World Snooker Championship 2011

shaun.lawson

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got a bit jammy with a kind run of the ball. got ahead and suddenly the shackles were off and he looked a different player. god only knows which hendry will appear tomorrow or in the next game if he gets through.

:vrface:

Jam Tarts 1874

Looks like Hendry is going to lose 4 frames in a row. I think it's safe to say that Hendry is no longer a contender for any title and only a matter of time before he follows Davis out of the world's elite.

He has and Hendry has lost the heid.

:(

It's like he's never played safety in his life :(

Lucky Perry has no bottle, so Hendry can expect a few chances in amongst the balls in the last few frames. Still favourite to win imo.

Shocker from Hendry to leave the yellow on there.

8-7.

Looks doomed.

Maybe not. Perry misses the blue....

8-7 to Hendry :)

shaun.lawson

Joe Perry

johnny-chung-lee-high-speed-bottle-smash.jpg

No - he's just not playing very well! Perry's a decent player, but has never broken through to the very top. The only time he threatened to was at this tournament three years ago, when he could and maybe should've reached the final - but as it is, he's the kind of player even a well below par Hendry should still scramble past here.

It also winds me up to hear Willie "Worst Bottler in History" Thorne castigating anyone for their lack of nerve; or for that matter, anyone for poor safety play. Thorne's idea of practicing safety was to smash the balls up and go for a 147 every time: I think he might well have been the worst under-achiever in the history of the sport.

Terry Griffiths and Dennis Taylor have been there and done it. Thorne and John Virgo do my nut in with their constant whining. :down:

shaun.lawson

Bloody hell, that's what I call a reply!! (you need to get out more Shaun) :D

I like the way you did that but some of the results of the matches could be argued, although I appreciate you took the scores from several opinions and not just your own, for example I reckon O'Sullivan would thrash Reardon, not because Reardon was a poor player, but someone like Ronnie would terrorise the life out of poor old Ray with his fireworks :lol:

By the way, just out of interest, how many forums do you actually post on and where do you get the time? :blink:

Ah, but that was three years ago! Now, I only have time to post on the world's greatest footie forum, JKB. :thumbsup: Would O'Sullivan have thrashed Reardon? Nah. For one thing, Ronnie has massive respect for Ray, whose mentoring was behind the most successful period in O'Sullivan's career, circa 2004. That year at the Crucible, O'Sullivan actually played like Reardon at times: scoring incredibly heavily, but also tightening the noose on his opponents with fantastic safety and teak tough matchplay. I think the wise old fox in Reardon would have given O'Sullivan plenty to think about in such a contest.

I went to school with Stephen, he was a good Jambo then. Top lad as well.

Walt - can you remember the BBC documentary, "Stephen Hendry, Doing The Business", which came out in late 1987/early 1988? That's how I first discovered him really, and the show made quite clear the game had never known such a prodigy before. Then a few months later, Hendry played White in the second round at the Crucible: Jimmy won a titanic clash 13-12, but the entire bloody UK seemed to be watching that Saturday lunchtime, and it was very clear a star had been born.

i think i would beat hendry in a safety shot challenge. he must be by far the worst safety player in the top 64.

if he wins this then great but he does my feckin head in.

shaun.lawson

Well I think even Willie Thorne is entitled to have a go at Hendrys safety game after todays showing.

What always bothers me about Thorne and Virgo's commentary is their complete lack of empathy. Mistakes happen under pressure: they're part of the game, especially at the Crucible. Both Thorne and Virgo had the most pathetic records in Sheffield, probably because they fell victim to the same factors which they routinely ignore when they're affecting anyone else.

Listen to Taylor sometime. He never judges, and invariably sympathises with any player who's struggling. That's because he had his own personal battle to fight in order to come through and win this title: he knows how tough it is. Only players who've actually done it here ever seem to.

What always bothers me about Thorne and Virgo's commentary is their complete lack of empathy. Mistakes happen under pressure: they're part of the game, especially at the Crucible. Both Thorne and Virgo had the most pathetic records in Sheffield, probably because they fell victim to the same factors which they routinely ignore when they're affecting anyone else.

Listen to Taylor sometime. He never judges, and invariably sympathises with any player who's struggling. That's because he had his own personal battle to fight in order to come through and win this title: he knows how tough it is. Only players who've actually done it here ever seem to.

He is a good Snooker commentator, when he isn't talking about golf.

i prefer them to call it like it is instead of pussy-footing around it. this is the world championships and if players are playing shots like a poor club player would then it's fine to say so IMO.

perhaps this just demonstrates the gulf between the top 10 or so and the rest.

shaun.lawson

He is a good Snooker commentator, when he isn't talking about golf.

The best commentator by a mile, though, is the great Clive Everton. Are the BBC using him at all this year? His understanding of the psychology of the sport is fantastic; so too is his empathy.

The best commentator by a mile, though, is the great Clive Everton. Are the BBC using him at all this year? His understanding of the psychology of the sport is fantastic; so too is his empathy.

He is there this year, but being used less frequently these days. Neal Foulds is the best I reckon.

shaun.lawson

He is there this year, but being used less frequently these days. Neal Foulds is the best I reckon.

Foulds is good, I agree. Nice guy, and very good player, treated disgracefully by the contemptible Colin Moynihan (small but imperfectly informed) when the latter was Sports Minister. :angry:

sweaty ass time.

come on hendry.

:vrface:

Archived