World Snooker Championship 2011

shaun.lawson

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jaap's Sigh

Wasn't her place to bring up his dad there bad etiquette :angry:

Agree mate. She was leading the questions to get him crying. Poor show bringing something painful like that up.

Drylaw Hearts

Outstanding stuff.

Wonder what Barry Hearn just whispered into his ear?!

"?250,000 Higgs - you can buy all of Wishaw with that"

Chris Benoit

No fan of Higgins but the total w@nkfest over Trump makes me glad he won

Pete Seeger

Argh, a ginger kid! Leave him in the backroom FFS :verymad:

Well done Higgins, it's not all about the Angels y'ken :D

:D

shaun.lawson

Agree mate. She was leading the questions to get him crying. Poor show bringing something painful like that up.

Totally agree. I'm a huge fan of Hazel Irvine (as, judging by the Cup win celebrations of 1998, is Jim Jefferies ;) ), but it's absolutely pathetic of her to do that. Awful. But Higgins has had to deal with that, and a world which has scrutinised and suspected him like never before over the past year. He's been through hell - and to win in that manner is just magnificent.

Harry Palmer

No fan of Higgins but the total w@nkfest over Trump makes me glad he won

Glad I've turned you to the good side. :thumbsup:

Chris Benoit

Glad I've turned you to the good side. :thumbsup:

Next year I'll be back cheering on O' Sullivan and Williams don't you worry :P

Harry Palmer

Next year I'll be back cheering on O' Sullivan and Williams don't you worry :P

Ramjet can GTF and I don't mind Williams...it could've been him holding the trophy.

Any Beeb text coverage for any other match Ramjet wasn't playing in? Apart from the Final.... Nope... :whistling:

How was he allowed to compete ?

Man deceived the snooker world and had he not been exposed would not have said a word and taken the money.

Hope this is a one off and a true champion will come forward next year.

No wonder no one will take any great interest in snooker.

shaun.lawson

Man deceived the snooker world and had he not been exposed would not have said a word and taken the money.

Because he was vindicated by an independent tribunal. A tribunal to whom the News of the World refused to release the unedited tapes unless Higgins promised not to sue them. You're clearly unaware of the facts of the case, and just rushed to judgement based on selective evidence provided by the most unreliable tabloid newspaper imaginable.

Higgins is an extremely wealthy man. It's absolutely ridiculous to think he'd throw frames or matches. If you're looking for match fixing, try a struggling professional trying desperately to make ends meet.

Meanwhile, more people have taken interest in this World Championship than any I can recall in almost two decades. The game's back on the up, thanks to Barry Hearn, Judd Trump... and given his triumph despite unremitting adversity and "no smoke without fire" gossips like you, John Higgins. A great Champion, and an innocent man.

Jaap's Sigh

Because he was vindicated by an independent tribunal. A tribunal to whom the News of the World refused to release the unedited tapes unless Higgins promised not to sue them. You're clearly unaware of the facts of the case, and just rushed to judgement based on selective evidence provided by the most unreliable tabloid newspaper imaginable.

Higgins is an extremely wealthy man. It's absolutely ridiculous to think he'd throw frames or matches. If you're looking for match fixing, try a struggling professional trying desperately to make ends meet.

Meanwhile, more people have taken interest in this World Championship than any I can recall in almost two decades. The game's back on the up, thanks to Barry Hearn, Judd Trump... and given his triumph despite unremitting adversity and "no smoke without fire" gossips like you, John Higgins. A great Champion, and an innocent man.

Well said Shaun.

The Old Tolbooth

Kudos for that post Shaun, top stuff! :thumbsup:

Well done Higgins, yet again a worthy champion and is now the 4th most successful snooker player in the entire history of the game, however Trump just loved the occasion and will be back, make no mistake about that!

Congrats to Trump who just about single handedly made this the best World championships I can remember.

Congrats to Higgins for the triumph through adversity.

Congrats to Steve Davis for the most inaccurate comment in a long time, by claiming that Higgins is the greatest player ever. He might be the most determined though.

Congrats to me for losing shed loads of ?.

jambos are go!

Looking back the decision by Higgins to sink the Blue and go for a a snooker on the pink was a master stroke IMO if not John Virgo's. Trump faced losing the final rather than a draw and re spot and he missed. Then Higgins potted that immense and brave double I for one think is one of the greatest shots ever.

Good post :thumbsup:

It's a scandal he was every allowed to compete again.Turns the stomach :down:

Denny Crane

Good post :thumbsup:

It's a scandal he was every allowed to compete again.Turns the stomach :down:

:troll:

Randy Marsh

Looking back the decision by Higgins to sink the Blue and go for a a snooker on the pink was a master stroke IMO if not John Virgo's. Trump faced losing the final rather than a draw and re spot and he missed. Then Higgins potted that immense and brave double I for one think is one of the greatest shots ever.

Indeed.

John Virgo is a plonker of the highest order. He was amazed that he potted the blue and questioned it? Well Virgo, maybe thats why you never won anything in your career.

John Virgo = Loser

John Higgins = Winner

Ahh -- the innocent man who served a ban -- why ? -- he was guilty and served his time -- not innocent and as for not knowing the whole story I know as much as you do which is not much as snooker wanted it shut up and behind them as they entered a new era -- it is a corrupt sport and has been for years -- facts remember Shaun not fantasies.

shaun.lawson

Ahh -- the innocent man who served a ban -- why ? -- he was guilty and served his time -- not innocent and as for not knowing the whole story I know as much as you do which is not much as snooker wanted it shut up and behind them as they entered a new era -- it is a corrupt sport and has been for years -- facts remember Shaun not fantasies.

He received a ban for not immediately reporting what had happened. He was exonerated on everything else. In your world, does no-one ever make a mistake - and should a mistake be punished with a life ban?

This new fangled trial by video (edited by those well known paragons of virtue, the News of the World) is pretty comical too. If I ended up in a meeting with the Russian mafia, I imagine I'd feign being relaxed and pretend to agree to everything they wanted (in, lest we forget, a non-existent tournament) as well TBH. Better that than get up the noses of some extremely dangerous people.

There have been a handful of dubious matches over the years generally involving journeymen players struggling to make a living; so snooker's compliance unit has ensured the sport is now 100% clean: or as close to it as any sport can ever be.

shaun.lawson

Indeed.

John Virgo is a plonker of the highest order. He was amazed that he potted the blue and questioned it? Well Virgo, maybe thats why you never won anything in your career.

John Virgo = Loser

John Higgins = Winner

Totally agree. I was baffled by Virgo's questioning of it. Had Higgins left the blue on the table, he could only have tied; and given where pink and black were, it was obvious he could lay a very good snooker, one a lot harder to get out of than may have appeared, because the middle pocket was in the way of Trump's escape route.

Virgo's not as bad at questioning the shot selection of players light years ahead of his ability level than Thorne, but it still grates with me. Thorne, though, is comically awful: even when it comes to safety shots, he hasn't got a clue.

:down: to Thorne and Virgo; :thumbsup: to four times World Champion, John Higgins.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Totally agree. I was baffled by Virgo's questioning of it. Had Higgins left the blue on the table, he could only have tied; and given where pink and black were, it was obvious he could lay a very good snooker, one a lot harder to get out of than may have appeared, because the middle pocket was in the way of Trump's escape route.

Virgo's not as bad at questioning the shot selection of players light years ahead of his ability level than Thorne, but it still grates with me. Thorne, though, is comically awful: even when it comes to safety shots, he hasn't got a clue.

:down: to Thorne and Virgo; :thumbsup: to four times World Champion, John Higgins.

You could play drinking games with the commentary of Thorne and Virgo. Down a shot of voddie whenever one of them says:

He doesn't want to be straight here

Where's the cue ball going?

Poor safety shot

This could go wrong

It's not a certainty

He's a strong favourite to win the frame now

Not straightfoward

Wrong side of the blue

He's not inch-perfect

Neither of us losers ever won feck all, apart from the UK Championship which is shite compared to the World Champs

shaun.lawson

You could play drinking games with the commentary of Thorne and Virgo. Down a shot of voddie whenever one of them says:

Poor safety shot

This could go wrong

It's not a certainty

Not straightfoward

Wrong side of the blue

He's not inch-perfect

Neither of us losers ever won feck all, apart from the UK Championship which is shite compared to the World Champs

And if Thorne ever, ever criticises a player for missing a blue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM5Iwvbf4gs

:rofl:

Thus with one shot did an entire career go down the toilet. :thumbsup:

The Merse

Poor safety shot

This could go wrong

It's not a certainty

Not straightfoward

Wrong side of the blue

He's not inch-perfect

You forgot - "oh, that's careless."

shaun.lawson

You forgot - "oh, that's careless."

And also:

"I can't understand why he's playing that" (invariably before a brilliant pot or brilliant safety shot)

"Is he taking the pot on?" (before an excellent safety)

"This is the escape route he'll take" (before a completely different one)

Etc etc etc.

Mind you, I swear all John Spencer ever said in commentary was:

"Well that's not the bestoff shots from Steve"

Honestly, it was ridiculous. Though in fairness to him, Spencer's commentary of Hendry's 147 in 1995, and the closing stages of McManus-Davis in 1993, were excellent. :thumbsup:

Archived