Paterson at Cardiff ( merged )

kila

53 minutes ago, WageThief said:

A problem is that there isn't anyone we've developed that is close to Paterson in terms of talent, hard work, and physical build (which may also be as a result of hard work).  Certainly not combined.  We've not had anyone I can think of since Gordon that has the same potential.  For an outfield player, I think you are having to go back to Naysmith.  I am probably missing a few but scouts are hardly going to think we've got a bunch of Patersons kicking about now.  They'll know we have loads of Smiths though. ;-)

When players are so good for us it always makes me potentially deluded, but I'd almost be disappointed if he doesn't either get promoted with Cardiff and establish himself as a EPL regular - or leave them for 10m+.  Even if he does poorly at Cardiff and they sell him to a worse Championship team the fee would be a couple of million.

10 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Conveyor Belt, are you having a laugh?

I am not for a second saying that we have anyone at Patersons level just now but we are developing some very good youngsters right now. By the time Cardiff sell him clubs will start to look at where he came from. Rightly or wrongly having a proven academy graduate will attract more interest. At this time these youngsters will have more first team exposure and hopefully will start to bring some cash into the club.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Kiwidoug

• kila

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suppose if we can get to the point of producing a few Paterson-level players, even just one or two a season, scouts will be watching anyway as we'll pumping everyone aside from Celtic.  Hat-tricks at Ibrox and all sorts of stuff.

2 hours ago, WageThief said:

A problem is that there isn't anyone we've developed that is close to Paterson in terms of talent, hard work, and physical build (which may also be as a result of hard work).  Certainly not combined.  We've not had anyone I can think of since Gordon that has the same potential.  For an outfield player, I think you are having to go back to Naysmith.  I am probably missing a few but scouts are hardly going to think we've got a bunch of Patersons kicking about now.  They'll know we have loads of Smiths though. ;-)

When players are so good for us it always makes me potentially deluded, but I'd almost be disappointed if he doesn't either get promoted with Cardiff and establish himself as a EPL regular - or leave them for 10m+.  Even if he does poorly at Cardiff and they sell him to a worse Championship team the fee would be a couple of million.

Personally don't think he's the greatest footballer we've produced . Think we could all point out flaws in his game .

What he does have is attitude in spades , on and off the pitch .

His physicality is , clearly , no accident . He has worked his arse off to get where he is . 

I appreciate the Walkers , Nicholsons , Kings etc are naturally different builds but if they had worked on their strength and conditioning like Paterson they would be serious players .

2 hours ago, Bozi said:

I am not for a second saying that we have anyone at Patersons level just now but we are developing some very good youngsters right now. By the time Cardiff sell him clubs will start to look at where he came from. Rightly or wrongly having a proven academy graduate will attract more interest. At this time these youngsters will have more first team exposure and hopefully will start to bring some cash into the club.

We will see and I hope you are correct and am not convinced yet.

A conveyer belt doesn't mean a steady stream of potential £20m players like Paterson. It means a steady stream of prospects, and hopefully once every five years or so a real gem comes through.

I think the club deserves credit for developing Walker, Nicholson, both Kings, Holt, and a range of others, none of whom are Paterson's level but all of whom are professional footballers. That's in addition to players like Carrick, McHattie, and Beith who had a lot of promise but got derailed by injuries and never quite recovered.

And yes, Paterson worked his arse off, but he also walked into a game against Liverpool at Anfield at 17 and made a positive difference. He was rare at that age.

Should be a shoe-in for RB with Scotland for as long as he's fit. We have no-one else like him in terms of physicality, spirit, aerial and goal threat from defence/midfield and goal celebrations.

Edited by socrates82

9 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

A conveyer belt doesn't mean a steady stream of potential £20m players like Paterson. It means a steady stream of prospects, and hopefully once every five years or so a real gem comes through.

I think the club deserves credit for developing Walker, Nicholson, both Kings, Holt, and a range of others, none of whom are Paterson's level but all of whom are professional footballers. That's in addition to players like Carrick, McHattie, and Beith who had a lot of promise but got derailed by injuries and never quite recovered.

And yes, Paterson worked his arse off, but he also walked into a game against Liverpool at Anfield at 17 and made a positive difference. He was rare at that age.

Outshone a certain Raheem Sterling.

7 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Personally don't think he's the greatest footballer we've produced . Think we could all point out flaws in his game .

What he does have is attitude in spades , on and off the pitch .

His physicality is , clearly , no accident . He has worked his arse off to get where he is . 

I appreciate the Walkers , Nicholsons , Kings etc are naturally different builds but if they had worked on their strength and conditioning like Paterson they would be serious players .

Agree with a lot of this.

In terms of physique, when Tottenham turned up at Tynecastle that really showed up.

The build of every of every Spurs player made our lads look scrawny and nowhere near as athletic.

Callum does have this, whether Cardiff will play him as RB remains to be seen. He has left a massive hole in our team.

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Callum starts in tv game at Nottingham Forest now on 

Another signing from Scotland not in Forest squad

It’s not on Tv is it.  What channel is it on.

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, Captain Bubblebeard said:

Only 12/1 for next scorer. His threat still recognised by the bookies despite his change of club.

Hes had had their only shot of the game so far. Played right midfield last week I think.

Captain Bubblebeard
Just now, scott herbertson said:

Hes had had their only shot of the game so far. Played right midfield last week I think.

Ah, ok. Makes sense. I know he was always about our best chance of a goal despite being RB so his odds always reflected that but thought they’d be a bit more generous if he was RB at Cardiff, at least until he started replicating his goal scoring form for them. Makes more sense if he is further forward though. 

Cumdog never made the bench.  Stokesey never made the bench and has black eye.

Oh Hibs.

Meanwhile CP plays a blinder.

Miss him badly. Interested to know though how much Jamie Brandon models his game on Paterson.

Physically, 2 totally different players, but the way Brandon likes to go forward and whip crosses in reminds me of Paterson a little.

alwaysthereinspirit
8 minutes ago, Locky said:

Miss him badly. Interested to know though how much Jamie Brandon models his game on Paterson.

Physically, 2 totally different players, but the way Brandon likes to go forward and whip crosses in reminds me of Paterson a little.

Whips crosses in? I must have been in the bathroom for that one.:P

2 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Whips crosses in? I must have been in the bathroom for that one.:P

'Whips' being in a general sense of crossing, not necessarily with pace. :lol:

For those that know Twitter this is indeed now on Callum's profile. But his main picture on Twitter profile is still him in a Hearts strip 

See @Callump7 or search 'Callum Paterson twitter'

Its this picture 

IMG_20171130_222027.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

Special Agent Dale Cooper
3 hours ago, sassenach said:

Not really the thread for this, but I don't want to start one about Cummings.

I suspect part of the reason he isn't kicking on much down here is that he's more interested in working on his tattoos than working on his game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5059517/Jason-Cummings-plots-new-Joker-tattoo-celebration.html

'The Joker does the smile and I'm a big fan. It's just his character. He's a bit like me.'

DCEUs-Joker-Jared-Leto.png

Edited by Special Agent Dale Cooper

alwaysthereinspirit
13 hours ago, Locky said:

'Whips' being in a general sense of crossing, not necessarily with pace. :lol:

He looks like he'll get better. He certainly does not lack confidence. More game time and he'll play with less worries. Kids coming in are always worried one mistake will see them dropped back down. Don't think that's Leveins way. My problem is I only get to see games on HW so I don't always see players positioning when they're not involved. Its tough to critique someone not always on the screen.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Cardiff play at home to Norwich tonight though its not on tv

Presume its been moved as Wales play rugby tommorrow 

12/1 first goal. 4/1 anytime.

Was expecting better prices to be honest

August Landmesser
2 hours ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

'The Joker does the smile and I'm a big fan. It's just his character. He's a bit like me.'

So.... Cummings sees himself as resembling a psychopathic rapist and murderer eh?

I do not think Cumdog has read Batman as deeply as perhaps he should have...

4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

So.... Cummings sees himself as resembling a psychopathic rapist and murderer eh?

I do not think Cumdog has read Batman as deeply as perhaps he should have...

I don't think JC has read much in general

August Landmesser
Just now, kila said:

I don't think JC has read much in general

He could just look at the pictures - they would still give a flavour of the Joker's 'charms'....

15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

For those that know Twitter this is indeed now on Callum's profile. But his main picture on Twitter profile is still him in a Hearts strip 

See @Callump7 or search 'Callum Paterson twitter'

@Callump7?  What happened to Dr Funk?  :(

5 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

2-1 up so a bit more acceptable.  CP still on the bench though.

Mad Warnock oot.

He saw my post and brought him on.

Brilliant Warnock in.

Maroon Sailor

Actually pleased to see a penalty like that saved. Cardiff guy tried to be smart and tap it down the middle but the goalie never moved

Cardiff 3-1 Norwich - Lawson greeting in to his Fray Bentos pie

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

He seems to be finding his stride really well down there. 

Always on the look out for the Cardiff score now. 

Me too.  I think that him now scored 1 and set up 3.  Not a bad return for the limited time he's played for them so far.

50 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Me too.  I think that him now scored 1 and set up 3.  Not a bad return for the limited time he's played for them so far.

Plus a hat trick in a reserve game.

When he goes to Barcelona the fee to us will pay for the new stand.

Top man.

I think his success is down to self belief and hard work. More skillful players than him wouldn't have scored the other night when he tackled/banjoed/buried the ball in the net with one movement. We still haven't replaced him.

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Actually pleased to see a penalty like that saved. Cardiff guy tried to be smart and tap it down the middle but the goalie never moved

Cardiff 3-1 Norwich - Lawson greeting in to his Fray Bentos pie

Out of interest how did Lawson get to have his 40k worth of posts deleted?