Jump to content
chester copperpot

depression

Recommended Posts

LeftBack
Just now, dsk1210 said:

 

Just remember things do get better at some point, never take a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

 

Hope things get better soon. 

Feeling ashamed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

Just had a major melt down. Struggling to cope. 

Really sorry to hear this.

 

If you are the poster who used to be Harry’s Roar (I think I’m right), I remember having a right good laugh with you years ago.

 

Take care, nothing to be ashamed of.

 

All the best to you,

 

Morgan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Col1874

This video just popped up on my YouTube 'suggested videos' and it's a cover of one of my favourite songs. 

 

One More Light by Linkin Park is pretty much about telling a suicidal person that you care, and the song has some powerful lyrics, but this cover by 'One Voice Children's Choir' takes it to another level, just watch the video and you'll see what I mean. 

 

Children's choir isn't the sort of thing I'd watch, but this is good.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeftBack
6 hours ago, Morgan said:

Really sorry to hear this.

 

If you are the poster who used to be Harry’s Roar (I think I’m right), I remember having a right good laugh with you years ago.

 

Take care, nothing to be ashamed of.

 

All the best to you,

 

Morgan

Cheers mate appreciated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlimOzturk

Having a pretty tough old time ATM. Never been one to let things get to me but this past couple of months have taken their toll. 

 

Unfortunately my Grandad has taken seriously ill and doesn't have long left. Been watching him deteriorate and watching the impact this is having on my family is getting to me. Been drinking alot of alcohol, started smoking again, eating shit and haven't done a bit of excercise. Have been snapping at my wife and kids as well 

 

Need to snap out of this. Never knew how much something like would affect me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
On 06/10/2019 at 12:12, AlimOzturk said:

Having a pretty tough old time ATM. Never been one to let things get to me but this past couple of months have taken their toll. 

 

Unfortunately my Grandad has taken seriously ill and doesn't have long left. Been watching him deteriorate and watching the impact this is having on my family is getting to me. Been drinking alot of alcohol, started smoking again, eating shit and haven't done a bit of excercise. Have been snapping at my wife and kids as well 

 

Need to snap out of this. Never knew how much something like would affect me. 

 

 

Sorry to hear that , Have you any one you can lean on or talk to to let the rants out or drag you to the gym to help move you forward. The shit eating will be making it worse as your serotonin levels will be dropping with the bad diet. Hope you get through it. Took me two years and roughly 40kgs gain to get on top of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Col1874
13 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Another positive development in research. Again about doing something/ learning a skill.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-50167812

 

Certainly doesn't work for humans. Got my HGV re-test later and really not wanting to go anymore as I know how I'll be and what my mind will be thinking when I fail again - I can't take the abuse I'll get from my colleagues if I don't pass and would rather just not be here than suffer that. 

 

Failure comes naturally to some, like me, so learning a new skill is more of a stress than relaxant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottishguy
On 05/10/2019 at 17:31, Col1874 said:

This video just popped up on my YouTube 'suggested videos' and it's a cover of one of my favourite songs. 

 

One More Light by Linkin Park is pretty much about telling a suicidal person that you care, and the song has some powerful lyrics, but this cover by 'One Voice Children's Choir' takes it to another level, just watch the video and you'll see what I mean. 

 

Children's choir isn't the sort of thing I'd watch, but this is good.

 

 

 

My favourite song. That's a fantastic version, kids singing it takes up another level of emotions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z
6 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Certainly doesn't work for humans. Got my HGV re-test later and really not wanting to go anymore as I know how I'll be and what my mind will be thinking when I fail again - I can't take the abuse I'll get from my colleagues if I don't pass and would rather just not be here than suffer that. 

 

Failure comes naturally to some, like me, so learning a new skill is more of a stress than relaxant. 

 

These rats didn't learn to drive their tiny cars in order to pass an exam though--it was for the "joy" of it. I'm terrible at work that involves using your hands, and yet I built an arcade machine a few years ago as an outlet to relieve anxiety and depression. It was about the journey and the learning and the fruits of your efforts, not about being naturally talented at it or passing some arbitrary test with sufficient marks, you know?

 

Sorry to hear about your struggles all the same--I hope a surprise is coming your way to blow through that pessimism!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Col1874

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

 

 

... I passed.

 

Another fail would have destroyed me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
4 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

 

 

... I passed.

 

Another fail would have destroyed me. 

I read your previous post and was concerned by your fatalism regarding your test, I am so very happy that you posted this.

Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
4 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

 

 

... I passed.

 

Another fail would have destroyed me. 

 

👍 Well done man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Irufushi
4 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

 

 

... I passed.

 

Another fail would have destroyed me. 


well done Col 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tokyowalnut
5 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

 

 

... I passed.

 

Another fail would have destroyed me. 

Well done bud. The fear of failing and the anxiety it can bring is awful, been there. 

 

Hope you can relax and enjoy the weekend  now 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graygo
5 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

 

 

... I passed.

 

Another fail would have destroyed me. 

 

Fantastic, well done. :bravo: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab
5 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

 

 

... I passed.

 

Another fail would have destroyed me. 

Nice one Col, well done mate. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambothump

I was at a party on saturday, there was a younger than me lady there, I have known for 20+ years. I have seen her go from "wow", to 26st. When at her worst, remember, I am not a close friend, you could see the change in the vibrant, if for me, not likeable person you knew.

It was quite wonderful, she is back on track and seemingly  happy.

Point being, I was not in a good place, years ago when I knew her, only later when I saw her, good bank job, seemingly life, by this time,.I realised how true depression had taken its toll on her, it was quite heartbreaking, not just her physical appearance, but the whole aura of uselessness ?

I've been, as most, low at times, true depression, is abused as a sickness/malady, those using it as an excuse for whatever, are abusing those who really suffer the condition.

Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, circumstances can amplify this, but that imbalance, if its there, can be hard to recover from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
On 25/10/2019 at 16:07, Col1874 said:

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

 

 

... I passed.

 

Another fail would have destroyed me. 

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thommo414
On 25/10/2019 at 16:07, Col1874 said:

Despite my worries mentioned on my previous post, I still went through the test. 

 

 

... I passed.

 

Another fail would have destroyed me. 

Cracking stuff. A monkey well and truly off the back. Well done! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers

Nice to see this thread is still going strong.  Anyone looking in but too worried to post can see that they are not alone with their problems.  This is a great thread for getting whatever is worrying you off your shoulders and there is a lot of great advice from people who have been through the same issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunks
7 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Nice to see this thread is still going strong.  Anyone looking in but too worried to post can see that they are not alone with their problems.  This is a great thread for getting whatever is worrying you off your shoulders and there is a lot of great advice from people who have been through the same issues.  

 

Very well said.

 

I'm fortunate in that I have never suffered from depression, but I have been faced with supporting those around me who do suffer. This goes as far as supporting those closest to me who have attempted to take their own life.

 

I'm also fortunate to have an employer that trains staff in mental health awareness and offers training to ensure a number of mental health first aiders are spread across the workforce. Having undertaken this training, I'm probably at a level of understanding of this debilitating illness that allows me to provide as much support as possible. Unfortunately, it isn't always enough. 

 

I find this thread hugely comforting. To those that do suffer - you are not alone and help is available. For those that don't suffer - you have friends, family and colleagues that will appreciate your support and understanding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambothump

I know of two people in the recent past,who have taken their own lives, with a lot to live for. No money worries, good career, loving family. Yet, committed suicide, people who use depression,as a means to get sick pay off work, piss me off, royally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
33 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

I know of two people in the recent past,who have taken their own lives, with a lot to live for. No money worries, good career, loving family. Yet, committed suicide, people who use depression as a means to get sick pay off work, piss me off, royally.

You and me likewise.

 

I knew a few folk who did that, especially on a Friday and a Monday (oddly enough :rolleyes: ) and were soon right as rain again.

 

Feckin chancers and parasites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AndyNic
52 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You and me likewise.

 

I knew a few folk who did that, especially on a Friday and a Monday (oddly enough :rolleyes: ) and were soon right as rain again.

 

Feckin chancers and parasites.

 

Same. Absolutely sickens me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers
2 hours ago, Jambothump said:

I know of two people in the recent past,who have taken their own lives, with a lot to live for. No money worries, good career, loving family. Yet, committed suicide, people who use depression,as a means to get sick pay off work, piss me off, royally.

 

I have never encountered anyone who has done this.  It's pretty sick to say the least, especially given that those who are suffering are usually the ones who are making their work every day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Irufushi
5 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Nice to see this thread is still going strong.  Anyone looking in but too worried to post can see that they are not alone with their problems.  This is a great thread for getting whatever is worrying you off your shoulders and there is a lot of great advice from people who have been through the same issues.  


correct, I posted my problems fairly recently as I’m absolutely terrible at opening up, I had some really lovely, supportive messages from people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thommo414

A couple of jobs ago, I had to get signed off with depression as I would come home wanting to seriously hurt myself and one time found myself break down in tears at work. Used the time to find a new job which I stuck for a while before leaving to find something better paid, from which I was dumped as I hadn't been able to handle it, which I believe led me back to this thread in the summer. Since then, I've found a new job completely different to before, upped the meds and in recent times have turned a new leaf entirely.

 

Things can look hopeless indeed but the dark times can pass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambothump
9 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

 

I have never encountered anyone who has done this.  It's pretty sick to say the least, especially given that those who are suffering are usually the ones who are making their work every day. 

I've seen a couple, one would spend a day in the pub, tanning half a bottle of Jack Daniels, alcohol is a freckin' depressant ! The other, horribly verbally bullied by her family, but she's not a nice person either, an attention seeker to compensate. Believe me, the second one had and has mental health problems, depression is not a major one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambothump

I was prescribed Prozac, my girlfriend at the time, had went full term with her second child, born dead, and had been prescribed and taking that years before.

True depression, is a serious chemical imbalance, where meds are needed, and is much less common that we would think. There's the difference between needing a psychologist and a psychiatrist.

As pointed out before, changes to lifestyle, work, social activities, can help a lot of people, it did for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambothump
26 minutes ago, Irufushi said:


correct, I posted my problems fairly recently as I’m absolutely terrible at opening up, I had some really lovely, supportive messages from people. 

In dark times, I've had a few friends, who out of the blue, have picked up the phone for a blether. No particular reason, but their calls are an abiding memory for me.

If you know someone who is a bit "off", give them a call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
1 hour ago, Thommo414 said:

A couple of jobs ago, I had to get signed off with depression as I would come home wanting to seriously hurt myself and one time found myself break down in tears at work. Used the time to find a new job which I stuck for a while before leaving to find something better paid, from which I was dumped as I hadn't been able to handle it, which I believe led me back to this thread in the summer. Since then, I've found a new job completely different to before, upped the meds and in recent times have turned a new leaf entirely.

 

Things can look hopeless indeed but the dark times can pass

It's always darkest just before the dawn.  

 

Good to hear things are looking up for you, Thommo.

 

Morgan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PTBCAL

I’m in the middle of a terrible time mentally. Silly argument with my wife and now we are divorced- all within 7 weeks. Don’t ask but it’s happened. Thing is she had a lot to do with my depression as she never supported me like I would expect a wife to do - always paid lip service. I was a very undemanding husband but as depression took over me I had no one to talk to really. 
 

However I’ve done a few things that have helped me both now and going forward. Got a dog - amazing help and encourages me to leave the house. Signed up for the Changing Room project at Hearts and I now do volunteer work.

 

Whilst I’m on medication and have many bad days currently I have felt a small improvement so there is always hope that a better life and general well-being is in reach. My issue is that I suffer from self loathing so I don’t want to be happy as I don’t deserve it etc

 

A vicious circle in all honesty 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thommo414
5 hours ago, Morgan said:

It's always darkest just before the dawn.  

 

Good to hear things are looking up for you, Thommo.

 

Morgan

Thats exactly it! 

 

As I recall, last year, the first time I contributed to this thread, it was yourself who got in touch to show support. 

 

You're a good guy, Morgan! Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
1 minute ago, Thommo414 said:

Thats exactly it! 

 

As I recall, last year, the first time I contributed to this thread, it was yourself who got in touch to show support. 

 

You're a good guy, Morgan! Thank you! 

Absolutely no problem, Thommo.

 

Keep your chin up, my friend, take care.

 

Morgan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambothump
10 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Got a dog - 

 

 

The wee fella on the left, was a life saver for me. Better for me, than any drugs that could be prescribed, but I know it was my circumstances and not true depression, where I was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PTBCAL
3 hours ago, Jambothump said:

The wee fella on the left, was a life saver for me. Better for me, than any drugs that could be prescribed, but I know it was my circumstances and not true depression, where I was.


so true - Pippa has been amazing for me and she has taken a real shine to me also 👍

 

And you meet so many lovely people whilst out walking with the dog 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Canada

I always find this time of year much harder with the lack of daylight and bad weather. I'm trying to get out on my mountain bike when I can and walk during my lunch breaks to get some natural light and a change of scene. 

 

I've also been driving to work a bit earlier and doing some meditation in the car which helps me feel a bit calmer before a busy day ahead. 

 

I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea but there's a guy called Dr. Joe Dispenza who has a lot of interesting videos on YouTube about changing negative thought patterns which is where a lot of my own problems stem from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gone
55 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I always find this time of year much harder with the lack of daylight and bad weather. I'm trying to get out on my mountain bike when I can and walk during my lunch breaks to get some natural light and a change of scene. 

 

I've also been driving to work a bit earlier and doing some meditation in the car which helps me feel a bit calmer before a busy day ahead. 

 

I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea but there's a guy called Dr. Joe Dispenza who has a lot of interesting videos on YouTube about changing negative thought patterns which is where a lot of my own problems stem from. 

 

Yep Autumn/ Winter really are horrid. Can feel myself beginning to feel crap due to lack of daylight... Excercise and being open really does help though.

 

If anyone needs a rant drop me a pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Canada

Bumping this because I know how difficult this time of year can be for lots of people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
23 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Bumping this because I know how difficult this time of year can be for lots of people. 

Nice thought.  :thumbsup:

 

Christmas time can be so happy, yet so sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
swavkav

I actually have a page on Facebook called “ I am Determined”. Share a meme ask for help.

 

my idea for it, came around as so many who suffer from mental health, wont say anything to their family and friends, so I came up with the “ share a meme”  it’s too alert their friends list they are suffering.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
1 hour ago, swavkav said:

I actually have a page on Facebook called “ I am Determined”. Share a meme ask for help.

 

my idea for it, came around as so many who suffer from mental health, wont say anything to their family and friends, so I came up with the “ share a meme”  it’s too alert their friends list they are suffering.  

I can't imagine anyone being that depressed whilst looking at your massive bouncing boobs. 

 

edit- massive bouncing boobs therapy

Edited by Zlatanable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
swavkav
34 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I can't imagine anyone being that depressed whilst looking at your massive bouncing boobs. 

 

edit- massive bouncing boobs therapy

Alas, sadly they are not on my page. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable

bump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeftBack

On seraltine and getting therapy. Both working although tough. Side effects of drugs have been not nice this week but ill get through it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood

To all those with depression and mental health issues I wish you all the best.

Hopefully with treatment and therapy you all come through it and put it behind you.

Good luck and take care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeftBack

Struggling today folks. Side effects of drugs kicked in. Very dark thoughts. Ill get there though. Just thought id reach out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
12 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Struggling today folks. Side effects of drugs kicked in. Very dark thoughts. Ill get there though. Just thought id reach out 

Shit, G, sorry to hear that, mate 

 

Please, please take care and for Christ's sake, don't do anything daft.

 

Keep us/me informed.

 

PM if you like?

Edited by Morgan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

To all those with depression and mental health issues I wish you all the best.

Hopefully with treatment and therapy you all come through it and put it behind you.

Good luck and take care.

Seconded.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...