Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I had planned to go in a big cut before going away but wanted to get started on the core at the moment.

Still doing the 5 compounds (bench, squat, dead, row and clean + jerk) 3 times a week although only got a week and a half left of that.

Usually throw a few weighted crunches and basic ab workouts in twice a week but i wondered if anyone had any properly structured program's that they've seen success from.

Right, I'm looking to have a cut, but I'm genuinely not sure how to do it. Is this a case of cutting calories or is there more to it than that?

:sob:

Snake Plissken

I rate cable crunches and weighted leg raises for working core but as others have said, I don't think a workout dedicated only to core is an especially good use of gym time.

I barely did any core work at all during my Jan-March cut (or cardio for that matter). You get abs with <10% body-fat and you get <10% body-fat through diet and lifting. Your diet will have a much bigger impact on your abs than dozens of core exercises will.

Shall be cutting soon.

Do you think it can be done with diet alone?

Or do you think cardio is essential?

Shall be cutting soon.

I think you need some form of cardio to cut properly. The more high intensity, the better. You can eat as lean as you want, but I can see you plateauing at a certain point. Unless of course you have the aesthetics of a greek god, then I hate you :lol:

I rate cable crunches and weighted leg raises for working core but as others have said, I don't think a workout dedicated only to core is an especially good use of gym time.

I barely did any core work at all during my Jan-March cut (or cardio for that matter). You get abs with <10% body-fat and you get <10% body-fat through diet and lifting. Your diet will have a much bigger impact on your abs than dozens of core exercises will.

I'd never go to the gym specifically for a core workout, I usually put it on the end of a normal workout.

I think I'll stick to putting in some regular core workouts and I'll be starting my cut closer to going away.

Shall be cutting soon.

Decrease your calories as you go and when you begin to plateau then you can throw in some cardio to see you through it.

Creepy Lurker

I'd say cutting can be done with diet alone but it means cutting a lot more calories out. Cardio should be added slowly to help with plateaus, imo.

The People's Chimp

Thoughts on 2 games of 5s a week being enough cardio if cutting? I'm on one game a week, and might start playing a 2nd game a week. Both would be high tempo games, so pretty much an hour of HIIT.

Snake Plissken

Thoughts on 2 games of 5s a week being enough cardio if cutting? I'm on one game a week, and might start playing a 2nd game a week. Both would be high tempo games, so pretty much an hour of HIIT.

Only if you don't go in goals :lol:

As I said on the other page, my cut didn't involve any cardio until the last couple of weeks when I was plateauing a little. Before that I was getting lean entirely through diet. But once I hit that 10% mark (approximately), that's when I needed to move a little more. I started doing burpees and mountain climbers first thing in the morning and just a few minutes of high intensity cardio (like 5-10 minutes at 16 km/h or 12 km/h with the incline up to 12/13) after workouts. That seemed to do the trick and it helped me shave off a couple percent extra.

If I'd have had the option to play fives instead, I'd have happily done that. I don't think it's all that important how you create the deficit, so long as you do create it. Diet will get you most of the way there and really is the number one concern when it comes to cutting.

I'm finding a 20 length sprint in the pool (8 minutes of high intensity) at the end of every weights session has stopped my plateau and I'm losing weight again.

Down to 16st 12 from a start point of 18st 3 a year and a half ago.

Only losing a pound a month on average, but I'm making lifestyle changes rather than living like a saint.

Hoping the slower pace of weight loss will make it easier to keep off.

Makes sense.

Just hate the tredmill.

I'd rather do a wee curcuit with body weight work or kettlebells etc if I'm to add cardio to this next cut.

Going on holiday in 19 weeks.

Unsure when to start. Maybe a but early. But similarly I don't want to leave it too late and drop weight so fast I'm probably losing more muscle mass than I want to.

If you're a member of a gym that has metafit classes, go to them. You're talking 23 minutes a class & it's just pure HIIT exercises (depending on how hard you actually push yourself)

Alternatively, 20 minutes HIIT exercise daily will help I reckon. That's what I'm going to attempt anyway.

it'll be the not eating so much shite that could be the issue.

ThisHeartsStillBeating

Makes sense.

Just hate the tredmill.

I'd rather do a wee curcuit with body weight work or kettlebells etc if I'm to add cardio to this next cut.

Going on holiday in 19 weeks.

Unsure when to start. Maybe a but early. But similarly I don't want to leave it too late and drop weight so fast I'm probably losing more muscle mass than I want to.

Thought about getting out of the gym for your cardio? Cycling and jogging outside are infinitely more fun outside than in the gym, especially if the weather is decent. I'm struggling a bit just now. A bit lost. Maybe folk on here can help.Got a knee injury which is pretty much restricting anything I can do leg wise, so finding it hard to put together a routine. I want a compound based routine like a guy a few pages discussed, anyone advise me on this routine I am thinking of doing?BenchDipsPull UpsMilitary PressBent over rowAnd then my knee can just about handle leg press and stiff legged dead lifts (maybe only once a week)Do people think this would be ok three times a week? I'm a bit worried about the lack of variety in it, but I just want to keep it as simple as possible.Sorry about the format, not letting me put spaces for some reason.

Edited by ThisHeartsStillBeating

I've been hitting 5 compounds (deads, bench, squats, rows and clean + jerk) for 5 weeks now - 4 sets of 6 although lately been mixing this up a bit and some sessions doing smaller sets on bigger weights.

It's been a good program, and I've definitely increased my strength a fair bit.

As for exercises you can do without injuring the knee further, I'm not so sure but I'm sure a few on here will have some ideas for you mate.

PS. The Doms :sob:

ThisHeartsStillBeating

:lol:

I've done full body workouts before so well aware of that doms feel!

Just don't know how effective the routine will be without squats and deads. Mind you, the hodge twins don't do them and it never harmed them!

If you're a member of a gym that has metafit classes, go to them. You're talking 23 minutes a class & it's just pure HIIT exercises (depending on how hard you actually push yourself)

Alternatively, 20 minutes HIIT exercise daily will help I reckon. That's what I'm going to attempt anyway.

it'll be the not eating so much shite that could be the issue.

Good advice.

Metafit is nougats!

Have been ignoring my calves for quite a while (I know) and gave them a good hammering on Thurs...still struggling to walk.

Have been ignoring my calves for quite a while (I know) and gave them a good hammering on Thurs...still struggling to walk.

Been guilty of this a few times.

Minimum of 4 days until you walk normal again.

Disgusting.

Getting shoulder pain when doing chest presses an shoulder presses.

Narrowed it down to the teres minor or thereabouts.

Doesn't seem to be getting any better and it's now stopping me from lifting.

Left calf is still sore :lol:

Looking at coming off the 5 compounds 3 times a week program after this (the 6th) week. Does anyone have any recommendations for good program's to follow up?

Looking to add mass, before going on a cut for an August holiday.

Left calf is still sore :lol:

Looking at coming off the 5 compounds 3 times a week program after this (the 6th) week. Does anyone have any recommendations for good program's to follow up?

Looking to add mass, before going on a cut for an August holiday.

What was your compound programme?

Bench, deads, squats, clean + press and rows - 4 sets of 6 reps. Although have been switching it up a bit and doing less reps and higher weights, as my body was starting to get used to the 4 x 6.

Bench, deads, squats, clean + press and rows - 4 sets of 6 reps. Although have been switching it up a bit and doing less reps and higher weights, as my body was starting to get used to the 4 x 6.

All in the same sesh isn't my bag.

Much prefer slotting up the muscle groups.

Bench on chest day

Squat on leg day

Deads on back day

OHP on shoulder day

Snake Plissken

All in the same sesh isn't my bag.

Much prefer slotting up the muscle groups.

Bench on chest day

Squat on leg day

Deads on back day

OHP on shoulder day

Agreed.

I did the whole all in the same day thing when I was cutting and all my lifts were much poorer than they would have been if I was blasting them on different days. I even started splitting my leg days into two so I could squat one day and Romanian dead on another. So now I'm in a state of perpetual leg DOMS :sob:

Am I one of the only people that does deadlifts on leg day? Everyone I talk to questions why I do them on the same day as my squats. I do stiff-legged & sumo deads, so I'm not utilising my back as much as I would on a normal deadlift, but on occasion, I'll do regular deads on leg day. Am I doing it all wrong?

I used to do conventional Deads on leg day, done after my squats.

When I moved the Deads to back day I gained 20kg almost immediately. :lol:

Much prefer it now. I do bent over rows afterwords, which always feel super light after pulling 100 to 200 kg off the floor.

I'll still deadlift on leg day too, but I do stiff leg for the hammies.

No idea what Ausioslave's post means??

Stuart McNeill

The reason Hodgetwins dont do deadlifts because I'm sure there backs are quite prone to being injured so they stay away from them.

Legs are aching today. =[

The reason Hodgetwins dont do deadlifts because I'm sure there backs are quite prone to being injured so they stay away from them.

Same as me, avoid deadlifts as even when i go really light it still kills my back and the following days are torture. Annoying as they are an awesome exercise!

Creepy Lurker

Spoke to my coach today and he'll be getting me matched for a fight this summer. C class Muay Thai or K1 rules.

68kg :muggy:

Creepy Lurker

I'll never be as good at fighting as Kearney is at singing, but if I can inspire a generation in the way that he did then I'll die a happy man (hopefully not as a result of getting battered).

Edit: all going well I'll be fighting 26th July at Headhunters Fighting Championship in Larbert. It's run by the gym I'll be training at, plus it gives me time for a couple of months of hard training once my exams are out of the way. If not it'll be a different show but around the same time.

68 kg :sob:

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Creepy Lurker

At Enfusion? Alex hasn't said anything, but I think the Polish channels etc usually show Enfusion shows. Not sure if there'll be a stream.

At Enfusion? Alex hasn't said anything, but I think the Polish channels etc usually show Enfusion shows. Not sure if there'll be a stream.

Had a look at one of the promo vids and they seem a pretty big outfit so hopeful there might be a stream on the go or at the very least it will be uploaded at a later date.

Creepy Lurker

Yeah, I know a lot of the Polish guys from the gym were able to get his last fight at Enfusion on Polish TV but don't know about streams etc. Fairly sure Enfusion upload stuff though.

Guest C00l K1d

I'd be interested in seeing Creepy Lurker get his heed kicked in :jjyay:

In all seriousness though good luck, muay thai looks brutal.

On another note can anyone recommend me some training trainers? All the trainers i've got just aren't cut out for actually doing exercise in and just leave me in terrible blisters. I've been around the nike shop and they're either too expensive or don't have my size. I've been looking at the new balance range and they feel pretty comfy and won't leave my feet in a state but they're 50/60. I can stretch to it if need be but only looking to spend about ?40 max if im honest.

Creepy Lurker

What kind of training? If it's for running etc I like Asics gel whereas if you're wanting to lift and don't want to spend a lot of money then I'd say probably just wear any trainers and take them off before squatting, deadlifting etc.

Edit: not enough etc in this post, imo.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

What kind of training? If it's for running etc I like Asics gel whereas if you're wanting to lift and don't want to spend a lot of money then I'd say probably just wear any trainers and take them off before squatting, deadlifting etc.

Pure ask you to put them back on :lol:

Creepy Lurker

It honestly sounds like Pure are turning into a parody of everything that's wrong with every commercial gym. :lol:

Guest C00l K1d

Yeah running pretty much.

Just going to stick to cardio atm until i feel in myself a bit fitter and fresher. Then i'll go 4 gainz. Plus i've gone my shoulder in badly :laugh: (see wwe thread)

Edited by The Heartbreak Kid

Mr Brightside

Yeah running pretty much.

Just going to stick to cardio atm until i feel in myself a bit fitter and fresher. Then i'll go 4 gainz. Plus i've gone my shoulder in badly :laugh: (see wwe thread)

If they are for running you should get a pair that suits your gait. Run for it on Lothian road will check your running style and show you some options. I think you would pay about ?80 upwards.

Twin layer socks and wrapping each toe in zinc oxide tape helps with blisters.

Running? Weirdo.

:lol:

On a serious note, absolutely loving the adidas power perfect weightlifting shoes.

I've immediately added 10kg to front and back squats.

140kg for sets of 5 on back and was toiling at 130.

I do fronts after so they're never particularly heavy, but can get a double at 100 and was toiling to reach triple figures on a regular basis.

Edited by Sten Guns