Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Signed up for Edinburgh marathon yesterday.

I haven't done any cardio work in about 2 years.

:facepalm:

Moving into a flat with my mates for the first time next month=messy year.

Said I'd do it in 3:30.

Jamboelite

This goes out to anyone really, just bought a weights bench with barbell and dumbbells and im a total novice with weights. Just looking to tone up not bulk and so looking for advice, should i do light weight on lots of reps or limited reps on pyramid range of weights. Any advice appreciated including any beginner programmes anyone knows to hit all upper body muscle groups.

Cheers

Edited by Jamboelite

The People's Chimp

How many of you boys eat sweet potato?

I'm trying to add them into my diet but **** me they are sweet! What do you have it with? Is one enough to have on your plate because I don't think I could stomach anymore.

An old post, but hey! I love sweet potatoes - I usually bake them in the oven, around 45 minutes and they are spot on, really good with some grilled or poached chicken and then say a spicy tomato sauce and a load of green veg for instance. I'm also a big fan of sweet potato frittata - dice the sweet tatties, then soften with a little olive oil along with a red onion, a chilli and then add some garlic and spinach as it's softened and the onion is about to start browning, then add your eggs. Lovely stuff.

I am 1 year and 2 months on the healthy eating and 11 months going to the gym.. Totally transformed my life and also 29KG lighter!!

I am 1 year and 2 months on the healthy eating and 11 months going to the gym.. Totally transformed my life and also 29KG lighter!!

Well done mate. Thats a shit load of weight!

Good job brah!

I'm two weeks into no Fap, feel a lot more energetic, in general and at the gym.

My Left Nut

Just started the gym "again" as I am in dire need to shift some weight. Joined the new one on Edinburgh Park as its on the door step to my work. Looking to start some HIIT tomorrow so will see how that goes. Have sorted out my diet for the first time in years, so if I keep this up I hope to shift 4 stone in 12-18 months.

Any advice would be great. :thumbsup:

Good job brah!

I'm two weeks into no Fap,, feel a lot more energetic, in general and at the gym.

Is this what I think it is?

Is this what I think it is?

Yep, see my bird maybe 2/3 times a week though.

Cut out the prawn for the rest of the week.

Seriosuly, feels good mayne!

Well done mate. Thats a shit load of weight!

Cheers Sten.. Old cliche that this was a whole lifestyle change and nod day at a time... I want to lose more but it is more about stripping the fat than losing weight.

Cheers Sten.. Old cliche that this was a whole lifestyle change and nod day at a time... I want to lose more but it is more about stripping the fat than losing weight.

Well done. :thumbsup:

What was your diet and exercise like for readers of the thread?

Try lean gains

My Left Nut

Chaps, I need some advice. I am trying to loose weight so I am hitting the gym 4 days a week and on a healthy diet. I am just in the early stages of this and the plan I have is this.

As a beginner I do 30 minutes of interval training each session in the gym burning roughly 200 calories, I am also cutting calorie intake, down to about 1600 a day. Apparently my body needs about 2400 calories to maintain my current weight. I have read a lot of stuff about calorie deficit and I think my calorie deficit is about 1000 calories a day when at the gym and 800 when not, does this make sense?

I will obviously increase my gym time once I get a bit fitter.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Chaps, I need some advice. I am trying to loose weight so I am hitting the gym 4 days a week and on a healthy diet. I am just in the early stages of this and the plan I have is this.

As a beginner I do 30 minutes of interval training each session in the gym burning roughly 200 calories, I am also cutting calorie intake, down to about 1600 a day. Apparently my body needs about 2400 calories to maintain my current weight. I have read a lot of stuff about calorie deficit and I think my calorie deficit is about 1000 calories a day when at the gym and 800 when not, does this make sense?

I will obviously increase my gym time once I get a bit fitter.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you are on the right track mate, might want to add some weights to your gym time. Possibly even burning too many calories, but someone more knowledgeable could advise you on that. I'm sure losing 1 lb a week is what is recommended and that is a deficit of 500 calories.

My Left Nut

Sounds like you are on the right track mate, might want to add some weights to your gym time. Possibly even burning too many calories, but someone more knowledgeable could advise you on that. I'm sure losing 1 lb a week is what is recommended and that is a deficit of 500 calories.

I will start to add strength training from next week, not sure where to start but will use Google for that. I was a little bit worried that I might be burning to many calories :teehee: The only problem I am having is my calf's, they are frigging sore :down: I think I just need to stretch them out a bit as they ain't been used in a while. Hopefully I will see some benefit in the next 4-6 weeks. :thumbsup:

My Left Nut

Anyone use Energie at lochside, bought a six week membership of groupon for ?19

That is where I go, got a trainer booked for next week. The gym is pretty decent and the staff are friendly enough. :thumbsup:

Naecups1902

That is where I go, got a trainer booked for next week. The gym is pretty decent and the staff are friendly enough. :thumbsup:

Cheers, not really interested in a gym membership as I fairly fit anyway but need to get back to a certain fitness post surgery, 6 weeks gym and a four week swimming pass will do it for me

The Great Khali

1 year and 6 months (almost to the day) since I started changing my diet and actually going to the gym properly...

35kg lost.

Just goes to show with a bit of effort and application you can achieve anything.

Now for a healthy salad dinner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

:o

:cornette:

• 2 weeks later...

See a Puregym is opening up along gorgie/chesser way! Very convenient for me!

Also, what does everyone thing of Jack3d? Just tried it for the first time and thumbs up so far. Improved concentration and helped me push quite a bit more etc especially pushing out those last few reps thumbsup.gif

Also, what does everyone thing of Jack3d? Just tried it for the first time and thumbs up so far. Improved concentration and helped me push quite a bit more etc especially pushing out those last few reps thumbsup.gif

Got a few friends who take it and swear by it, although they seem to need to increase their intake of it over time.

Never had it myself, don't feel the need too. If anything for pre-workout I just have a black coffee or a caffiene tab.

Good stuff but be careful with doseage.

Does anyone go to the Carlton Hotel gym up at the bridges? Working up that way and is cheap enough, however looking for a gym that has a good free weights section and has a squat rack rather than a smith machine.

Cheers!

Does anyone go to the Carlton Hotel gym up at the bridges? Working up that way and is cheap enough, however looking for a gym that has a good free weights section and has a squat rack rather than a smith machine.

Cheers!

Can't imagine a Hotel gym having a great selection of free weights.

The Pleasance is only 5 minutes away, try there.

Creepy Lurker

laugh.gif

That's brutal. The gym I had to use in France was the worst I'd ever seen, and even it had one squat rack.

My Left Nut

Need some advice guys, I have been on a diet and been going to the gym for about 4 weeks now, just dropped under a stone in weight. My problem is running is agony for my calf muscles. I stretch before and after my cardio, but it still hurts like hell the day after and sometimes when doing it. Is this a normal thing? I can handle the pain just thought it would ease off by now.

I hate the bike and elliptical and running seems to burn more fat and better for weight loss.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Vincent B.A

Need some advice guys, I have been on a diet and been going to the gym for about 4 weeks now, just dropped under a stone in weight. My problem is running is agony for my calf muscles. I stretch before and after my cardio, but it still hurts like hell the day after and sometimes when doing it. Is this a normal thing? I can handle the pain just thought it would ease off by now.

I hate the bike and elliptical and running seems to burn more fat and better for weight loss.

Cheers :thumbsup:

The pain doesnt sound good. Does it occur as soon as you start running or is it after running for a while. also are you running on a treadmill or outside on hard/soft surface.

I'd suggest trying swimming, its good cardio and wont put as much strain on your calfs.

My Left Nut

The pain doesnt sound good. Does it occur as soon as you start running or is it after running for a while. also are you running on a treadmill or outside on hard/soft surface.

I'd suggest trying swimming, its good cardio and wont put as much strain on your calfs.

usually after but sometimes during towards the end. Its on the treadmill. I thought it was lactose acid build up?? the pain is a sharp shooting pain to the outside of my calfs.

I would try swimming but swim like a brick! :down:

Vincent B.A

usually after but sometimes during towards the end. Its on the treadmill. I thought it was lactose acid build up?? the pain is a sharp shooting pain to the outside of my calfs.

I would try swimming but swim like a brick! :down:

That doesnt sound like lactic acid to me although I'm no expert. I used to do a bit of running and found that treadmill gave me really bad shin splints. You might want to get a pair of proper running trainers (if you dont already have them) or try running outside on a softer surface like grass.

When I had the shin splints I took up swimming. I was the same as you, not very good at it and could only do a few lengths of the pool before being knackerd but you can build it up pretty quickly and it puts less strain on your legs.

My Left Nut

That doesnt sound like lactic acid to me although I'm no expert. I used to do a bit of running and found that treadmill gave me really bad shin splints. You might want to get a pair of proper running trainers (if you dont already have them) or try running outside on a softer surface like grass.

When I had the shin splints I took up swimming. I was the same as you, not very good at it and could only do a few lengths of the pool before being knackerd but you can build it up pretty quickly and it puts less strain on your legs.

Cheers mate, I thought the pain would ease after a while but no such luck. Might need to look into the swimming side of things. :thumbsup:

Creepy Lurker

Anyone watching the Panorama programme on supplements tonight? Should be interesting to see how much total pish they manage to cram into their hour long slot.

Creepy Lurker

Anyone watching the Panorama programme on supplements tonight? Should be interesting to see how much total pish they manage to cram into their hour long slot.

No-one? Here's what I've learned:

- You shouldn't ever take sports drinks because they're high in sugar, but jam sandwiches are fine.

- The evidence in support of running shoes can't be trusted because some of the studies were funded by the companies that make running shoes; the lack of evidence in favour of running barefoot is okay because the companies that make running shoes fund lots of studies.

- Protein supplements are useless because mumble mumble food mumble Oxford mumble.

Some of what they said could've actually been a starting point for some pretty interesting debate, but they ruined it with their one sided, sensationalist style.

I didn't see it, but Jamie Hamill did.

Jamie Hamill?@hamster_86

Just watching truth about sports products n all the doctors r saying drink fluid when u need 2 so piss tests r a lot of shit really

Jamie Hamill?@hamster_86

All these muscle gain/recovery/diet is shit aswell just a lot of balls thank god I don't buy them ?#goodadvertisementthough? ?#allinthebrain?

Jamie Hamill?@hamster_86

Basically good diet drink water when u need 2 wear comfortable trainers n got out n exercise thanks 2 ?#thetruthaboutsportsproducts?

Creepy Lurker

...and if someone as highly qualified as Jamie Hamill says so, who is anyone else to argue?

In all seriousness, a lot of what they said wasn't untrue as such; they just had an obvious agenda that they were working towards. I don't think that it's any coincidence that this piece has come out in the context of the 20% VAT increase on sports drinks.

Just one example of what I mean would be the claim that protein supplementation is 'useless', or words to that effect. What they were really saying was that it isn't any better than eating protein rich foods, which I'd agree with; however, it can be easier to manipulate your macronutrient intake using protein supplements and carrying a shake around can be a hell of a lot easier than carrying a whole meal around in a wee box. There was also no discussion of, for instance, the faster digestion of whey protein supposedly leading to quicker recovery (a strange omission as it's actually still controversial in some circles).

Another example would be the bit about sports drinks 'only being for the hardcore athlete' because they can only be shown to be useful when you're exercising for an hour or more at a time. Is it really only hardcore athletes that train for an hour or more at a time?

As I said, an interesting debate could've been had if they'd avoided the sensationalism and actually bothered interviewing anyone who disagreed with their own agenda.

Vincent B.A

...and if someone as highly qualified as Jamie Hamill says so, who is anyone else to argue?

In all seriousness, a lot of what they said wasn't untrue as such; they just had an obvious agenda that they were working towards. I don't think that it's any coincidence that this piece has come out in the context of the 20% VAT increase on sports drinks.

Just one example of what I mean would be the claim that protein supplementation is 'useless', or words to that effect. What they were really saying was that it isn't any better than eating protein rich foods, which I'd agree with; however, it can be easier to manipulate your macronutrient intake using protein supplements and carrying a shake around can be a hell of a lot easier than carrying a whole meal around in a wee box. There was also no discussion of, for instance, the faster digestion of whey protein supposedly leading to quicker recovery (a strange omission as it's actually still controversial in some circles).

Another example would be the bit about sports drinks 'only being for the hardcore athlete' because they can only be shown to be useful when you're exercising for an hour or more at a time. Is it really only hardcore athletes that train for an hour or more at a time?

As I said, an interesting debate could've been had if they'd avoided the sensationalism and actually bothered interviewing anyone who disagreed with their own agenda.

I watched that programme too. I found it quite interesting but also felt it was very one sided.

I did find some of the information about the sports drinks quite alarming though, especially when it showed you all of the kids drinking them and the agressive marketing that is carried out.

I was particularly interested in the section about supplements but it seemed to go into less detail about them. Basically saying that theyonly two that work are creatine and caffine. The show failed to recognise any benefits from protien shakes at all, It may have been more believable if they had said it would be best to have sardines and veg after your workout but if you cant have that a shake is the next best thing. It seemed to say that the shakes did absolutly nothing and there was no evidence to say they did do anything. Maybe they are right and they dont do anything but I personally disagree although dont have any scientific evidence to back it up.

The information on the running shoes was flawed as well. I think a lot more people would pick up injuries from running around the streets of Edinburgh in bare feet rather than running shoes. Imagine running down Easter Road bare foot!

Watched this aswell, had the potential to be good but instead was..... pretty poor and one sided.

Interesting stuff about the energy drinks, i tend to avoid high sugar energy drinks and try and stick to water unless i'm training for a long time. Then i might bring along some lucozade or the equivalent for an extra boost.

The bit about the supplements was terrible, mainly focusing on recovery powders. Then going on to say food is much better and contains all the vitamins and nutrients needed....... DUH! Sometimes it's easier after a gym session to grab a protein shake but they didnt go into any detail about how this can also be beneficial to promote muscle growth etc.

Could have been a better programme if they showed both sides of the argument, but instead it was blatantly biased down.gif

Vincent B.A

Watched this aswell, had the potential to be good but instead was..... pretty poor and one sided.

Interesting stuff about the energy drinks, i tend to avoid high sugar energy drinks and try and stick to water unless i'm training for a long time. Then i might bring along some lucozade or the equivalent for an extra boost.

The bit about the supplements was terrible, mainly focusing on recovery powders. Then going on to say food is much better and contains all the vitamins and nutrients needed....... DUH! Sometimes it's easier after a gym session to grab a protein shake but they didnt go into any detail about how this can also be beneficial to promote muscle growth etc.

Could have been a better programme if they showed both sides of the argument, but instead it was blatantly biased down.gif

They said that there was no scientific evidence that the powders do what they say they do. I was thinking that there must be some sort of evidence that protien powders boost muscle? Its not just made up.

They also failed to mention that Lucosade is a great hangover cure.

Creepy Lurker

I watched that programme too. I found it quite interesting but also felt it was very one sided.

I did find some of the information about the sports drinks quite alarming though, especially when it showed you all of the kids drinking them and the agressive marketing that is carried out.

I was particularly interested in the section about supplements but it seemed to go into less detail about them. Basically saying that theyonly two that work are creatine and caffine. The show failed to recognise any benefits from protien shakes at all, It may have been more believable if they had said it would be best to have sardines and veg after your workout but if you cant have that a shake is the next best thing. It seemed to say that the shakes did absolutly nothing and there was no evidence to say they did do anything. Maybe they are right and they dont do anything but I personally disagree although dont have any scientific evidence to back it up.

The information on the running shoes was flawed as well. I think a lot more people would pick up injuries from running around the streets of Edinburgh in bare feet rather than running shoes. Imagine running down Easter Road bare foot!

A lot of what they said about sports drinks wasn't untrue as such, but it was very obvious that they were working to an agenda. As I've said, I don't believe that only 'hardcore athletes' train for over an hour at a time (is everyone who plays eleven a side football a 'hardcore athlete'? I'd say no), but a few other points:

• They massively overstated the risk of overhydration. In practice, you have to drink a ridiculous amount to overhydrate, and it's just as easy to do so with water as with sports drinks. Put it this way: if you follow the advice that they're demonising, you'll still be highly unlikely to end up drinking too much.
  • They went on about sports drinks being next to 'regular soft drinks' on the shelves at supermarkets 'despite their high sugar content'. What, because those other soft drinks don't also have a high sugar content?
  • The interviews with mothers where they asked how many teaspoons of sugar they thought were in a bottle of Lucozade / Powerade. The two mothers guessed five and 'at least six' respectively, before going on to act shocked and horrified when the answer turned out to be eight. Apparently five or six teaspoons is okay, but not eight. huh.gif
  • The bit about kids drinking these drinks I actually agreed with. Kids having a kickaround, and the average consumer of sports drinks, get little or no benefit from consuming them. This is true, but in terms of the kids it's really their parents' responsibility to be limiting their consumption of these things. As far as British children's unhealthy diets go, this is also only one tiny part of a massive problem.
  • That cyclist guy going on about his jam sandwiches. Now, his jam sandwiches would work during endurance exercise, but only for the exact same reason as sports drinks do: simple sugars to top up blood sugar levels once glycogen is depleted. Given that jam sandwiches do nothing for hydration, they're actually much less appropriate than sensible sports drink consumption.

What frustrated me with the sports drinks section was that I actually agreed with a lot of it, but sports drinks do have a justified place in a lot of people's regimes. There are also a lot of people who just like the taste...

They said that there was no scientific evidence that the powders do what they say they do. I was thinking that there must be some sort of evidence that protien powders boost muscle? Its not just made up.

Their argument was a tad flawed here too. It's completely proven that protein consumption post exercise will aid recovery and growth, but there's little or no evidence that protein powders are any more use here than real food. Then again, if you're on the move a lot and can't necessarily carry all of your meals around with you they can be a decent substitute at times. Also, if you're trying to get 20-30g protein in the post workout window, it's a hell of a lot quicker and easier to do that with a shake than with a full meal.

Again, this bit frustrated me because I'd always advocate real food consumption over supplementation and personally I try to take an actual meal with me in a tupperware for after training whenever it's at all possible, but they only gave one very limited side of the story. 'Protein powders are no better than protein from real food' doesn't equal 'protein powders are useless under any circumstances'.

It was also interestingly how little coverage they gave to the fact that creatine's 100% proven. If they'd been at all interested in having a proper debate rather than furthering their own agenda, they'd have given that more than one sentence.

I think that why I'm so annoyed at this programme is because the sports nutrition industry does need tougher regulation, as there's a hell of a lot of dodgy advertising and a hell of a lot of cowboys out there. What's needed for that, though, is a proper, grown-up debate and not a one hour long programme full of ill-informed scaremongering.

Gerd Muller

Started up the weights at gym again. Not done weights for maybe 3 years. Last Tuesday night I started and went again tonight. Was still feeling sore from Tuesday, that normal? I just continued anyway as it wasn't as sore as last night. I have also started cycling again. Two 8 mile cycles this week. I'm not signing upvfor a gym membership yet because I want to see if I stick to a exercise routine. Really enjoying it so far.

Caspian Primrose

gonna blow the dust of the dumbells and start doing a bit at home. anybody got a good workout that i could use?

Lads,

I'm looking to do a longish hike next spring and a few before that to prepare and it looks like I'll have to carry 15-20kg. I'd like to strenghthen my back to make this easier / feasible.

Sit-ups only seem to work the lower back (that's where I feel it). What exercise works the mid / upper back?

Creepy Lurker

I'd think that it'd really be more worthwhile to work your legs. Having said that, what you'd need would be strength endurance rather than strength per se...without wanting to seem flippant, the best way to get better at walking long distances with a backpack would be to walk long distances with a backpack (obviously start lighter and with shorter distances). You could try running with a pack if that sounds boring.

I'm not convinced that there'd be much value in trying to target any specific area. Maybe someone else will disagree, though; I'm out of my depth when I'm not talking about vegetables. sad.gif