Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Guest C00l K1d

Which gym did you join?

I'm gonna join pure when i get that code.

Not paying an extra ?25 or whatever it is for nout :laugh:

See the granton was is still ?11 a month, anyone know how much it bumps upto if you add a 2nd gym?

Edited by The Heartbreak Kid

I'm gonna join pure when i get that code.

Not paying an extra ?25 or whatever it is for nout :laugh:

See the granton was is still ?11 a month, anyone know how much it bumps upto if you add a 2nd gym?

?17 I think.

FYI you won't get gainz if you don't sauna/steam/jacuzzi.

Guest C00l K1d

?17 I think.

FYI you won't get gainz if you don't sauna/steam/jacuzzi.

I'll fart in the bath when i get home.

Cheers sten i'll try not humilate you when i go full arnie mode

I'll fart in the bath when i get home.

Cheers sten i'll try not humilate you when i go full arnie mode

You can help him with his needles :)

You can help him with his needles :)

Haha. I canny even give blood, never mind inject myself.

Creepy Lurker

Doing another interclub tomorrow. Been training hard since last time, looking forward to an improved performance.

Doing another interclub tomorrow. Been training hard since last time, looking forward to an improved performance.

Do you ever film these?

Would be good to see.

Guest C00l K1d

A bit different to folks normals routines but we recently did a job at SECC for that les mills. Has anyone done anything like that? Personally wouldnt have done it myself but it looks quite demanding, especially since folk were doing classes from around 9am-6pm and it was full on.

It was like a big cult it was weird

Generic Username

I'd like to see footage of Creepy roundhouse kicking some foamer in the head as well.

In other news, I did a big plop this morning and my two pound GAINZ were literally flushed away.

Creepy Lurker

Hoping for video footage tonight! Was told last time that there'd be a video but if there was then no-one showed it to me. Will post the video if there is one. :)

Creepy Lurker

Training at Stirling Uni just now mate, train at Headhunters when I'm in Edinburgh but not been since August. Was training at Headhunters in Falkirk over December and January. Alex from Headhunters is coaching the uni club now, though.

Creepy Lurker

Too many people turned up and as a result a few people had to miss out due to lack of time. I was one of them. Pretty gutted as I've been training hard for this.

A bit different to folks normals routines but we recently did a job at SECC for that les mills. Has anyone done anything like that? Personally wouldnt have done it myself but it looks quite demanding, especially since folk were doing classes from around 9am-6pm and it was full on.

BodyPump is a good introduction to free weights if you've not done them before, the other classes are mostly cardio based.

Like all classes, they are good motivation if you can't motivate yourself to work hard enough in the gym.

The one day courses for instructors are hard going. You need to be super fit and used to that type of exercise.

The idea behind Les Mills classes is that they are choreographed so you should get the same class taught to you no matter where you are or who the instructor is.

The majority of folk on the thread are more about body building so you won't get much interest in classes, not enough gainz to be made, but if you like classes then there is nothing wrong with them.

Training at Stirling Uni just now mate, train at Headhunters when I'm in Edinburgh but not been since August. Was training at Headhunters in Falkirk over December and January. Alex from Headhunters is coaching the uni club now, though.

Ah right! I know a few of the guys that go to Headhunters, all very loyal to Alex!

Guest C00l K1d

BodyPump is a good introduction to free weights if you've not done them before, the other classes are mostly cardio based.

Like all classes, they are good motivation if you can't motivate yourself to work hard enough in the gym.

The one day courses for instructors are hard going. You need to be super fit and used to that type of exercise.

The idea behind Les Mills classes is that they are choreographed so you should get the same class taught to you no matter where you are or who the instructor is.

The majority of folk on the thread are more about body building so you won't get much interest in classes, not enough gainz to be made, but if you like classes then there is nothing wrong with them.

I think that's what i was. They were training up the instructors, but i think anybody could go along if they bought a ticket.

Something like ?75 entry, but then you need to spend more money on the individual classes/excercises.

Not something i'd be interested in, just looked a proper hard day though for them :laugh:

Fwiw i've had to put the gym on hold the now. Got a few long days at work just come up and i'm absolutely choked with the cold. Should be entirely free next week as it goes so will sign up for Monday. Think i might miss the derby too :( Hopefully not though.

The People's Chimp

I'd like to see footage of Creepy roundhouse kicking some foamer in the head as well.

:lol:

This.

Was some goon in tonight who I was sure was going about trolling folk as he was such a rasper. Asking folk to work in, doing 1 or 2 sets, dropping weights as loudly as possible, then going to ask someone else to work in with them on something else, one or two sets...repeat. Bizarre.

Snake Plissken

That sentence is more accurate than you'd believe :lol:

I used to work at a large chain and the classes were always packed. From memory, here's a synopsis of the classes:

Body Pump - you're doing about 6000 reps with very light weight so unless you're really puny, you aren't going to see much in the way of gains from it. You won't learn much about technique either, total pish.

Body Combat - in a nutshell it's punching and kicking the air to music for about an hour. This one used to be really popular where I worked, weirdos used to wear ******* hand-wraps to them :lol:

Body Attack - dance and jump around for an hour, if you don't wreck your knees, you might burn a few calories.

Body Balance - elements of yoga and t'ai chi, this one's not that bad but you'd be better off going to an actual yoga class if that's what you're looking for.

Less Mills classes seemed to be more about belonging to a group than actually making any real progress.

Snake Plissken

Diet's not been great since I moved but that'll be sorted next week as I'm now in more permanent accommodation.

Benching triple figures again is nice though.

What are my brah's opinions on yoga..?

Good for flexibility but filled with a barrel load of "chi" bollocks.

You could do the stretches in half the time and not listen to some old woman wittering on about inner calm.

That sentence is more accurate than you'd believe :lol:

I used to work at a large chain and the classes were always packed. From memory, here's a synopsis of the classes:

Body Pump - you're doing about 6000 reps with very light weight so unless you're really puny, you aren't going to see much in the way of gains from it. You won't learn much about technique either, total pish.

Body Combat - in a nutshell it's punching and kicking the air to music for about an hour. This one used to be really popular where I worked, weirdos used to wear ******* hand-wraps to them :lol:

Body Attack - dance and jump around for an hour, if you don't wreck your knees, you might burn a few calories.

Body Balance - elements of yoga and t'ai chi, this one's not that bad but you'd be better off going to an actual yoga class if that's what you're looking for.

Less Mills classes seemed to be more about belonging to a group than actually making any real progress.

Would agree with most of that.

I'd say on the Pump / technique thing it depends on the quality of the instructor. Some see it as their main job to correct bad form, the bad ones will teach it like they're in an exercise video.

With regards to being part of a group, rather than making real progress, that's kind of true, but you're looking at it from the perspective of someone who has exercised all their life.

If you're on this thread, you probably do more exercise than 80-90% of the population.

About 50% of the population do feck all and some of the other 50% do stuff like golf, walk or swim very slowly, that will burn calories but barely get their heart rate up.

So for more than half the population, Les Mills is a massive improvement and in that sense, if it gets someone into fitness, it is real progress.

Good for flexibility but filled with a barrel load of "chi" bollocks.

You could do the stretches in half the time and not listen to some old woman wittering on about inner calm.

Quite fancy trying it out at Virgin, hopefully would be a decent instructor.

Generic Username

Can you lot who are more ITK with this type of rubbish chuck a few suggestions for things to do to work my back that won't involve me faffing about with in the squat rack.

Can you lot who are more ITK with this type of rubbish chuck a few suggestions for things to do to work my back that won't involve me faffing about with in the squat rack.

Pull ups & chin ups.

Single arm dumbbell rows.

Lat pull downs. 3 variations - Over hand. Under Hand & v bar.

Seated rows.

Reverse flies.

Straight arm pull down.

Very good. Did a beginners course last year at union and really enjoyed it. Massive benefit in injury prevention.

I'm hungry as **** ALL the time since I ditched the 1RM's and moved to more working sets at 5 reps.

Coincidental?

Either way, literally constantly hungry the now.

Snake Plissken

Depends on the instructor.

I'm not really that interested in it but my bursd is a newly qualified instructor so I've been going along to show support and helped her practice. There's different types of yoga and some are more focused on all that chanting pish, others are more about the stretches and balance. The latter ones are a pretty decent compliment to lifting and a little extra flexibility and core stability helps.

I'd go with Sten's list, I'd add one of my personal favourites to it: dumbbell pullovers.

You get a good stretch and it hits the chest and core at the same time.

Shrugs are good for building up the traps, you can do them with dumbbells if you don't want to use a bar.

If you find pull-ups too much, you could do Australian pull-ups on a Smith Machine. Lock the bar at about waist height and let the backs of your heels take your weight, then pull. Like a pull-up but the angle offsets your body-weight a lot more so you'll be able to bang out a good few reps.

If you find pull-ups too much, you could do Australian pull-ups on a Smith Machine. Lock the bar at about waist height and let the backs of your heels take your weight, then pull. Like a pull-up but the angle offsets your body-weight a lot more so you'll be able to bang out a good few reps.

You can also pop the bar up a bit higher and put your feet on a Swiss ball rather than the floor.

I prefer doing it that way.

Depends on the instructor.

I'm not really that interested in it but my bursd is a newly qualified instructor so I've been going along to show support and helped her practice. There's different types of yoga and some are more focused on all that chanting pish, others are more about the stretches and balance. The latter ones are a pretty decent compliment to lifting and a little extra flexibility and core stability helps.

Is she available for 1 to 1 lessons?

Snake Plissken

Cheeky scamps :lol:

In other news, I was given a free pass for Gold's and went along.

**** me. Now that's a gym, loads of benches and free weights, hammer strength machines and pretty much everything I could have wanted. It's pricey but I think I'm going to have to go for it, the wee public gym I'm using only has one bench and the dumbbells don't go past 36kg. What's a few yen when there's gainz to be had?

Cheeky scamps :lol:

In other news, I was given a free pass for Gold's and went along.

**** me. Now that's a gym, loads of benches and free weights, hammer strength machines and pretty much everything I could have wanted. It's pricey but I think I'm going to have to go for it, the wee public gym I'm using only has one bench and the dumbbells don't go past 36kg. What's a few yen when there's gainz to be had?

What do you do after you've warmed up????

Leg day yesterday with a couple of PB's.

Bearing in mind, I strolled into the gym at 8pm, right at it's busiest time & I'm expecting to have to wait on a squat rack - both were free. Benches as usual were absolutely rammed...

Anyway - up to 130kg x 5 on back squats & up to 2 sets of 400kg x 4 on the leg press. Maintaining about 120kg x 6 on deadlifts, but hopefully this will go up in the next 4-5 weeks.

:pleasing:

Generic Username

Starting to lose the rag with Virgin.

6 benches in the whole place. SIX.

Place was totally stowed yesterday evening. Went along as late as possible thinking "It'll be dead at the back of 9" - rammed.

SIX BENCHES!

There was a boy sat on one of the leg press machines last night with his hands behind his head, doing nothing, from when I walked in at 9 till I got on a bench at 25 past. Just sat chilling out on the leg press machine. Arsehole.