World Snooker Championship 2011

shaun.lawson

Harry Palmer

Trump is playing some unbelievable shots.....

He's the Champ and deserved..

Interlude.... :thumbsup:

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris Benoit

Shaun you just stopped short of calling Beats a bigot for not liking John Higgins.

Im not keen on him or Dott either to be honest but a big fan of Ronnie and Williams.

Couldn't be doing with Jimmy White or Hurricane Higgins but Davis would be my all time favourite closely followed by Hendry.

It's all about personal opinions and if you were to ask me why I've come to these conclusions I honestly couldn't answer you but that doesn't mean there's a sinister motive behind it and I'm sure it's the same with Beats

Seriously? Williams is cocky, with a sense of humour that doesn't appeal to everyone; O'Sullivan is undoubtedly a ******. But Higgins? If anything, Higgins went through a prolonged period of poor form largely because he's too nice and well rounded (in more ways than one nowadays :P ): unusually so for a top sportsman.

But hey ho, we can like who we want and dislike who we want. All part of sport really. :thumbsup:

Snooker is no sport.

Shaun you just stopped short of calling Beats a bigot for not liking John Higgins.

I sensed that Chris but I couldn't care less if Shaun has that opinion of me :thumbsup:

Harry Palmer

I wanted Higgins to horse the Ramjet then I could enjoy the rest of the tournament without the Beeb love-in for The Ramjet which included text updates wondering if there was still hope for the Ramjet... Feck Off!

I thought Williams would have got through....

So my Partisan nature came to the fore, Higgins is Scottish but Trump has been playing some excellent snooker all through and will be a deserved champion...

Trump will win.

The Old Tolbooth

Snooker is no sport.

Says a fan of WWF :rofl::rofl:

On a sadder note, I've just learned that the great Ted Lowe has passed away, I'm genuinely gutted at that as he really was "Mr Snooker"!

As for the final, Trump is pulling out all the aces just now when there's no real pressure in, however will he be able to transform that into points when we get to the business end of the final? My head says no, but my heart says yes, even though I backed Higgins with a sly tenner at 6/1 at the start of the competition. (I also backed Selby at 8/1 too, and I could be trumped on both!!)

I wouldn't grudge the young lad his moment of fame though, and I have a feeling that he's going to be the new O'Sullivan, but a much more likeable one!

shaun.lawson

I sensed that Chris but I couldn't care less if Shaun has that opinion of me :thumbsup:

Good grief. I simply asked Beats what Higgins had done which is worthy of such dislike: not just from him, but many, many others. And I mentioned Celtic because, well, are Celtic fans usually popular with Hearts fans? And that's got sod all to do with religion: it's because we hate Celtic!

It says something about Scottish society that you guys arrived at such a weird conclusion about what I meant, to be honest. But apologies nonetheless: no offence was intended by my mentioning Celtic at all.

PS. I'm much more bothered by Beats' subsequent post. But that it took almost 2 weeks for a Higgins debate to happen on this thread, and even longer than that for the first "snooker is not a sport" post is quite a triumph by Kickback's usual standards. :thumbsup:

Good grief. I simply asked Beats what Higgins had done which is worthy of such dislike: not just from him, but many, many others. And I mentioned Celtic because, well, are Celtic fans usually popular with Hearts fans? And that's got sod all to do with religion: it's because we hate Celtic!

It says something about Scottish society that you guys arrived at such a weird conclusion about what I meant, to be honest. But apologies nonetheless: no offence was intended by my mentioning Celtic at all.

PS. I'm much more bothered by Beats' subsequent post. But that it took almost 2 weeks for a Higgins debate to happen on this thread, and even longer than that for the first "snooker is not a sport" post is quite a triumph by Kickback's usual standards. :thumbsup:

All I was saying is that I don't like Higgins Shaun :blink:

As for my post about Snooker not being a sport.Well I thought it would have been taken as a joke.As I meant it to be.

Says a fan of WWF :rofl::rofl:

:vrface: Can't believe you took it serious.

And it's WWE ya knob :lol:

The Old Tolbooth

:vrface: Can't believe you took it serious.

And it's WWE ya knob :lol:

I'm old school :ninja:

shaun.lawson

All I was saying is that I don't like Higgins Shaun :blink:

As for my post about Snooker not being a sport.Well I thought it would have been taken as a joke.As I meant it to be.

It would - if the same thing wasn't usually said in complete seriousness by others on here. I should've known better in your case though. :thumbsup:

As for Higgins: well, I took umbrage to the assumption of his guilt when he's actually been found innocent. You know what I can be like in debates like that! :teehee: Because I think he's innocent, I'll always have tons of respect for him; I'm fully aware many others won't, though.

shaun.lawson

How did it get to 7-7?

By Higgins doing what he's done all the way through his career: refusing to lie down, and playing unbelievably hard match snooker. It's one thing to outplay someone like Higgins at the Crucible; quite another to beat him.

By Higgins doing what he's done all the way through his career: refusing to lie down, and playing unbelievably hard match snooker. It's one thing to outplay someone like Higgins at the Crucible; quite another to beat him.

Or by getting incredibly lucky at two key moments of the last two frames :thumbsup:

Think the lad Trump will be around for a few years yet, so in that case wouldn't mind seeing Higgins win it again. Just seen that Henry Cooper has now passed away. A sad day for sport today.

shaun.lawson

Or by getting incredibly lucky at two key moments of the last two frames :thumbsup:

It can't all be explained by luck, though. It happens far, far too often in Higgins' case: it did at a similar stage of his semi-final, of course.

And great players are marked out by their ability to take advantage of opportunities: Higgins does, again and again and again. I've never seen someone better at continually clearing up from well behind in a frame - and that even includes Hendry.

8-7 to Trump now. Can he at least get some sort of lead going into tomorrow? He'll need it IMO.

Chris Benoit

So Shaun if Beats was to say he didn't like Billy Connelly and Rod Stewart you would presume it was because they are both Celtic fans?

The reason I think for me and possibly others is that Higgins has always come across as a stereotypical whiney voiced west coaster, the type of guy when spotted on TV by most decent Scots causes us to cringe, Hendry always appeared more eloquent in comparison

shaun.lawson

So Shaun if Beats was to say he didn't like Billy Connelly and Rod Stewart you would presume it was because they are both Celtic fans?

The reason I think for me and possibly others is that Higgins has always come across as a stereotypical whiney voiced west coaster, the type of guy when spotted on TV by most decent Scots causes us to cringe, Hendry always appeared more eloquent in comparison

In Connolly's case, I'd be curious as to why - Stewart is an utter arse by anyone's measure, though. :yucky: Your explanation does the job perfectly - though also suggests it's an Edinburgh/Glasgow thing, which is only natural anyway.

It can't all be explained by luck, though. It happens far, far too often in Higgins' case: it did at a similar stage of his semi-final, of course.

And great players are marked out by their ability to take advantage of opportunities: Higgins does, again and again and again. I've never seen someone better at continually clearing up from well behind in a frame - and that even includes Hendry.

8-7 to Trump now. Can he at least get some sort of lead going into tomorrow? He'll need it IMO.

Just those two frames :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

Trump is playing some very clever shots, and Higgins is playing garbage tonight, you can be rest assured that Higgins won't play as badly tomorrow when it counts, and will pick away at Trump. A nights sleep is a long time for Trump to ponder being World champion going into the second day with a lead and no experience, Higgins on the other hand will be thinking like a "grinder" and will chip away. I think this one could go all the way and I'm in for a late night tomorrow!

shaun.lawson

Trump is playing some very clever shots, and Higgins is playing garbage tonight, you can be rest assured that Higgins won't play as badly tomorrow when it counts, and will pick away at Trump. A nights sleep is a long time for Trump to ponder being World champion going into the second day with a lead and no experience, Higgins on the other hand will be thinking like a "grinder" and will chip away. I think this one could go all the way and I'm in for a late night tomorrow!

Perfect analysis, John. :thumbsup: But while these are wholly uncharted waters for Trump, and you can never be 100% sure how someone will react to being so close to something so enormous, there's been zero sign at all of him succumbing to pressure. Every time a question is asked, he responds the same natural, brilliant way.

Higgins must now win tomorrow afternoon's session. Do that, and he's right back in it; fail to do it, and he's doomed.

The Merse

Perfect analysis, John. :thumbsup: But while these are wholly uncharted waters for Trump, and you can never be 100% sure how someone will react to being so close to something so enormous, there's been zero sign at all of him succumbing to pressure. Every time a question is asked, he responds the same natural, brilliant way.

Higgins must now win tomorrow afternoon's session. Do that, and he's right back in it; fail to do it, and he's doomed.

It wouldn't be over if the next session is tied 4-4.

14-11 isn't an unassailable lead.

Higgins cannot lose the next session, but a tie wouldn't be a disaster imo.

shaun.lawson

It wouldn't be over if the next session is tied 4-4.

14-11 isn't an unassailable lead.

Higgins cannot lose the next session, but a tie wouldn't be a disaster imo.

Is it eight frames tomorrow afternoon though, or nine? It always has been eight - but day 1 always used to feature only 16 frames, and I assume they've modified it because of the very late finishes the final has had in recent years. Now that they've played nine this evening, eight tomorrow afternoon wouldn't be an even split: I can't find any info anywhere, though.

The Merse

Is it eight frames tomorrow afternoon though, or nine? It always has been eight - but day 1 always used to feature only 16 frames, and I assume they've modified it because of the very late finishes the final has had in recent years. Now that they've played nine this evening, eight tomorrow afternoon wouldn't be an even split: I can't find any info anywhere, though.

I assume 8.

That would leave a maximum of 10 frames for the night session.

shaun.lawson

I assume 8.

That would leave a maximum of 10 frames for the night session.

I think a 9-9 split is more logical - but have no idea TBH! Small things like this do make a difference in terms of momentum and psychology though.

The Merse

I think a 9-9 split is more logical - but have no idea TBH! Small things like this do make a difference in terms of momentum and psychology though.

I still reckon it'll be 8 but it's just a guess.

The Old Tolbooth

I tend to agree with you Shaun, and if Trump can blow Higgins away in this final and see it out, then I don't think there will be any stopping the lad, I think he could go on to be a superstar! However, if he loses this after being in front then I hope it doesn't mentally scar him as he has the best raw talent I've ever seen!

As for the extra frame being played today, my thought behind it was that there would be a clear leader going in after the first day to add a bit "edge" to the final, when you go to bed either leading or behind, then your mindset changes as to how you approach the following days play, although if you go in level after the first day then you'd be as well playing the final as the best of 17, I reckon it's a psychological thing, or maybe I'm reading too much into it :teehee:

It would - if the same thing wasn't usually said in complete seriousness by others on here. I should've known better in your case though. :thumbsup:

Great stuff Shaun

Hendry has always been my favourite player but I like Higgins too. If Hendry was playing Higgins I'd support Hendry 100%.

I don't really understand the dislike for Higgins. Someone like Dott is different. There's not much to dislike about him but it's not so easy to take to him as he doesn't really show a lot of emotion.

Higgins comes across as a decent guy to me. Other than the News of the World scandal, I don't really see what people would have against him.

The Old Tolbooth

Hendry has always been my favourite player but I like Higgins too. If Hendry was playing Higgins I'd support Hendry 100%.

I don't really understand the dislike for Higgins. Someone like Dott is different. There's not much to dislike about him but it's not so easy to take to him as he doesn't really show a lot of emotion.

Higgins comes across as a decent guy to me. Other than the News of the World scandal, I don't really see what people would have against him.

I'm with you re Higgins mate, I always want him to win as I think he's a likeable lad.

Mud sticks though and the News of the Scum have screwed so many peoples lives up in the past that all they care about is selling shite to gullible people, and sadly there's too many of them! Not a chance in hell that he was guilty of match fixing in my book, had there been anything in it at all then the NotW would not have made conditions around not suing them once they handed over the full tape of events, personally I'd still have went ahead and hung the gits from the highest lamp post as something needs to be done about them.

The Merse

I was a big fan of Higgins but was really taken aback by the NOTW stuff and I'm still very sceptical about his innocence.

I want Trump to win anyway as he deserves it this year.

I'm with you re Higgins mate, I always want him to win as I think he's a likeable lad.

Mud sticks though and the News of the Scum have screwed so many peoples lives up in the past that all they care about is selling shite to gullible people, and sadly there's too many of them! Not a chance in hell that he was guilty of match fixing in my book, had there been anything in it at all then the NotW would not have made conditions around not suing them once they handed over the full tape of events, personally I'd still have went ahead and hung the gits from the highest lamp post as something needs to be done about them.

Why don't you like the NOTW?

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Liverpool fans don't like the sun or it's sister paper ;-)

Thought he was a Leeds fan now :lol:

Victorian

the players took quite a while to answer the knock on their doors.

trump was cracking one off IMO. and higgins was on the phone to the bookies.

'mon judd.

edit - dundee united on show once more. :facepalm:

Harry Palmer

Trump will still win......

Edit: Scum and NotW can get tae feck.....

Tiberius Stinkfinger

shit! how was this not pieced together before?

cj-de-mooi.jpg

=

:lawson:

elliomg.png

Because your wrong...

I'm right.

daphne.JPG

= Snoreson..

Victorian

taking on the difficult blue down the rail at 12-9. this year's match defining moment.

could well be.

Higgins hasn't played anywhere near his best in any of his matches at this years championship, and yet he could be on the verge of winning his 4th title. Goes to show you how tough a match player he is.

Hopefully losing the lead will take the pressure of Trumps shoulders going into tonight.

The Old Tolbooth

I'll tell you when I see you next mate.

That didn't help, but there's a whole lot more to it than that, I can assure you, and some of it is personal.

Higgins back to his best this afternoon and I hope Trump isn't doing a Rory McIlroy here :unsure:

Archived