Formula 1 2012 Superthread

:shitwine:

Sure we will agree to disagree..Hamilton would be leading this world championship at a canter if it were not for Mclaren screw ups, I agree overall that alonso at this stage of his career is#1 but don't forget Hamilton beat him as a rookie .. So has the speed..

Button can only win in a car which is a step in front of the opposition and is balanced perfectly .. He can't drive around problems, I don't think anyone could ever categorise him as one of the elite.. Good yes, great? No

Di resta will never get the choice to go to Mclaren, same as button good yes.. Great no.. I wish he was the quickest in f1 but I've seen nothing to suggest it..but he's a good driver a carries himself well..WC contender -can't see it.. Got beaten by Sutil, and now getting beat by hulk...

Hamilton hardly beat Alonso. They were tied on points and Alonso didn't have the backing of the team from Hungary.

I agree about Button. A good but not great driver.

di Resta was a rookie last season. He got beaten in the end but not by much. Same with this season. di Resta has the edge in qualifying and the Hulk has just overtaken him in the points. Plenty of time to get ahead again. :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a bit of a Hamilton fan, but I also think Button is a fantastic driver. Every dirver to an extent needs the car balance to match their individual skill set, you are talking hundredths of a second a lap on occasions, and tenths frequently to make the difference. I am not a big Alonos fan, but at the moment it appears to me that he is the man with the most adaptable skill set, he can bring home a second rate car. We are spoilled with great drivers just now: Alonso; Hamilton; Vettel; Raikkonen are all in the top notch bracket, Button arguably is tere with them. Not far behind are Weber, DiResta, Rosberg and a few others. IMO Schumacher is and always has been overated, getting his status with cars which were better than everybody elses by a long shot, getting every dodgy decison going, and basically cheating (e.g. parking his car on the bend at Monaco during qualiying, running Hill off the track, etc). I doubt if Schumacher was ever as good as the top guys today. Senna - now there was a guy who would relish the great drvers today.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Not much of a suprise but Mercedes looked mighty quick in the first practice session earlier. Shumacher was fastest and Rosberg third fastest.

IMO Schumacher is and always has been overated, getting his status with cars which were better than everybody elses by a long shot, getting every dodgy decison going, and basically cheating (e.g. parking his car on the bend at Monaco during qualiying, running Hill off the track, etc). I doubt if Schumacher was ever as good as the top guys today.

Well there's an utter pile of baws if ever I've read it. Yes his tactics could be a bit dodgy but I don't think anyone who knows the sport has ever disputed his ability.

Well there's an utter pile of baws if ever I've read it. Yes his tactics could be a bit dodgy but I don't think anyone who knows the sport has ever disputed his ability.

you obviously rate yourself as knowing the sport. There have numerous debates about Schumacher's ability. He was lucky to race when he did and have the car he did and a team that would not allow his team mate to beat him. Alonso, Hamilton, Senna, for example won in competition with team mates and against more competitive cars.

Schumacher now has obviously lost his magic, and does not have the best car. I'm not disputing her was a great driver, I just don;t believe he is as great as the likes of you do, and i do not believe if he had had any of the top drivers of today as competitive team mates he would be quoted the way he is.

What is your opinion of his ability against the current crop of top divers?

you obviously rate yourself as knowing the sport. There have numerous debates about Schumacher's ability. He was lucky to race when he did and have the car he did and a team that would not allow his team mate to beat him. Alonso, Hamilton, Senna, for example won in competition with team mates and against more competitive cars.

Schumacher now has obviously lost his magic, and does not have the best car. I'm not disputing her was a great driver, I just don;t believe he is as great as the likes of you do, and i do not believe if he had had any of the top drivers of today as competitive team mates he would be quoted the way he is.

What is your opinion of his ability against the current crop of top divers?

I'm no Schumacher fan but he is one of the best ever.

He had it all. Pace, racecraft and evilness. :lol:

I'd rate only Clark and Senna ahead of him. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't say I was an expert but I have been watching the sport for many years and have a keen interest in the history of it. I do rate Schumacher as one of the best drivers of all time. The best car argument falls a bit flat as drivers like Mansell and Hill had the best cars by a country mile when they won championships, it is often the case. Very few drivers have won the championship in a car that was weak. There were several very good drivers around when Schumacher was winning things. Hakkinen being the prime example. People like Coulthard won many Grand Prix as well. I still think he would have won the championship if he had been allowed to by McLaren. Team orders have always existed in F1 and always will. One notable exception being McLaren when Prost and Senna were there. Schumacher in his prime against the current drivers would have won races no doubt about that and would have been winning championships as well. Sadly in this country he is always seen as the big bad bogeyman because of his issues with Hill and people denigrate his ability because of that.

I wouldn't say I was an expert but I have been watching the sport for many years and have a keen interest in the history of it. I do rate Schumacher as one of the best drivers of all time. The best car argument falls a bit flat as drivers like Mansell and Hill had the best cars by a country mile when they won championships, it is often the case. Very few drivers have won the championship in a car that was weak. There were several very good drivers around when Schumacher was winning things. Hakkinen being the prime example. People like Coulthard won many Grand Prix as well. I still think he would have won the championship if he had been allowed to by McLaren. Team orders have always existed in F1 and always will. One notable exception being McLaren when Prost and Senna were there. Schumacher in his prime against the current drivers would have won races no doubt about that and would have been winning championships as well. Sadly in this country he is always seen as the big bad bogeyman because of his issues with Hill and people denigrate his ability because of that.

The best car argument is very strong, to the extent you demonstrate it too. No driver could win a championship in a weak car, but arguably Alonso won it with Renault, not being in the best car, and currently Alonso leads the WC, clearly not in the best car. I think DC perhaps made an early mistake in his McLaren career allowing MH to win a race in Oz because of a first corner agreement. I agree Schumacher in his prime would win races, and maybe championships against the current crop, but not nearly as many as he did. The Schumacher career with Flavio Briatori, Brawn, Todt, etc at Benneton is an interesting piece oh history.

di Resta getting a 5 place grid drop for changing his gearbox. :down:

Should still qualify ahead of the Hulk though as it looks as though he's lost his gears. :thumbsup:

Questioning Schumacher's greatness aye? :lol:

Looking forward to today, with Alonso in 10th, should be an interesting race. Monza's a brilliant track as well.

Quite an exciting start.

Rosberg having a piss poor start as per.

Alonso to finish on the podium at least, I reckon.

Think that was Senna's fault, he should have pulled out the move. Just about took Webber out when he came back out on the track too.

I get the feeling we'll hear Rob Smedley informing Massa that Alonso is faster than him before long.

Button out :arry:

Smedley never sounds very happy giving out the veiled team orders, and as predicted Alonso passes Massa.

Medley asking Massa to slow down to 'preserve his tyres', then he barks at him that he needs to 'pick up the pace', conveniently after Alonso passes him.

Ferrari are as subtle as a brick.

Medley asking Massa to slow down to 'preserve his tyres', then he barks at him that he needs to 'pick up the pace', conveniently after Alonso passes him.

Ferrari are as subtle as a brick.

It's mental really when they've allowed team orders now :lol:

Perez past Alonso into 2nd. Would love Perez to get a win.

Great drive from Perez, and was about 3 laps away from catching Hamilton. Great race from Massa as well, which might (but probably won't) help with contract negotiations.

Raikkonen still keeping in touch in the Championship - it would be funny if he could win it without winning a race.

Great drive from Perez, and was about 3 laps away from catching Hamilton. Great race from Massa as well, which might (but probably won't) help with contract negotiations.

Raikkonen still keeping in touch in the Championship - it would be funny if he could win it without winning a race.

Perez was flying.

Would he have won if they pitted him a few laps earlier than they did?

This podium interview has made the crowd go absolutely mental :lol:

Alonso is playing the crowd like Hulk Hogan in his prime.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

This podium interview has made the crowd go absolutely mental :lol:

Alonso is playing the crowd like Hulk Hogan in his prime.

:lol:

kingantti1874

Hamilton doesn't exactly look/sound like someone who's going to be at McLaren next year.

I think Kenny he'd leave if there was a seat at rbr or Ferrari, I don't think he'll leave for Mercedes, they can't build a car which will win consistently

29 for me, getting Hamilton as pole and winner saved me because the rest of my picks were woeful. Still top though :thumbsup:

25% and 29 points. Would have been worse but Rosberg obliged me by firing in the fastest lap of the race near the end. I had Alonso down for most places gained but Perez blew that for me with his performance in the last few laps.

Reports coming through of Sid Watkins passing today. :down:

R.I.P

A terrible shame if true. His autobiography is a great read if you can find a copy.

A terrible shame if true. His autobiography is a great read if you can find a copy.

Not confirmed anywhere yet but I'm hearing it from people who I wouldn't doubt.

I might buy that. He'll have some stories to tell.

Not confirmed anywhere yet but I'm hearing it from people who I wouldn't doubt.

I might buy that. He'll have some stories to tell.

I'm not sure if it is still in print. I found a copy in a second hand book shop. I'd pass it on to you but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm not sure if it is still in print. I found a copy in a second hand book shop. I'd pass it on to you but I can't find it anywhere.

Typical eh?

I'd wager one of my mates will have it.

Barrichello tweeting the news. Sadly looks true.

Sid Watkins passing away is a great loss, the man is an F1 legend, never heard anything but adulation and respct about him from people involved in the sport. Be good if SKy could do a Legends episode about him.

Sid Watkins passing away is a great loss, the man is an F1 legend, never heard anything but adulation and respct about him from people involved in the sport. Be good if SKy could do a Legends episode about him.

Very true. :thumbsup:

Did you know he lived in Kelso?

Yeah. For years on one of the big houses that back onto the Tweed.

One of my mates done work for him. Said he was a really nice guy.

Archived