shaun.lawson

Harry Palmer

Glad Hendry is continuing... :thumbsup:

2yrs ago and a lot of skill required.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johndawgylt

I've lumped on Higgins at 2/1 this morning, so will be cheering him on. I think he has something to prove after all that match-fixing stuff. I hate him as a person though.

quite pleased with some correct or near answers there pot-blackson.

:verysmug:

delighted to hear hendry is giving it a go, and a full-blooded go at that.

:yas:

Got a feeling that Williams is going to win this Semi comfortably. Got a couple of quid on him winning tonights session 6-2 @ 7/1:thumbsup:

shaun.lawson

I've lumped on Higgins at 2/1 this morning, so will be cheering him on. I think he has something to prove after all that match-fixing stuff. I hate him as a person though.

Why? Apart from one horrible aberration last season, he's been a complete gent throughout his career, and is almost unbelievably down to earth. OK, OK, he's a Celtic fan - but still...

quite pleased with some correct or near answers there pot-blackson.

:verysmug:

delighted to hear hendry is giving it a go, and a full-blooded go at that.

Yep, me too. And I was also impressed with your answers, especially as most were guesses!

Incidentally, to answer your question from earlier: my parents bought me a small table when I was eight, and we upgraded to a half size table a couple of years later. I cherished that table: used to practice on it for hours and hours, and became pretty good (better than all my mates, at least). I was making 50s and 60s on it pretty regularly.

Inspired by my hero Dennis Taylor, I had my future all mapped out, and was a NAP to be World Champion by 2015. Unfortunately, at no point did I twig what an awesome step up playing on a full size table involved - and although I was OK on it, my dreams quickly evaporated, and I had to content myself with being a very good pool player instead. On holiday during my teens, the amount of opponents I'd hustle out of their stride was hilarious. :)

I still love playing pool even now. But looking back, given I never dreamt of becoming a footballer but did dream of becoming a snooker player, I can't help feeling a bit wistful. Doesn't that moment happen to all of us: when we suddenly wake up and realise that fantasy life we want for ourselves isn't going to happen after all? :(

shaun.lawson

Quality.

:)

Anyone got footage of when Ken Dohery got to 140 and missed the black for the 147.

I nearly pissed myself laughing.

I didn't! I was mortified for the guy. Poor old Ken Scarface was such a nearly man - barring one glorious world title triumph, of course.

I didn't! I was mortified for the guy. Poor old Ken Scarface was such a nearly man - barring one glorious world title triumph, of course.

Don't get me wrong, I felt bloody sorry for him but it was still hilarious.

Matthew Stevens looks so excited waiting for it to be completed, he looked in absolute shock more than even Doherty!

shaun.lawson

Don't get me wrong, I felt bloody sorry for him but it was still hilarious.

Matthew Stevens looks so excited waiting for it to be completed, he looked in absolute shock more than even Doherty!

Yes, absolutely! Growing up watching the game, whenever a possible 147 headed into its closing stages, I'd wonder to myself "what happens if someone misses the final black?" Various attempts always seemed to either succeed or go wrong before then: it's still the only time I can recall it happening.

i remember that doherty disaster. he had a look of complete shock on his own dish. thousand yard stare and seeth all rolled into one.

shaun, as you are no doubt aware the one anomaly with the so-called 'maximum' break is that it's not actually the true maximum, due to the highly unlikely '16 red maximum' that's possible.

am i right in saying that alex higgins once had a '16 red' clearance that amounted to 146 i think? one day a 148+ might just occur.

shaun.lawson

Here's two more maximums by the great man:

1. For my money, still the greatest, toughest maximum ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Hj3BUpyIE

2. For my money, because it was in the final frame of a major final in which Hendry had just seen an 8-2 lead become 8-8, still the most extraordinary, preposterous maximum ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBKH4JvJQFE&feature=related

Not, mind you, that 147 is the maximum break possible in snooker. One day, however unlikely it is, someone'll get a free ball, take a black with it, and end up making 155.

shaun.lawson

shaun, as you are no doubt aware the one anomaly with the so-called 'maximum' break is that it's not actually the true maximum, due to the highly unlikely '16 red maximum' that's possible.

am i right in saying that alex higgins once had a '16 red' clearance that amounted to 146 i think? one day a 148+ might just occur.

**** me. That's seriously spooky. We both had exactly the same thought at the same time!

:stare:

It wasn't Higgins, though. It was Steve James with that 16 red 146: still the only time it's ever happened.

**** me. That's seriously spooky. We both had exactly the same thought at the same time!

It wasn't Higgins, though. It was Steve James with that 16 red 146: still the only time it's ever happened.

:lol: dunno why i thought AH. it might happen again.

shaun.lawson

:lol: dunno why i thought AH. it might happen again.

And what I want to know is: if someone makes anywhere between a 148 and 154 in the same tournament as someone else makes a maximum, do they win the high break prize? Or not? Either way, it'd be hilarious.

And what I want to know is: if someone makes anywhere between a 148 and 154 in the same tournament as someone else makes a maximum, do they win the high break prize? Or not? Either way, it'd be hilarious.

god knows. what i would like to happen is for two concurrent 147 breaks to be on the go either side of the partition.

shaun.lawson

god knows. what i would like to happen is for two concurrent 147 breaks to be on the go either side of the partition.

:lol:

Yeah, I was thinking that the other day too! I love how the fellow players always react:

1983: Play on the other table stops, and Cliff Thorburn is engulfed by the bear hug to end all bear hugs from Terry Griffiths and Big Bill Werbeniuk. :thumbsup:

1992: Jimmy White, who I'd watched play like God that morning and knew something special was coming, has his greatest moment at the Crucible, and given a huge bear hug by opponent Tony Drago. :thumbsup:

1995: Stephen Hendry compiles an unbelievable maximum, and opponent White exchanges warm words with him which have Stephen breaking out in fits of laughter. :thumbsup:

1997: Ronnie O'Sullivan makes a maximum in five minutes flat, barely chalking his cue throughout the miracle. Upon completion, he takes one look at opponent Mick Price's hideous pus - and, er...

Mr Dundee United is wearing another DU t-shirt. the man must be a simpleton. or maybe his wife works in the DU shop.

Harry Palmer

Lawson choosing a 147 against his hero White....well, that's got to hurt...

:facepalm:

shaun.lawson

Lawson choosing a 147 against his hero White....well, that's got to hurt...

At the time, I noted that neither Thorburn in '83, or White in '92, had gone on to win the title after making a maximum - and with Hendry still on cloud nine, White closed from 8-4 to 8-7. With only Nigel Bond waiting in the final, could this finally be his chance?

Of course not. Crucially, Hendry led 13-9 at the end of three sessions rather than 12-10: had it been the latter, Jimmy might well have taken him. But in the end, it was the same old story - and a couple of days later, Hendry was picking up a cheque for ?363,000, all for just one tournament's work! Still a record, that.

Just watching the Royle family and can't help but see a bit of a lookalikey.

Dave Harold

BD7E4198B2AACC9B12B394_Large.jpg

Twiggy from Royle Family.

_52137812_80823533.jpg

Keeping half an eye on the snooker at work.

Looks like nerves are getting the better of Judd Trump a bi from what I've seen so far.

7-7.

shaun.lawson

Keeping half an eye on the snooker at work.

Looks like nerves are getting the better of Judd Trump a bi from what I've seen so far.

7-7.

I'm not sure whether the enormity of what he was doing finally hit him - or alternatively, if his extraordinary mental and physical efforts of the last month or so have at last caught up with him. There's a reason why no-one younger than 22 has ever won this. But he's just suddenly dipped out of all recognition: can he get his game back in time for what should be a pivotal third session?

Meanwhile, from 12-9 down to Stuart Bingham in the last 16, Ding has raised his level a good couple of notches - but also fed off surprising mistakes from his opponents. Is this simple good fortune - or a sign that he's beginning to develop the aura that winners of this event need?

Both Williams and Higgins should be watching this and licking their lips, mind you. Neither will give anything away if they make the final - and I'm fancying Williams' chances more and more. He doesn't lose world finals; in fact, he's only ever lost one semi-final, when he was nowhere near ready yet. The chance of matching his two great contemporaries, Higgins and O'Sullivan, beckons.

It's nigh on impossible for a player to go the whole tournament without having at least one poor session.

He might just have been a little off form. We'll know for sure what he's made of by the end of the 3rd session.

I'm not sure whether the enormity of what he was doing finally hit him - or alternatively, if his extraordinary mental and physical efforts of the last month or so have at last caught up with him. There's a reason why no-one younger than 22 has ever won this. But he's just suddenly dipped out of all recognition: can he get his game back in time for what should be a pivotal third session?

Meanwhile, from 12-9 down to Stuart Bingham in the last 16, Ding has raised his level a good couple of notches - but also fed off surprising mistakes from his opponents. Is this simple good fortune - or a sign that he's beginning to develop the aura that winners of this event need?

Both Williams and Higgins should be watching this and licking their lips, mind you. Neither will give anything away if they make the final - and I'm fancying Williams' chances more and more. He doesn't lose world finals; in fact, he's only ever lost one semi-final, when he was nowhere near ready yet. The chance of matching his two great contemporaries, Higgins and O'Sullivan, beckons.

what about hendry

Hendry :verymad:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I'm fancying Williams' chances more and more. He doesn't lose world finals; in fact, he's only ever lost one semi-final, when he was nowhere near ready yet.

Er, except 1999

shaun.lawson

what about hendry

Hendry :verymad:

Er, except 1999

Whoops! :lol:

:what::trippin:

I'm off to sit on the naughty step now. :turned:

wtf has virgo done to himself. It looks like he has been living in a chip shop and sleeping in a sunbed.

shaun.lawson

I want Clive Everton and Stephen Hendry doing the last few frames of the final. Make it happen BBC!

I want Clive Everton and Stephen Hendry doing the last few frames of the final. Make it happen BBC!

Everton is slowly being phased out by the BBC I think. Can't even remember how many days it's been since he's commentated on a match. I think they see Taylor/Virgo as the top dogs now I think.

Whoops! :lol:

:what::trippin:

I'm off to sit on the naughty step now. :turned:

All your good work on this thread undone in an instant

shaun.lawson

How has Higgins escaped 4-4 from that session?

Because he's a ******* awesome match player. And Parrott's description of it as the best session of the tournament so far is very apt. I think JP's thinking of two matches from the past there:

1. In 1992, Jimmy White - playing so well that God would've struggled to beat him - threw everything but the kitchen sink at Hendry during the third session of the final. At 14-8 up, he was home and hosed; but how Hendry managed to win the last two frames and come out of the session 4-4, I'll never know. It planted huge doubt in White's mind, and the rest was history.

2. When Parrott himself met Steve Davis in the 1991 semis, observers thought back to Davis' 18-3 annihilation of Liverpool's finest two years earlier; and a number of other occasions when Parrott had choked. But this was JP in the form of his life - and crucially, as hard mentally as Davis or Hendry at their best.

So it was that Parrott moved remorselessly into a 10-4 lead - but the following day, Davis made an almighty effort to haul him back. In that session, he played as well as at any point during his glory days - yet Parrott too emerged 4-4, and that proved decisive. Of course, the BBC pundits didn't notice: going into the final, White's coronation was assumed to be inevitable. Once again, the rest was history.

Matches over this distance are about momentum and turning points - and what Williams must not do is recall the last time he led Higgins 9-5, less than five months ago: because he lost from a seemingly unassailable position. Higgins will also be after revenge given his defeat from 14-10 and 15-11 up against Williams in 2000 ushered in a prolonged period of self-doubt and under-achievement.

Snooker is all in the mind - and 7-9 down, Higgins will feel like he's ahead. Some conclusion to this semi-final ahead tomorrow. :thumbsup:

johndawgylt

Higgins must win Shirley? Whoever wins this match will walk the final. Ding v trump match is atrocious

Higgins must win Shirley? Whoever wins this match will walk the final. Ding v trump match is atrocious

I thought the first session of the Ding/Trump match was at a lot higher standard than Higgins/Williams 1st session. This afternoons session was quality though, and even with Higgins getting a wee psychological edge, winning the last two and escaping 4-4 when he probably should and could have lost it 7-1, I sill can't see past Williams winning the match...And still fancy Ding can beat him in the final.

johndawgylt

Merse lump on Higgins! We've both toiled recently on the betting thread but this ones a certainty. All in Higgins!!

Robbo-Jambo

John Higgins should have been 11-5 down going into tomorrow but somehow sneaks a 9-7. :) Balls of steel that guy and i reckon Williams has missed a big chance today.

Think Higgins could come out and rip him a new one tomorrow. Plus ive got my dosh on him. :D

shaun.lawson

Good old Michaela Tabb. She's great. :thumbsup:

Ronnie thinks so too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u58K-JLuFRE

You can clean my balls any day of the week, Michaela. I promise to sink the pink -- and if you let me, I might even down the brown. Only if you're good, though. :woot:

Good old Michaela Tabb. She's great. :thumbsup:

Ronnie thinks so too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u58K-JLuFRE

You can clean my balls any day of the week, Michaela. I promise to sink the pink -- and if you let me, I might even down the brown. Only if you're good, though. :woot:

I've sat next to her at the poker table before. Nice lass.

shaun.lawson

I've sat next to her at the poker table before. Nice lass.

You have? Nice one! :thumbsup: In that clip, Ronnie was almost thinking "nice lass" - almost... :D

The better refs always have a bit of personality to them - like John Street or the legendary Len Ganley. Len was as much a part of the 1980s boom as any player, really. Whereas John Williams always came across like a right miserable ######: the Iain Brines of snooker. :down:

shaun.lawson

Judd Trump answering a fair few questions tonight.

Playing brilliantly.

Absolutely! I still favour Ding - even if this session ends 11-13 - but not by much. Trump's cue power is maybe the best I've ever seen: better than White or Parrott, which is really saying something.

Archived