Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Snake Plissken

Sorry, just saw this. Didn't realise there was a new page.

Off days work well for some people, but for me they really don't work as I end up bingeing like **** on all the stuff I haven't been allowing myself. In terms of body composition a calorie is a calorie - there was a study recently where an American professor lost weight and improved body composition eating nothing but protein supplements and Twinkies, IIRC - but obviously in terms of satiety, performance and most importantly overall health it's best to compose the majority of your diet of whole, minimally processed foods regardless of whether you're bulking, cutting or maintaining. Basically, once you've met your micronutrient (vitamins, minerals, etc) needs and have consumed enough fibre, you're pretty much left with discretionary calories (providing you consume enough protein and fat). Obviously you have more discretionary calories if you're taking in more overall calories.

Alan Aragon explains it pretty well here:

http://www.wannabebi...n-clean-eating/

(one thing which may have become apparent recently is that I have some serious man love going on for Alan Aragon :laugh: )

Cheers Creeps.

Just the sort of thing I was looking for.

The concept 2 rowers allow you to set up any kind of interval you want. I like either 30 on 30 rest or 1 minute 10 secs on 40 secs rest. Decent.

That's the idea!

Or if you're a beginner you can play the fish game!

Generic Username

What's the deal with dames going to the gym with a full face of make-up and their paps hanging out, at 8 in the morning! You're there to work out no try and get your hole.

Creeps.

I haven't done exercise for a while and did bootcamp yesterday morning. I'm in a world of pain :sob:

Some girls at my work are doing boot camp at the meadows for the next ten weeks. They say its hard going but are enjoying it.

Creepy Lurker

:lol: Great picture mate.

What is your tattoo?

Cheers :)

It's a poppy with 'to absent friends' underneath it. Better picture:

poppy.jpg

Edit: that's when it was just done, hence the shininess. :laugh:

Edited by Creepy Lurker

whats everyones leg day routine?

I usually start with squats then follow with Lunges, (weighted lunges later), Leg press, Leg Curls. Deadlift aswell.. but do them most days. Was just wondering what people did differently to mix it up a bit.

scottish_chicP

Some girls at my work are doing boot camp at the meadows for the next ten weeks. They say its hard going but are enjoying it.

It is hard work but I enjoyed it. My only problem is it has to be very hot this Sat and in the sun it makes me feel a bit dizzy.

Guest GhostHunter

I'm the guy in the skull t-shirt. The one who very obviously just came.

I used to do TaeKwonDo (Black B) - a bit of Muay Thai, but unfortunately, time has caught up with me otherwise I'd love nothing more than to get in the ring and tear it up with MMA

:(

[edit] - had that been me on the receiving end of the kick, your knackers would be up around your throat :D

Generic Username

I usually start with squats then follow with Lunges, (weighted lunges later), Leg press, Leg Curls. Deadlift aswell.. but do them most days. Was just wondering what people did differently to mix it up a bit.

I'm a total novice compared to guys like Creepy/Sten/AP but I do;

Leg raise

Leg press

Leg curl

Calf raises

Goblet squats

With a few minutes on the treadmill at an incline to warm up. I know I should be doing squats but I've yet to do one and know if I have a bash without a chum there I'll end up swallowing the bar or some other nonsense.

Do 2 different leg days a week, one more quad focussed and the other tailored more to the hamstrings.

Leg day 1 (Quads)

Leg extensions - 3 x 20 reps very light to warm up my dodgy knees

Squats - 5 sets of 8-12. Increase weight/reduce reps as low as 6 where necessary.

Leg press (big plate loading sled one, not the same as in most commercial gyms) - 4 sets 15-20 reps, heavy as possible. Narrow foot position

Lunges with barbell on back - 3 sets of 10 per leg (alternate left/right)

Leg extensions - 3 sets of 15 followed by one triple dropset to finish

Leg day 2 (hams)

Leg curl - 3 sets of 15-20 light to warm up

Romanian deadlifts - 4 sets of 8-12

Walking lunges with barbell on back - 3 sets of 20 steps

Leg press (high feet position to bring more hams/glutes) - 3 sets 10-15

Leg curl - 3 sets of 15 followed by triple drop set to finish

I do two days because my legs need a battering to grow and i feel if you hammer the quads hard, the hamstrings will merit their own workout. I go as heavy as possible whilst maintaining full range of motion and good form. Everybody's definition of heavy is different but i'd say my intensity in these workouts is higher than any other body part.

This works for me, might not work for others. Some people's legs respond better to low reps, with even heavier weights. From experience, I respond better to high volume and more focus on a good contraction.

Should mention i train my calves 3x per week but not on leg days. I incorporate them during rest periods when working another body part or include them as part of another workout.

Calf training is brutal and i despise it!

I've noticed a boy in Virgin at Fountain Park who is a complete welt, but only does one rep of squats? He takes a full five minutes strapping his knee's up, starts slapping his legs and knees and shouting at himself, gets under the bar, does one rep, then puts the bar back. Guy is a complete ###### and is in there most days throwing weights about.

I've noticed a boy in Virgin at Fountain Park who is a complete welt, but only does one rep of squats? He takes a full five minutes strapping his knee's up, starts slapping his legs and knees and shouting at himself, gets under the bar, does one rep, then puts the bar back. Guy is a complete ###### and is in there most days throwing weights about.

Haha. Is he shifting some serious weight when he does his set? If not then i hope he has a reason for that.

Sir Chris Hoy apparently in his strength phase used to do 2 sets of 2 super-heavy squats as his weights workout. I was in Virgin at FP last week with a mate whos a member (i used to be a member too) and was surprised by the fact they've got another squat rack and barbell...but not bought more weights to put on the bar. So theres twice the amount of barbells as before, with the same number weights available. Odd.

Haha. Is he shifting some serious weight when he does his set? If not then i hope he has a reason for that.

Sir Chris Hoy apparently in his strength phase used to do 2 sets of 2 super-heavy squats as his weights workout. I was in Virgin at FP last week with a mate whos a member (i used to be a member too) and was surprised by the fact they've got another squat rack and barbell...but not bought more weights to put on the bar. So theres twice the amount of barbells as before, with the same number weights available. Odd.

Ye it's a big weight but still why the need for all the drama for 1 rep. He's a grade A attention seeker.

They added the rack and bar about a month ago, would have been better getting a decline bench!

The People's Chimp

What's the deal with dames going to the gym with a full face of make-up and their paps hanging out, at 8 in the morning! You're there to work out no try and get your hole.

Creeps.

Complaining about having something to look at when wandering round pure.

:cornette:

The People's Chimp

Sir Chris Hoy apparently in his strength phase used to do 2 sets of 2 super-heavy squats as his weights workout.

Weight training

In terms of actual day-to-day training; a normal training day would begin with a gym session for about two hours, focusing on strength; so heavy weights on the lower body, with the main exercise being free weight squatting, with between one and ten repetitions depending on the time of year and the aim of the session

Read more: http://uk.askmen.com...l#ixzz2Kbr14AO5

Edited by The People's Chimp

Generic Username

Complaining about having something to look at when wandering round pure.

:cornette:

I'm no at the gym to scope out dames but.

There needs to be an even lower end version of PureGym for these zoomers who just go to stand around and pout trying to get someone to nib them. A Bebo version of PureGym if you will.

I'm no at the gym to scope out dames but.

There needs to be an even lower end version of PureGym for these zoomers who just go to stand around and pout trying to get someone to nib them. A Bebo version of PureGym if you will.

There's a fair few male equivalent of that st peak times in my gym. Unfortunately due to the low price of pure gym (which is great in my opinion, gives fatties zero excuse) you'll get folk going just to say they "go to the gym". Annoying for the people who are there and genuinely want to improve their image and their health!

2 hours in the gym? **** that. Went this afternoon started with 3 rep max weighted strict pull ups followed by 4 rounds x 500m row & 400m run with 3 mins rest between rounds. Absolutely burst after it, total time with 9 mins rest was 24:09. Add on another 10 mins for the weighted pull ups.

In and out with shower in well under an hour. Nae need to spend more than an hour per session.

I'll be going in tomorrow to do 20 mins press, 20 mins on back squat and 20 mins deadlift attaining a 1 rep max on each. Heavy day but will still only take 1 hour (prob less).

Dexter can't find original post but tried the red bull today. Taurine or whatever its called. Felt a massive pump not sure if coincidence or other supplement getting in but think there something in it.

I've used it before and it does give you a massive rush, but there are downsides.

It's basically just sugar and caffeine, so you'll crash afterwards. It's also bad for your teeth.

Best thing to do is eat well with complex carbs and veg, maybe a multi vitamin and if you need a boost, a banana is good for starters.

If you want to go further, a pro plus or a coffee will do the same job, without the sugar.

If you want to go the whole hog, the diet stuff is better than full fat... Or you could go out and get some NO-Xplode which is the most mental pre-workout power I've ever had.

Guest GhostHunter

Talking about PWO - I've tried Rage3dfx, take that, and you're spaced for much of the day :eek:

Also got some Liquid Fury kicking around somewhere - but tbh, it bloody scares me taking it - I'm sure I'm going to burst something after half an hour. That level of pump can't be good for you :D

Cracking picture Creepy. Is the other guy called Ian? Looks familiar. I'm probably talking shite though.

Pure Gym OT just got 400kg of plates EXTRA.

More dumbbells.

Another EZ.

3 more benches. (Not the power cages)

1 more smith.

It's MILES better now.

Creepy Lurker

Cracking picture Creepy. Is the other guy called Ian? Looks familiar. I'm probably talking shite though.

Cheers mate, his name's Douglas. Think he's from Glasgow.

My brother gave me the NO-Xplode because it was too strong for him. I took half the recommended dose and instead of swimming my usual 100 lengths, I did 160.

Proper mental stuff!

Jack3d

Red bull

Jaeger

All mixed together one night.

What an arsehole. :facepalm:

The things lager makes you do. :lol:

I'm sure I've told this story on here before but I remember taking 5/6 scoops of Jack3d one night (recommended was 2). Had to pull over for 5 minutes on way to the gym as my knee was shaking so much, remember nothing from actually being in the gym and next time I was in one of my mates said he thought I was melted when he had saw me haha. The crash was brutal I met a few of the boys after and they said I had no colour in my face and I could barely lift my arms.

:lol:

After 8 weeks on Jack3d I felt really down when not on it.

Not touching it again.

Although I did enjoy being on it.

:lol:

After 8 weeks on Jack3d I felt really down when not on it.

Not touching it again.

Although I did enjoy being on it.

Jack3d had a now banned stimulant in it (DMAA) which was reportedy linked to high blood pressure, hence it being banned. The new Jack3d Micro is now on sale without the DMAA in it. I've used it and it's pretty similar, maybe not as crazy. Only ever taken 1 scoop though.

Incidentally, the lady who died in last year's London Marathon had taken Jack3d before doing the race. Obviously won't have been the sole factor, and it's not for cardio exercise in the first place, but still scary to think I'd hammered the stuff for months at 2-3 scoops at times.

Great buzz of it though, but there are plenty decent alternatives. 1MR by BMi is decent, maybe even better than Jack3d, and only needs 1 scoop and also has always had zero DMAA in it.

Jack3d had a now banned stimulant in it (DMAA) which was reportedy linked to high blood pressure, hence it being banned. The new Jack3d Micro is now on sale without the DMAA in it. I've used it and it's pretty similar, maybe not as crazy. Only ever taken 1 scoop though.

Incidentally, the lady who died in last year's London Marathon had taken Jack3d before doing the race. Obviously won't have been the sole factor, and it's not for cardio exercise in the first place, but still scary to think I'd hammered the stuff for months at 2-3 scoops at times.

Great buzz of it though, but there are plenty decent alternatives. 1MR by BMi is decent, maybe even better than Jack3d, and only needs 1 scoop and also has always had zero DMAA in it.

The old stuff is still available in Edinburgh from certain places.

Guest GhostHunter

The stuff I mentioned earlier RageFx has brutal smack you in the face crash and burn time with it....

I still maintain the Taurine in Red Bull does the same thing :D

Got caffeine tablets from My Protein.

Seem to do the trick.

Nothing was as good as 2 scoops of Jack3d though. :lol:

Got caffeine tablets from My Protein.

Seem to do the trick.

Nothing was as good as 2 scoops of Jack3d though. :lol:

I use primary caffeine off maxiraw. Stuffs magic.

PaulHartley10

Do you think 25mins on the cross trainer, 15mins on the rowing machine and 25mins on the bike is sufficent to lose a bit of weight?

I'm about 15 stone the now, looking to lose atleast 1 for starters. I've been at it for about a month, I feel fitter but don't feel I've lost anything :(

The People's Chimp

Sure the experts on here will be along with tip top advice in a minute, but two suggestions would be turning your cardio into HIT sessions rather than steady state, and watching your diet.

Sure the experts on here will be along with tip top advice in a minute, but two suggestions would be turning your cardio into HIT sessions rather than steady state, and watching your diet.

Definately agree with that. What you put into your body is equally (if not more) key to body composition. That said, HIIT cardio will take you less time and also promote fat loss even after you've left the gym.

Snake Plissken

Do you think 25mins on the cross trainer, 15mins on the rowing machine and 25mins on the bike is sufficent to lose a bit of weight?

I'm about 15 stone the now, looking to lose atleast 1 for starters. I've been at it for about a month, I feel fitter but don't feel I've lost anything :(

Weights and then cardio is a great way to lose weight.

A full-body routine with moderate weight followed by cardio would be far more effective than cardio alone.

Below is a basic program that I often gave out to beginners back in my instructor days:

Warm up: 5 mins on the cross trainer or rower (moderate effort level)

Leg press - 3 sets of 10-12 reps at a weight where the last couple of reps are challenging

Leg curl - 3 x 12

Chest press - 3 x 12

Lat pull-down - 3 x 12

Shoulder press - 3 x 12

Triceps extension - 3 x 12

Cardio: 15-25 minutes on the rower/cross-trainer/bike*, go hard for one minute and then ease off for one minutes, repeat until the time's up**

cool-down: stretch and then 5 minutes on the bike at an easy pace

* doing a different machine each time will help stave off the boredom and keep the results coming

**start at 15 minutes and look to add one minute per week

You'll be burning off calories at a faster rate long after the workout is done, the above is a basic routine but I believe it should be kept simple at the start. The more complex stuff can come when you've got the basics down.

Nutrition cannot be overlooked and there is some very good advice elsewhere and the thread and there are some more knowledgeable than I but it all boils down to burning more calories than you take in. For the sake of argument you'll probably burn in the region of 2500 calories daily (that's a basic estimate). If you create a deficit of 500 calories a day through diet (take in 2000) then any exercise you do on top of that will create an even bigger deficit and you could probably shift that first stone in about 5-6 weeks.

Watch what you eat, work the big muscle groups and do shorter but more intense cardio and the weight will come off if you stick to it.

Creepy Lurker

Weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out. You could lose weight doing no cardio if your diet was in check or alternatively could gain weight regardless of cardio if it wasn't. That said, regular exercise will help you burn more calories as well as providing a host of other benefits.

HIIT vs LISS (low intensity steady state) is actually a bit of a controversial topic. You're likely to burn more calories during exercise with LISS, and although HIIT increases metabolism more the actual overall effect on calorie burn is close to insignificant. HIIT is less boring and time consuming, though, and the two have a positive effect on each other (ie LISS improves if you do HIIT and vice versa). My advice would be to start a cardio session with 15 minutes HIIT then do around 20-30 minutes LISS to get the benefits of both. Lifting would also be a good idea.

Anyone got any tips what to eat prior to workout for energy for 6am workout. Obviously don't want to be faffing about making stuff at that time. Not a big fan of porridge pre workout as tends to sit on stomach.

Been eating a couple of bannas but that ain't nearly enough to fuel me for workouts.

This is a really individual thing. Some people find they train best completely fasted, others can handle a pretty big meal almost directly before training. Anecdotally a lot of people find that a BCAA supplement helps at this point; although it is true that having BCAAs in your system will help you if you're training overnight fasted, I personally think it's a bit of a waste of money as you can get them into your system through any complete protein source anyway.

I find I train best if I have a little protein with a fairly high amount of carbs and keep fat low at this point. I usually have chocolate milk made with skimmed milk and a couple of pieces of fruit to add up to roughly 300 calories. Like I said, though, it's an individual thing.

The only advice I can add to Snake, Creepy and Ellsbells is: Try Swimming

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Was fannying about yesterday and just fancied doing 20 press ups.

One way ticket to snap city. :( Snapped ALL my shit up in my shoulder. Woke up this morning and I can't lift my arm higher than my chest, absolutely seething.

Going to the gym later to see how limited it makes me but I am seriously made of chocolate. Get injuries so easily. :(

Anyone got any tips what to eat prior to workout for energy for 6am workout. Obviously don't want to be faffing about making stuff at that time. Not a big fan of porridge pre workout as tends to sit on stomach.

Been eating a couple of bannas but that ain't nearly enough to fuel me for workouts.

Dextrose tablets are a good option. Fast acting carbs with no prep time - can eat them in the car on the way to the gym.

Guest GhostHunter

Was fannying about yesterday and just fancied doing 20 press ups.

One way ticket to snap city. :( Snapped ALL my shit up in my shoulder. Woke up this morning and I can't lift my arm higher than my chest, absolutely seething.

Going to the gym later to see how limited it makes me but I am seriously made of chocolate. Get injuries so easily. :(

Seriously ?! Just doing press ups ?

Shit - that sucks.

And I was planning on doing some in the morning, so that's that idea oot ra windae.