that maintains sporting integrity (ie going by the rules).

Even at this late stage Green has refused point blank to show his hand and he will get into Scottish football. It is amazing.

Toxteth O'Grady

The shitstorm would be unreal.

I still don't understand why Doncaster and Regan are effectively committing professional suicide for the sake of RFC. Why open yourself to so much contempt and ridicule

Yep they've burnt their bridges and will surely be gone soon.

Are they Stupid? Out of touch? Corrupt?

At least 2 of these I'd say.

Harry Palmer

Ayr statement..

http://www.ayrunitedfc.co.uk/news.asp?int_news_id=3006

Chairman?s Blog

13/07/2012

Chairman?s Blog

Well, the last few weeks have been interesting. We have had The SPL vote in a sham of a meeting that due to ?sporting integrity? they were going to evict Newco Rangers from the SPL. All the while, they knew fine well that voting to allow them to stay wasn?t going to be allowed to happen and have since passed the buck and laid their problem at the SFL?s door.

Since that point, they have applied considerable pressure threatening the loss of all of our income and emotional blackmail about football collapsing and it being all the SFL?s fault. To be honest, it?s not surprising based on past dealings with the SPL, but here we are and what do we do?

Today?s vote is monumental in the history of Scottish football and it?s not without a great deal of stress and debate amongst our board and input from shareholders, season ticket holders and supporters that we have come up with our votes for the three agenda items placed before our one representative at today?s meeting.

We will vote yes to allowing Newco Rangers into the SFL as an associate member and agree to permit Rangers F.C. to play in the league 2012/13. The logic behind this is that they have the facilities and fan base that the league is looking for. The fact that it could go against the rule book is a question for the SFL and not us.

We will vote no on the agenda item that allows Rangers into the 3rd division, but 1st division if the SFL board agree terms with the SPL and SFA on measures ?improving? the game. Our representative has been instructed that if the agenda item is altered to allow Rangers into the 3rd division full stop, that we will vote yes, but not on any agenda item that allows Rangers into the 1st.

Finally, we will vote yes to allow either Dunfermline or Dundee to resign from the SFL and be admitted to the SPL for the upcoming season.

A lot has been said in the press etc. about what is right and wrong, but my personal opinion is that Rangers are/were one of 42 professional football clubs in Scotland and should be treated as any one of the 41 other clubs would be. I did not appreciate the bullying and threats that have come from above and part of the problem in our professional game is the unbalanced structure. By the way, I have started writing from my point of view because that is exactly what it is. It is not necessarily the view of Ayr United FC.

I don?t think anyone believes that if it were any other SPL Club besides Celtic that there would be anywhere near this level of pressure etc. and it is partly because of this that we have voted the way we have.

If Rangers do end up voted into the 3rd division, it is likely that an SPL2 will be attempted. So, just for the record (and I hope the sarcasm is clear) the body that is doing such a sterling job of running the top league in our country is going to further try to decimate the SFL by setting up another league and forcing the teams left behind to grovel for crumbs.

I hope that whatever decision is taken tomorrow will be allowed to stand without interference or lawsuits etc., and we will accept any decision either way by the democratic process set up by the SFL. We may not agree with the outcome, but if it is made by the SFL by a transparent vote, then I am satisfied.

I would like to say that I think David Longmuir and the SFL board have been stitched up here, but they have handled themselves well under the circumstances. I sat on that board for a few years and I know for a fact that David, and all of the others who make up the board from the various clubs in Scotland are supporters of the game and believe in the integrity of the game itself. He has been put under unbelievable public pressure and although some press have tried to bundle him in with the other two, he will do what is the right thing by going with the wishes of the 30 clubs that make up the SFL.

Finally, and this is important. If our wishes come true and Rangers do enter the SFL in the 3rd division, we will be under immediate financial pressure as we will automatically lose over 60k immediately. That 60k is already spent in this years playing budget.

Ayr United will not make it through the season if we don?t find a way to make up that loss. So, we have decided to vote based on what is right, but meanwhile are aware that it has the possibility of collapsing us as a club. That is where all of you who have written, called and emailed the club can help by purchasing season tickets, encouraging people to attend matches and sponsoring your club in all the various ways possible.

I have appreciated all of the correspondence that we have received from our supporters. (I could have done without the hundreds of emails from supporters of other clubs) and we have taken your views into account when making our decision. It?s a huge financial risk for us, but I personally think that if we are to make it through this season in tact that it is better standing for what is right than selling our souls and the integrity of the game to appease those at the top who have already done their best to dismantle the game since 1998. I?m a big Scotland supporter and I don?t think it?s a coincidence that we haven?t been to a major finals since the SPL was formed.

Hopefully tomorrow?s vote is binding and there is no monkey business that further tarnishes all of us in the sport, and I like most that I have heard from hope it?s the right one.

Lachlan Cameron

Apologies if already blah blah blah etc etc...

yvonnejambo

Archie MacPherson saying we should fold some of the smaller clubs in Scotland.

Get rid of the dead wood.

Stupid old buffoon.

As long as Rangers are alright.

Only dead wood I can see is him and rangers

Ayr statement..

Excellent statement.

I think that the vote today should be 1) to allow Dundee to resign and join the SPL 2) to allow Dunfermline to resign and join the SPL 3) to up the 2nd team in the lower divisions a division 4) to advertise the place at the bottom of the SFL for any interested teams.

But the chairmen are clearly seeing through the tripe of the 'reorganisation' anyway and are going to vote the right way with today's flawed motions. :thumb:

ToadKiller Dog

I still don't understand why Doncaster and Regan are effectively committing professional suicide for the sake of RFC. Why open yourself to so much contempt and ridicule?

Tried to fathom it out myself and nothing seems right whatever way you look at it .

The only thing that comes close is thinking what politicians when caught out often do keep digging and denying until they have no other choice but we must be near or past that point .

I always liked Alloa, Clyde, Raith, Stranraer...and many other SFL clubs. :)

Not Brechin though, always avoided that cesspool of a place.

Oh, and Ayr Utd of course, my favourite Ayrshire team. :thumbsup:

Ayr statement..

http://www.ayrunitedfc.co.uk/news.asp?int_news_id=3006

So SPL 2 raises its ugly head again.

You know they'd have to get moving pretty quick with that. They might even need to work on it over the weekend to have a proposal ready for Monday's SPL meeting.

Surprising turn of events that...

Seriously though, this has become, I think, the biggest day in Scottish Football history, bar none.

I hope that the SFL clubs do the right thing for sport, not money.

If they do, as per the Ayr chairman's statement, they will be struggling.

If justice is done hopefully SPL fans, having renewed their own season ticket of course, will make the effort to attend one or two of their local SFL clubs games when their team is away in trying to address the shortfall created through no fault of their own.

If justice is done and Sky and/or ESPN seek to renegotiate their deals, let's hope some practical co-ordinated action can be taken by the fans against them too.

This is our last chance to take the game back, it's a long time since we had such influence, let's make the most of it.

:)

Edited by Pistol1874

Morning people.

Today is going to be a great day.

Was taking my 4 year old daughter to nursery this morning when she began singing 'tonight's gonna be a good good night', after I had set aside my utter disgust for her singing The Black Eyed Peas in my presence, I thought about what's happening today and wondered if she was like Paul the psychic octopus and could predict the future??

If she is correct, then I'm letting her choose my euro millions numbers tonight! :thumbsup:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Tried to fathom it out myself and nothing seems right whatever way you look at it .

The only thing that comes close is thinking what politicians when caught out often do keep digging and denying until they have no other choice but we must be near or past that point .

Initially I'm sure they believed that Rangers would be able to remain in the SPL because this is Scotland and when it comes to the SPL/SFA, they do what they want.

But it was plain to see the tide turning against RFC and there was an obvious point at which to jump ship. Instead, they've attempted to bend rules, threaten smaller clubs and basically do anything necessary to keep Rangers in business for the long term. Maybe they thought the smaller clubs would be too feeble to publicise the "threats and bribes". Instead, they've been exposed as incompetent bullies with an agenda at odds with most clubs, not to mention the country. I just can't understand why they're continuing with their crusade.

Jam Tarts 1874

I keep reading incorrect comments relating to SFL clubs voting for Sevco 5088 to go into SFL3. This is not one of the options available to the SFL clubs today, it is either SFL1 or nothing.

It is better standing for what is right than selling our souls and the integrity of the game to appease those at the top

Get in there Ayr

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I keep reading incorrect comments relating to SFL clubs voting for Sevco 5088 to go into SFL3. This is not one of the options available to the SFL clubs today, it is either SFL1 or nothing.

But the evidence of this whole process tells you that when entry into SFL1 is rejected, an "er, what about SFL3" option will be invented in the blink of an eye.

For what it's worth, Rangers in SFL3 would do for me. This is only my opinion but it would be in the game's best interests to see them return to a reformed top flight somewhere down the line. What none of us want is them returning to the SPL with the status quo unaltered and everything in their favour. Scottish football is a joke at the moment.

Strictly speaking they would vote them into Dov 3 under the 2nd resolution but then the board would have the absolute right to amend that to Div 1 if they get what they consider necessary changes.

Of course, as most of those necessary changes are already published on the SFA website and we've now seen the rest, in reality you are correct.

kingantti1874

spl2 rangers vs stenhousenuir 36 times....nothing the spl can do if the SFL clubs stick together...I applaud the stance of the SFL clubs on this...but anyone who defect to a spl 2 and screw their fellow clubs must be dealt with severely

Jam Tarts 1874

But the evidence of this whole process tells you that when entry into SFL1 is rejected, an "er, what about SFL3" option will be invented in the blink of an eye.

For what it's worth, Rangers in SFL3 would do for me. This is only my opinion but it would be in the game's best interests to see them return to a reformed top flight somewhere down the line. What none of us want is them returning to the SPL with the status quo unaltered and everything in their favour. Scottish football is a joke at the moment.

No, the SFL rules would require another proposal and another meeting.

I think he is teasing... but there would be some carnage if this does happen. whistling.gif

It would not surprise me though. Is that why they are waiting until Mobday to announce it? They will come out with it is too late to change the fixtures nonsense.

Jam Tarts 1874

Strictly speaking they would vote them into Dov 3 under the 2nd resolution but then the board would have the absolute right to amend that to Div 1 if they get what they consider necessary changes.

Of course, as most of those necessary changes are already published on the SFA website and we've now seen the rest, in reality you are correct.

No, the 2nd resolution is pretty clear, it's a vote for SFL1.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It would not surprise me though. Is that why they are waiting until Mobday to announce it? They will come out with it is too late to change the fixtures nonsense.

Mobday is exactly what it would turn in to.

In practical terms yes, but unless it has changed, the clubs are voting for Div 3 but giving the SFL board the power to make it Div 1 at their discretion.

Technically, I believe it's Sevco (Scotland). I'm sure this was all explained in turgid detail yesterday.

Edited by davieholt

Stuart Lyon

Mitchell's statement about the SPL actively helping Rangers and Celtic to move south is astonishing. How could we have lived without them?

I P Knightley

Tbh, I've been wondering about this... It's the only reason I can think of for the spl not yet inviting someone from sfl1... Let them try it.

Agree with other poster we might well end up with 11 and no newco anywhere this season. Presumably though with plan to foist them into an expanded league next season. Let them try that too. I won't have made the mistake of buying my season ticket so fast (darn 'dynamic pricing' lol) next year...

There's another reason that may not have crossed your mind: that's that they are witless buffoons.

depending on todays vote, the SPL clubs will play their fixtures without oldco. their attendances will rise. The SFL teams, who've been amazing in honesty, will see their attendances rise - fans will be able to enjoy their games, knowing there is now the opportunity for Real competition and Honours will be won Fairly.

What a breath of fresh air. Over to you, SFL Chairmen.....

Takeshi's Tynecastle

Another great statement from an SFL club/chairman.

But can someone explain why he says if newco goes into div 3, Ayr will immediately lose ?60k?

Is this the withholding of SPL compensation money to SFL - I thought that had been exposed as an(other) false threat?

Francis Albert

But can someone explain why he says if newco goes into div 3, Ayr will immediately lose ?60k?

Is this the withholding of SPL compensation money to SFL - I thought that had been exposed as an(other) false threat?

That's all I can think of. And yes it was another empty threat by Doncaster and Regan. The payment is a contractual obligation.

(That the threat was made however just makes the idea of agreeing to Rangers in SFL1 on the basis a non-binding heads of terms on reconstruction all the more ludicrous).

Think they are wrong to vote yes to the first item however, unless the Board explicitly agree that the entry point is SFL3.

Edited by Francis Albert

WeeToonJambo
I P Knightley

The 2nd resolution is deliberately unclear but has, in my view correctly, been interpreted the way you put it: "Vote for SFL3 but don't be surprised if we fudge a route into SFL1".

Now, with votes of no confidence looming over them, is there a chance that Regan and Doncaster turn that resolution on its head and say that after listening to the views of the majority of SFL clubs, on top of the overwhelming result from the SPL clubs, they'll go the democratic way and see The Ibrox Club in SFL3?

There's now nothing in this saga that could surprise me and that outcome would be the most blatant self-serving, hypocritical twaddle imaginable; so there's a very good chance of it happening.

The alternative is that the Ibrox mafia have their claws so deep into Regan and Doncaster that they will brazen it out and shoehorn The Ibrox Club into SFL1 citing the avoidance of certain armageddon. They get their marching orders from the SFA and SPL but walk into any one of a number of cushy jobs facilitated by the men with funny handshakes.

Francis Albert

Of course it would, and there would be another meeting next week. The SFL clubs should vote No to everything until they get an explicit proposal for entry at SFL3. Voting yes to the first proposal still leaves the entry level open and just possibly enough wriggle room for the snakes.

I P Knightley

I think it's opportunity cost - forgoing the bribe that has been offered.

Scratch that - he wrote that it was an amount that they had budgeted for so, I assume, would have been longer standing. More likely the alimony from the SPL that Doncaster said he would (illegally) withhold.

Edited by I P Knightley

• Maple Leaf locked this topic