Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

After spending all of last year pretty ripped but not overly big or strong due to my tight diet (i've upped it by ~800 calories for 2014!) i've decided to spend 2014 trying to put on a bit of a size.

This is the programme i'm going to try for the next month. It looked pretty light on volume to me but after the first week i'm feeling more in the way of DOMs than I have done for a long time. Not sure if that's because i've trying to really up the weights for it or because I slacked off a bit over December though.

Any suggestions / comments?

It's been a nice change so far since i've spent so long doing BB training i.e lots of volume, lots of muscle connection, lots of form so it's quite enjoyable just to see what kind of numbers I can get.

Day One:

Bench Press: 2x6-8

Incline DB/BB Press: 2x10-12

Military Press: 2x6-8

DB Skull Crushers or Close Grip Bench Press with 4-5? ROM : 2x10-12

Day Two:

Pull-Ups or Wide Lat Pull-Downs: 3xAMAP

Bent Over Yates Row 3x8

EZ-Bar Curls: 1x10

Kneeling Cable Crunches or Other Heavy Ab Exercise: 3x10

Day Three:

Squats: 2x10

Deadlifts: 1x10

Glute Ham Raises or Straight Back Straight Leg Deadlifts: 2x10

Edited by djf

Stuart McNeill
After spending all of last year pretty ripped but not overly big or strong due to my tight diet (i've upped it by ~800 calories for 2014!) i've decided to spend 2014 trying to put on a bit of a size.

This is the programme i'm going to try for the next month. It looked pretty light on volume to me but after the first week i'm feeling more in the way of DOMs than I have done for a long time. Not sure if that's because i've trying to really up the weights for it or because I slacked off a bit over December though.

Any suggestions / comments?

It's been a nice change so far since i've spent so long doing BB training i.e lots of volume, lots of muscle connection, lots of form so it's quite enjoyable just to see what kind of numbers I can get.

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Is that Starting strength.

Pure gym is mental atm, having all these folk slamming out shoulder and bicep exercises, surprised no one has really hurt themselves yet.

Snake Plissken

Day 11 of the cut and I'm down just under two kilos. Part of that will be water weight from coming off creatine but I'm significantly leaner, won't take much more to drop back under 10% BF.

Today was a full-body routine I've done a few times, mostly for fat burning, it's the closest I come to cardio these days. I do 50 reps of each exercise as fast as I can (apart from the first one which is 25 reps) and try to take as few rests as possible. The number in brackets represents the "sets" I did. I managed the chin-ups and push-ups in a oner but that took a lot out of me.

Chin-ups (25)

60kg Deadlifts (25, 15, 10)

50kg Squats (30, 20)

Push-Ups (50)

18kg DB clean and Press, 25 reps per arm (15, 15, 10, 10)

Leg Raises (20, 10, 10, 10)

Time: 16:52

I was absolutely dead by the end of that, only got through the leg raises through sheer force of will. My goal is to be able to smash through all of that in 15 minutes flat. Mrs Plissken beat my time by three seconds, she was doing half the weight but still... :lol:

Edited by Snake Plissken

Fellas, some advice please.....

Around 18 months ago I done my ligaments in my ankles, couple with my desk job I put on a bit of fat around my gut and also the beginning of moobs! I'm skinny built so this bit of fat is severely unwanted!

I started eating a calorie controlled diet, the wife has lost 2.5 stone using the my fitness pal app so I've given that a go.

The advice I'm looking for is what should I be looking to do gym wise? I'm not particularly worried about putting mass on, a little bit would be welcomed. I'm incredibly unfit, a game of 5's with younger guys (I'm 28) showed me how unfit! The only real exercise I do now is walking roughly 4-5 miles a day with the dog.

Cheers :thumbsup:

There's advice on this a few times throughout the thread, so it's worth a check back.

The short answer is, cardio, mixed with resistance work.

Cardio burns a lot of calories while you exercise, but building up more muscle will ensure you burn more calories in general when not exercising, so you should do both.

The exact programme depends on how often you go to the gym and what's available to you.

On the weights side of things you should be doing compound exercises, so squats, dead lifts and bench press are the three most important exercises. Make sure you don't just work your biceps and leave these exercises alone. Next down the list, you should have chin-up's / lat pulldown, upright rows, shoulder press... If you've still got time or want to have more than one programme, leg curls, leg extensions, bicep curls.... Start with 3 sets of 8-10 reps. Once that's easy, do 4 sets, once that's easy, up the weight and keep upping the weight as soon as you are able to complete the set.

With cardio, If you have a decent amount of time, aim to keep your heart rate at 70% of it's maximum (220 minus your age) for as long as you can. If you have a shorter amount of time, do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

There's advice on this a few times throughout the thread, so it's worth a check back.

Cardio burns a lot of calories while you exercise, but building up more muscle will ensure you burn more calories in general when not exercising, so you should do both.

The exact programme depends on how often you go to the gym and what's available to you.

On the weights side of things you should be doing compound exercises, so squats, dead lifts and bench press are the three most important exercises. Make sure you don't just work your biceps and leave these exercises alone. Next down the list, you should have chin-up's / lat pulldown, upright rows, shoulder press... If you've still got time or want to have more than one programme, leg curls, leg extensions, bicep curls.... Start with 3 sets of 8-10 reps. Once that's easy, do 4 sets, once that's easy, up the weight and keep upping the weight as soon as you are able to complete the set.

With cardio, If you have a decent amount of time, aim to keep your heart rate at 70% of it's maximum (220 minus your age) for as long as you can. If you have a shorter amount of time, do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

Cheers BigC :thumbsup:

Fellas, some advice please.....

Around 18 months ago I done my ligaments in my ankles, couple with my desk job I put on a bit of fat around my gut and also the beginning of moobs! I'm skinny built so this bit of fat is severely unwanted!

I started eating a calorie controlled diet, the wife has lost 2.5 stone using the my fitness pal app so I've given that a go.

The advice I'm looking for is what should I be looking to do gym wise? I'm not particularly worried about putting mass on, a little bit would be welcomed. I'm incredibly unfit, a game of 5's with younger guys (I'm 28) showed me how unfit! The only real exercise I do now is walking roughly 4-5 miles a day with the dog.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Just lay in to the cardio. I'm in/was in a similar boat. Done my ligaments end of last season and missed pre-season (only play amateur so not really a big deal).

I've been trying to do 20-25km a week but all at a decent pace. x-training/cycling 5k in 20mins or less. Find it pretty tough going.

Also done quite a bit of swimming. Helped me get into shape before xmas/NY...which has now gone to **** due to 3 weeks out the gym and copious food and drink. So back laying in to Cardio.

I use the machines at the gym - no free weights at all. Always overly crowded and just not my bag.

Just lay in to the cardio. I'm in/was in a similar boat. Done my ligaments end of last season and missed pre-season (only play amateur so not really a big deal).

I've been trying to do 20-25km a week but all at a decent pace. x-training/cycling 5k in 20mins or less. Find it pretty tough going.

Also done quite a bit of swimming. Helped me get into shape before xmas/NY...which has now gone to **** due to 3 weeks out the gym and copious food and drink. So back laying in to Cardio.

I use the machines at the gym - no free weights at all. Always overly crowded and just not my bag.

Swimming is always good.

There is nothing wrong with using machines, you'll get almost as much out of them and when you're a beginner it's probably better as they help you stay within the correct range of motion.

But as you get more advanced you definitely want to progress towards free weights. It gives you much better overall strength and balance.

As another ankle ligament victim I played my first game of fives for 11 months on Friday.

Scored the opener, then just sat back after that.

Pleasingly, my fitness was decent due to the work

I've been doing on the cross trainer, rower and weighs. Didn't even feel tired at the end or have sore legs the next day!

I've switched leg/shoulder day to Monday, midweek is now back and biceps day and after fives I'm doing a quick chest/triceps workout with the Footie replacing my pre lifting cardio.

Feel like I'm back to normal with the weights, gaining the muscle/strength I lost over Xmas... Still need to burn off some more of the fat though!

Done my first training row for my 'marathon' 42000m on the 26th. Managed 13125m in an hour and felt fine. Trained as normal after, so going to increase to 75 minute row tomorrow before training.

Edited by The Brow

Done my first training row for my 'marathon' 42000m on the 26th. Managed 13125m in an hour and felt fine. Trained as normal after, so going to increase to 75 minute row tomorrow before training.

That's good going! I do about 1500m rowing (just to add a wee bit cardio) then start to find it really tough, mentally. Finding it a bit weird I don't mind the repitition of x-trainer or cycling but rowing kills me.

I've been doing on the cross trainer, rower and weighs. Didn't even feel tired at the end or have sore legs the next day!

Finding my legs are okay after doing legs and cardio, think the mile walk home after the gym is helping as a cool down though.

I would say do this no matter how much time you have. I feel (personally) that this kind of training is better. So instead of running for 45 minutes, up the intensity & do it for 20 minutes instead. You could always get involved in a Metafit class aswell. This is also HIIT.

Respect to you cos I could not think of anything more mind numbingly boring than this! Even running a marathon would be preferable to doing one on the rower!

Just in from the gym and realised I f****d my previous post. Doing 5km in 10mins (x-trainer or cycling) not 20mins.

Was still heaving tonight, when will it revert back to the normal busy??

I just think January I'm the gym an absolute nightmare, especially at Pure. Unless, you go around 5.30am you'll never get round what you're wanting to do.

Despite it being shit weather wise outside, I've made a point of upping my cardio outside at the moment for various events later in the year. At least three steady state runs with a HIIT session in between. It's blown a few cobwebs off after the Xmas bulge!

I would say do this no matter how much time you have. I feel (personally) that this kind of training is better. So instead of running for 45 minutes, up the intensity & do it for 20 minutes instead. You could always get involved in a Metafit class aswell. This is also HIIT.

It's definitely better for all round cardio and fitness but for burning fat, you are better exercising for an hour at 70% than 20-30 minutes at 85%, especially if you are also doing weights afterwards.

The former will help you burn more calories.

The People's Chimp

Cardio for an hour. :lol:

Who's got the time for that? Unless you're going out for a cycle, a swim or a game of 5s (A run if you are a weirdo), sounds mind numbing. Especially if it's, as you suggest, at the gym.

Edited by The People's Chimp

Snake Plissken

Who's got the time for that? Unless you're going out for a cycle, a swim or a game of 5s (A run if you are a weirdo), sounds mind numbing. Especially if it's, as you suggest, at the gym.

Not only mind-numbing but a really inefficient use of time.

Some random wandered up to me whilst I was doing tricep dips and claimed I was doing them wrong because I was using added weights. What an absolute clown.

Anyone else had experiences of randomers tryna be smartasses?

Just to wind him up I removed the weight and done a set and just looked at him with a straight face and said 'Do one'. Oh I'm great

I swim or play fives.

I was talking effectiveness over what's fun.

I would agree with the sentiment of your post that it's better to do something you enjoy as you are more likely to stick at it.

Creepy Lurker

I swim or play fives.

I was talking effectiveness over what's fun.

Any cardio before weights isn't a good idea, let alone an hour of steady state. Doing the two in the same session isn't a great idea if it can be avoided.

Konrad von Carstein

Any cardio before weights isn't a good idea, let alone an hour of steady state. Doing the two in the same session isn't a great idea if it can be avoided.

Not being smart but could you please explain your reasoning for the bits in bold?(although after an hour of steady state I'd not be thinking of weights) I've always assumed it depended on your aims?

Not being smart but could you please explain your reasoning for the bits in bold?(although after an hour of steady state I'd not be thinking of weights) I've always assumed it depended on your aims?

Me too.

I'm training to burn fat, so I'm trying to work different muscle groups.

I only have time to go three time per week, so I'm splitting muscle groups but also adding in as much cardio as possible, which is usually 20 minutes at the start.

I get that it would be better to go 5 times and do cardio on Tue and Thu for example, but surely I'm burning more calories overall by doing the cardio at the start of my three visits?

I get that it will cancel out some muscle gains but that's not my main goal.

Are you suggesting for example, that it would be better for me to do an upper body, a lower body, then a long cardio stint in my three visits, rather than my current work out?

Creepy Lurker

Part 1: lifting in a fatigued state isn't a brilliant idea. Performance will definitely suffer. If you really must do them in the same session I'd say lifting then cardio.

Part 2: without going into too much physiological stuff (I'll do it later if anyone's interested, on my phone just now and can't be arsed) cardio in the same session as weights reduces or negates some of the responses associated with muscle gain. You should be able to find more by Googling the interference effect.

Not saying it's the end of the world or that no-one can ever progress by doing weights and cardio in the same session, but I consider it to be sub-optimal.

Certainly BigC's claim that it's superior for fat burn is nonsense. You can burn fat with any kind of training or no training; there is no best kind of training for fat burn.

Creepy Lurker

Me too.

I'm training to burn fat, so I'm trying to work different muscle groups.

I only have time to go three time per week, so I'm splitting muscle groups but also adding in as much cardio as possible, which is usually 20 minutes at the start.

I get that it would be better to go 5 times and do cardio on Tue and Thu for example, but surely I'm burning more calories overall by doing the cardio at the start of my three visits?

I get that it will cancel out some muscle gains but that's not my main goal.

Are you suggesting for example, that it would be better for me to do an upper body, a lower body, then a long cardio stint in my three visits, rather than my current work out?

Started my first post before this was up.

If it's all your schedule allows then I'd say weights then cardio. An optimal training programme is one which fits in with your life. Another solution would be to eat less and cut out the cardio. I'm.also not a massive plan of body part splits for novice to intermediate lifters, nut I still do think 3 sessions a week's a good number.

On a personal note I reckon I won't be lifting for a while as I'm loving the MT club I'm training at in Falkirk just now. Great buzz around the place and top notch coaching. Really just want to be there every day just now. Will start lifting again when I'm back at uni in February.

Konrad von Carstein

....quoted wrong post :facepalm:

However, as I'm not interested in muscle gain (too old), I'll continue with cardio, then weights and as an old count, I can say damn you lifters to hell!!!

Edited by Bruce Willis

Creepy Lurker

I'm suggesting nothing of the sort, I was genuinely looking for your reasons behind what you said as I recall hearing differing opinions when doing a college course. (not everyone is looking for confrontation CL)

:cornette:

Sorry for being so confrontational, Bruce.

Konrad von Carstein

:cornette:

Sorry for being so confrontational, Bruce.

Oh grow up, given your past history it's easy to think that you are looking for an in to be a clever c.nt when reading your replies...

Creepy Lurker

Oh grow up, given your past history it's easy to think that you are looking for an in to be a clever c.nt when reading your replies...

It sure is lucky that you aren't being confrontational, as given how badly I want a confrontation I'd undoubtedly be having a right old set to with you right about now if you were.

Konrad von Carstein

It sure is lucky that you aren't being confrontational, as given how badly I want a confrontation I'd undoubtedly be having a right old set to with you right about now if you were.

:lol:

Point missed, have a nice night young man

Konrad von Carstein

Glad you're feeling better now, mate.

Was a bit of a rush to be honest, rage has settled now though, thanks for your kind thoughts

About 5 years ago I used to run 5k before weights.

I didn't want to cut it out as I had convinced myself I'd get fat.

Proper noob back then.

When I finally cut out the cardio I got bigger, stronger and leaner.

The performance increase in weight training went through the roof. As did my motivation to diet better as I actually saw progression. :lol:

Konrad von Carstein

About 5 years ago I used to run 5k before weights.

I didn't want to cut it out as I had convinced myself I'd get fat.

Proper noob back then.

When I finally cut out the cardio I got bigger, stronger and leaner.

The performance increase in weight training went through the roof. As did my motivation to diet better as I actually saw progression. :lol:

If I may be so bold, not everyone wants to get bigger, err, brah...

Creepy Lurker

Seems like you've got quite the chip on your shoulder. Try to be more of a positive person, that would be my advice to you.

Chill man!

I'm only about 13 stone, not some 20 stone monster. Haha

Like I said, I got bigger and leaner.

I probably didn't weigh much more, it was a case of losing fat and also gaining lean muscle. Who wouldn't want that?

Konrad von Carstein

Seems like you've got quite the chip on your shoulder. Try to be more of a positive person, that would be my advice to you.

:lol: No, honestly I haven't got a chip anywhere and am reasonably positive in life , you however seem to be spoiling for a reaction, which won't be forthcoming, goodnight young man x

Creepy Lurker

:lol: No, honestly I haven't got a chip anywhere and am reasonably positive in life , you however seem to be spoiling for a reaction, which won't be forthcoming, goodnight young man x

Yeah, I'm the one spoiling for a reaction here. Definitely. :cornette:

Konrad von Carstein

Chill man!

I'm only about 13 stone, not some 20 stone monster. Haha

Like I said, I got bigger and leaner.

I probably didn't weigh much more, it was a case of losing fat and also gaining lean muscle. Who wouldn't want that?

Cheers Sten, was completely chilled just a personal thing re being BIGGER, not my bag, good on you though!