Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Generic Username

First day back at the gym after sacking it for about a month. Within about 3 minutes I knew I'd have to cut the weight and the reps I was doing. Arms like a shitting dogs hind legs after 2 sets. Brutal.

Guest GhostHunter

Can someone explain to me why, at Pure (Glasgow), people insist on training on free weights wearing full street clobber ? Including those shan quilted/barbour type monstrosities ?

Seriously - I just don't get it

Generic Username

Can someone explain to me why, at Pure (Glasgow), people insist on training on free weights wearing full street clobber ? Including those shan quilted/barbour type monstrosities ?

Seriously - I just don't get it

I only went to the Pure in Glasgow once, on a Friday night. Never again. The free weights section was the biggest congregation of whoppers I've ever seen since the infamous JKB Christmas party of 05/06.

Guest GhostHunter

The day after the day after leg day.

Jelly legs today.

Not sore - just feel like I don't have any.

The People's Chimp

This morning I struggled to walk up two flights of stairs FFS. Cycled a good few miles last night, ran a good few kms and then had a quality workout at the gym. Today? Like a horse that needs to be put down.

As a member of Pure in Glasgow, lucky to say I've never seen the barbour crew, though I was guilty of wearing jeans once, as I forgot my shorts. Quite a few whoppers hanging about, but I suppose no more than the usual oddball element in any gym. There was a boy in last night wearing the campest get up ever, sort of stripey pyjama jester outfit is the only way I can describe it. He is an absolute tank though.

Edited by The People's Chimp

Guest GhostHunter

Talking of Pure in Glasgow - I note that they are closing the showers for nearly 2 weeks from this Friday.

Not impressed.

Talking of Pure in Glasgow - I note that they are closing the showers for nearly 2 weeks from this Friday.

Not impressed.

Is there a shower outside of the changing room area?

There is at ocean t anyway.

Even then, I guess it would be in demand.

Guest GhostHunter

Is there a shower outside of the changing room area?

There is at ocean t anyway.

Even then, I guess it would be in demand.

Yeah - one shower in the disabled area, and I think they're shutting that as well...

Creepy Lurker

Once saw an Asian guy lifting in a shirt and tie. Harrowing.

Last two weeks were my last two weeks in France and now I'm just back in Scotland, so diet's taking a bit of a back seat for me at the moment (still lifting and doing MT when I can). Feels good relaxing things a bit.

Last two weeks were my last two weeks in France and now I'm just back in Scotland, so diet's taking a bit of a back seat for me at the moment (still lifting and doing MT when I can). Feels good relaxing things a bit.

Seem that several times during my Virgin Active days. (Polwarth area)

Dress shoes, jeans and a shirt.

Lift, then go straight out in town.

Ridiculous.

Gym you using whilst you're back?

Now that I'm getting accurate times when I'm swimming, I'm smashing PB's and it's making me push myself much harder in the pool... Still trying to get to the gym a couple of times a week as well though.

Took 45secs off my 1km swim time, down from 18.17 last time to 17.33.

Quick question on supplements...

My goals is weight loss and I've lost some weight, but I'm at the point where I'm hungry a lot of the time and struggling to stay off snacks.

Will a wee bit of protein be beneficial if I'm using it to stop me snacking or is it just more calories I don't need?

Vincent B.A

Will a wee bit of protein be beneficial if I'm using it to stop me snacking or is it just more calories I don't need?

I drink protein shakes and it does absolutly nothing to supress my appetite. From what I've read, its good to eat water based foods to stop you from getting hungry such as grapes and tomatos. I tend to snack on a lot of fruit.

Generic Username

Absolutely crapped out of going to the gym this morning knowing it was my chest day. Haven't done it for about 5 weeks now and the thought of doing it makes me want to vomit my spinal fluid out.

Absolutely crapped out of going to the gym this morning knowing it was my chest day. Haven't done it for about 5 weeks now and the thought of doing it makes me want to vomit my spinal fluid out.

Best day of the week!

Creepy Lurker

Gym you using whilst you're back?

Was at Pure Gorgie before leaving but think I'll be looking elsewhere now as all I'm really using at the moment's the barbell and they only have two. Preferably not somewhere too expensive though, so I'm going to have a look around and see if anything fits the bill. If anyone could recommend anywhere I'd appreciate it actually.

Now that I'm getting accurate times when I'm swimming, I'm smashing PB's and it's making me push myself much harder in the pool... Still trying to get to the gym a couple of times a week as well though.

Took 45secs off my 1km swim time, down from 18.17 last time to 17.33.

Quick question on supplements...

My goals is weight loss and I've lost some weight, but I'm at the point where I'm hungry a lot of the time and struggling to stay off snacks.

Personally I find that eating a lot of small meals only makes me more hungry. When I've cut in the past I've done it by skipping breakfast and having three large meals in an eight hour window. Fitting in a snack in between meals might work better for you, though, and it's really something you have to experiment with for yourself.

Having said that almost everyone will find solid food more filling than a shake, so unless you're really pushed for time I'd say you're better off snacking on something solid.

Snake Plissken

I've found an eight(ish) hour window works best for me, I don't get hungry and hardly ever feel the need to snack. I keep the initial hunger at bay with black coffee, lots of water and green tea.

I piss every 15 minutes as a result.

Generic Username

Best day of the week!

I've convinced myself to go tomorrow. It's been a pleasure knowing you all.

Guest GhostHunter

I've found an eight(ish) hour window works best for me, I don't get hungry and hardly ever feel the need to snack. I keep the initial hunger at bay with black coffee, lots of water and green tea.

I piss every 15 minutes as a result.

Ah - I thought it was just me. Or old age.

I've convinced myself to go tomorrow. It's been a pleasure knowing you all.

Chest day, is Best day.

I do love chest day.

But my favourite exercises are, in order;

Deadlifts

Squats

Bench

The People's Chimp

No gym days are the best days.

I grudge every second spent in the gym.

I grudge it when other shit gets in the way and I miss a training session I'd planned. Gets me proper ratty.

Guest GhostHunter

I grudge it when other shit gets in the way and I miss a training session I'd planned. Gets me proper ratty.

Woah.

Deja Vu.

The People's Chimp

Woah.

Deja Vu.

:lol:

It was in my mind as I posted.

"Glad I missed a night out enjoying my life I was in the gym making all kinds of gains"

Not really what I mean. A shitty meeting at work that runs on for another 3 hours and I get out at 9pm, for example.

Any regular gym goers have kids.

The selfish git in me can't stop worrying about how bad an effect kids would have on my gym life.

:vrface:

Bad I know.

I drink protein shakes and it does absolutly nothing to supress my appetite. From what I've read, its good to eat water based foods to stop you from getting hungry such as grapes and tomatos. I tend to snack on a lot of fruit.

I am getting much better at eating fruit, but it barely fills me up and I end up craving stodgy food after half an hour.

Was at Pure Gorgie before leaving but think I'll be looking elsewhere now as all I'm really using at the moment's the barbell and they only have two. Preferably not somewhere too expensive though, so I'm going to have a look around and see if anything fits the bill. If anyone could recommend anywhere I'd appreciate it actually.

Personally I find that eating a lot of small meals only makes me more hungry. When I've cut in the past I've done it by skipping breakfast and having three large meals in an eight hour window. Fitting in a snack in between meals might work better for you, though, and it's really something you have to experiment with for yourself.

Having said that almost everyone will find solid food more filling than a shake, so unless you're really pushed for time I'd say you're better off snacking on something solid.

Skipping breakfast would be hard... But I might give it a bash.

It doesn't help that I work funny hours.

Today I'm 11.30 until 8pm.

Will be swimming after work so won't get dinner until 10ish, then I'm in 10-6 tomorrow.

Guest GhostHunter

Any regular gym goers have kids.

The selfish git in me can't stop worrying about how bad an effect kids would have on my gym life.

:vrface:

Bad I know.

Sigh - this is the only reason I go at 0400 every morning.

:(

Whats the deal with bench pressing? Never done it in my puff. I've filed it under 'bicep curls' in the are useless exercises category.

Convince me otherwise Kickback.

Whats the deal with bench pressing? Never done it in my puff. I've filed it under 'bicep curls' in the are useless exercises category.

Surely a troll??? No?!

Sigh - this is the only reason I go at 0400 every morning.

:(

Aw FFS.

Guest GhostHunter

Aw FFS.

I've promised them I'll get them childcare next year.

That way I won't need to lock them in the understairs cupboard every morning.

Surely a troll??? No?!

Nah, I just mainly do front, back and o/h squats, deadlifts and body weight stuff for weights. tried a bench press once but didnt really like it much. Never tried it again.

I'm the same, one bicep exercise a week and then abs everyday. Bitches love skinny abs.

Nah, I just mainly do front, back and o/h squats, deadlifts and body weight stuff for weights. tried a bench press once but didnt really like it much. Never tried it again.

What does doing your front involve?

What do you do for your chest?

What does doing your front involve?

What do you do for your chest?

By that I meant front squats.

I do pull ups. press ups, wall balls (20kg ball chucking it at a target 12ft up). loads of different stuff really. Just never seen the attraction with bench pressing. Plus, loads of folk I have seen doing it look like they have muscle tits, which personally. I dont want. I stand to be convinced of their usefulness though.

The People's Chimp

I just googled muscle tits to try and post an amusing picture. :lol: It's not recommended.

For weights I train at thomsons however my recommendation would be the pleasance mate.

Edinburgh University gym looks amazing.

Parking is an issue though.

Also over quite a few floors which can be a pain supposedly. And if the Edin Uni teams want to use any part of the gym they can just shut it off to anyone else.

Creepy Lurker

For weights I train at thomsons however my recommendation would be the pleasance mate.

Cheers mate, Pleasance was one of the ones I was thinking of so think I'll head over there at the weekend to check it out.

Edit: parking isn't an issue as I'd be getting the bus in anyway.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Cheers mate, Pleasance was one of the ones I was thinking of so think I'll head over there at the weekend to check it out.

Edit: parking isn't an issue as I'd be getting the bus in anyway.

Pleasance is - in my opinion - best in Edinburgh without a doubt. I also get the bus so parking no issue for me. I've trained there for nearly two years and never seen any part shut off once for any Uni teams, they have a separate gym for that. Well worth the money.