World Snooker Championship 2011

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

The commentators were ripping him senseless in the earlier session.

He's an absolute joke player.

Get him to feck Higgins.

Edit: On the plus side, 8 more frames of this means I'll have something to cure my usual Sunday night insomnia.

Out of interest, did they include Terry Griffiths? Pots, kettles, etc. Griffiths it was who won the title in 1979 - whereupon the final was immediately reduced from 47 to 35 frames. He was to quickfire snooker what I am to brevity, frankly.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson

Ding could be in a bit of trouble against Bingham here. Still hasn't been able to produce anything near his best at the Crucible.

Ding looks like being one of a group of players who'll only do it when they really hit top form one year. That's been the case with Selby for four or five years now - but this time, it looks like he's at last got the bit between his teeth. Would love to see him do it too.

Tommy Wiseau

What do you guys think of shot clocks being introduced? I would be all for it tbh, as much as I like watching it, it could do with a bit more pace in the games and I reckon it would see more mistakes (not a bad thing IMO).

Out of interest, did they include Terry Griffiths? Pots, kettles, etc. Griffiths it was who won the title in 1979 - whereupon the final was immediately reduced from 47 to 35 frames. He was to quickfire snooker what I am to brevity, frankly.

It was Griffiths and Thorne.

It wasn't just his negativity and shot time though it was the shot selection.

I've never seen a pro player make a 20 break look as difficult as McLeod does every single time.

What do you guys think of shot clocks being introduced? I would be all for it tbh, as much as I like watching it, it could do with a bit more pace in the games and I reckon it would see more mistakes (not a bad thing IMO).

I'm not sure how necessary it is TBH.

The sort of stuff McLeod is dishing out is fortunately a rarity.

The vast majority of players play at a decent pace.

Hopefully McLeod will never make it to another event to put us through this torture.

Did you see Waldens comments after his match with him?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13145897.stm

:lol:

shaun.lawson

Hate the idea myself. Slower players have always been part of the game. What Hearn's done is introduce different formats in other tournaments, including the shot clocks you mention - but at the Crucible? Nah. I'd be as opposed to that as I am whenever talk starts up of going down from five to three sets at a Grand Slam tennis tournament.

The World Championship is a 17 day marathon of the mind. Part of its greatness lies in what a colossal mental test it is: players reach the semis, then find that, in terms of the number of frames they have to win, they effectively have to start a whole new tournament. And Dott and Ebdon's triumphs in 2006 and 2002 were no less worthy for them being slow, grinding players; just as a defensive, pragmatic football team is just as deserving of success as an all-out attacking one. This is professional sport, not some flower show.

Tommy Wiseau

Yeah obviously your McLeods are in the minority, but I'd quite like to see how it worked for changing the mentality of players and dynamics of games etc.

Was loving Walden's comments. :lol: McLeod thought he was the one being slowed down. :vrface:

Higgins looks totally riled with the whole thing at the moment as well.

For a shot clock to matter it'd have to be pretty short and for me, that would just take away a bit much from the game.

shaun.lawson

Yeah obviously your McLeods are in the minority, but I'd quite like to see how it worked for changing the mentality of players and dynamics of games etc.

Was loving Walden's comments. :lol: McLeod thought he was the one being slowed down. :vrface:

Higgins looks totally riled with the whole thing at the moment as well.

Higgins ought to have the experience to deal with it - but the scheduling (straight into the quarters on Tuesday if he gets through this match) hasn't done him any favours. It wasn't that much of a shock when O'Sullivan subsided against an ultra-slow Ebdon in 2005 (the latter took over 5 minutes to compile a break of 12!); but it really shouldn't happen to Higgins.

Tommy Wiseau

Hate the idea myself. Slower players have always been part of the game. What Hearn's done is introduce different formats in other tournaments, including the shot clocks you mention - but at the Crucible? Nah. I'd be as opposed to that as I am whenever talk starts up of going down from five to three sets at a Grand Slam tennis tournament.

The World Championship is a 17 day marathon of the mind. Part of its greatness lies in what a colossal mental test it is: players reach the semis, then find that, in terms of the number of frames they have to win, they effectively have to start a whole new tournament. And Dott and Ebdon's triumphs in 2006 and 2002 were no less worthy for them being slow, grinding players; just as a defensive, pragmatic football team is just as deserving of success as an all-out attacking one. This is professional sport, not some flower show.

Take cover, I've unleashed Lawson's inner seethe. I'm not diminishing the value of the grinders, lad, but McLeod has seriously riled me. Wouldn't want the game to change much, but bangers like that boy need to be stopped for the good of my sanity. :lol:

shaun.lawson

For a shot clock to matter it'd have to be pretty short and for me, that would just take away a bit much from the game.

And referees can warn players for slow play too: it's happened before, completely unfairly to Dean Reynolds in 1989, when his opponent Tony Meo was even slower!

I wouldn't be surprised if there's so much fuss made in the press about McLeod that the ref does warn him, say in the final session tomorrow. I'm curious as to whether the fans' irritation will get to him; for all the world, I thought that happened to Ebdon in 2005. For the only time in his entire life, Ebdon was clearly self-conscious during his semi-final - hence, he lost.

Take cover, I've unleashed Lawson's inner seethe. I'm not diminishing the value of the grinders, lad, but McLeod has seriously riled me. Wouldn't want the game to change much, but bangers like that boy need to be stopped for the good of my sanity. :lol:

Part of me wants him to win for the sheer hilarity of it.

shaun.lawson

Listen, I'm no fan of his either! He drives me mental tbh - and his post-match comments the other day ("Ricky was a lot slower than me") were a real :vrface: moment.

But too often over the years, occasional snooker watchers (not you; I'm talking sports columnists here) have bitched incessantly about the likes of Dott or Ebdon. In reality, both players' world titles were astounding achievements (or rather, over-achievements), for which they should be lauded to the skies - and however scrappy and interminable their 2006 final was, I loved every minute of it. The tension was superb.

But then, you are talking to someone who watched Dennis Taylor beat Terry Griffiths 13-11 at 1.40am in 1993 after the longest 25 frame match ever played - and was absolutely thrilled Taylor had won. There were maybe only 30 people left in the Crucible audience, but it's still one of my favourite World Championship memories! :stuart:

Tommy Wiseau

But seriously

:seething:

I'm just not big into snooker at all (well, not as much as I used to be anyway) but was quite interested in the debate they had the other day about it. Maybe I'm just the kind of dick who wants things tinkered with until they're ruined a progressive thinker who can see a vision for the rebirth of the sport as a spectator's favourite. :verysmug:

wtf is with McLeod's beard thing? The wee gap for the cue to go inbetween? Get a grip. Either have one or don't. I've seen Higgins stumble against this type of player a lot as I think he lets the frustration get to him a bit but hopefully he'll come through.

shaun.lawson

But seriously

:seething:

I'm just not big into snooker at all but was quite interested in the debate they had the other day about it. Maybe I'm just the kind of dick who wants things tinkered with until they're ruined a progressive thinker who can see a vision for the rebirth of the sport as a spectator's favourite. :verysmug:

:)

I'm pleased Hearn is beginning to follow my vision for the game's future: next season, for the first time ever, more ranking tournaments will be held overseas than in the UK. With the exception of the World Championship, I've wanted the circuit to effectively relocate to the Far East for many years now: that's where snooker is booming. Not here, where clubs are closing down all over the place.

There is slow and then there is Rory fecking McLeod.

I honestly think I'm better in amongst the balls than he is.

Tommy Wiseau

wtf is with McLeod's beard thing? The wee gap for the cue to go inbetween? Get a grip. Either have one or don't. I've seen Higgins stumble against this type of player a lot as I think he lets the frustration get to him a bit but hopefully he'll come through.

WCrory3.JPG

What a ****ing ninny he is. :vrface:

:)

I'm pleased Hearn is beginning to follow my vision for the game's future: next season, for the first time ever, more ranking tournaments will be held overseas than in the UK. With the exception of the World Championship, I've wanted the circuit to effectively relocate to the Far East for many years now: that's where snooker is booming. Not here, where clubs are closing down all over the place.

Yup, defo the way forward. Do you see a way back for it in the UK, or do you think it's going to keep sliding in popularity the way it has?

shaun.lawson

Yup, defo the way forward. Do you see a way back for it in the UK, or do you think it's going to keep sliding in popularity the way it has?

I doubt things will get any worse, precisely because of the long overdue changes Hearn is making. Snooker still gets very decent TV audiences, and the BBC are still committed to it.

But in terms of it ever re-entering public consciousness in the same manner as back in the 1980s... no chance. Whereas in Asia, snooker players are treated like Gods, and the money on offer (tobacco sponsorship, etc) would be far greater. No brainer really.

The Old Tolbooth

I'm ashamed to admit that I had never seen or heard of Rory McLeod before this years tournament, and when I saw his name in the first round I thought that Scotland had sneaked another player in there :ninja:

Anyway, his incessant slow play is driving me bonkers, it's sore to watch!

That was the most turgid snooker I've ever seen.

McLeod literally couldn't string two pots together without running out of position.

Farcical that he can make a last 16 of the WORLD.

selby wins the first frame to win the match 13 - 4

What was Hendry like leaving the arena?

Did it look like he was waving goodbye?

The Old Tolbooth

What was Hendry like leaving the arena?

Did it look like he was waving goodbye?

If he falls out of the top 16 players in the World then I'm pretty sure I heard one of the commentators mention that he was quitting, I'm not sure if getting to the second round has preserved his top 16 ranking, but in fairness there's not a lot more he can do in the game and he certainly doesn't need the cash.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

If he falls out of the top 16 players in the World then I'm pretty sure I heard one of the commentators mention that he was quitting, I'm not sure if getting to the second round has preserved his top 16 ranking, but in fairness there's not a lot more he can do in the game and he certainly doesn't need the cash.

If Bingham beats Ding he falls to 17th.

The Old Tolbooth

If Bingham beats Ding he falls to 17th.

Cheers for that mate, who would have thought that ever being possible :wacko:

Ronnie through to play Higgins. Ding on the verge of taking it to a final frame decider with Bingham. Hopefully he wins, and keeps Hendry in the top 16.

shaun.lawson

O'Sullivan through 13-10: he means business, and genuinely could win the whole thing if he keeps this up. :thumbsup:

Ding on his way back: trying to make his first ever World quarter-final, and just as importantly, save Stephen Hendry's career. If Ding loses, I think Hendry will quit. :(

Bad run of the balla for Bingham and he'll be joining Murphy on the scrapheap.

Good news for Hendry at least.

Great comeback by Ding. Hendry might just have one more season now :thumbsup:

Trump vs Dott

Ding vs Selby

Williams vs Allen

Higgins vs O'Sullivan

Great quarter final line up. Fancying Trump, Selby, Williams and Higgins.

shaun.lawson

Trump vs Dott

Ding vs Selby

Williams vs Allen

Higgins vs O'Sullivan

I'll go with Dott, Selby, Williams and O'Sullivan - and Selby beating Williams in the final. :thumbsup:

Trump vs Dott

Ding vs Selby

Williams vs Allen

Higgins vs O'Sullivan

Doubt you'll be far away with those predictions.

Good thing is though they could all potentially go the other way if the others play to their best.

Should be some really good matches.

The Old Tolbooth

I'll go with Dott, Selby, Williams and O'Sullivan - and Selby beating Williams in the final. :thumbsup:

That's exactly my predictions too.

shaun.lawson

Good to see that Hendry has a lot of respect still from his peers.

I hope he plays one more year and makes a real go of it, knowing that it'll be his last rather than just disappearing off the scene.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13187749.stm

Now he's safe in the top 16 (which doesn't guarantee him a spot at the Crucible next year, because of the new ranking system), and that so many players are demanding he carries on, I'm pretty sure he will. And while he obviously doesn't have another world title in him, it'd be brill to see him emulate someone like Pete Sampras, win another big tournament (the Masters, say?), then go out in a blaze of glory. That should be his target IMO.

Meanwhile, young Mr Trump is absolutely flying. He's on the point of becoming a genuine contender to win the whole thing - but to do that, I think he needs to maintain his momentum and beat Dott with a session to spare. If he starts to run out of steam and only wins more narrowly, Selby or Ding should take care of him in the semis. Brilliant to see him doing this, though: people have been going on about him for years, and it's high time he showed the world what he can do.

it's all very well everyone in the game showering hendry with praise and encouragement about staying on but it could well be that everything is going to depend on what mrs hendry (nee tart) wants. there may have been certain promises or agreements made.

then again for all we know she might prefer him to be on the snooker tour and out from under her feet.

shaun.lawson

it's all very well everyone in the game showering hendry with praise and encouragement about staying on but it could well be that everything is going to depend on what mrs hendry (nee tart) wants. there may have been certain promises or agreements made.

then again for all we know she might prefer him to be on the snooker tour and out from under her feet.

She won't want her husband to be unhappy. Remember, Hendry's already ruled out playing in the PTCs (Players Tour Championship), meaning his ranking will suffer; he probably won't play all the remaining overseas events either. Meaning he can focus on a few big tournaments in the UK: it's not like him staying on for one more season will entail 24/7/365 commitment from him.

And after that, he might end up coaching; he'll certainly move into the commentary box. So whatever happens, he'll be remaining in the game and around the circuit. But I'm having an awfully hard time envisaging him somehow ignoring the exhortations of contemporaries like Stebe Davis or Ronnie O'Sullivan. On Twitter, Davis was practically screaming at Hendry not to quit; Ronnie described him as the greatest player ever. He'll stick around, you'll see. :thumbsup:

She won't want her husband to be unhappy. Remember, Hendry's already ruled out playing in the PTCs (Players Tour Championship), meaning his ranking will suffer; he probably won't play all the remaining overseas events either. Meaning he can focus on a few big tournaments in the UK: it's not like him staying on for one more season will entail 24/7/365 commitment from him.

And after that, he might end up coaching; he'll certainly move into the commentary box. So whatever happens, he'll be remaining in the game and around the circuit. But I'm having an awfully hard time envisaging him somehow ignoring the exhortations of contemporaries like Stebe Davis or Ronnie O'Sullivan. On Twitter, Davis was practically screaming at Hendry not to quit; Ronnie described him as the greatest player ever. He'll stick around, you'll see. :thumbsup:

he's already hinted at definitely staying in the game in some guise. it will no doubt be a variety of things.

he's going to be in the commentary position on thursday. he's getting a wee bit better at that after being a bit wooden and dour the first time he did that.

coaching is a possibility i suppose. i was also thinking that he'll get involved in whatever 'senior' / 'past master' events and tours there are. whether that be official competition or just exhibition stuff.

shaun.lawson

he's already hinted at definitely staying in the game in some guise. it will no doubt be a variety of things.

he's going to be in the commentary position on thursday. he's getting a wee bit better at that after being a bit wooden and dour the first time he did that.

coaching is a possibility i suppose. i was also thinking that he'll get involved in whatever 'senior' / 'past master' events and tours there are. whether that be official competition or just exhibition stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_World_Seniors_Championship

Poor old Jimmy. Just when he thought it was safe, along will come you know who to deny him again... :(:D

The Old Tolbooth

How good was Trump today? He absolutely blew Dott away in that first session and I can't see him throwing away a 7-1 lead, the other session between Williams and Allen was very good quality too.

Trump and Williams look pretty safe for the semi's. The other two quarters are nicely poised for a close finish tomorrow night. Really impressed with Trump, same age as Hendry when he won it for the first time. Got to be the best quarter final line up for a long time? If not ever.

The Old Tolbooth

Blimey, I had absolutely no idea of the following fact

In 1959, to boost snooker's popularity, the reigning world champion, Joe Davis, introduced a variation of the game called "Snooker Plus", He added an orange ball worth 8 points, and a purple ball worth 10 points, thus increasing the maximum break from 147 to 210.

You learn summat new every day! :blink:

shaun.lawson

Trump and Williams look pretty safe for the semi's. The other two quarters are nicely poised for a close finish tomorrow night. Really impressed with Trump, same age as Hendry when he won it for the first time. Got to be the best quarter final line up for a long time? If not ever.

The best quarter-final line-up ever was 1999: Hendry, Higgins, O'Sullivan, Williams, Parrott, Doherty, Stevens, Lee. :thumbsup:

But this year's one is excellent, and all of a sudden, the game looks in very decent shape for the future. Mind you though, I was watching O'Sullivan-Higgins earlier (really impressed with the way Ronnie fought his way back and stuck at it: he has the momentum now IMO), thought both players suddenly looked much older than they've ever appeared before, and was bemused to discover both are 35: Higgins even turns 36 next month.

To put that into perspective: the last time a 36 year old won this tournament was Dennis Taylor, way back in 1985. I've got an old Pot Black magazine article somewhere on O'Sullivan v Higgins in the 1991 World Junior Open, when both were 15; I can remember their Masters final in 1995 - both 19 then - vividly. It's incredible to think these two have been at the top of the game for 16 or 17 years now; and thinking about it, I'm sure you'd find that, ten years ago, there were more 20-25 year olds and certainly fewer 30-35 year olds in the top sixteen than now.

Which suggests two things:

1. The game stagnated over the last decade to some extent

2. O'Sullivan, Higgins and Williams' longevity gets taken for granted - but actually, is pretty remarkable.

shaun.lawson

Blimey, I had absolutely no idea of the following fact

In 1959, to boost snooker's popularity, the reigning world champion, Joe Davis, introduced a variation of the game called "Snooker Plus", He added an orange ball worth 8 points, and a purple ball worth 10 points, thus increasing the maximum break from 147 to 210.

You learn summat new every day! :blink:

Right then, time for a wee quiz. I'll be back with the answers tomorrow: no cheating, gentlemen!

1. When Dennis Taylor won the world title in 1985, at what exact time did the final finish? And how many people were watching on TV?

2. What was unique about John Parrott's defeat of Jimmy White in the 1991 final?

3. Steve Davis famously lost the 1985 world final after winning the first session 7-0. Name two further occasions on which this happened in the final of a major tournament.

4. Who compiled the first ever maximum break in a televised tournament?

5. Who was responsible for the biggest ever comeback in the first round at the Crucible? Who was his opponent?

6. Who was responsible for the biggest ever comeback in the semi-finals at the Crucible? Who was his opponent?

7. How many World Championship semi-finals has Matthew Stevens reached? What was his heaviest margin of defeat in either a world semi-final or final?

8. Who holds the record for most Crucible semi-finals? How many is it?

9. How many ranking tournaments did Willie Thorne win?

10. How many major finals have been decided on a respotted black?

11. When was the last time the climax of the World Championship was not televised live on the BBC?

12. How many unseeded players have won the World Championship since it moved to the Crucible?

13. For how many consecutive seasons was Dennis Taylor a member of the top sixteen?

14. Stephen Hendry beat Jimmy White to win four of his world titles. Who were his other three victims in the final?

15. How many times has White beaten Hendry at the Crucible?

16. Name the only two players since 1985 to have reached the top sixteen just two years after turning professional.

17. How old was Doug Mountjoy when he won the 1988 UK Championship, beating Hendry 16-12 in the final?

18. Name Steve Davis' five opponents en route to his first world title in 1981.

19. What was remarkable about the final frame of Mike Hallett's Masters semi-final with John Parrott in 1988?

20. When Fred Davis reached the 1978 world semi-finals, how old was he?

Right then, time for a wee quiz. I'll be back with the answers tomorrow: no cheating, gentlemen!

1. When Dennis Taylor won the world title in 1985, at what exact time did the final finish? And how many people were watching on TV?

2. What was unique about John Parrott's defeat of Jimmy White in the 1991 final?

3. Steve Davis famously lost the 1985 world final after winning the first session 7-0. Name two further occasions on which this happened in the final of a major tournament.

4. Who compiled the first ever maximum break in a televised tournament?

5. Who was responsible for the biggest ever comeback in the first round at the Crucible? Who was his opponent?

6. Who was responsible for the biggest ever comeback in the semi-finals at the Crucible? Who was his opponent?

7. How many World Championship semi-finals has Matthew Stevens reached? What was his heaviest margin of defeat in either a world semi-final or final?

8. Who holds the record for most Crucible semi-finals? How many is it?

9. How many ranking tournaments did Willie Thorne win?

10. How many major finals have been decided on a respotted black?

11. When was the last time the climax of the World Championship was not televised live on the BBC?

12. How many unseeded players have won the World Championship since it moved to the Crucible?

13. For how many consecutive seasons was Dennis Taylor a member of the top sixteen?

14. Stephen Hendry beat Jimmy White to win four of his world titles. Who were his other three victims in the final?

15. How many times has White beaten Hendry at the Crucible?

16. Name the only two players since 1985 to have reached the top sixteen just two years after turning professional.

17. How old was Doug Mountjoy when he won the 1988 UK Championship, beating Hendry 16-12 in the final?

18. Name Steve Davis' five opponents en route to his first world title in 1981.

19. What was remarkable about the final frame of Mike Hallett's Masters semi-final with John Parrott in 1988?

20. When Fred Davis reached the 1978 world semi-finals, how old was he?

just going to have a quick guess at these. i have no pot black magazine collection :blink:

1. 1am. 22M people.

2. parrott successfully went through the match without pouting like an old tart about a piece of bad luck.

3. hendry versus hallett.

4. steve davis.

5. o'sullivan versus ???

6. white versus ???

7. 4. 16-12 or 18-14.

8. hendry. 12.

9. one.

10. two.

11. 1972.

12. two. possibly griffiths and johnson?

13. 15.

14. ebdon, bond, ???

15. twice.

16. hendry, hunter.

17. 47.

18. reardon, mans, thorburn, david taylor, griffiths.

19. john parrott set a new world record for the number of old tart-esque pouts at pieces of bad luck.

20. 60.

Mark Williams disposes of potentially tricky opponent Mark Allen by 13 frames to 5.

He is going to take some stopping.

Ding leading Selby 7-4 too.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Mark Williams disposes of potentially tricky opponent Mark Allen by 13 frames to 5.

He is going to take some stopping.

Ding leading Selby 7-4 too.

I've been a bit surprised by Allen in this tournament. He seemed distracted and a bit out of sorts

Most of these are guesses

1. 19 Million watched, and it finished at just after 1am I think.

3. I know Alex Higgins vs Davis UK final early 80s. The other is a guess, Hendry vs Hallett came back from 8-2 to win 9-8 in the masters so might have been 7-0 too. The only other guess would be Paul hunter vs Williams also masters.

4. Steve Davis!

5. Terry griffiths vs Jamie Burnett just before TG retired.

6. Doherty vs Hunter. something like 15-8 down and won 17-16, and got beat but Williams in the final.

7. 5(twice runner up) 17-14?

8. Davis and Hendry on 11?

9. He forgot to choke once.

10. Spencer vs Reardon and Hendry vs Williams. But I think it's probably more than these two.

12. Shaun Murphy?

13. 15+

14. Williams, Ebdon and Bond.

15. None?

16. Once when Hendry was 19

17. 43?

19. He came back from needing 4 snookers.

20. About 65. I know he was still at the worlds when he was 70 :thumbsup:

Archived