World Snooker Championship 2011

shaun.lawson

that Dundee Utd fan is there yet again. He was wearing that top last night also. Is it any coincidence he never seems to have anyone sitting next to him? His pits must be honking! Can't he at least wear the away strip once in a while? :D

Ding with an opportunity to go 10-6 ahead. Hope he wins as there's something about Selby gets on my tits....although it's always good when he beats Ronnie :D

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

question for lawson the pot black magazine collector...

do you or have you ever played snooker quite a bit, and are you any good?

same to all the other snookerati on here.

question for lawson the pot black magazine collector...

do you or have you ever played snooker quite a bit, and are you any good?

same to all the other snookerati on here.

Used to play with my Dad a couple of times a week, and with mates when I was younger.

Don't play too often these days, can play every week for a month or two then not play for a year.

I'd say I'm an ok player but wouldn't class myself as good.

Highest break of 35.

I'm a shit hot pool player though.

My highest break break was 33, 5 reds and 4 blacks and then missed a black off the spot which cost me my 147 :whistling: It was the easiest set up for potting 8 or 9 balls you could imagine though. Generally if I pot 4 balls in a row it feels like a match winning break :lol: Like Merse though, unstoppable on the pool table.

Ding takes a 10-6 lead. Would love to see him go on and become world champion.

used to never be off the snooker table myself. i used to have access to a really good table in a private club which i made a few good breaks on, modesty preventing me from blowing my own trumpet. can barely get a 20 now.

like you guys pool is where it's at. only on pub style tables though. american pool tables are the work of the devil.

that Dundee Utd fan is there yet again. He was wearing that top last night also. Is it any coincidence he never seems to have anyone sitting next to him? His pits must be honking! Can't he at least wear the away strip once in a while? :D

Ding with an opportunity to go 10-6 ahead. Hope he wins as there's something about Selby gets on my tits....although it's always good when he beats Ronnie :D

I mentioned him earlier in the thread. At the start of the tournament I saw him wearing a black top with a Dundee United badge so at least he changes it sometimes...

Couldn't hear the coomentary in the last frame, I take it Ronnie thought it was a free ball?

Nah it was actually Ronnie saying that it wasn't a free ball. Higgins seems to be getting a chance every single frame, think he should win this match.

The Old Tolbooth

Couldn't hear the coomentary in the last frame, I take it Ronnie thought it was a free ball?

On the contrary mate, the ref called it a free ball in favour of o'Sullivan, and O'Sullivan claimed that it wasn't a free ball and that he could see both sides of the ball, to which the ref got out his wee gadgets and more or less proved it was not a free ball, and the ref still called it as a free ball rather than admitting he was wrong, however he stated that if both players were happy that it wasn't a free ball then they could play on as such. O'Sullivan then made Higgins play the shot, and he potted the red to win the frame :lol:

Fair play to O'Sullivan however for that though, I don't like the guy but that was extremely fair of him.

This is like a heavyweight boxing match with each player slugging big punches and scoring heavily against one another, good to watch!

Gordon Ramsay

I mentioned him earlier in the thread. At the start of the tournament I saw him wearing a black top with a Dundee United badge so at least he changes it sometimes...

I seen him last year wearing a dundee united top and he sat in the exact same seat too. A man who enjoys two things in life, snooker and dundee united tops.

Fair play to Ronnie for that, remember Stephen Hendry doing something similar in his last final with Jimmy White. Some game this, great chance here for a 2 frame lead.

I've got El Classico on the telly and the snooker on the laptop :D

With Michael Buble on in the background :vrface:

Everybody loves Baz

I've got El Classico on the telly and the snooker on the laptop :D

And Linda making you something to eat in the kitchen ?

:o

The Old Tolbooth

With Michael Buble on in the background :vrface:

But of course :D

And Linda making you something to eat in the kitchen ?

:o

Hell no!! I value my life!! :ninja:

selby then asks for the black to be cleaned when he's not even on it. ******.

Dings wins frame and Selby and his gamesmanship are OOT! Very pleasing night.

It's about time Ding put in a good performance at the Crucible. Can't remember him ever playing anywhere near his best there. He is due to play Selby in the quarters and fancy the winner of that to go on and win the tournament.

?10 Ding 8/1

?5 Selby 6/1

So Ding is the next World Champion then :thumbsup:

Ding 17 vs 14 Trump

Williams 17 vs 12 Higgins

I'll go with Dott, Selby, Williams and O'Sullivan - and Selby beating Williams in the final. :thumbsup:

Well, one out of four ain't bad.

:rolleyes:

shaun.lawson

Well, one out of four ain't bad.

:rolleyes:

Aha - but check my initial preview in my OP. :P:D

Higgins has had the bit between his teeth ever since his return. He has a reputation to re-make, and will take some stopping.

:thumbsup:

Williams - a shadow of his former self for several seasons until the last year or two - is just quietly going about his business, and knows how to win here. At his best, I still believe he's just as talented as O'Sullivan.

Robertson has the Crucible curse to overcome: but enters the event with no form at all, and has a nightmare first round opponent in Judd Trump, a star of the future: an upset looms there.

And Ding, who I'm tipping (I have him beating Williams in the final), has the talent - but does he have the nerve to win in Sheffield, a venue so unlike any other in the game?

I even went against all prevailing wisdom, and suggested O'Sullivan, despite the shocking state he's been in over recent times, shouldn't be written off. I'm delighted with all the above: which means my Crucible Contest (a prediction game I play every year, in which we predict all matches before the tournament begins) position must be very good. It's just that, me being me, I tried to cover myself before the last eight, because I just didn't think Ding was playing well enough. Wrong. :down:

And in any case - I could've simply "not been able to see past Neil Robertson", despite him being knackered, facing the first round draw from hell, and having barely won a match since Christmas! :rofl:

shaun.lawson

So Ding is the next World Champion then :thumbsup:

Ding 17 vs 14 Trump

Williams 17 vs 12 Higgins

Maybe. It's wide open though.

Ding 17-15 Trump

Williams 17-15 Higgins

Cue Ronnie's annual/seasonal/monthly/weekly/daily/hourly "I dun like snooker no more, I'm gunna quit" comment.

FUD :blink:

shaun.lawson

Selby going for a piss midway through a frame. wtf???

Neil - why is this idea so utterly inconceivable? They're under huge pressure at the Crucible - and sometimes, when someone's really, really nervous... :o

shaun.lawson

Cue Ronnie's annual/seasonal/monthly/weekly/daily/hourly "I dun like snooker no more, I'm gunna quit" comment.

FUD :blink:

Actually, his post-match comments are more serene than I can ever remember. The psychiatrist he's seeing is really helping him.

But I'm sorry, I forgot: it's an absolute piece of piss to have your father imprisoned for murder, your mother for tax evasion, develop bipolar disorder and have to live your entire life in the public eye, isn't it?

What a fud, eh? :rolleyes:

shaun.lawson

I'm going for

Ding 12 Trump 17

Williams 16 Higgins 17

Higgins has lost both his Crucible meetings (both semi-finals) with Williams: the second one so traumatic that it more or less ruined his career for the next seven years. Now's his chance for revenge, but I can't see it.

I'm more unsure about Ding v Trump. Ding should win - but he's still showing signs of vulnerability, his snooker brain and tactical game leave plenty to be desired, and he's yet to really impose himself on the arena. He's getting better at it, mind - but you never quite know with him, whereas Trump has nothing to lose at all, and can really go for it.

shaun.lawson

I've been a bit surprised by Allen in this tournament. He seemed distracted and a bit out of sorts

Allen's suffering from serious depression. His marriage collapsed, I think he lost custody of his daughter, and he admits to having done pretty much no practice. Bearing all that in mind, he did awfully well to get through two matches: his head is, quite understandably, somewhere else at the moment.

shaun.lawson

1. When Dennis Taylor won the world title in 1985, at what exact time did the final finish? And how many people were watching on TV?

2. What was unique about John Parrott's defeat of Jimmy White in the 1991 final?

3. Steve Davis famously lost the 1985 world final after winning the first session 7-0. Name two further occasions on which this happened in the final of a major tournament.

4. Who compiled the first ever maximum break in a televised tournament?

5. Who was responsible for the biggest ever comeback in the first round at the Crucible? Who was his opponent?

6. Who was responsible for the biggest ever comeback in the semi-finals at the Crucible? Who was his opponent?

7. How many World Championship semi-finals has Matthew Stevens reached? What was his heaviest margin of defeat in either a world semi-final or final?

8. Who holds the record for most Crucible semi-finals? How many is it?

9. How many ranking tournaments did Willie Thorne win?

10. How many major finals have been decided on a respotted black?

11. When was the last time the climax of the World Championship was not televised live on the BBC?

12. How many unseeded players have won the World Championship since it moved to the Crucible?

13. For how many consecutive seasons was Dennis Taylor a member of the top sixteen?

14. Stephen Hendry beat Jimmy White to win four of his world titles. Who were his other three victims in the final?

15. How many times has White beaten Hendry at the Crucible?

16. Name the only two players since 1985 to have reached the top sixteen just two years after turning professional.

17. How old was Doug Mountjoy when he won the 1988 UK Championship, beating Hendry 16-12 in the final?

18. Name Steve Davis' five opponents en route to his first world title in 1981.

19. What was remarkable about the final frame of Mike Hallett's Masters semi-final with John Parrott in 1988?

20. When Fred Davis reached the 1978 world semi-finals, how old was he?

Bump. One more day to get your answers in, folks: a disappointing response so far. :mellow:

Aha - but check my initial preview in my OP. :P:D

I even went against all prevailing wisdom, and suggested O'Sullivan, despite the shocking state he's been in over recent times, shouldn't be written off. I'm delighted with all the above: which means my Crucible Contest (a prediction game I play every year, in which we predict all matches before the tournament begins) position must be very good. It's just that, me being me, I tried to cover myself before the last eight, because I just didn't think Ding was playing well enough. Wrong. :down:

And in any case - I could've simply "not been able to see past Neil Robertson", despite him being knackered, facing the first round draw from hell, and having barely won a match since Christmas! :rofl:

Your pre-tourney predictions count for eff all when you change your mind half way through.

When you predict every player to win at some stage throughout the tournament you can't go far wrong.

PS Neil Robertson was a great shout to win. :lol:

Neil - why is this idea so utterly inconceivable? They're under huge pressure at the Crucible - and sometimes, when someone's really, really nervous... :o

It was gamesmanship and you know it! Ding had won 2 frames on the trot (I hope it wasn't that Selby had to dash off for!) after Selby had stormed the first 4 frames of the night. He was trying to disrupt Ding cos he knows Ding has choked in the past. If Selby had been that desperate then he should have gone before that frame had started! :P

shaun.lawson

Your pre-tourney predictions count for eff all when you change your mind half way through.

When you predict every player to win at some stage throughout the tournament you can't go far wrong.

PS Neil Robertson was a great shout to win. :lol:

That's the secret of all good tipsters - didn't you know? :lol:

It was gamesmanship and you know it! Ding had won 2 frames on the trot (I hope it wasn't that Selby had to dash off for!) after Selby had stormed the first 4 frames of the night. He was trying to disrupt Ding cos he knows Ding has choked in the past. If Selby had been that desperate then he should have gone before that frame had started! :P

Er, Neil. I take it you've never had an attack of the runs in your entire life? Selby didn't go 20 minutes earlier because he didn't need the loo 20 minutes earlier!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13217971.stm

He ran out of the arena, and like anyone, would've been mortified by such a situation - all at a time he'd been left a pressure clearance to make. "Gamesmanship"?

:keys:

That's the secret of all good tipsters - didn't you know? :lol:

Er, Neil. I take it you've never had an attack of the runs in your entire life? Selby didn't go 20 minutes earlier because he didn't need the loo 20 minutes earlier!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13217971.stm

He ran out of the arena, and like anyone, would've been mortified by such a situation - all at a time he'd been left a pressure clearance to make. "Gamesmanship"?

:keys:

The new king of the excuses now Ronnie's on the wane :D

And as for your tipping.......I learned after your "Hearts will not lose to St Mirren" one to always back against who you tip. I'm now a multi-millionaire! :D

shaun.lawson

The new king of the excuses now Ronnie's on the wane :D

And as for your tipping.......I learned after your "Hearts will not lose to St Mirren" one to always back against who you tip. I'm now a multi-millionaire! :D

Ach, I change my mind as often as I change my socks. The thing about snooker nowadays is there's barely any rhyme or reason to it: it always used to be that form told over long matches, but now they have a much more random nature. This tournament's become impossibly unpredictable over the last ten years, and that's bound to continue.

Stephen Hendry has announced....

That he won't be retiring.

:) :) :)

Said he will be playing all events including the PTC ones as well! Good stuff.

Unbelievable start in the Ding/Trump match. Century a piece, some great pots.....Just to add that I got 11/10 on over 4.5 centuries in this match. Easy money :whistling:

The Old Tolbooth

Ding's pot success rate is 96% and he's 3-1 down :blink:

That's absolutely phenomenal!!!

Trump is an absolute joy to watch, there's no substitute for raw talent :thumbsup:

Trump has been awesome. Doesn't seem like missing, any slightly bad positional shot and he can pot himself out of trouble. Would be great for snooker for either him or Ding to win it this year. Just as long as Higgins doesn't win it really.

What's going on with Virgos neck?

Trump has been awesome. Doesn't seem like missing, any slightly bad positional shot and he can pot himself out of trouble. Would be great for snooker for either him or Ding to win it this year. Just as long as Higgins doesn't win it really.

What's going on with Virgos neck?

Reckon wee Donald has the beating of Ding.

Trump v Williams final please.

shaun.lawson

Reckon wee Donald has the beating of Ding.

Trump v Williams final please.

Cor blimey Merse, it's only 3-2! We've barely even started yet. Incidentally, if Trump got past Ding, do we reckon he could beat Williams or Higgins on the biggest stage of all over the full 35? I'm saying no.

Cor blimey Merse, it's only 3-2! We've barely even started yet. Incidentally, if Trump got past Ding, do we reckon he could beat Williams or Higgins on the biggest stage of all over the full 35? I'm saying no.

Wasn't based on the opening 4 frames (which I haven't seen) but just the general play of the two so far in the tournament.

If he got through it'd be hard to say how he'd react, don't know enough about him or his character to be able to judge yet tbh. It would depend on the nature of his semi final win.

shaun.lawson

Answers below:

Right then, time for a wee quiz. I'll be back with the answers tomorrow: no cheating, gentlemen!

1. When Dennis Taylor won the world title in 1985, at what exact time did the final finish? And how many people were watching on TV?

12.23 am, 18.5m people. Both figures that are burnished on the brains of all snooker afficionados.

2. What was unique about John Parrott's defeat of Jimmy White in the 1991 final?

Parrott is the only player to have won the first seven frames of a world final, and gone on to win it. Both Steve Davis (1985 v Dennis Taylor) and Eddie Charlton (1975 v Ray Reardon) failed despite going 7-0 up.

3. Steve Davis famously lost the 1985 world final after winning the first session 7-0. Name two further occasions on which this happened in the final of a major tournament.

1975 World Championship, Reardon v Charlton; 1983 UK Championship, Higgins v Davis; 1991 Masters, Hendry v Hallett.

4. Who compiled the first ever maximum break in a televised tournament?

Note the wording of this question: 'televised tournament', but not 'on television'. Steve Davis was responsible for the latter: but his opponent that day, John Spencer, had actually done it three years earlier at a televised event - except the cameramen were on their tea break, so no footage of it exists!

5. Who was responsible for the biggest ever comeback in the first round at the Crucible? Who was his opponent?

In 1994, Nigel Bond came from 9-2 down to beat Cliff Thorburn 10-9 on the Grinder's sad last appearance at Sheffield.

6. Who was responsible for the biggest ever comeback in the semi-finals at the Crucible? Who was his opponent?

In 2003, Ken Doherty came from 15-9 down to beat the late Paul Hunter 17-16. Hunter would never get so close to a world final again.:(

7. How many World Championship semi-finals has Matthew Stevens reached? What was his heaviest margin of defeat in either a world semi-final or final?

Five. Incredibly, his heaviest margin of defeat in either semi or final was just two frames: he lost 18-16 to Mark Williams in the 2000 final, 17-15 to John Higgins in the 2001 semis, 17-16 to Peter Ebdon in the 2002 semis, 17-15 to Graeme Dott in the 2004 semis, and 18-16 to Shaun Murphy in the 2005 final. In both finals, he was well ahead and set for the title; in the semi v Ebdon, he was two up with three to play and miles ahead in the 31st frame. Poor *******.

8. Who holds the record for most Crucible semi-finals? How many is it?

Stephen Hendry, 12.

9. How many ranking tournaments did Willie Thorne win?

One: the 1985 Mercantile Credit Classic, beating Cliff Thorburn in the final.

10. How many major finals have been decided on a respotted black?

Two - the 1989 World Cup Final between England and the Rest of the World; and the extraordinary 1998 Masters final between Mark Williams and Stephen Hendry.

11. When was the last time the climax of the World Championship was not televised live on the BBC?

1980. Instead of covering the final stages of Thorburn v Higgins, the BBC diverted their cameras to news of the unfolding Iranian Embassy siege.

12. How many unseeded players have won the World Championship since it moved to the Crucible?

Two: Terry Griffiths in 1979, and Shaun Murphy in 2005. Joe Johnson was 16th seed when he won in 1986.

13. For how many consecutive seasons was Dennis Taylor a member of the top sixteen?

18 - from 1976/7 (when the ranking system was originated) to 1993/4.

14. Stephen Hendry beat Jimmy White to win four of his world titles. Who were his other three victims in the final?

Nigel Bond (1995); Peter Ebdon (1996); Mark Williams (1999).

15. How many times has White beaten Hendry at the Crucible?

Twice: 13-12 in the 1988 second round; and 10-4 in the 1998 first round.

16. Name the only two players since 1985 to have reached the top sixteen just two years after turning professional.

Ronnie O'Sullivan... and Alan McManus. Remarkably, it took Hendry three years.

17. How old was Doug Mountjoy when he won the 1988 UK Championship, beating Hendry 16-12 in the final?

18. Name Steve Davis' five opponents en route to his first world title in 1981.

Jimmy White (10-8); Alex Higgins (13-8); Terry Griffiths (13-9); Cliff Thorburn (16-10); Doug Mountjoy (18-12). I think this ties with Hendry's 1999 route of Hunter/Wattana/Stevens/O'Sullivan/Williams as the toughest path ever negotiated by a World Championship winner.

19. What was remarkable about the final frame of Mike Hallett's Masters semi-final with John Parrott in 1988?

Hallett won after needing five snookers!

20. When Fred Davis reached the 1978 world semi-finals, how old was he?

64. :o

Harry Palmer

Hopefully, there's no longer the Beeb love-in a la Ramjet and I can actually enjoy some of this.

Hopefully all his supporters have buggered off too.

Those are my reasons for wanting Ramjet horsed out. Even the Beeb text updates were Ramjet-tastic.

The Old Tolbooth

It would be a real shame if they put Taylor and Virgo in different nursing homes in a couple of years time, the pair of them need each other.

Archived