Paterson at Cardiff ( merged )

kila

Bazzas right boot

Again with the technically limited. He scored a very high number of very technical - i.e. incredibly well struck - goals or headers for us. As a defender his technical ability is fine. If Alan Hutton can have a decent career at the highest level in England Calum can. If he had more technical ability - I assume you mean ball control, passing, dribbling - he'd be a winger or striker.

His first touch, passing and awareness ( intelligence) are what will keep him back imo.

It might not, he has many fine attributes and is young enough to improve.

Compared to other full backs we've been blessed with tosh, naysmith, Wallace even frail I think Paterson is limited in certain areas that would hold him back from top epl club level. Even now Robertson/ Tierney highlight what Paterson is missing.

Cp is still a good player and extremely effective and will get another big move imo, just not to the bigger clubs.

He'll still do very well.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Kiwidoug

• kila

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Again with the technically limited. He scored a very high number of very technical - i.e. incredibly well struck - goals or headers for us. As a defender his technical ability is fine. If Alan Hutton can have a decent career at the highest level in England Calum can. If he had more technical ability - I assume you mean ball control, passing, dribbling - he'd be a winger or striker.

Hutton went to Spurs for ?8m before money went seriously stupid. ?10m for a average championship player can happen easily.

Ross McCormack (albeit a striker) has went for ?10m + a number of times and he is bang average.

If Paterson does well 5-8m is easily achievable.

Hutton went to Spurs for ?8m before money went seriously stupid. ?10m for a average championship player can happen easily.

Ross McCormack (albeit a striker) has went for ?10m + a number of times and he is bang average.

If Paterson does well 5-8m is easily achievable.

Ross McCormack. It really does highlight how difficult it is for a club like us to bring in a top forward nowadays, when Ross ****ing McCormack goes for that kind of wedge.

Ross McCormack. It really does highlight how difficult it is for a club like us to bring in a top forward nowadays, when Ross ******* McCormack goes for that kind of wedge.

He was a really good player at one point, scored goals for fun down there at Championship level so no surprise teams chasing promotion were spunking millions on him. He's always had great ability but I think his attitude and dedication has held his career back.

He was a really good player at one point, scored goals for fun down there at Championship level so no surprise teams chasing promotion were spunking millions on him. He's always had great ability but I think his attitude and dedication has held his career back.

Not denying any of that. I agree he is a decent player. Ten million quid however... that's the vast majority of our stadium development. If we had signed him at his peak, he would have been a great player for us, but it would not be ten million well spent and it would not be money recouped.

Not denying any of that. I agree he is a decent player. Ten million quid however... that's the vast majority of our stadium development. If we had signed him at his peak, he would have been a great player for us, but it would not be ten million well spent and it would not be money recouped.

My point is that promotion to the Premier League is the be all and end all down there so clubs are willing to spend big on a proven goalscorer at that level to help them reach the promise land.

It's like Boro signing that boy Assombalonga for 14 million quid this season, Shane Long has went for 10 million + a few times, it's just the way it is down there.

On Paterson - if he recovers fully from his injury I think he can do well down there and end up going for a big fee, he has all the attributes to succeed down there and with this new 3 at the back craze he'd make a perfect RWB if he polishes up his game a bit.

Edited by RudiHMFC

Should he get back to his pre knee injury where he was a stand out performer in the backwater that is Scottish football,he will attract massive attention as he is now playing in the full glare of the English media.From now on nothing will surprise me regarding his career.

Should he get back to his pre knee injury where he was a stand out performer in the backwater that is Scottish football,he will attract massive attention as he is now playing in the full glare of the English media.From now on nothing will surprise me regarding his career.

He will also stand a chance of getting back into the Scotland team as he offers an aerial threat which Tierney and Robertson don't.

Edited by wavydavy

Expect Patterson will be getting game time this weekend,running like a puppy say's his manager.Good luck funk make it a start to remember.

Seems its a bit early

Still likely to play some more U23 games before getting into the first team squad.

Not in squad for Cardiff v Sunderland today.

His first touch, passing and awareness ( intelligence) are what will keep him back imo.

Compared to other full backs we've been blessed with tosh, naysmith, Wallace even frail I think Paterson is limited in certain areas that would hold him back from top epl club level. Even now Robertson/ Tierney highlight what Paterson is missing.

Cp is still a good player and extremely effective and will get another big move imo, just not to the bigger clubs.

Tosh, Naysmith and Wallace were all great defenders but none of them had the attacking, heading and goalscoring threat Paterson brings to a team, in addition to being a solid defender.

Really like Callum - was probably my fave player when with us. But.. hopefully Neil Warnock n his staff show him how to tackle n knock his side on efforts on the head

Bazzas right boot

Tosh, Naysmith and Wallace were all great defenders but none of them had the attacking, heading and goalscoring threat Paterson brings to a team, in addition to being a solid defender.

I agree, and time will tell.

Regarding Cameron, I've made my feelings about the guy known many a time on here but I'll say it again anyway. The guy is an absolute legend.

Put it this way. If I came home and found him in bed with the missus, I'd quietly shut the door, leave a snout and a cup of tea for when he's finished, and frame the bedsheets like some kind of perverse Turin Shroud.

You're aff yer heid.

In a good way.

Another game, his 3rd for Cardiff U23s this afternoon. 4-3 win playing with 10 men after 26 min sending off.

Edited by Mikey1874

Bazzas right boot

Regarding Cameron, I've made my feelings about the guy known many a time on here but I'll say it again anyway. The guy is an absolute legend.

Put it this way. If I came home and found him in bed with the missus, I'd quietly shut the door, leave a snout and a cup of tea for when he's finished, and frame the bedsheets like some kind of perverse Turin Shroud.

Thought you were going to go another way with that.

You seen the series, Spartacus?

Edited by Rudi'sleftfoot

Thought you were going to go another way with that.

You seen the series, Spartacus?

I have not. I'm getting the feeling though that there might be a heavy Greek theme, so to speak...

Has he played yet or still getting match fit?

Not for the first team, but has played a few u23 games in recent weeks and played 90 minutes in the last game for the first time since he came back

Bazzas right boot

I have not. I'm getting the feeling though that there might be a heavy Greek theme, so to speak...

So to speak, that would be the polite way of putting it.

Good TV series, maybe watch it, Could give you an idea if you ever come home and the Colin Cameron thing plays out!

Absolutely delighted to see he's completed a full 90minutes. Must be a relief for him to be back fighting for a first team place. Still got a bit to go before he's back to his best I'd imagine but I'm sure he'll get there in the end. Onwards and upwards Callum.

The difference between Paterson and a lot of other Scots who've played down south is the attitude.  Paterson has a real winners attitude and a drive that others who've went did not.  You need self confidence and maybe even some arrogance to make it down south.  I believe Callum will kick onto the next level once he gets a run of games in the first team. 

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/big-callum-paterson-interview-defender-13689509

"The ball was probably going to go out for a throw in and we?re 1-0 up in a nothing game."

This bit stuck out for me.  

Cheers for posting that

Nightmare of a site, so for anyone else, here's the text:

--

The big Callum Paterson interview as defender opens up on horror injury, his African roots and being Cardiff City's forgotten man

The Scot opens up on his horror injury with former club Hearts

Tuesday night was a special one for Cardiff City, an indication of what might just be possible from Neil Warnock?s men.

For one of that group, that night was even more significant ? and it had nothing to do with the Bluebirds? statement-making win over Leeds.

In fact, Callum Paterson is all too aware he?s had very little to do with the early season form that has seen talk of promotion buzz about the city and among the fans.

?They?ve probably never heard of me,? laughs the Scot on his status as Cardiff?s forgotten man.

Only he?s not been forgotten, not by Warnock who is standing by his summer belief that he pulled off a coup when he landed the 22-year-old from Hearts on a Bosman.

The veteran manager has often repeated his assertion and excitement about the Scotland international having what it takes to be a big Bluebirds favourite and able to quickly justify the ?400,000 compensation paid and the wait for him to recover from serious knee ligament damage suffered last year.

Hence the significance of Tuesday, the date with a large red circle in Paterson?s diary - nine months exactly since an operation to reconstruct the knee after tearing his ACL and a date that?s been in his mind as much as the moment that led to it.

?Kilmarnock, the 12th minute, I?d just scored and it was ridiculous,? says Paterson as he relaxes at the club?s training ground.

?A silly injury that could have been avoided, probably, if I?d kept my wits about me.

?At the start I?d go over it in my head and there were a few sleepless nights, thinking all I?d had to do was not put my leg in the way. The ball was probably going to go out for a throw in and we?re 1-0 up in a nothing game. It was devastating.?

Such serious injuries often are, though there was added context to Paterson?s ?horrible? time when realisation of a nine-month lay-off were confirmed.

Warnock had already made clear he wanted to sign the five-cap international whose impressive SPL displays were quickly establishing himself in Gordon Strachan?s Scotland squad, while other clubs such as West Ham were being mentioned in an increasingly competitive chase for the versatile talent?s services.

?It was horrible and I thought that was me done,? he says.

?I?d been playing well and all of a sudden my world had come crashing down. That was me struggling to find a club, I thought. It was two or three days before the window started, my contract was running out and I was due to leave Hearts. I was already wondering who would be willing to wait for me to come back from a serious injury.

?I?d only just taken out my first mortgage on a wee flat and it all goes through your head, coming to the end of a contract with the kind of injury I had and all that it meant so I was like ?Oh my goodness what am I going to do??

?It would have been difficult to ask to sign again with Hearts and basically use them to get fit again.

?I was worrying I could be facing having no options but thankfully the manager was still interested and put his faith in me that I would come through this. It was just what I needed and it?s made me make sure I?ve really put the work in to come back to where I was before and repay him.?

It?s not a typical transfer. Many would steer clear of following through on a deal once the words cruciate and ligaments are mentioned.

And as the lonely road to recovery is discussed, Paterson laughs as he recalls how his girlfriend was due to travel south east Asia after completing university just weeks after the operation (?I was literally on my own for four months!?), but it seems Warnock and Cardiff?s interest joined Paterson on those first steps back.

?It meant a lot to have someone put that much faith in me,? he says.

?I?m a strong minded person ? 90% of recovery from serious injury is in the mind ? and then coming here was a big boost to the morale, seeing the club, the facilities, and how the lads have started is a massive incentive.?

As is, he says, the fact the manager is still excited about what he can add to a squad already topping the Championship.

?He was just so positive, even in the situation I was in,? says Paterson as he joins the list of players to admit the manager was a major factor in signing for the Bluebirds ahead of others.

?He was so constructive in everything he said and he seemed to care personally and knew a lot about me.

?Like I say, it makes you want to repay him and get back as soon as I can.?

Paterson isn?t putting a date on that just yet, even though the red circle passed on Tuesday, the win over Leeds coming 24 hours after completing his first full 90 minutes for the Under-23s.

It was his third appearance for the development side, admitting his first outing against Hull three weeks ago was ?horrible?.

?Don?t get me wrong, it was good to get on the pitch and I loved every minute of it ? but it was probably the worst I?ve played since I was nine,? he says.

?I was miles off the pace.?

The fact he says he has felt better and sharper with subsequent outings has been the more important thing, but is well aware that ? even after nine months out ? patience is needed now as much as ever.

?I?m not going to come back flying at 100mph ? it?s been the best part of a year so it?s going to take some time to get up to pace,? he says.

?I need more games before I can step into the real deal, I don?t want to make an idiot of myself.?

There?s no suggestion he will, quite the opposite, with plenty talking up his raw attributes as being perfect to make a major impact on the Championship.

Unmistakably Scottish accent, but born in London but with African heritage ? which is why he has a tattoo of the continent?s ?Big Five? game animals on his leg ? even console game Fifa have picked up on the fact that he?s bit of a beast with the pacey and powerful talent named as the fourth most physical player on the latest release.

One thing not quite as defined, though, is his position. Paterson has been described as anything from a full-back to a centre-back to a winger.

?I think I?ve started in every position apart from goalkeeper,? he admits.

?When I was a youngster (Paterson was 16 when he made his debut) I went into the side as right back but the club went into administration and a few players had to move on. We ended up with about three right backs left at the club so we had to mix and match positions and I was chucked up front for the season.

?I did okay and thoroughly enjoyed it; it added things to my game to seeing things from a different perspective. Gradually I dropped further and further back and I?m probably most comfortable as right-back.?

Paterson, who made 137 appearances in five years at boyhood club Hearts, says right-sided centre-back is another role he?s confident in, though says it?s right back where he?s suited most.

?I?ve played winger but I?ve got to tricks in my locker ? you?re not going to see a stepover from me, I?m a knock and run kind of guy.?

And the kind of guy Warnock can?t wait to get into his side and show his name is one worth remembering.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for posting that

Nightmare of a site, so for anyone else, here's the text:

--

The big Callum Paterson interview as defender opens up on horror injury, his African roots and being Cardiff City's forgotten man

The Scot opens up on his horror injury with former club Hearts

Tuesday night was a special one for Cardiff City, an indication of what might just be possible from Neil Warnock?s men.

For one of that group, that night was even more significant ? and it had nothing to do with the Bluebirds? statement-making win over Leeds.

In fact, Callum Paterson is all too aware he?s had very little to do with the early season form that has seen talk of promotion buzz about the city and among the fans.

?They?ve probably never heard of me,? laughs the Scot on his status as Cardiff?s forgotten man.

Only he?s not been forgotten, not by Warnock who is standing by his summer belief that he pulled off a coup when he landed the 22-year-old from Hearts on a Bosman.

The veteran manager has often repeated his assertion and excitement about the Scotland international having what it takes to be a big Bluebirds favourite and able to quickly justify the ?400,000 compensation paid and the wait for him to recover from serious knee ligament damage suffered last year.

Hence the significance of Tuesday, the date with a large red circle in Paterson?s diary - nine months exactly since an operation to reconstruct the knee after tearing his ACL and a date that?s been in his mind as much as the moment that led to it.

?Kilmarnock, the 12th minute, I?d just scored and it was ridiculous,? says Paterson as he relaxes at the club?s training ground.

?A silly injury that could have been avoided, probably, if I?d kept my wits about me.

?At the start I?d go over it in my head and there were a few sleepless nights, thinking all I?d had to do was not put my leg in the way. The ball was probably going to go out for a throw in and we?re 1-0 up in a nothing game. It was devastating.?

Such serious injuries often are, though there was added context to Paterson?s ?horrible? time when realisation of a nine-month lay-off were confirmed.

Warnock had already made clear he wanted to sign the five-cap international whose impressive SPL displays were quickly establishing himself in Gordon Strachan?s Scotland squad, while other clubs such as West Ham were being mentioned in an increasingly competitive chase for the versatile talent?s services.

?It was horrible and I thought that was me done,? he says.

?I?d been playing well and all of a sudden my world had come crashing down. That was me struggling to find a club, I thought. It was two or three days before the window started, my contract was running out and I was due to leave Hearts. I was already wondering who would be willing to wait for me to come back from a serious injury.

?I?d only just taken out my first mortgage on a wee flat and it all goes through your head, coming to the end of a contract with the kind of injury I had and all that it meant so I was like ?Oh my goodness what am I going to do??

?It would have been difficult to ask to sign again with Hearts and basically use them to get fit again.

?I was worrying I could be facing having no options but thankfully the manager was still interested and put his faith in me that I would come through this. It was just what I needed and it?s made me make sure I?ve really put the work in to come back to where I was before and repay him.?

It?s not a typical transfer. Many would steer clear of following through on a deal once the words cruciate and ligaments are mentioned.

And as the lonely road to recovery is discussed, Paterson laughs as he recalls how his girlfriend was due to travel south east Asia after completing university just weeks after the operation (?I was literally on my own for four months!?), but it seems Warnock and Cardiff?s interest joined Paterson on those first steps back.

?It meant a lot to have someone put that much faith in me,? he says.

?I?m a strong minded person ? 90% of recovery from serious injury is in the mind ? and then coming here was a big boost to the morale, seeing the club, the facilities, and how the lads have started is a massive incentive.?

As is, he says, the fact the manager is still excited about what he can add to a squad already topping the Championship.

?He was just so positive, even in the situation I was in,? says Paterson as he joins the list of players to admit the manager was a major factor in signing for the Bluebirds ahead of others.

?He was so constructive in everything he said and he seemed to care personally and knew a lot about me.

?Like I say, it makes you want to repay him and get back as soon as I can.?

Paterson isn?t putting a date on that just yet, even though the red circle passed on Tuesday, the win over Leeds coming 24 hours after completing his first full 90 minutes for the Under-23s.

It was his third appearance for the development side, admitting his first outing against Hull three weeks ago was ?horrible?.

?Don?t get me wrong, it was good to get on the pitch and I loved every minute of it ? but it was probably the worst I?ve played since I was nine,? he says.

?I was miles off the pace.?

The fact he says he has felt better and sharper with subsequent outings has been the more important thing, but is well aware that ? even after nine months out ? patience is needed now as much as ever.

?I?m not going to come back flying at 100mph ? it?s been the best part of a year so it?s going to take some time to get up to pace,? he says.

?I need more games before I can step into the real deal, I don?t want to make an idiot of myself.?

There?s no suggestion he will, quite the opposite, with plenty talking up his raw attributes as being perfect to make a major impact on the Championship.

Unmistakably Scottish accent, but born in London but with African heritage ? which is why he has a tattoo of the continent?s ?Big Five? game animals on his leg ? even console game Fifa have picked up on the fact that he?s bit of a beast with the pacey and powerful talent named as the fourth most physical player on the latest release.

One thing not quite as defined, though, is his position. Paterson has been described as anything from a full-back to a centre-back to a winger.

?I think I?ve started in every position apart from goalkeeper,? he admits.

?When I was a youngster (Paterson was 16 when he made his debut) I went into the side as right back but the club went into administration and a few players had to move on. We ended up with about three right backs left at the club so we had to mix and match positions and I was chucked up front for the season.

?I did okay and thoroughly enjoyed it; it added things to my game to seeing things from a different perspective. Gradually I dropped further and further back and I?m probably most comfortable as right-back.?

Paterson, who made 137 appearances in five years at boyhood club Hearts, says right-sided centre-back is another role he?s confident in, though says it?s right back where he?s suited most.

?I?ve played winger but I?ve got to tricks in my locker ? you?re not going to see a stepover from me, I?m a knock and run kind of guy.?

And the kind of guy Warnock can?t wait to get into his side and show his name is one worth remembering.

Think he's being hard on him a bit, he's a very skillful player, I mind him juggling the ball around like Sam Nicholson when he first broke through and I've seen him chuck in a step over or two

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

portobellojambo1
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Is it reasonable to think that Cardiff might be planning to use Callum in a more forward position given the three goals, or is he still being used in a right back sort of position.

BRAVEHEART1874

Was wondering when he was going to be fit after that shocking second half performance from Scotland :(

.......and to think Struna was going to be a better player than CP.:rolleyes2:

We certainly miss his contributions in defence & attack, especially his heading ability which he has displayed tonight, albeit in a reserve game.

Really hope he makes a ful recovery & continues to progress on the park

First read the topic and thought he had a hat trick on his debut in the first team.  Nonetheless, excellent news.