Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Boaby Ewing

Well, first week almost done. Two 5kms and a game of fives :laugh: Need to get a little more serious.

Going for an 8km tomorrow. It's a slow start, but determined not to do my usual and overdo it early doors.

Feeling not bad, but looking forward to introducing a bit more speed work.

SCENES at a Pure Gym. (Unsure what club)

What the **** happened here? :lol:

ULTIMATE ROID RAGE?

5Me5Fma.jpg

Creepy Lurker

Me too.

Which probably explains why it's taken me a year to lose a stone.

k.

Snake Plissken

End of cut stats:

20140305_174211.jpg

Reasonably pleased with the body fat percentage. I know these readings aren't going to be 100% accurate but I'm down a good 3% from the last time I had it taken at the start of January.

Now comes the tricky part of staying this lean and making gainz.

The People's Chimp

Actually left the gym wondering if it was a full moon last night there were so many random new zoomers cutting about. The place was absolutely stowed, when I went in at 8.30, and was still heaving at the back of ten. It was like every oddball with a membership had decided to pop in last night specifically. Bizarre. Possibly the busiest I've seen it.

TBF the whole town was heaving as well when I walked home with hordes of bursds in cowgirl outfits just adding to the weird feel to the night. :lol:

Edited by The People's Chimp

End of cut stats:

20140305_174211.jpg

Reasonably pleased with the body fat percentage. I know these readings aren't going to be 100% accurate but I'm down a good 3% from the last time I had it taken at the start of January.

Now comes the tricky part of staying this lean and making gainz.

Where did you get that done? I've been trying to get an accurate bfp but the one at pure gym is hopeless,

Snake Plissken

Where did you get that done? I've been trying to get an accurate bfp but the one at pure gym is hopeless,

Not Edinburgh :lol:

The gym across the road from me, great place that I'm going to miss dearly :sob:

Creepy Lurker

Starting my cut on 3300 calories. Haters gonna hate.

Me too.

Which probably explains why it's taken me a year to lose a stone.

Down 1kg so far btw.

Down 1kg so far btw.

I lost 3lb this week according to my bathroom scales.

Put it down to swimming after lifting for extra fat burn.

Until the GF came in and announced she'd lost 3lb....

Now I'm thinking the scales are goosed.

Stuart McNeill

I lost 3lb this week according to my bathroom scales.

Put it down to swimming after lifting for extra fat burn.

Until the GF came in and announced she'd lost 3lb....

Now I'm thinking the scales are goosed.

I dont trust Bathroom scales. I've lost half a stone within a week before Prefer to use the ones in boots etc.

Creepy Lurker

As long as you use the same scales every time, at the same time of day, bathroom scales are more than adequate. Huge swings will be a result of water retention mainly. I weigh myself every day, first thing in the morning, and take a weekly average every Saturday.

It's more the body fat percentage that im wanting to know as I'm trying to build more muscle so I'm not paying too much attention to my weight, I was over weight when I started training 4 months ago, not really any cardio just weights 5 times a week, and I've been very strict with my diet , slowly bringing it down from 2500 a day at the start to 2000 a day, I've went from a 34 inch waist to needing a belt for my 30 inch jeans so I think I've lost about 6 or 7 kg of fat, there is a big difference as I can actually see my abs for the first time since I was 16 ha, but like I said earlier the pure gym machine for measuring body fat is hopeless so I was thinking of buying a set of body fat calipers, has anyone used these before and are they pretty easy to use?

Snake Plissken

Hydrostatic (underwater) weighing is the most accurate but **** knows where you could get that done.

Anything else will just give you a rough idea. I know the 8.7% percent figure I got won't be 100% accurate but I used the same machine the last time at the start of January and was at 11.3% then so I know I'm moving in the right direction.

Calipers won't give you a perfect reading, you'd be able to track your changes in body comp but I can't say I'd recommend them. My understanding is you measure at multiple points and make a calculation based on the measurements and factors like your age so they aren't hard to use.

Meant to say, I used a bioelectrical impedance analysis for the results I posted. Whatever method you choose, be consistent with it when tracking your progress.

Edited by Snake Plissken

Stopped working up to a 1rm set on bench, incline bench, OHP and deads recently.

Instead I'm increasing the weight until I get to one in which 5 reps is tough. (Previous sets easy / warm ups)

Instead of moving on, I'm trying 4 sets of 5 at that weight.

Was speaking to one of the PT's in Pure (a clued up one which is rare) and he was telling me it's never a good idea to do a 1rm on all your compound lifts, every single week and could explain plateus too.

Something about it ******* with your central nervous system.

Anyhow, as mentioned, applied this principal to bench, incline bench, OHP & Deads and It's feeling weird at first. Feeling paranoid I'll lose my 1rm weights when I try them again in 5/6 weeks. But the PT reckons I should see progress. Almost feel like I'm cheating myself when I leave. Need to get rid of that mentality.

Time will tell. Hope so.

One thing I've noticed so far is I'm not anywhere near as tired as I normally am.

As it stands, after a few warm up sets, my 4 working sets of 5 reps are;

Incline Bench 80kg

OHP 75kg

Bench 100kg

Deads 170kg

Aiming to do this for a good few weeks, then do the same with heavier weight and 4 sets of 3 reps, then test the 1rm and see if there's been gains.

Suppose it sounds like the Wendler 5/3/1. (which I know little about)

Edited by Sten Guns

Creepy Lurker

Hydrostatic (underwater) weighing is the most accurate but **** knows where you could get that done.

Anything else will just give you a rough idea. I know the 8.7% percent figure I got won't be 100% accurate but I used the same machine the last time at the start of January and was at 11.3% then so I know I'm moving in the right direction.

Calipers won't give you a perfect reading, you'd be able to track your changes in body comp but I can't say I'd recommend them. My understanding is you measure at multiple points and make a calculation based on the measurements and factors like your age so they aren't hard to use.

Meant to say, I used a bioelectrical impedance analysis for the results I posted. Whatever method you choose, be consistent with it when tracking your progress.

This is good advice. No method's 100% accurate, but if you measure consistently in the same way then you'll be able to track changes. For most people I don't think it's worth bothering too much about a precise body fat percentage. Track changes in weight and you can tell by the mirror if you're getting leaner/ fatter.

Struggling to get the last bit of fat out the abs.

Any good tips?

You can't spot reduce fat.....

Drop your caloric intake if the weight ain't shifting.

Or burn more calories.

Or both.

You can't spot reduce fat.....

Drop your caloric intake if the weight ain't shifting.

Or burn more calories.

Or both.

But what if he fades away to nothing?

Struggling to get the last bit of fat out the abs.

Any good tips?

Do you have a vice that you eat too much?

Pizza? Chocolate?

If you do, then that's probably it.

Calories in v calories out is the answer, but vices are usually the reason you can 't get in to a deficit.

Do you have a vice that you eat too much?

Pizza? Chocolate?

If you do, then that's probably it.

Calories in v calories out is the answer, but vices are usually the reason you can 't get in to a deficit.

Well I only weigh 80kg and I'm trying to put on weight. However I can shift this last little bit of fat in abs to muscle which is fairly annoying.

Snake Plissken

Gain weight

Lose fat

Pick one.

The line about converting fat into muscle makes about as much sense as converting steak into ice cream. If you want to gain muscle, you need to consume a caloric surplus and if you want to lose fat there needs to be a deficit. You're talking about two contradictory goals there.

If you want to trim body fat to a sub-10% level (for visible abs) then you're going to have to cut calories and lose weight. Keep up your protein to avoid losing too much muscle mass but you're still inevitably going to lose some of those gains. That's the price you pay if you want abs.

Stopped working up to a 1rm set on bench, incline bench, OHP and deads recently.

Instead I'm increasing the weight until I get to one in which 5 reps is tough. (Previous sets easy / warm ups)

Instead of moving on, I'm trying 4 sets of 5 at that weight.

Was speaking to one of the PT's in Pure (a clued up one which is rare) and he was telling me it's never a good idea to do a 1rm on all your compound lifts, every single week and could explain plateus too.

Something about it ******* with your central nervous system.

Anyhow, as mentioned, applied this principal to bench, incline bench, OHP & Deads and It's feeling weird at first. Feeling paranoid I'll lose my 1rm weights when I try them again in 5/6 weeks. But the PT reckons I should see progress. Almost feel like I'm cheating myself when I leave. Need to get rid of that mentality.

Time will tell. Hope so.

One thing I've noticed so far is I'm not anywhere near as tired as I normally am.

As it stands, after a few warm up sets, my 4 working sets of 5 reps are;

Incline Bench 80kg

OHP 75kg

Bench 100kg

Deads 170kg

Aiming to do this for a good few weeks, then do the same with heavier weight and 4 sets of 3 reps, then test the 1rm and see if there's been gains.

Suppose it sounds like the Wendler 5/3/1. (which I know little about)

Have mentioned him before but charles poliquin is respected as one of the top strength coaches. Have a read of some of his stuff.

http://www.poliquingroup.com

Have tried 5/3/1 before and made some steady strength gains on it.

I just can't be arsed with it at the moment. Last few sessions have been disasters. Can't figure out if plateauing or lack of motivation.

Been making really good strength gains over last month or so but just can't find the motivation and frankly could jack the healthy eating and living in right now.

I don't want to fall of wagon as I have been have a cheat day (so not really depriving myself of anything) each week.

Just finding myself thinking what's the point. I need to give myself a good shake but can even seem to do that!

Sounds like you need a new training routine mate.

Maybe but I've been doing a 5x5 routine for about a month. Moved from splits on weights and my cardio is pretty varied HIT, outside runs, and the bog standard gentle sessions depending on days of week.

It's no like I'm not seeing improvement either just dont get it. Still going and doing but the zip and buzz ain't even there.

I hate feeling like this. Caught myself surfing the net in the gym today!!! I despise myself for that!!!

What about taking a week or two off, you'd be surprised how motivated you can feel after having a bit of time out.

Thought about that. But got a week away in April and was planning to have a break then.

Maybe just one of these things and need to power through.

Maybe look at refreshing your routine then as suggested, I changed a few weeks ago and am currently the most motivated I've ever been.

Just knocked 4 secs off my 2km row. Down from 7.17 to 7.13!

Also some good modest weight and fat loss over the last few weeks!

Snake Plissken

Worked out a Japanese cooncil gym today, pretty limited in terms of equipment but there was a lifting platform and a squat rack. The bench was in use the whole time :muggy: first by a wee old boy who was casually pumping out reps at 80kg :lol: and then a pack of youngsters snatched it and seemed to do about twenty sets each at 60kg.

Probably going to have to spring for the Gold's membership in about a month.

Clark Griswold

when following this are you eating what they tell you and buying the supplements?

I'm following the rule of thirds with complex carbs, protein and veg/fruit. I am taking so lean protein too. It's only been 8 days since starting but am noticing a difference in my fat loss with muscle gain. Leg day is a killer :-( On the plus side though, seen a certain mr holt in the gym this morning :-)

Edited by Tony_Hearts

Anyone tried the Smolov squat training? Claims it adds 100lbs to your squat in 13 weeks. Aspiring powerlifter I know is doing it at the moment, tracking his progress on Facebook/ YouTube!

Before Christmas went through a pretty inconsistent phase of lifting, body fat increased a fair amount.

From Christmas I was lifting heavy and eating big through January and February, put on a lot of muscle but overall still carrying a fair bit of fat.

Started to cut from the beginning of the month, I never try to focus on scales too much, prefer to see the changes in the mirror.

Worried that I could be cutting too quick, definitely lost a fair bit of fat and from what I can tell I am maintaining my muscle. All weights below are taking at the same time in the morning before my workout, fasted, after a pint of water first thing.

Height wise I am approx 6ft 1".

2wcfdz8.jpg

You seem to have been especially hairy on the 11th.

:stuart: I think that was the morning the flash went off on my camera and everyone around me looked round :silviodamn:

Guest C00l K1d

Starting next week.

My birsd has set out that she's going to get healthy and in shape, so i've told her i'm going to match her.

She'll lose interest before i do so it's a bit of a challenge thing we'll have going on. I'm defo going to do it this time when i get paid. Get this PT sorted out for a few sessions and get on it.

With lack of work i'm bored as feck so no point in sitting around on my arse all day.

I'm just going to join now infact why not? I'm sure i can go a tenner down until I get paid. I know there was a code that cancelled out the joining fee for Pure Granton. Anyone got this?

Edited by The Heartbreak Kid

Starting next week.

My birsd has set out that she's going to get healthy and in shape, so i've told her i'm going to match her.

She'll lose interest before i do so it's a bit of a challenge thing we'll have going on. I'm defo going to do it this time when i get paid. Get this PT sorted out for a few sessions and get on it.

With lack of work i'm bored as feck so no point in sitting around on my arse all day.

I'm just going to join now infact why not? I'm sure i can go a tenner down until I get paid. I know there was a code that cancelled out the joining fee for Pure Granton. Anyone got this?

I know the no joining fee code.

But you were being an utter welt in other threads related to the gym. Despite the support you previously had in here.

:(

Creepy Lurker

But you were being an utter welt in other threads related to the gym. Despite the support you previously had in here.

:jjyay:

Guest C00l K1d

I turned heel.

It's what kb wanted.