Formula 1 2012 Superthread

:shitwine:

Next year is a total lottery in terms of the cars anyway as there are huge design changes in the regulations. Though most of Mercedes' problems seem to be aerodynamic.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Hamilton's perspective it's a ballsy move, a brave one given mercs lack of form, think they may have a car in 14 but probably not competitive next year. from a McLaren perspective I don't think it's good, jenson is not quick enough and Perez is not ready to be wdc, would have preferred Kimi or Kimi + Perez..

I think Perez may surprise you. But I reckon the fact he's backed by Carlos Slim, and the sponsorship that brings, helped.

Personally I'd rather McLaren sign Di Resta.

Night race in Bangkok in 2014 apparently on the cards

My link

This would be amazing.. Not been to to the F1 live since I was at Albert Park, Melbourne when Fisichella (sp?) won ..

i liked the way someone on twitter put it. paraphrasing a bit but it is like leaving man u to sign for city at the point where the new owners took over but before they became realistic contenders.

i think it is a bit of a stupid move assuming that schumi would have stayed at mercedes next year so they could have worked out some of the kinks in the new regs for next year.

Di Resta to Ferrari?

Thats the rumour at the moment.

Double blow for di Resta though. Merc and McLaren shutting the door on him. :down:

i liked the way someone on twitter put it. paraphrasing a bit but it is like leaving man u to sign for city at the point where the new owners took over but before they became realistic contenders.

i think it is a bit of a stupid move assuming that schumi would have stayed at mercedes next year so they could have worked out some of the kinks in the new regs for next year.

Thing is, Man U are still bigger than city an will always be there. Mercedes commitment to F1 is questionable. I think they need to further go out and strengthen their technical team..

Anyway forgetting merc I really hope Perez surprises me, he's quick and will be great just don't know if he's ready although I think he'll beat button

I'm really disappointed in Hamilton, he seems to have made a commercial rather than an ambitious decision, and when you have that much money anyway does it matter? Is it that his management team have fed his ego, and shown what they have done with some of their other clients. F1 and football are very different, as are the majority of the fans and investors.

While Brawn has ambition, and all it takes it would not appear that mercedes have the same commitment. I think Hamilton is an amazing driver, one of th best, but if you don't have the equipment you won't win the champioship. Ah well.... it's done now.

As a McLaren supporter, never really thought of Perez as an option for the seat, however, he could be world champion next season, or will it be Jenson? One thing is for sure I won't be putting money on Hamilton, although I genuinely hope he does well at Mercedes, he can come 4th behind the McLaren's and DiResta.

I'm really disappointed in Hamilton, he seems to have made a commercial rather than an ambitious decision, and when you have that much money anyway does it matter? Is it that his management team have fed his ego, and shown what they have done with some of their other clients. F1 and football are very different, as are the majority of the fans and investors.

While Brawn has ambition, and all it takes it would not appear that mercedes have the same commitment. I think Hamilton is an amazing driver, one of th best, but if you don't have the equipment you won't win the champioship. Ah well.... it's done now.

As a McLaren supporter, never really thought of Perez as an option for the seat, however, he could be world champion next season, or will it be Jenson? One thing is for sure I won't be putting money on Hamilton, although I genuinely hope he does well at Mercedes, he can come 4th behind the McLaren's and DiResta.

I disagree with the commercial decision bit, I get the impression he wants to be a proper number 1 driver with a chance at winning the title. I think Mercedes have persuaded him that they'll give him that, I just don't think they will win a title. I actually hope he doesn't because he's a prick :lol:

I disagree with the commercial decision bit, I get the impression he wants to be a proper number 1 driver with a chance at winning the title. I think Mercedes have persuaded him that they'll give him that, I just don't think they will win a title. I actually hope he doesn't because he's a prick :lol:

I think it is entirely commercial. A lot of which will be coming from his management, the same management who set up Beckham's deal in LA. McLaren don't allow their drivers as much leeway in personal sponsorship and endorsements as Mercedes. I'm sure "image rights" were a big part of it. Going by the reports in the press today and the interviews with Ross Brawn the number one driver guarantee was never mentioned in the discussion process.

I think it is entirely commercial. A lot of which will be coming from his management, the same management who set up Beckham's deal in LA. McLaren don't allow their drivers as much leeway in personal sponsorship and endorsements as Mercedes. I'm sure "image rights" were a big part of it. Going by the reports in the press today and the interviews with Ross Brawn the number one driver guarantee was never mentioned in the discussion process.

I'd think they'd be more likely to give him that number 1 driver status, as Rosberg won't ever challenge for a title IMO, unlike Button. Although I wasn't aware of the personal sponsorship thing with McLaren.

Apparently hulk to Ferrari strong possibility... I'll upset a lot of people on here but I do believe he's stronger than PDR

Why do you think he's stronger than di Resta?

I think they are the most evenly matched pair on the grid. Nothing in it imo.

Both been rumoured for Ferrari.

Why do you think he's stronger than di Resta?

I think they are the most evenly matched pair on the grid. Nothing in it imo.

Both been rumoured for Ferrari.

I think pdr had the legs on him early doors this season but now that he is used to the car I think hulk has more speed. I think we sometimes get carried away by PDR because he's Scottish... He's a good driver .. Very like button I'd suggest

I think pdr had the legs on him early doors this season but now that he is used to the car I think hulk has more speed. I think we sometimes get carried away by PDR because he's Scottish... He's a good driver .. Very like button I'd suggest

They both have the same amount of career races and di Resta has scored 18 more points. It's very close but di Resta has always just outperformed Hulkenberg

I think di Resta is the better qualifier and because of that he's higher on the grid than should be. Especially compared to the Hulk.

This means the faster cars around di Resta pick him off whereas the Hulk is against equal and slower cars so it looks as though he's the better racer.

Nothing in it.

In what way do you think he's like Button? Smooth or good but not great?

I think di Resta is the better qualifier and because of that he's higher on the grid than should be. Especially compared to the Hulk.

This means the faster cars around di Resta pick him off whereas the Hulk is against equal and slower cars so it looks as though he's the better racer.

Nothing in it.

In what way do you think he's like Button? Smooth or good but not great?

Smooth and good, but not a potential great..

I'd think they'd be more likely to give him that number 1 driver status, as Rosberg won't ever challenge for a title IMO, unlike Button. Although I wasn't aware of the personal sponsorship thing with McLaren.

Brawn stated no No.1 status in contract. IMO Rosberg is a very good driver, this season in a relatively poor car. It will be interesting to see Ham/Ros against each other, yhough i have to confess I think Ham will win.

Having thought about the whole Sergio Perez to McLaren situation, I'm thinking it is actually the best choice. McLaren will have both of their drivers with reputations of being easy on tyres, instead of what they have now with Hamilton hard on tyres and Button easy on them. I would assume it will benefit their car design/development not having to make the car suitable for two different driving styles.

Brawn stated no No.1 status in contract. IMO Rosberg is a very good driver, this season in a relatively poor car. It will be interesting to see Ham/Ros against each other, yhough i have to confess I think Ham will win.

IIRC Hamilton and Rosberg were on the same team in their karting days and Lewis was the better driver then.

Schumacher confirms he'll retire (again) at the end of the season - no surprise there.

Also, Hamilton states that he is moving because Mercedes offer was more money exciting than McLaren's.

rossthejambo

Not overly surprising, he's not been as successful as he thought he would be and his reactions have been shown up as being nowhere near as good as they used to be in a few races.

As for Hamilton, I take back what I said before, the more I hear him speak about it the more it becomes apparent it's all about the dosh. Glad to see my impeccable judge of character when he first came on the scene of being a prize welt has been proved correct again.

kingantti1874

Ross, apparently he was offered more at Mclaren at the end of the day altgough was initially offered a cut..the biggest contract in f1aparently...

Fair doors to the boy, I understand why he wants to move, gonna have to get used to not liking him very much ..

Still very inderwhelmed by mclarens driver pairing for next season, Perez and button are very boring ... No longer the tortoise an the hare, 2013 will be the tortoise and the tortoise... Would have loved to see kimi come back.. One of my all time favourite drivers and he had unfinished business at Mclaren ...

rossthejambo

Personal sponsorship will go through the roof though will it not?

Disagree about McLaren though, I like Perez and think he'll do a very good job next season for McLaren if they can give him a decent car.

kingantti1874

judging from what I've read I think he was pissed at being offered a cut, I don't think Mclaren seriously thought he'd go to merc ...

Could be a savvy move from him, the new 2014 rules are going to massively reduce dependency on good aero according to scarbs - it will be much closer to an engine series rather than an aero series... Given the engine manufactures will have much much more hands on time with the new units he could be well placed...

I think button and Perez will challenge also but only because Mclaren will produce and evolution o this years car which will be at or near front ... But best 3 drivers are Hamilton, vettel, alonso (not in any order) and its disappointing for me that none of them will drive the chrome cars

I think Perez has the potential to be a great signing for McLaren. He has overachieved with a very average Sauber car, and has come closer to winning than he had any right to - both times he finished on the second step were races he probably would have won if he had about 3 more laps. Time will tell if he'll be able to make the step up.

He also seems pretty level headed - McLaren have had their fair share of moody bassa's in recent years with Hamilton, Alonso and especially Montoya.

kingantti1874

To be honest though the three races where Perez has done well were the tracks where the saubers and Perez freakish kindness on the tires were most evident.. That's not to say he is not a good driver, far from it - he has shown great consistency, is calm and a good racer and as you say level headed, but what he has never shown is blistering pace, never blown away anyone in the same car ... Hope I'm proved wrong

The thing for me is Ferrari had an option, and chose not to use it... I.e. they didn't think it was worth replacing massa with him..

I suspect an additional motivator for Mclaren is his links to Mexican telephone network Telmex ... Given Vodafone are entering their final year as title sponsor.

2013 will be the tortoise and the tortoise...

Albeit one of the tortoises is a former world champion with 14 race wins to his name.

kingantti1874

Albeit one of the tortoises is a former world champion with 14 race wins to his name.

Listen I like Jenson but he was in a rocket ship of a car in 09.. Nearly 2 secs a lap faster until race 8... Then what happened? I don't think I've ever heard any f1 pundit put in him the same bracket as the other 3... He could win the championship again.. But he most likely will not

quote name='milky_26' timestamp='1349462115' post='3188612']

remember to make your predictions as qualifying is on during the night

At night in singapore, Quali is 14.00 uk time, race 13.00 on Sunday.

Race times

At night in singapore, Quali is 14.00 uk time, race 13.00 on Sunday.

Race times

Singapore was the last race - it's Japan this weekend. Qualifying starts at 6am , I think.

I've been working this morning and recorded it.

What are the penalties for? Hulk got into the top 10 but starts 15th e.g?

Any help?

I've been working this morning and recorded it.

What are the penalties for? Hulk got into the top 10 but starts 15th e.g?

Any help?

button and hulk both got penalties for gearbox changes

button and hulk both got penalties for gearbox changes

I knew Buttons penalty but knew nothing about the Hulk.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Totally forgot about the early qualifying (uk time) and have missed my predictions for the 2nd week in a row :lol:

kingantti1874

Totally forgot about the early qualifying (uk time) and have missed my predictions for the 2nd week in a row :lol:

I switched to vettel pole last week, woke up at 5 am and changed mind ffs

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Vettel strolled that and Alonso out at first corner.

Vettel now only 4 points behind in Championship.

Vettel looks favourite now, must be one of his easiest wins. Hamilton is out of the running, between Alonso and Vettel now I think.

Bloody typical trying to avoid the F1 result today so that I can watch it later and it gets announced on the Radio - not happy - but thats the Championship blown wide open now. Looking forward to Korea next week.

Is that on Sky or is it on the beeb?

A rare podium for Massa - he's picked up at the right time.

The title is on a knife-edge now.

My predictor this week looks like I'll be in freefall.

I'm scared to look. :lol:

What about Grosjean? He's had 20 F1 starts and been involved in 11 1st or 2nd lap incidents. :down:

Will Lotus sack him?

Korea Grand Prix time, Hamilton fastest in first practice! Second practice underway...

I'll be there this full weekend, look out for Scottish flags hanged on the front on the main pit straight grandstand on Saturday, and on turn 1 on Sunday :thumbsup:

Hoping for Di Resta and Button to put in a good performance. Think Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren will be close this weekend.

Going for a top 5 of:

1)Hamilton

2)Vettel

3)Alonso

4)Button

5)Webber

Archived