Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Apologies, I think I posted in the wrong thread when I asked about burning some fat and getting fit.

Fitness snobbery :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Creepy Lurker

Apologies, I think I posted in the wrong thread when I asked about burning some fat and getting fit.

Fitness snobbery :lol:

Okay, bye.

The past couple of pages are doing a sterling job of putting off the resolutioners.

Wasn't everyone a resolutioner at one point?

Creepy Lurker

Yes, every single one of us decided on January 1st that we were going to get into fitness.

Edit: in all seriousness, it was a bit hard to answer your original question as your aims are a bit vague. You said that you want to get fitter and mentioned fives and also mentioned putting on mass, but you didn't really say which is the priority. To an extent as a beginner you can probably manage both if you use a decent beginner's lifting programme and do cardio maybe 2-3 times a week.

I didn't mean to seem like I was trying to put anyone off. I answered a specific point that BigC made, Bruce Willis asked me to explain it and then went off on some weird trip about how I was apparently being confrontational. I think I could hazard a guess as to why he's just such a chip on his shoulder, but whatever; I didn't mean to seem like I was trying to put anyone off.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

The People's Chimp

Wasn't everyone a resolutioner at one point?

As creepy said, it was a mass decision on 1st January.

That aside, when you regularly go to the gym and turn up at the beginning of January and can't get near a bench, rack, or a decent machine, and queue to get some pull ups in, it can get quite tiresome. However, all those uncancelled direct debits keep the price down for the rest of us, so a busy January is perhaps a small price to pay. :)

As creepy said, it was a mass decision on 1st January.

How pedantic.

Every single person has made a resolution to get fit/bulk up/whatever. Doesn't matter what month it is, you still made a resolution.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

The People's Chimp

How pedantic.

Every single person has made a resolution to get fit/bulk up/whatever. Doesn't matter what month it is, you still made a resolution.

Dry your eyes. :lol: It's a specific term to describe those who make NY resolutions to get fit and clog up gyms for a most of January. Sorry that seems to offend you.

As for my "resolution" - you're confusing decision and resolution.

Dry your eyes. :lol: It's a specific term to describe those who make NY resolutions to get fit and clog up gyms for a most of January. Sorry that seems to offend you.

As for my "resolution" - you're confusing decision and resolution.

You seem angry, too much roids today?

::troll:::'>

Edited by hmfc_liam06

My cardio is absolutely horrendous. Chest pains after half a mile.

Made the decision to try and improve this and I've set an initial goal of 1.5 miles in 12 minutes and I'm no where near this time.

What's the best way to improve? Is it just a simple case of going running every few nights and hopefully get quicker times after each session?

Creepy Lurker

You seem angry, too much roids today?

%20br=

Good luck with your staying the exact same goals for 2014.

Some good advice on how to go to the gym five times a week, not get any fitter and still look the exact same years down the line while telling people who actually make progress that they're wrong on this thread. Fill your boots, mate.

My cardio is absolutely horrendous. Chest pains after half a mile.

Made the decision to try and improve this and I've set an initial goal of 1.5 miles in 12 minutes and I'm no where near this time.

What's the best way to improve? Is it just a simple case of going running every few nights and hopefully get quicker times after each session?

If you want to progress quickly then every few nights doesn't sound like much. I'd say run about 3-5 times a week. Mixing up steady state cardio (ie a longish run at a pace which is challenging but that you can keep up) with high intensity interval training (ie 30 seconds sprint, 2 minutes at a lower pace repeated 6-8 times) would be a good idea.

If your aim's to get better at running, when you're just starting out you don't need to complicate things too much. Make sure you buy good running shoes to protect you from injury, though.

Eta: Herbalife or not, I'd like to get to know Summer.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Started my first post before this was up.

If it's all your schedule allows then I'd say weights then cardio. An optimal training programme is one which fits in with your life. Another solution would be to eat less and cut out the cardio. I'm.also not a massive plan of body part splits for novice to intermediate lifters, nut I still do think 3 sessions a week's a good number.

On a personal note I reckon I won't be lifting for a while as I'm loving the MT club I'm training at in Falkirk just now. Great buzz around the place and top notch coaching. Really just want to be there every day just now. Will start lifting again when I'm back at uni in February.

Another question...

I finish work at six and there is a game of fives 6-7pm.

I used to do that instead of weights but I'm trying to stick to 3 lifting sessions a week minimum, so I still play, but I do my chest / triceps exercises afterwards.

My lifting performance isn't as good, but I figured I'd still see improvements if I'm lifting to fail.

Are you suggesting that I'd be better just doing an hour or do of weights, not playing fives and not doing any cardio beforehand?

Seems like a lot less work for a lot more benefit!

On the splits, are you saying I should do upper/lower and do more than one session a week?

Should I just do major compounds every time?

Why would doing different areas on different days not be optimal, just because I'm at the intermediate stage?

Creepy Lurker

Another question...

I finish work at six and there is a game of fives 6-7pm.

I used to do that instead of weights but I'm trying to stick to 3 lifting sessions a week minimum, so I still play, but I do my chest / triceps exercises afterwards.

My lifting performance isn't as good, but I figured I'd still see improvements if I'm lifting to fail.

Are you suggesting that I'd be better just doing an hour or do of weights, not playing fives and not doing any cardio beforehand?

Seems like a lot less work for a lot more benefit!

On the splits, are you saying I should do upper/lower and do more than one session a week?

Should I just do major compounds every time?

Why would doing different areas on different days not be optimal, just because I'm at the intermediate stage?

I'm not that big a fan of lifting to failure as a deliberate strategy in every session to be honest. Think it holds you back in the long term.

In terms of lifting performance I'd say that even doing the upper body you'll still perform better by dropping the fives. Depends how much you enjoy it and what's most important to you, though.

Not so much saying you should do upper/lower as more of a basic strength programme. As a beginner or intermediate you'll progress more hitting the same muscle groups multiple times a week than just the one. It should be mainly compound lifts, but some isolation stuff as assistance is fine.

As far as taking the cardio out being less work for more benefit goes I'd say that in general it is, but if you've been doing it for a while now then I don't know how much you'd need to reduce food intake to keep losing weight. Could be quite a lot, so if you were going to reduce cardio I'd maybe take a diet break for a few weeks at the same time before getting back into it. If you do want to keep doing the cardio (and I'm not saying not to, obviously there are loads of benefits to it) I'd definitely say lift first.

The People's Chimp

Coming from position of loving 5s and not from CL's lifting knowledge, I'd say if you enjoy 5s then just keep to that, but maybe look at it as an added extra, rather than a session? Stick with the 3 gym sessions on top of that but go a different night to the gym? I'm saying that as someone who got back into the gym again as I wanted more upper body strength for 5s though. Wouldn't want to give up 5s completely, but have sacked off one of my 2 games I played in per week.

Coming from position of loving 5s and not from CL's lifting knowledge, I'd say if you enjoy 5s then just keep to that, but maybe look at it as an added extra, rather than a session? Stick with the 3 gym sessions on top of that but go a different night to the gym? I'm saying that as someone who got back into the gym again as I wanted more upper body strength for 5s though. Wouldn't want to give up 5s completely, but have sacked off one of my 2 games I played in per week.

More upper body strength for 5's?! One of the raj's that smashes folk into the boards/walls then eh

The People's Chimp

More upper body strength for 5's?! One of the raj's that smashes folk into the boards/walls then eh

Yes, because of all the roids I've been taking.

Creepy Lurker

Rib injuries are the ******* worst. :muggy:

Got hit last night in sparring in the exact same place I injured it last time, now it hurts to yawn and I can't lie on my side in bed. :lol:

Yes, because of all the roids I've been taking.

Knew it!! Seriously nothing worse than folk smashing you against the wall. It's five a sides!

What's with all the butt hurt stereotype posts lately.

Folk realising you can't get in shape in the space of one well behaved January? :lol:

Never had a rib injury but struggling to think of much worse than lower back issues.

If rib is as bad I hope to **** I never get it.

The People's Chimp

Folk realising you can't get in shape in the space of one well behaved January? :lol:

It's all a bit weird. As is not understanding that upper body strength can, er, help you play football.

It's all a bit weird. As is not understanding that upper body strength can, er, help you play football.

If that's aimed at me, I was only joking mate. I completely understand upper body strength helps playing football, it's why I joined the gym originally.

Can remember someone I know broke their ribs, seemed to be agony regardless of what you were doing!

The People's Chimp

If that's aimed at me, I was only joking mate. I completely understand upper body strength helps playing football, it's why I joined the gym originally.

Can remember someone I know broke their ribs, seemed to be agony regardless of what you were doing!

:lol:

no worries.

As for ribs, agony. I did mine on my ski season, not from skiing, but slipping on ice when one of my colleagues chased me for saying I quite fancied his sister who was visiting. :facepalm:

As for ribs, agony. I did mine on my ski season, not from skiing, but slipping on ice when one of my colleagues chased me for saying I quite fancied his sister who was visiting. :facepalm:

Ddi you manage to 'make it worthwhile'?? Surely would count as cardio, making it relevant to thread!

I've committed to doing a tough mudder with some mates, this year. The upper body stuff is fine.

However, running is a little bit of issue for me. I find it the most boring thing in the world. Anyone got any tips to make it bearable?

I've started off fairly gently tagging 5km runs on end of gym sessions. However, I'm going to have to up that and the thought of running for a few hours terrifies me.

Whilst I will have to start running on outside, which makes the thought even less bearable.

Any tips to make tolerable appreciated.

Done Tough Mudder last year and a bit like yourself im not the biggest fan of going running as i also find it boring if its anything over 10k. Its slightly easier if you have a running partner and run at a pace where you can maintain a conversation, found that passes time. We started off with doing a 5k a few times a week and slowly increased it. We only ever really done a 12k once or twice and as you know that is less than the 12 mile the tough mudder was but with all the obstacles you get a bit of a break to catch your breath. Plenty water stops and the adrenaline gets you through!

Thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from jumping in a skip full of ice water. ******* horrible!!!

In this month's M&F Arnie advocates Cardio and resistance training in the same session, is he wrong?

(Just playing Devil's advocate here guyz)

EDIT: specifically HIIT before weights.

Edited by Kurt

Never had a rib injury but struggling to think of much worse than lower back issues.

If rib is as bad I hope to **** I never get it.

Back or neck are both brutal. Can't lie in any position or move in any direction without pain. I have had a rib injury before and it certainly wasn't much fun but I'd definitely take it over back or neck.

Guest C00l K1d

I'll be signing up within the next couple weeks.

Going to get a personal trainer for a session or two, to get me started.

Tbf what's putting me of the most is im skinny as feck and i think folk will just rip into me. Everyone has to start somewhere and all that though :rolleyes:

Tbf what's putting me of the most is im skinny as feck and i think folk will just rip into me. Everyone has to start somewhere and all that though :rolleyes:

Don't worry about that at all. No one really says anything at the gym and if they do they are a bell. I've seen plenty of skinny people doing weights with no problem at all.

Don't be daft, mate.

You'll be fine.

In addition to the above, make sure to use a weight you're comfortable with. Don't try and go over the top just to impress because form goes down the drain. Don't worry what others think they'll be too busy minding themselves.

Creepy Lurker

In this month's M&F Arnie advocates Cardio and resistance training in the same session, is he wrong?

(Just playing Devil's advocate here guyz)

EDIT: specifically HIIT before weights.

Fate is a cruel mistress sometimes. I don't want to disagree with Arnold. :sob:

Sounds mental to me. What's the logic behind it? M&F is a terrible magazine, btw.

Fate is a cruel mistress sometimes. I don't want to disagree with Arnold. :sob:

Sounds mental to me. What's the logic behind it? M&F is a terrible magazine, btw.

Reading it over it suggests that there is a twofold benefit - firstly general cardiovascular health. But secondly and I think crucially, it seems to say that unless you are lifting upwards of two hours it can be very difficult to expend enough energy to burn enough calories to be in ultimate shape - I assume sub 7% BF. Baring in mind that in his Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding he advocates mental amounts of sets per exercise - something like 34 :lol:. I think it's just personal choice that he does it before lifting as he say's "he'd be worried to skip it after lifting and it's a great overall warm up".

Personally I always do 20 mins HIIT on the Arc trainer before lifting unless I'm going to football training or I'm sparring later.

On the subject of M&F, I like the nutrition and MMA articles and the features but the amount of adverts gets on my tits. I'm not really interested in buying anabol-bull-demon-heat-ize or whatever else they're plugging.

Snake Plissken

Day 11 of the cut and I'm down just under two kilos. Part of that will be water weight from coming off creatine but I'm significantly leaner, won't take much more to drop back under 10% BF.

Today was a full-body routine I've done a few times, mostly for fat burning, it's the closest I come to cardio these days. I do 50 reps of each exercise as fast as I can (apart from the first one which is 25 reps) and try to take as few rests as possible. The number in brackets represents the "sets" I did. I managed the chin-ups and push-ups in a oner but that took a lot out of me.

Chin-ups (25)

60kg Deadlifts (25, 15, 10)

50kg Squats (30, 20)

Push-Ups (50)

18kg DB clean and Press, 25 reps per arm (15, 15, 10, 10)

Leg Raises (20, 10, 10, 10)

Time: 16:52

I was absolutely dead by the end of that, only got through the leg raises through sheer force of will. My goal is to be able to smash through all of that in 15 minutes flat. Mrs Plissken beat my time by three seconds, she was doing half the weight but still... :lol:

Smashed last week's time, 12:10 :yas: no breaks on the squats or leg raises.

Next goal: under 10 minutes.

Creepy Lurker

Reading it over it suggests that there is a twofold benefit - firstly general cardiovascular health. But secondly and I think crucially, it seems to say that unless you are lifting upwards of two hours it can be very difficult to expend enough energy to burn enough calories to be in ultimate shape - I assume sub 7% BF. Baring in mind that in his Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding he advocates mental amounts of sets per exercise - something like 34 :lol:. I think it's just personal choice that he does it before lifting as he say's "he'd be worried to skip it after lifting and it's a great overall warm up".

Personally I always do 20 mins HIIT on the Arc trainer before lifting unless I'm going to football training or I'm sparring later.

On the subject of M&F, I like the nutrition and MMA articles and the features but the amount of adverts gets on my tits. I'm not really interested in buying anabol-bull-demon-heat-ize or whatever else they're plugging.

Still have to say I disagree with that. If it's about calorie burn then you could do the cardio whenever and it'd just be a case of the more the better. It sounds like it's just extra cardio to make it easier to maintain a deficit, which is fine, but in which case there'd be no special benefit to doing it before lifting.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Couple questions:

1. Is there any benefits of cutting down on fizzy drinks (Coke, Mountain Dew etc) in terms of fatigue / energy? I drink several bottle of fizzy juice throughout the day and have done for years now.

2. Is there any real benefits to 'no fap'?

Stuart McNeill
Couple questions:

1. Is there any benefits of cutting down on fizzy drinks (Coke, Mountain Dew etc) in terms of fatigue / energy? I drink several bottle of fizzy juice throughout the day and have done for years now.

2. Is there any real benefits to 'no fap'?

The benefits would come in the form of losing weight meaning you would be more fit which of course means you would have more energy and fatigue.

You could have more frustration and aggression and you could channel that into your work out and you could possibly be working out harder.

The benefits would come in the form of losing weight meaning you would be more fit which of course means you would have more energy and fatigue.

You could have more frustration and aggression and you could channel that into your work out and you could possibly be working out harder.

I'm not in a caloric deficit (even with cutting down fizzy drinks), so I won't lose weight.

I just seem to feel tired constantly, so got me thinking if potentially all the sugar / caffeine I'm consuming is causing this tiredness. Going to try reduce the amount I intake this week and see if I notice any benefits in terms of energy.

I'm not in a caloric deficit (even with cutting down fizzy drinks), so I won't lose weight.

I just seem to feel tired constantly, so got me thinking if potentially all the sugar / caffeine I'm consuming is causing this tiredness. Going to try reduce the amount I intake this week and see if I notice any benefits in terms of energy.

The refined sugar in the fizzy drinks will be causing the levels of insulin in your blood to be all over the shop - basically spiking and then troughing due to the high GI of sugars found in fizzy drinks. Pretty sure that's what's making you tired but I'm sure there's someone more qualified than me on here to explain.