depression

chester copperpot

rudi must stay

I hope this thread can be helpful for me. So I am seeing a psychiatrist and am on Respirodone and Sertraline, any one else been on them and have any advice

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I hope this thread can be helpful for me. So I am seeing a psychiatrist and am on Respirodone and Sertraline, any one else been on them and have any advice

No advice to give you but good luck and I'm sure you'll get through it.

3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

47 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Seconded.

rudi must stay
29 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Seconded.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Really appreciated 👍

I am not depressed per se, but Covid has made things so difficult I can understand how people feel. I have had a week of yes depressing roadblocks. I waited in a one hour line up to get into the bank to get documents from the safety deposit box received messages that the British Pension office phone lines are blocked, need to cancel a pension, went online they say can be ten days before a request can be answered. I wake up now at three in the morning and get a lump in my stomach worrying about the many things I have to do but have limited access to getting them done, I am not sure I have depression, but I am depressed.

5 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Different cocktails of drugs work for different people.

Everybody's brain has slightly different chemistry and it can take a while to find the right mix of drugs to help balance it all out.

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

I am not depressed per se, but Covid has made things so difficult I can understand how people feel. I have had a week of yes depressing roadblocks. I waited in a one hour line up to get into the bank to get documents from the safety deposit box received messages that the British Pension office phone lines are blocked, need to cancel a pension, went online they say can be ten days before a request can be answered. I wake up now at three in the morning and get a lump in my stomach worrying about the many things I have to do but have limited access to getting them done, I am not sure I have depression, but I am depressed.

Bob, I was a bit overwhelmed when my Dad died, a friend suggested writing two lists of things that needed done. One 'urgent' list and one list of things that could wait. I found that helped me. What is an awful time must be compounded by delays due to the current time.

On 13/07/2020 at 18:46, Captain Sausage said:

Totally understand the strain on the relationship. I’ve got two little ones -the toddler would normally be in nursery and the Mrs in work, but she’s on mat leave with the baby and stuck in the house with a 3 year old who is just out of control. 

im working for home, so he gets worked up that I can’t play with him which leads him to act out. She has to deal with that while dealing with a baby and I get it in the neck for the smallest transgression as a result. 

it’s inevitable that it leads to arguments and everyone is just frustrated. I don’t know if it would work for everyone, but we are using the 2 hours of quiet time at night to just talk through the day, about what went well, what was a car crash and talk about how we made the other one feel. 

one of my good pals has kids the same age and his daughter (3) is shitting herself as a way of getting attention - so my situation could always be worse. 

feel free to pm if you want to talk about it mate - it’s definitely helped me knowing others are in the same situation. 

looking at insta you’d think every other parent has these angelic kids and partners, but in reality we are all struggling to survive until things to back so some semblance of normality. 

So sorry I never saw this post before until the threads recent bump. Thanks for the words, means a lot for you to reach out.

Luckily, things do seem to have improved considerably In the meantime (some not so much), it’s an uphill journey but I’m confident things will be okay in the end 

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Really appreciated 👍

No problem at all, Rudi.

It was a genuine comment, heartfelt and real.

Take care, let us know how things progress.

Morgs

rudi must stay
6 hours ago, Cade said:

Different cocktails of drugs work for different people.

Everybody's brain has slightly different chemistry and it can take a while to find the right mix of drugs to help balance it all out.

Ye I feel the drugs I'm on are slightly too strong. I feel emotionless and weak but at the same time I do feel abit happier.

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

No problem at all, Rudi.

It was a genuine comment, heartfelt and real.

Take care, let us know how things progress.

Morgs

Will do 

Harry Potter
5 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Ye I feel the drugs I'm on are slightly too strong. I feel emotionless and weak but at the same time I do feel abit happier.

Will do 

Always remember you are not alone, a lot of folk on here will help you, take care buddie.

Салатные палочки

I was really quite depressed over the weekend when it just hit me that life will never be the same again.  I keep hearing people saying stuff like "when this is all over" etc but in my opinion it will never be over.  This is the way of life now; random lock-downs, face masks, freedom restricted, compulsory vaccines.  It made me quite sad that my kids will never experience the freedom we did, random trips to the cinema, concerts, festivals, holiday's, just hanging about in parks.  It really upset me last week when my son, who has aspergers, said that this had been the worst summer of his life as he couldn't go to his friends' houses and now he is really anxious about his return to school on Thursday.  

The words "new normal" get banded about like it's nothing but it is a massive change to our way of life and our freedom and I can't see an end to it.  I can't understand people that can just lap it up and get on with it without even thinking for a second how much of a massive change to our lives we are going through.  

I am in no way trying to incite a debate on the C word but I am just highlighting the reason I was feeling so down. 

Listened to this interesting podcast (Rich Roll) about the importance of good diet to physical and mental health, for example 90% of serotonin -'the happiness hormone'- is produced in the gut.

TL;DR

Cut down processed foods and eat as wide as possible variety of veg.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5hY2FzdC5jb20vcHVibGljL3Nob3dzLzVkZTZjMWM5YmQ4NjBmZDUzZjk2NWUyNQ/episode/NWYyZjFkMDc5ODI5OTkzNGVhM2U3YjA1

Ron Burgundy
3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I was really quite depressed over the weekend when it just hit me that life will never be the same again.  I keep hearing people saying stuff like "when this is all over" etc but in my opinion it will never be over.  This is the way of life now; random lock-downs, face masks, freedom restricted, compulsory vaccines.  It made me quite sad that my kids will never experience the freedom we did, random trips to the cinema, concerts, festivals, holiday's, just hanging about in parks.  It really upset me last week when my son, who has aspergers, said that this had been the worst summer of his life as he couldn't go to his friends' houses and now he is really anxious about his return to school on Thursday.  

The words "new normal" get banded about like it's nothing but it is a massive change to our way of life and our freedom and I can't see an end to it.  I can't understand people that can just lap it up and get on with it without even thinking for a second how much of a massive change to our lives we are going through.  

I am in no way trying to incite a debate on the C word but I am just highlighting the reason I was feeling so down. 

I get that 100%.

6 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I think a lot of people are feeling that way, mate. And struggling to deal with the uncertainty around the future. 

Best not to look too far ahead tho. Things could change faster than you think with all this, it could be that by next summer life is more or less back to normal and we will just look back on this period as a really weird 12 months. 

On 10/08/2020 at 09:49, Salad Fingers said:

Hear you mate.  I feel the same way.

Live on my own, so I’m really toiling without day to day random interaction.  Used to only surface at weekends, but it’s all week long at the moment because I’m not in the office.  Doesn’t help that the ex is being a tit as well and I’m hardly able to see or speak to the step kids.  Didn’t even get a chance to wish them well for their first day back at school this week.  Had to wait for the Facebook photos to see them, at the same time as every other *******.  I’m absolutely gutted.

Riddley Walker
On 09/08/2020 at 19:46, Sharpie said:

Do you have many friends or family out there Bob? 

1 hour ago, Riddley Walker said:

Do you have many friends or family out there Bob? 

No my son is on the Coast he has been here as much  as he can, a good lad. We had a few friends but times changed and I only have acquaintances , basically I am alone with the memories of my wife. I keep busy with housework, walks, and shopping, life goes on, but not the pleasure it once was.  We had sixty two years of love and companionship, we done everything we wanted to do in life, I have no grounds to complain, but I am very lonely and sad, but as is said this too shall pass.

Lowest ive felt for a long time. Perhaps worse than before. Sorry for being a drama queen but actually didn't know who to turn to but jkb. How sad is that. 

Harry Potter
14 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Lowest ive felt for a long time. Perhaps worse than before. Sorry for being a drama queen but actually didn't know who to turn to but jkb. How sad is that. 

Not sad at all, have you thought about seeing a doctor for help, have you friends or family to turn to.

hisnameisdrewbusby

Folks, as admin said, I've posted in The Shed previously and here's part of what I said about The Changing Room project and how it is trying help guys talk about how they are feeling - if you don't want to read all of it, you can just pm your phone number to me and I'll give you a bell on Monday/Tuesday.

Dougie

It can be really tough to make the first step and say that you need to chat about something depression or anxiety, but anyone who’s taken part in The Changing Room project at Tynecastle will tell you that talking is easy once you start.  It really helps to get things off your chest to stop them going round and round in your head.

There are lots of ways of connecting to The Changing Room if you are needing a wee but moral support and encouragement for me and the guys who take part or if you just want some more information.  Go on, give it go – those weird thoughts in your head probably won’t go away on their own.

Phone line – 0131 603 4929 – Monday to Thursday – 10:30am to 3pm

Email – [email protected]

Zoom conference – 2/3 times per week.  Details sent privately if you ask

The Changing Room website - http://hearts.thechangingroom.org.uk/ (yes, we know the images are wee bit out of date!)

Dougie @ The Changing Room 

On 14/08/2020 at 17:50, LeftBack said:

We both turned to the same support, I had the same problem, no one really to turn to. It may be drama queen stuff, but highly emotional times just need a kind word from some where, I certainly didn't get much from neighbours, and those who sometimes claimed being a friend of my wife so like you I came to a place where I knew I would get a willing ear, and support, and I was not wrong, the people on this Forum are quick to react positively in time of need, and I sure had lots of that, and indeed lots of support. A really sincere group of people. It is not the seeking for help that is sad, it is the occurrence that created the sadness that is.

• 4 weeks later...
Captain Canada

I wanted to give this thread a bump and also an update on my own situation, in the hope it might help someone else.

I've had periods of very bad depression and anxiety on and off for around 30 years.

Earlier this year (pre-lockdown), I saw myself on a video I recorded for work and was shocked at how overweight and unhealthy I looked. I'd tried to lose weight countless times as my unhappiness with my appearance was just one of many things I didn't like about myself. 

At the end of February this year, I felt something change and embarked on another effort to lose weight but not holding out much hope. 

I've since lost over 40lbs. And as well as feeling happier generally, the process of losing weight in lockdown meant I did a fair bit of walking, cycling and climbing hills. 

Getting out into nature for at least half an hour per day has had an incredible effect on my overall mood and energy levels too. I know pills work for many people and I'm in no way criticising them, but the antidepressants I had over the years only made me feel worse. 

I've never shared this with anyone before, but at one point in my life, my depression was so bad that I couldn't even bear to listen to music. That went on for over a year. 

My weight loss and outdoor exercise have been so powerful in helping me feel like I have a purpose again. I gave up booze at the turn of the year too and don't miss it one bit. I've also stopped snoring completely and actually have some energy now when I wake up. 

None of this is meant to be a 'look at me,' type post. I wanted to share my story from this year in particular in the hope it might help at least one person to see that things can get better, even for someone like me who's suffered pretty much since High School. 

I've realised now too that I need to carry these good habits on every day to keep well. I go out in all weathers now just to be out and appreciate what's around me. 

If someone had told me last year that as a hypochondriac, I'd have got through a global pandemic and made these changes in my life at the same time, I honestly would have just laughed in disbelief. 

Just realised this post has turned into a short story! but hope someone can take something positive from it! 

Edited by Captain Canada

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

I wanted to give this thread a bump and also an update on my own situation, in the hope it might help someone else.

I've had periods of very bad depression and anxiety on and off for around 30 years.

Earlier this year (pre-lockdown), I saw myself on a video I recorded for work and was shocked at how overweight and unhealthy I looked. I'd tried to lose weight countless times as my unhappiness with my appearance was just one of many things I didn't like about myself. 

At the end of February this year, I felt something change and embarked on another effort to lose weight but not holding out much hope. 

I've since lost over 40lbs. And as well as feeling happier generally, the process of losing weight in lockdown meant I did a fair bit of walking, cycling and climbing hills. 

Getting out into nature for at least half an hour per day has had an incredible effect on my overall mood and energy levels too. I know pills work for many people and I'm in no way criticising them, but the antidepressants I had over the years only made me feel worse. 

I've never shared this with anyone before, but at one point in my life, my depression was so bad that I couldn't even bear to listen to music. That went on for over a year. 

My weight loss and outdoor exercise have been so powerful in helping me feel like I have a purpose again. I gave up booze at the turn of the year too and don't miss it one bit. I've also stopped snoring completely and actually have some energy now when I wake up. 

None of this is meant to be a 'look at me,' type post. I wanted to share my story from this year in particular in the hope it might help at least one person to see that things can get better, even for someone like me who's suffered pretty much since High School. 

I've realised now too that I need to carry these good habits on every day to keep well. I go out in all weathers now just to be out and appreciate what's around me. 

If someone had told me last year that as a hypochondriac, I'd have got through a global pandemic and made these changes in my life at the same time, I honestly would have just laughed in disbelief. 

Just realised this post has turned into a short story! but hope someone can take something positive from it! 

Great post. 

Can I ask what changed, was it the video alone or other things? 

Captain Canada
5 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Great post. 

Can I ask what changed, was it the video alone or other things? 

It was the video first but a short time later I was out walking and a question popped into my head - "Why am I overweight?" 

In my case there was no medical reason or anything, I'd just allowed it to happen. It's hard to explain but not being able to answer that properly was really powerful. From then on it felt like I had no choice but to keep going and the more I did, the better I felt. 

There was nothing else that changed in my personal circumstances or anything like that. I'd tried to lose weight so many times over the years and never managed to keep going for more than a few weeks. 

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Well done and good luck.

Well done Captain Canada, its a hellish illness.Ive been lucky not to suffer it myself but have witnessed first hand the damage it has caused family members.I have Rheumatoid disease,Osteo Arthritis, Crohns,  and gout and i would rather have those any day.

Anyone suffering depression needs and deserves as much support as possible and if you can find some respite in Kickback then brilliant.Im sure one of our Jambo family has the experience or knowledge to pass on some help.So please anyone suffering this hellish disease if you are struggling let it out on here and we will try to help.

Captain Canada
2 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

@Captain Canada that’s a fantastic weight loss to shed best part of 3 stone in a matter of months. Congratulations!

Cheers. I told myself at the start that if I could do it for one day, I could do it for as long as I needed to. Thankfully I'm now at my target weight. 

Captain Canada
59 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Well done Captain Canada, its a hellish illness.Ive been lucky not to suffer it myself but have witnessed first hand the damage it has caused family members.I have Rheumatoid disease,Osteo Arthritis, Crohns,  and gout and i would rather have those any day.

Anyone suffering depression needs and deserves as much support as possible and if you can find some respite in Kickback then brilliant.Im sure one of our Jambo family has the experience or knowledge to pass on some help.So please anyone suffering this hellish disease if you are struggling let it out on here and we will try to help.

Thank you. It's definitely helped me to post on here and get advice and support when I've needed it. 

5 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

It was the video first but a short time later I was out walking and a question popped into my head - "Why am I overweight?" 

In my case there was no medical reason or anything, I'd just allowed it to happen. It's hard to explain but not being able to answer that properly was really powerful. From then on it felt like I had no choice but to keep going and the more I did, the better I felt. 

There was nothing else that changed in my personal circumstances or anything like that. I'd tried to lose weight so many times over the years and never managed to keep going for more than a few weeks. 

Glad you are happier in life bud, and well done on the weight loss.

15 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Heartwarming and uplifting post,  CC 👍

Cracking weight loss, by the way. Make sure you keep it off!!

Captain Canada
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Heartwarming and uplifting post,  CC 👍

Cracking weight loss, by the way. Make sure you keep it off!!

Cheers Morgan. Yeah, I'm determined to. Being off the booze certainly makes it easier! 

1 minute ago, Captain Canada said:

Cheers Morgan. Yeah, I'm determined to. Being off the booze certainly makes it easier! 

Indeed, the drink has a lot to answer for.

Plenty exercise can usually combat it though.

Good luck, sir!

hisnameisdrewbusby

Great effort Captain Canada - well done.  It takes great mental strength and determination to acknowledge that we need above all to help ourselves and challenge our demons. 

Apart from the point about booze, my personal experience and that of the guys in The Changing Room project (see other thread) is that getting outside and doing a walk, a hill, or just a change scene does wonders to break up those recurring worries and negative  thoughts.  Its free and simple.  Even if you have limited mobility, get out of your seat, get out of your head and go and look at trees or waves or clouds.  I know I'm suddenly sounding like a tree hugging dafty, but just try it, keep trying it and ask yourself before and after how you feel.  If you feel better, remember that as encouragement to do it again.

Captain Canada
1 hour ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Great effort Captain Canada - well done.  It takes great mental strength and determination to acknowledge that we need above all to help ourselves and challenge our demons. 

Apart from the point about booze, my personal experience and that of the guys in The Changing Room project (see other thread) is that getting outside and doing a walk, a hill, or just a change scene does wonders to break up those recurring worries and negative  thoughts.  Its free and simple.  Even if you have limited mobility, get out of your seat, get out of your head and go and look at trees or waves or clouds.  I know I'm suddenly sounding like a tree hugging dafty, but just try it, keep trying it and ask yourself before and after how you feel.  If you feel better, remember that as encouragement to do it again.

Thank you.

I did that earlier. I had about 30 mins to do something so drove to a local hill, climbed it, admired the views, took a few photos and then came back home. Just having a different perspective for a short time can help get you out of your head as you say. 

• 5 months later...

It's a real *****, isn't it?

Out of nowhere it'll just sneak up and batter you before you even know what's happened. Especially these days.

Wishing all Jambos well as we approach one year in purgatory. We'll get through it.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, it’s not so much my depression which has been debilitating but my anxiety levels which are through the roof.  Feeling breathless with my heart racing a lot of the time, like a feeling of being in constant “fright” mode. And without fail, I have bad dreams every night which sometimes result in me waking up startled and needing to catch my breath.  It’s a horrible and very scary existence. 😩😩😩

Dagger Is Back
21 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Recently, it’s not so much my depression which has been debilitating but my anxiety levels which are through the roof.  Feeling breathless with my heart racing a lot of the time, like a feeling of being in constant “fright” mode. And without fail, I have bad dreams every night which sometimes result in me waking up startled and needing to catch my breath.  It’s a horrible and very scary existence. 😩😩😩

I hear you buddy. You having the bad dreams you? What are yours about?

My heads all over the place with this pandemic. The jag can’t come quickly enough but then I know I’ll worry about when the kids will get it.

It feels like fires are breaking out all over the shop.

1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

My heads all over the place with this pandemic. The jag can’t come quickly enough but then I know I’ll worry about when the kids will get it.

The last few nights have been about Armageddon, tsunamis, plane crashes and terrorism. Just to name a few.  It’s awful bud eh.  Not to mention the constant dreams of losing anyone and everyone important to me. 🥺

Dagger Is Back
21 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

48 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Mate it's effing horrible. I went on drugs for my illness and had a massive panic attack in asda. Literally thought attacks like that were just made up... Until I had to go to partner and plead with her to take me out store. What you are feeling isn't nice but it is more normal than you think. Stick in and pm me if you want to talk. I'm an arse but a jambo one and I can tell you of my experiences so you don't feel like you are only one going through it

Dagger Is Back
39 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

The last few nights have been about Armageddon, tsunamis, plane crashes and terrorism. Just to name a few.  It’s awful bud eh.  Not to mention the constant dreams of losing anyone and everyone important to me. 🥺

Bloody hell. I’ve had the Armageddon and plane crash. Also a weird one when we were being tracked by some people and had to try and keep the dog quiet so not to give our location away. That didn’t end well. Woke up heart pounding. drenched in sweat.

Losing anyone and everyone important resonates big time too. 

You know what pal, I reckon what you’re experiencing is very common and totally understandable given what we’re going through but also knowing you as a person.

It is awful you’re right. It’s going to pass soon and just remember that first beer ain’t gonna touch the sides.

Thank feck you and I didn’t live in prehistoric times. We’d never get out of our caves FFS!

Hang in buddy. We’ll be having a laugh and a beer soon

Honestly my heart goes out to everyone who suffers from Depression and Anxiety.

I've saw first hand what its done to my Mother and Brother

I hate loose talk from people who are maybe feeling a bit down but say they are depressed or think depression only hits certain people

Its like a bloody life sentence for the poor souls who suffer Honestly my heart bleeds for them We need to be spending lots more cash researching it.Recently fans especially Jambos donated a fortune to another club surely someone brighter and more eloquent than me could come up with a campaign for kickback and football fans to get more people talking about this horrible disease lots of our fans and family suffer from .I promise to donate a decent amount if some kind person can get something on the go

All the very best to anyone who is suffering this If anyone needs someone to talk to please PM me as I say I've saw the damage it can do

God Bless all who have been affected by it

The message I strongly want to get across... And forgive the sexism if it is that.. Is we males are terrible about talking about how we feel and that has to change. Me.. I hid (e) behind alcohol. I come on a football forum to talk about my club because I don't have anyone else to (despite having family and friends) when I had my first breakdown I actually posted on here before being taken to hospital. I'm a relatively normal guy, decent job... But my brain one day said f this...you can't cope. I take pills and had horrendous side effects. But the best thing I have done was to talk. First to a therapist (60 an hour) and then to a few mates. Family, dog, hearts. Most important things in my life. But the most important thing is me. That's why they say put the oxygen mask on you first to help others. Sort ourselves out and we can go on. Anyway. Ranting of a fool. But a jambo fool who tries his best 

17 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Bloody hell. I’ve had the Armageddon and plane crash. Also a weird one when we were being tracked by some people and had to try and keep the dog quiet so not to give our location away. That didn’t end well. Woke up heart pounding. drenched in sweat.

Losing anyone and everyone important resonates big time too. 

You know what pal, I reckon what you’re experiencing is very common and totally understandable given what we’re going through but also knowing you as a person.

It is awful you’re right. It’s going to pass soon and just remember that first beer ain’t gonna touch the sides.

Thank feck you and I didn’t live in prehistoric times. We’d never get out of our caves FFS!

Hang in buddy. We’ll be having a laugh and a beer soon

Hope your right bud, I think it’s fair to say that the past years has been an extremely difficult one for many folk. 

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Hope your right bud, I think it’s fair to say that the past years has been an extremely difficult one for many folk. 

Totally mate. Behind every door there’s a story and it’s affected individuals and families in one way or another. 

Hang in dude we’re nearly there.