******The Official Six Nations Thread ******

Harry Palmer

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson

I wouldn't have anyone brought in "in place of Italy". Worth bearing in mind that France upon their admittance to this elite group took ages to establish themselves. They joined in 1910 and only really came of age in the late 40s. If you're Italian, you'd hope an improvement won't take that long in coming but given what France have achieved since they clicked into gear on the rugby stage, it is worth persevering with Italy. The resources and amount of registered players (which dwarfs Scotland) suggest that they will get it right one day. Right now, they need to usher in a set of backs who are on the same level as their forwards.

Oh sure. That's what I meant when I said it takes decades for teams to establish themselves in this event. But is there really the culture necessary to underpin real progress in Italian rugby? And will there ever be?

Oh sure. That's what I meant when I said it takes decades for teams to establish themselves in this event. But is there really the culture necessary to underpin real progress in Italian rugby? And will there ever be?

What is in the Italians favour, is the massive and increasing interest in the sport in their country. The Italian national football team wouldn't have a hope in hell in selling out the Stadio Olimpico, the rugby team are seemingly doing so with ease.

Bert Le Clos

To be honest, I don't think Robinson being sacked is going to help. The standard of players he is working with is shocking.

Ewan Murray should get nowhere near a Scotland shirt again. I'm not anti-religon, but since he decided not toplay on Sunday's he been shite for Scotland. I'd much rather develop someone who can commit hemselves fully to the Scotland team.

Denny Crane

To be honest, I don't think Robinson being sacked is going to help. The standard of players he is working with is shocking.

Ewan Murray should get nowhere near a Scotland shirt again. I'm not anti-religon, but since he decided not toplay on Sunday's he been shite for Scotland. I'd much rather develop someone who can commit hemselves fully to the Scotland team.

A bit harsh. It is only the last year or so his form has gone off and his conversion to Christianity came during the 2005/6 season.

Bert Le Clos

A bit harsh. It is only the last year or so his form has gone off and his conversion to Christianity came during the 2005/6 season.

HIs conversion to Christianity yes. His decision not to play on Sundays only happened in the last year or two. And since then for me, he's not been on the pace in a blue jersey or at club level.

Taking a player supposedly meant to be your best scrummager to a World Cup then not being able to play him against Argentina just doesn't make sense to me.

Denny Crane

HIs conversion to Christianity yes. His decision not to play on Sundays only happened in the last year or two. And since then for me, he's not been on the pace in a blue jersey or at club level.

Taking a player supposedly meant to be your best scrummager to a World Cup then not being able to play him against Argentina just doesn't make sense to me.

The All Blacks would also grant such leave to Michael Jones. He missed a World Cup semi for them in 87 as it was on a Sunday.

Bert Le Clos

The All Blacks would also grant such leave to Michael Jones. He missed a World Cup semi for them in 87 as it was on a Sunday.

As I remember, they didn't do too badly in that World Cup?

Remind me how did we got on last year in NZ?

Bert Le Clos

Food for thought for next year's Lions tour. Picking it now it's dominated by Welsh players, but England look like they'll be well represented too, Ireland will have a few and Scotland will be lucky to take 2 or 3 places. Broken down by positions (my test starters chosen first);

1. Gethin Jenkins (Wal), Cian Healy (Ire), Dan Cole (Eng)

2. Rory Best (Ire), Jerry Flannery - if fit (Ire), Matthew Rees - if fit (Wal)

3. Adam Jones (Wal), Alex Corbisiero (Eng)

4. Richie Gray (Sco), Alun Wyn-Jones (Wal)

5. Bradley Davies (Wal), Ian evans (Wal), Courtney Lawes (Eng)

6. Dan Lydiate (Wal), Stephen Ferris (Ire), Tom Croft (Eng)

7. Sam Warburton (Wal), Sean O'Brien (Ire), Ross Rennie (Sco)

8. Toby Falatau (Wal), Jamie Heaslip (Ire), Ben Morgan (Eng), David Denton (Sco)

9. Mike Phillips (Wal), Ben Youngs (Eng)

10. Rhys Priestland (Wal), Jonathan Sexton (Ire), Toby Flood (Eng), Owen Farrell (Eng)

11. George North (Wal), Chris Ashton (Eng)

12. Jamie Roberts (Wal), Brad Barrett (Eng)

13. Jonathan Davies (Wal), Manu Tuilagi (Eng)

14. Tommy Bowe (Ire), Alex Cuthbert (Wal)

15. Rob Kearney (Ire), Leigh Halfpenny (Wal), Ben Foden (Eng)

Denny Crane

As I remember, they didn't do too badly in that World Cup?

Remind me how did we got on last year in NZ?

Out in the first round but if our failure depended solely on one player not spending his Sundays in church then we really do have problems.

Pete Seeger

My Lions team just now would be,

1 - Cian Healy (IRE), Alex Corbisiero (Eng)

2 - Rory Best (IRE), Mathew Rees (WAL)

3 - Dan Cole (ENG), Adam Jones (WAL)

4 - Richie Gray (SCO), Jim Hamilton (SCO)

5 - Courtney Lawes (ENG), Donnacha Ryan (IRE)

6 - Dan Lydiate (WAL), Stephen Ferris (IRE)

7 - Sam Warburton (WAL), Sean O'Brian (IRE)

8 - Jamie Heaslip (IRE), David Denton (SCO)

9 - Mike Phillips (WAL), Ben Youngs (ENG)

10 - Rhys Priestland (WAL), Owen Farrell (ENG)

11 - George North (WAL), Chris Ashton (ENG)/Tim Visser (SCO)

12 - Jamie Roberts (WAL), Brad Barrit (ENG)

13 - Tuilangi (ENG), Keith Earls (IRE)/Jonathon Davies (WAL)

14 - Tommy Bowe (IRE), Alex Cuthbert (WAL)

15 - Leigh Halfpenny (WAL), Kearney (IRE)

Warren Gatland to coach.

Side includes 7 Welshmen, 4 Irishmen, 3 Englishmen and a token Scot. I'd be tempted to play the England front row after the way they smashed the Irish last week though and Gethin Jenkins should travel if fit. Decent looking squad for next year.

Bert Le Clos

Out in the first round but if our failure depended solely on one player not spending his Sundays in church then we really do have problems.

We lost 13-12 and got pumped in the scrum.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the penalties we conceded contributed to us losing by one point. Similarly if we'd been able to exert more pressure on them at the scrum we might have earned ourselves a few kickable penalties.

Having a proper, first choice tighthead instead of swapping every 2nd week because of game falls on a Sunday might help in that regard.

Denny Crane

We lost 13-12 and got pumped in the scrum.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the penalties we conceded contributed to us losing by one point. Similarly if we'd been able to exert more pressure on them at the scrum we might have earned ourselves a few kickable penalties.

Having a proper, first choice tighthead instead of swapping every 2nd week because of game falls on a Sunday might help in that regard.

Or even the backs once again displaying a lack of imagination and skill to run a try or two past the Argentine defence.

Bert Le Clos

Or even the backs once again displaying a lack of imagination and skill to run a try or two past the Argentine defence.

I hear what you're saying, and agree regarding our backs. But that still doesn't explain taking a player apparently renound for his scrummaging ability who can only play in half the group matches, and not against the side considered the best scrummagers.

Denny Crane

I hear what you're saying, and agree regarding our backs. But that still doesn't explain taking a player apparently renound for his scrummaging ability who can only play in half the group matches, and not against the side considered the best scrummagers.

But what I'm saying is that Euan Murray is not the sole cause for Scotland being pish. Besides, only one of our four pool games was played on a Sunday. That's not half.

Archived