******The Official Six Nations Thread ******

Harry Palmer

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

You have to laugh at how bad Scotland are.

It's like we don't want to ever score a try.

Edit - should have been given.

Now we have one :yas:

So are you saying that Robinson is a good coach?

Yes, IMHO.

However he isn't a magician and can only piss with the ****** he's got.

We just aren't as good as Welsh, Irish, English or French.

Wales going for 3 points, surely they don't think we're going to score 14 points in the last 10 minutes.

That's what international rugby is about - making the right decisions to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

The Mighty Thor

Yes, IMHO.

Robinson can however do two things.

stop showing a ridiculous loyalty to players who are clearly past it, as with Dan Parks.

Get Gregor Townsend away tae ****. He was a shite-bag under-achiever as a player and since we've taken him on as backs coach we've looked clueless.

Other than that he's doing a decent job with limited resources.

Yes, IMHO.

Ok I'll go with that.

Disappointed with the result today. Thought the pack were outstanding though with particular praise for Rennie and Denton. I really believe we are on the cusp of having a very good Scotland side and just need to cut out the simple, needless mistakes at crucial stages.

Stuart Hogg looked very lively when he came on and think he has probably played his way into the team. Personally I would have him at 13 instead of De Luca (who i dont think is quite good enough for international rugby). Hogg possesses good feet and may be the answer to unlock some defences. For a first start, i also thought Laidlaw had a pretty decent game. Yes, he missed the one on one tackle but he is definately a step forward from Parks.

I think Robinson as a coach is still doing a good job with the tools at his disposal. Genuinely beleive these are the best guys we have got and if they cut out the individual, silly errors that we will become a competitive rugby team!

Robinson can however do two things.

stop showing a ridiculous loyalty to players who are clearly past it, as with Dan Parks.

Get Gregor Townsend away tae ****. He was a shite-bag under-achiever as a player and since we've taken him on as backs coach we've looked clueless.

Other than that he's doing a decent job with limited resources.

:interesting:

Gregor Townsend:

Scotland cap (82) and captain - 5 nations winner 1999

Gregor_Townsend_1238251c.jpg

Gregor Townsend Lions test cap (2) on the last victorious Lions tour:

Townsend.jpg

Played at the top level in France, England and Scotland at club level....oh and let's not forget his stint in the Super 12:

gregor-2.jpg

I wish I had under-achieved like Townsend...

:Vlad-Stupid:

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

Scotland's poor disapline was born out of sheer frustration at the referee's failure to control the tackle situation. From the very first moment the welsh players fell and rolled into positions to slow the ball down. Hands in rucks were also terrible. 87mins went by until he binned a Welshman for it. Don't even get me started on Hogg's "try"!! TMO anyone?

Saying that, we had the chance to score at the end I the first half by the Fat Plumber lost his composure, Wales on the other hand took time and took the opportunities.

Finally, how many times did we make them throw to their struggling lineout in their own 22?? An opportunity to build pressure missed.

So frustrated by this afternoons game

The Mighty Thor

Gregor Townsend:

Townsend.jpg

Played at the top level in France, England and Scotland at club level....oh and let's not forget his stint in the Super 12:

gregor-2.jpg

Wikipedia is always your friend. thumbsup.gif

Scotland were never threatening when Townsend played at number 10 as he was never able to instigate the running game, so they tried him at centre where he could barely break the gain line and then laughably at full back where he was spectacularly out his depth.

He'll forever be remembered for his pass to big Gav but that's about it.

He was never the player Craig Chalmers was IMO

Scotland were never threatening when Townsend played at number 10 as he was never able to instigate the running game, so they tried him at centre where he could barely break the gain line and then laughably at full back where he was spectacularly out his depth.

Employed as the attack coach of a faultering attacking force. I think he has to go.

What has he done in coaching before getting a Scotland job?

Referee was a cheat. Sin bins killed it. Should be investigated.

He didn't have the best of games, but the sin bins were spot on, never game him any option.

Really annoyed me that we didn't kick to touch more. I know in recent years it's become more fashionable to kick the ball infield and make the other team counter-attack or kick out themselves, but the state of the Welsh lineout and how far superior ours is (one of the few areas where we had the edge) should have made going for the lineout whenever possible a tactic. Wales lost 2 out of their first 3 throw-ins, but still we kicked the ball down the throat of their back 3 instead of putting it out in their 22 and putting pressure on the throw.

1999 Five Nations Championship.

Townsend playing stand-off for Scotland.

Scotland win the tournament, scoring a record number of tries which ultimately wins them the title on points difference.

Townsend becomes only the 5th player to ever score a try against every other team, and the last man to do so.

In other words, don't talk pish.

As for today, 3 major mistakes cost us the game today. A complete ****** up from the kick-off in the 2nd half that Wales eventually score from. Both yellow cards were undoubtedly deserved, but no mention of two knock-on by Wales in the lead up to either incident that the ref missed.

The ref had an absolute shocker today. They go to the video ref for completely pointless incidents that everyone knows is a try, but called that one wrong from 20 yards away. Didn't affect the result but it was still ridiculous. Wales were reffing the game by the end, I heard Wlesh voices shouting "hands off blue" and "roll away blue" when Scotland were correctly competing for the ball. All in all, barring 20 minutes when we were a man short I was actually quite happy with the performance. It would have been much, much closer if there had been 15 men on the pitch for both sides which if the ref had picked up on the knock-ons there would have been.

"The ref had an absolute shocker today. They go to the video ref for completely pointless incidents that everyone knows is a try, but called that one wrong from 20 yards away. Didn't affect the result but it was still ridiculous. Wales were reffing the game by the end, I heard Wlesh voices shouting "hands off blue" and "roll away blue" when Scotland were correctly competing for the ball. All in all, barring 20 minutes when we were a man short I was actually quite happy with the performance. It would have been much, much closer if there had been 15 men on the pitch for both sides which if the ref had picked up on the knock-ons there would have been."

Agree the referee was poor! What annoyed me was the Welsh being allowed to cheat at the breakdown. The amount of times you had the ref going "hands off red" was ridiculous! Please just give us the penalty!!!! They slowed down our ball all day and the ref let them away with it!

The Old Tolbooth

Gregor Townsend:

Townsend.jpg

gregor-2.jpg

Very much this, decent lad too.

Or just knowing something about Rugby...still though you have to be pretty poor to have played for the Lions right enough :thumbsup:

Employed as the attack coach of a faultering attacking force. I think he has to go.

What has he done in coaching before getting a Scotland job?

Attack coach Gregor Townsend will leave Scotland's coaching staff, joining Graham Steadman in departing Andy Robinson's backroom staff. (Herald)

Attack coach Gregor Townsend will leave Scotland's coaching staff, joining Graham Steadman in departing Andy Robinson's backroom staff. (Herald)

Does that make me ITK :whistling:

Carl Spackler

My link

Gatland pretty much a shoe in for the Lions role following this I would imagine.

He's been a pretty outstanding coach. Better than Henry was anyway!

The Mighty Thor

:jbsmug:

• 2 weeks later...

Good match between Ireland and Italy just now. Unfortunately for us, I don't see us beating Italy.

Sergios Parisse had his try converted to make it 10-10. He's in my fantasy team :pleasing:

Edit: Tommy Bowe just scored for Ireland. Also in my fantasy team :pleasing: :pleasing:

Well done to Wales.

Intense match and really did go down to the wire with Wales scoring a try with 5mins to go and a try review at the very end for England that would have gave them a chance at drawing the match.

FT: England 12-19 Wales

As for tomorrow, France will destroy Scotland unfortunately. The Wooden Spoon awaits us I'm afraid. :down:

From the BBC website

Wales seized their 20th Triple Crown in dramatic fashion after a hugely controversial ending to a gripping contest at Twickenham.

What was controversial? He never grounded the ball, even bell end Brian Moore agreed. :angry:

The front of the Independent today says "disallowed late try hands triple crown to wales"

And in the commentary it seemed they were just looking for the ball to have touched the ground. Whatever happened to applying downward pressure? There was no way it would ever have been a legitimite try as he had his arm under the ball.

I thought it was inconclusive. No clear way to say if it was or wasn't.

I thought it touch the ground, and he definitely had his hand around the ball, question is was it on or over the line when it touched the ground? I thought it was just short.

However, I always thought the rule was you gave the attacking side the benefit of the doubt? I don't agree with that, but I thought that was the rule.

The White Cockade

it was nowhere near as controversial as the two tries Scotland have had turned down so far

but it was England so the media will make that the only reason they lost

England have been dire this season and we should have beaten them but we were even more dire

in a real dire-fest of a match

Hopefully we can get it together today and give the French a game but not if we make the ridiculous

number of unforced errors that we have become used to

Archived