******The Official Six Nations Thread ******

Harry Palmer

Scotland have fecked up already by calling up a Welsh bloke...or have they?

Dan Parks to kick the Grand Slam kick.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict us to be fighting for 5th place with Italy again. Controversial huh!?

We'll fall to pieces in the scrum against Wales and France because our top player would rather be in church and until Tim Visser comes in we don't have a natural finisher. Having said that I think we'll see an improvement in Scotland over the next few years with players like Denton, Gray and Visser coming through but I think this years far too soon.

Wales for the grand slam.

The Welsh boy is still Welsh as far as the IRB are concerned.

We will see what happens with the appeal.

He can play fly half or inside centre and is actually pretty handy...we could use this appeal coming through to be honest - would be a big boost to our development.

He WANTS to play for us and that is a big plus point!

He can play fly half or inside centre and is actually pretty handy...we could use this appeal coming through to be honest - would be a big boost to our development.

Am I right in thinking he wasn't aware that playing for their under 20's side would stop him playing for Scotland? If so, you'd like to think we have a good chance with the appeal. We're going to have some decent players in a couple of years. I was told Cusack want's to play once he's been here long enough and add in some of the young guys coming through at Glasgow and Edinburgh and it's looking more promising than it has for a while.

Centre has been a problem for the national side since John Leslie and Gregor Townsend and I can't see Ansbro, Morrison or De Luca changing that so if the guy can play a bit then fingers crossed he wins the appeal. I've not seen enough of him to judge.

The White Cockade

Am I right in thinking he wasn't aware that playing for their under 20's side would stop him playing for Scotland? If so, you'd like to think we have a good chance with the appeal. We're going to have some decent players in a couple of years. I was told Cusack want's to play once he's been here long enough and add in some of the young guys coming through at Glasgow and Edinburgh and it's looking more promising than it has for a while.

Centre has been a problem for the national side since John Leslie and Gregor Townsend and I can't see Ansbro, Morrison or De Luca changing that so if the guy can play a bit then fingers crossed he wins the appeal. I've not seen enough of him to judge.

Ansbro is a cracking player

He didn't know it would tie him in to Wales - they are claiming they were all made aware of it but I'm not sure if anything was signed etc so we will just have to wait and see.

The biggest blow in recent years was losing Tom Evans who was the better of the two brothers...I think he would have gone on to be a cracking centre for Scotland. Ansbro is solid and probably the best we have - if we can't get the Welsh boy in he may keep trying to use S.Lamont's creativity in the midfield area rather than out wide.

If Rory Lamont can get an injury free spell under his belt he has a bit of quality about him at FB - and there is the young guy from Glasgow to come through.

Stand off remains the MASSIVE issue for us, you simply can't challenge the top rugby nations without an international quality FH and at the moment we have Godman, Parks and Jackson (and Laidlaw but he is still mainly a SH.)

If we win the appeal I think he will try Shingler at FH.

Lest we forget Duncan Weir who has made rapid progress in his fledgling career so far at stand-off (first with Glasgow Hawks and now with Glasgow Warriors).

He's a very good player. But let's be honest, I doubt he WANTS to play for us that much. If he had he would have declared his nationality as Scottish a long time ago. What's happened is he's looked at Wales' midfield of Rhys Priestland (24), Jamie Roberts (25) and Jonathan Davies (23) and thought he's going to have to wait years to make it into the Welsh team. I still hope we get him though!

That's what he's claiming, that he wasn't aware and never signed a disclaimer saying he was declaring himself as Welsh. Wales and France both declared their U20s as their "A" teams, so the appeal will hinge on whether he was made aware representing the U20s would tie him to Wales.

I actually think centre is a position we're OK in. Maybe not depth wise, but Morrison and Ansbro have come onto some good form recently and I'm more than happy with them starting the 6 Nations as our centre partnership. If anything, I'd have Shingler at stand-off. Parks has his worth but isn't any good at creating try scoring opportunities and Jackson really hasn't lived up to the hype, proving that playing stand-off in an international is a lot different from playing at Magner's League level.

He's a very good player. But let's be honest, I doubt he WANTS to play for us that much. If he had he would have declared his nationality as Scottish a long time ago. What's happened is he's looked at Wales' midfield of Rhys Priestland (24), Jamie Roberts (25) and Jonathan Davies (23) and thought he's going to have to wait years to make it into the Welsh team. I still hope we get him though!

That's what he's claiming, that he wasn't aware and never signed a disclaimer saying he was declaring himself as Welsh. Wales and France both declared their U20s as their "A" teams, so the appeal will hinge on whether he was made aware representing the U20s would tie him to Wales.

I actually think centre is a position we're OK in. Maybe not depth wise, but Morrison and Ansbro have come onto some good form recently and I'm more than happy with them starting the 6 Nations as our centre partnership. If anything, I'd have Shingler at stand-off. Parks has his worth but isn't any good at creating try scoring opportunities and Jackson really hasn't lived up to the hype, proving that playing stand-off in an international is a lot different from playing at Magner's League level.

Morrison is not creative enough for me - perhaps with a more creative fly half that would be fine to have a solid ball carrier and tackler, however with Jackson or Parks as 10 I think the best option is Lamont in at 12 with your pick of the rest for the wings.

Danielli and Walker are much of a muchness IMO but Walker obviously has not made the squad, Evans is probably the best of a bad bunch - and we are still to see how the young lads come in and do.

Visser will be a great addition next year (or is he going to be available for the Autumn tests??) if he can keep his form up.

Morrison is not creative enough for me - perhaps with a more creative fly half that would be fine to have a solid ball carrier and tackler, however with Jackson or Parks as 10 I think the best option is Lamont in at 12 with your pick of the rest for the wings.

Danielli and Walker are much of a muchness IMO but Walker obviously has not made the squad, Evans is probably the best of a bad bunch - and we are still to see how the young lads come in and do.

Visser will be a great addition next year (or is he going to be available for the Autumn tests??) if he can keep his form up.

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you re. Morrison. But in the last year his international form has come on leaps and bounds. Lamont isn't anymore creative, he's just a strong, fast runner who's been shifted from wing to 12 when there's been no one else.

But saying that, Roberts has shown for Wales that you don't have to be creative to be effective. Morrison and Lamont aren't as big as him, but they're not far off. All Roberts does is take flat ball off his 10 right on the gain line and run a good, hard angle. It helps that he has a 7 like Warburton who's pretty much first to every breakdown to back him up, but Scotland don't have too bad a 7 themselves in John Barclay. The difference is 2nd or 3rd phase, Wales have the men outside 12 to do the damage. It's not that Scotland don't create chances, it's that we pass them up. We're nowhere near clinical enough once we get in behind teams.

However I think we've got a chance of turning over Ireland who are a team in transition. I think we'll beat Italy and you never know against France. England are another team in transition who I think will either pull it off and go all the way or struggle. We've shown before with poor Scottish sides we're capable of beating France and England at home. A decent result in Dublin and we could be looking at 2nd place! Or is that wishful thinking...

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you re. Morrison. But in the last year his international form has come on leaps and bounds. Lamont isn't anymore creative, he's just a strong, fast runner who's been shifted from wing to 12 when there's been no one else.

But saying that, Roberts has shown for Wales that you don't have to be creative to be effective. Morrison and Lamont aren't as big as him, but they're not far off. All Roberts does is take flat ball off his 10 right on the gain line and run a good, hard angle. It helps that he has a 7 like Warburton who's pretty much first to every breakdown to back him up, but Scotland don't have too bad a 7 themselves in John Barclay. The difference is 2nd or 3rd phase, Wales have the men outside 12 to do the damage. It's not that Scotland don't create chances, it's that we pass them up. We're nowhere near clinical enough once we get in behind teams.

However I think we've got a chance of turning over Ireland who are a team in transition. I think we'll beat Italy and you never know against France. England are another team in transition who I think will either pull it off and go all the way or struggle. We've shown before with poor Scottish sides we're capable of beating France and England at home. A decent result in Dublin and we could be looking at 2nd place! Or is that wishful thinking...

I still think Lamont is our best chance at 12 in establishing a relationship with Ansbro. But agree that Morrison has become a much stronger 12 as the last year has gone on. Visser is the most natural finisher that Scotland have (will have) come the summer. As him and Evans on the wings with Lamont at FB. Time will tell on the Glasgow boy Hogg and how much game time he gets in the tournament.

Interesting times ahead for Scotland - if Robinson is serious about the Lions job he will have to give up before next year's 6 nations. We need a decision on that one ASAP for the sake of our development as a Rugby team - I hope we can hang onto him.

Wasn't everyone's cup of tea (including mine) when appointed but I think he is a tremendous Head Coach.

I still think Lamont is our best chance at 12 in establishing a relationship with Ansbro. But agree that Morrison has become a much stronger 12 as the last year has gone on. Visser is the most natural finisher that Scotland have (will have) come the summer. As him and Evans on the wings with Lamont at FB. Time will tell on the Glasgow boy Hogg and how much game time he gets in the tournament.

Interesting times ahead for Scotland - if Robinson is serious about the Lions job he will have to give up before next year's 6 nations. We need a decision on that one ASAP for the sake of our development as a Rugby team - I hope we can hang onto him.

Wasn't everyone's cup of tea (including mine) when appointed but I think he is a tremendous Head Coach.

He won't necessarily have to give up the Scotland job if appointed to the Lions post. Others such as Jim Telfer, Ian McGeechan and Graham Henry have combined the two roles (ie. a home nation & the Lions) in the past.

Cardiac Rucksack

Our biggest problem as ever will be converting the numerous chances we create.

When was the last time we scored a try?

Was it Stanger for the grandslam. :troll:

He won't necessarily have to give up the Scotland job if appointed to the Lions post. Others such as Jim Telfer, Ian McGeechan and Graham Henry have combined the two roles (ie. a home nation & the Lions) in the past.

The Lions officials have already said that whoever is appointed will be 'expected' to give up their International Roles if they accept the job as Lions head coach.

I'm not really that arsed about rugby but, as a Welshman I do love the 6 Nations. Hopeful of a win v the English. Anything else is a bonus. :thumbsup:

Not a massive rugby fan, but every year I head to the Wales game with my two company directors (one Scottish and one Welsh) and it has to be said it's a brilliant day out. Can't wait for Cardiff again this year. Hopefully we will remember that the game is 80mins long and not 75 to avoid a repeat of two years ago.

Gutted that Chris Patterson is retired, IIRC his goal/kick ratio knocked Wilkinson's out of the park that year.

Not a massive rugby fan, but every year I head to the Wales game with my two company directors (one Scottish and one Welsh) and it has to be said it's a brilliant day out. Can't wait for Cardiff again this year. Hopefully we will remember that the game is 80mins long and not 75 to avoid a repeat of two years ago.

Gutted that Chris Patterson is retired, IIRC his goal/kick ratio knocked Wilkinson's out of the park that year.

Paterson's goal kicking record blew pretty much everyone out of the park between the 2007 and 2011 world cups.

Slightly premature starting this thread but what the hell....just to keep it going and build the anticipation and excitement. :thumbsup:

Scotland squad:

Backs: J Ansbro (London Irish), M Blair (Edinburgh), C Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors), S Danielli (Ulster), N De Luca (Edinburgh), M Evans (Castres), S Hogg, R Jackson (both Glasgow Warriors), P Godman, L Jones, G Laidlaw (all Edinburgh), R Lamont (Glasgow Warriors), S Lamont (Scarlets), R Lawson (Gloucester), G Morrison (Glasgow Warriors), S Shingler (London Irish), D Parks (Cardiff Blues), D Weir (Glasgow Warriors).

Forwards: J Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), K Brown (Saracens), G Cross, D Denton (both Edinburgh), A Dickinson (Sale Sharks), R Ford (Edinburgh), T Ryder, R Gray, D Hall (all Glasgow Warriors), J Hamilton (Gloucester), R Harley (Glasgow Warriors), A Jacobsen (Edinburgh), A Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), S Lawson (Gloucester), E Kalman (Glasgow Warriors), F McKenzie (Sale Sharks), E Murray (Newcastle Falcons), R Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby), A Strokosch (Gloucester), R Vernon (Sale Sharks).

Dan Parks.... :down:

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

WALES SQUAD

Backs: Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Rhys Preistland (Scarlets), James Hook (Perpignan), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Gavin Henson (Cardiff Blues), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), George North (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Harry Robinson (Cardiff Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Lee Bryne (Clermont Auvergne)

Forwards: Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Paul James (Ospreys), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Cardiff Blues), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Lou Reed (Scarlets), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), Sam Warburton (capt, Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), Andy Powell (Sale Sharks).

Gavin Henson is a gamble, but on his day he is one of the best inside centres in the world.

I'm expecting a big tournament from George North. Great talent, and only 19.

All in all, it's a strong Welsh squad and they should be challenging.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Slightly premature starting this thread but what the hell....just to keep it going and build the anticipation and excitement. :thumbsup:

Scotland squad:

Backs: J Ansbro (London Irish), M Blair (Edinburgh), C Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors), S Danielli (Ulster), N De Luca (Edinburgh), M Evans (Castres), S Hogg, R Jackson (both Glasgow Warriors), P Godman, L Jones, G Laidlaw (all Edinburgh), R Lamont (Glasgow Warriors), S Lamont (Scarlets), R Lawson (Gloucester), G Morrison (Glasgow Warriors), S Shingler (London Irish), D Parks (Cardiff Blues), D Weir (Glasgow Warriors).

Forwards: J Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), K Brown (Saracens), G Cross, D Denton (both Edinburgh), A Dickinson (Sale Sharks), R Ford (Edinburgh), T Ryder, R Gray, D Hall (all Glasgow Warriors), J Hamilton (Gloucester), R Harley (Glasgow Warriors), A Jacobsen (Edinburgh), A Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), S Lawson (Gloucester), E Kalman (Glasgow Warriors), F McKenzie (Sale Sharks), E Murray (Newcastle Falcons), R Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby), A Strokosch (Gloucester), R Vernon (Sale Sharks).

Nick De Luca. :vrface:

Scotland squad:

Godman, Hall and Danielli :facepalm:

Cheers guys, I'm assuming we won't be hitting the dizzy heights again this year...

Always next year though. :thumbsup:

Ross Ford announced as Scotland Captain.

Robinson's fourth captain since taking charge and was not his first choice when making this decision. Kelly Brown was set for it prior to being injured last week.

Got freebies through work for corporate to see the Scotland v England game

Just thought I'd share that

:verysmug:

Ruined by Dan Parks...

:smuggy:

Chris Robeshaw named as England captain today despite only having one cap. I just don't know how to call Saturday. Scotland are either going to get torn in about an inexperienced England side who will freeze and buckle under the pressure........or England will play care free rugby and blow Scotland away.

Wales will still win the Championship for me though. Their wingers are frightening to think of. With Williams finished, gone are the days of small, jinky winger. Wales wingers in their opener are likely to be;

Left wing - Alex Cuthbert, Age - 21, Height - 6'6", Weight - 16st 5 lb Right wing - George North, Age - 19, Height - 6'4", Weight - 16st 5lb

LONDONSEVENS-210511-068.jpgRugby_Union_4-1_jpg_411201a.jpg

That is terrifying, even more so when you think they run the 100m in 11 seconds. England have Banahan at 6'7" and 18st 3lb, France have Rougerie at 6'4" and 16st 5 lb. They make Sean Lamont, Tommy Bowe and Italy's Alberto Sgarbi look average size at 6'3" and 15st 4lb. Italy have another winger who is "only" 6'2" and 17st 8lb!

Feck being Max Evans.

Got freebies through work for corporate to see the Scotland v England game

Just thought I'd share that

:verysmug:

Out of interest, think we're in the Marquee restaurant before the game, anybody know the dress code? It says smart casual but what does that mean nowadays?

Scotland team v England on Saturday

1. Jacobsen 2. Ford © 3. Murray 4. Gray 5. Hamilton 6. Strokosch 7. Rennie 8. Denton

9. Cusiter 10. Parks 11. Evans 12. S. Lamont 13. De Luca 14. Jones 15. R. Lamont

Pleased he's gone for Rennie and Denton in the back row, I think they both just shade their Glasgow counterparts. Strokosch adds real grit and with Brown out is a was a shoe in at 6.

Gutted to see Parks at 10. You can pick as exciting a back line from 12 out but if you're 10 doesn't give them ball you won't create anything. Pleased to see Jones getting a chance. Regardless of what people think of De Luca the centre pairing is the best we can manage after Morrison and Ansbro's injuries.

I'm (quietly) confident.

1. Jacobsen 2. Ford © 3. Murray 4. Gray 5. Hamilton 6. Strokosch 7. Rennie 8. Denton

9. Cusiter 10. Parks 11. Evans 12. S. Lamont 13. De Luca 14. Jones 15. R. Lamont

41084800.jpg

Pleased he's gone for Rennie and Denton in the back row, I think they both just shade their Glasgow counterparts. Strokosch adds real grit and with Brown out is a was a shoe in at 6.

Gutted to see Parks at 10. You can pick as exciting a back line from 12 out but if you're 10 doesn't give them ball you won't create anything. Pleased to see Jones getting a chance. Regardless of what people think of De Luca the centre pairing is the best we can manage after Morrison and Ansbro's injuries.

I'm (quietly) confident.

Lee Jones is a local lad and seemingly really quick. :thumbsup:

Well local for me. :lol:

Given that the weather is forecasted to be pishing down on Saturday, a running game is likely not to be on the cards. Hence Parks at 10 and Sean Lamont at 12.

That pack should be strong enough to merit playing Parks. Glad to see Jones getting his first cap but I can't see him getting a chance at touching the ball. Does anyone know anything about the way Lancaster likes to set his sides up? Will they try to spread it wide?

Also delighted to see Denton starting, the guy's going to be a big player for us.

England team:

15- Foden, 14- Ashton, 13- Barritt, 12-Farrell, 11-Strettle, 10-Hodgson, 9- Youngs;

1- Corbisiero, 2- Hartley, 3- Cole, 4- Botha, 5- Palmer, 6- Croft, 7- Robshaw (captain) 8- Dowson

Not knowing, or rather paying little attention to club rugby, I've no idea whether it's good or bad.

3 new starts in there seemingly.

Meant to be snow and pish weather.

I P Knightley

England team:

15- Foden, 14- Ashton, 13- Barritt, 12-Farrell, 11-Strettle, 10-Hodgson, 9- Youngs;

1- Corbisiero, 2- Hartley, 3- Cole, 4- Botha, 5- Palmer, 6- Croft, 7- Robshaw (captain) 8- Dowson

Not knowing, or rather paying little attention to club rugby, I've no idea whether it's good or bad.

Big contingent from Saracens, there. So, although inexperienced cap-wise, they have the potential to gel and cause problems. Of course, the flip side is that the Sarries boys may fail to gel with the remainder of the squad.

That's some pairing at lock: The Botha chappie from South Africa and the lad who grew up playing his rugby at Meggetland.

5Live had a programme from Watsonians earlier.

Andy Robinson, Brian (Dick) Moore, Gavin (Run ya ****) Hastings, Matt (QoS) Dawson and Chris (God) Paterson were on it..

Should be on iplayer etc.

Was good stuff though.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

England team:

An uninspiring pack.

But it's the back line that is going to cause us problems.

I've always rated Ben Foden, David Strettle, Charlie Hodgson (a lot of experience), and Ben Youngs. They should be England's most threatening players.

Oh aye, and there's Chris Ashton. But I don't rate him, as he's a first rate ****o. :greggy:

Hopefully it pours with rain which will take Parks' lack of creativity out the game.

Our forwards should dominate them up front...should :ermm:

Incredible result for Scotland A tonight against the Saxons. Are we realistically heading towards better times for Scottish rugby? Or are England just pish across the board? For a country that has more rugby players than any other country in the world they don't half underachieve.

****o.

:arry:

You're right though, he's a massive one. But a ridiculously good finisher. 95 tries in just over 100 games for Northampton.

A typical Scottish attictude I suppose, but I hope we get right stuck in about England today. Put the frighteners on them early doors and they might just crumble. If we let a young, inexperienced side get their tails up they'll play a running game without a care which is the sort of game we struggle in.

Watching the BBC build up, and I'll get pelters for this, but I like Brian Moore and I think he talks a lot of sense.

Jerry Guscott on the other hand, just looks like a fat Gok Wan.

jack D and coke

Scotland squad:

Not massively clued up on my rugby but i'd heard this at the world cup too. Is Parks just pish? He's never looked that bad to me anytime i've ever watched us play. Who was the guy from the Borders that everyone wanted us to play?

Archived