The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

William H. Bonney
10 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler77 said:

I was speechless no pun intended 

Spoiler

How stupid were the parents though? No fight whatsoever.  They were pathetic

Dirkdiggler77
24 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Hide contents

How stupid were the parents though? No fight whatsoever.  They were pathetic

Spoiler

Yeah this has divided a lot of people and most have said the films shit because of their actions. But i think the film is supposed to be taken as an allegory of what being too polite socially  does if taken to an extreme, if you look at it like that it works.

But also some of their actions aren't a complete stretch i think people underestimate how they would act if thrown into such an awkward situation especially if you are a total pacifist 

William H. Bonney
11 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler77 said:
  Hide contents

Yeah this has divided a lot of people and most have said the films shit because of their actions. But i think the film is supposed to be taken as an allegory of what being too polite socially  does if taken to an extreme, if you look at it like that it works.

But also some of their actions aren't a complete stretch i think people underestimate how they would act if thrown into such an awkward situation especially if you are a total pacifist 

Spoiler

Yes, fair point. It's their inoffensive middle class persona that attracts them to the killers. Any hint of aggression and they wouldn't have been chosen.

They were invited because they're so weak. 

I'm a horror fanatic and even for me, the scissor scene made me squirm

On 18/10/2022 at 21:16, Cade said:

Top Gun: Maverick

Apparently, they do still make them like this

9/10

:yas:

One to have watched in the cinema for the full effect. Well filmed but a well trodden genre which Was watchable but nothing special 

6/10

Edited by JimmyCant

Shanks said no

Strangeways Here we come

7 /10

Black British comedy set in Salford/Manchester. Cheaply made and crude. Good tunes and a few laugh out loud moments. If you want to spend 90 minutes with an easy watch, as I did, its decent. 

Netflix

Dirkdiggler77
4 hours ago, William H. Bonney said:

Hide contents

Yes, fair point. It's their inoffensive middle class persona that attracts them to the killers. Any hint of aggression and they wouldn't have been chosen.

They were invited because they're so weak. 

I'm a horror fanatic and even for me, the scissor scene made me squirm

Spoiler

100 percent from the very first moment when he asked if he could take the chair by the pool and he gave up his daughters their cards were marked. Every step of the way after was little test after test and the bad bloke knew how to play the father he would slyly insult him one second and then compliment him the next.

Me too and the dark slow psychological horrors are my favourite and ones like this don't come around all the time where it gets under your skin and stay with you for days, i had no idea they were going to go that far with the kid just a brutal cruel ending but way better than them fighting them off high speed chase happy ever after ect it is horror after all if it doesn't disturb you in someway whats the point lol

Funnily enough i watched Frontiers yesterday which is like Martyrs gore wise and i was quite bored it didn't scare me at all i just found it silly

Edited by Dirkdiggler77

Carl Fredrickson
On 24/10/2022 at 07:51, Disser Pointon said:

The Banshees of Inisherin. Bit if a bizarre tale but very enjoyable all the same. If you liked In Bruges this will also be up your street. 7.5/10.

Saw this tonight. Very well made and I really enjoyed it. A few funny moments but it is also quite dark and sad at times. Agree with the score, I would have given it a 7 or an 8. 

Shanks said no

The Bombardment

8/10

Based on a true story, WW2 with the RAF bombing Copenhagen. I only put it on because I'm heading there next week. Was pleasantly surprised and learnt about Denmark during that period. Danish / Belgium production that focusses on local population.

If you do watch keep on until the closing titles.

Netflix

Shanks said no

I realise this was shown a year ago on C4 but I missed it

Help

9.5/10

A rare high mark from me. Watched last night (Netflix) and still with me now. Its early 2020, set in a Liverpool care home and here comes Covid. Utterly superb performances from Stephen Graham and Jodie Comer (it took me an hour to realise it was Villanelle). So raw, so realistic and so heartbreakingly sad.

Dick Dastardly
On 18/10/2022 at 14:50, JimmyCant said:

Been binging Denzel this week

Equalizer 1 & 2

Training Day

American Gangster

All brilliant solid 9/10 movies by the actor of our generation 

On 18/10/2022 at 16:41, ri Alban said:

Book of Eli, Ricochet, Fallen and De javo. 👍

Man on fire is my favourite Denzel film. 

Been away a couple of nights and re-watched In Bruges and The Guard in preparation for The Banshees of Inisherin

Martin McDonagh is just a genius

In Bruges in particular is a masterpiece. Hysterical, poignant and great to look at.

Carl Fredrickson

Lyle, Lyle Crocodile. 

My daughter was desperate to see this due to watching trailers for it. My son and I took her along to see it today with very low expectations. 

My daughter loved it and it provoked a lot of conversations as it covered a lot of topics (social exclusion, grief, step-parents. hurt, rejection.....)

Far better than my son and I were expecting and if you have young kids they will adore it for being a fun family film. Older kids may enjoy it too for different reasons. 

7/10 is the average between the three of us. 

19 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

The Banshees of Inisherin

19 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

The Banshees of Inisherin

yes i am looking forward to this too as i loved" In bruges"  Colin Farrel is growing into a fine screen actor and Brendan Gleason is always superb. 

15 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

My daughter loved it and it provoked a lot of conversations as it covered a lot of topics (social exclusion, grief, step-parents. hurt, rejection.....)

So true regarding films as they can elicit conversations about more difficult subjects with kids.   I used to take my niece to the pitchers a lot when she was a kid and we went to see films which are defined as " children's" films but most were really good and as you stated can cover a range of issues.  I recall seeing " my girl 2" and the shock of one of the child characters dying but apparently it opened up a lot of dialogue between children and adults about bereavement.   My niece now has kids but they aren't really interested in going to the pics, mind you one is only 3 ! :) time goes fast really so enjoy those precious times

On 19/10/2022 at 21:02, William H. Bonney said:

Incident in a ghostland.  

A home invasion themed movie. Nasty and violent.  I really enjoyed it. 

Give that a go later

On 19/10/2022 at 21:02, William H. Bonney said:

Incident in a ghostland.  

A home invasion themed movie. Nasty and violent.  I really enjoyed it. 

Grim viewing mate but excellent! Had never heard of it prior to u saying u had watched it

mickycameron98

Kingpin. A Farrelly brothers film sandwiched in between Dumb and Dumber and There's something about Mary. Very underated if you ask me. Woody Harrelson is excellent in a rare comedy role, as is the brilliant Bill Murray. Randy Quaid makes up the main cast and is superb as the nice but naive Amish bowler. 

Carl Fredrickson
4 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

Kingpin. A Farrelly brothers film sandwiched in between Dumb and Dumber and There's something about Mary. Very underated if you ask me. Woody Harrelson is excellent in a rare comedy role, as is the brilliant Bill Murray. Randy Quaid makes up the main cast and is superb as the nice but naive Amish bowler. 

Not watched it in years. First time I saw it I was howling with laughter

Fire_At_The_Disco

Watched Elvis last night, good performance from the lead, he really looked the part. I wasn’t really taken with Tom Hanks playing Tom Parker, thought he overdid it.

7/10

12 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Good Nurse (Netflix) 

Sad true story about a nurse in the U.S. which seems similar to others in the UK.  8/10

I watched this Sunday night.

Medical profession like to cover up their errors shall we say. Very good performances from the two leading actors. 8/10 too.

On 31/10/2022 at 20:15, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Watched Elvis last night, good performance from the lead, he really looked the part. I wasn’t really taken with Tom Hanks playing Tom Parker, thought he overdid it.

7/10

Good movie but I agree Hanks is dreadful in it.

All Quiet on the Western Front. Netflix. 7/10. 17 year old German joins the army and fights in the trenches during WW2, enduring the horrors of war. Broadly based on the 1930 film (which already had a remake) but quite a few changes. 
in German, I watched the dubbed version and wish I hadn’t. Will watch again with subtitles. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

All Quiet on the Western Front. Netflix. 7/10. 17 year old German joins the army and fights in the trenches during WW2, enduring the horrors of war. Broadly based on the 1930 film (which already had a remake) but quite a few changes. 
in German, I watched the dubbed version and wish I hadn’t. Will watch again with subtitles. 

I watched the first half of this (German with subs) last night. Very good. Looking forward to watching the rest tonight.

33 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I watched the first half of this (German with subs) last night. Very good. Looking forward to watching the rest tonight.

You won't be disappointed, meant WW1 in my original post, can't correct it now.

William H. Bonney

Victoria. 

The first half of this film Is outstanding. 

The choices she makes post cafe scene seemed a bit ludicrous.  

Still, worth watching. Shot in one take apparently.  

15 hours ago, GinRummy said:

You won't be disappointed, meant WW1 in my original post, can't correct it now.

It was excellent. 8/10 from me.

On 28/10/2022 at 22:37, Cruyff said:

Smile

1/10 so, so bad. 

Yeah wasn’t the best horror I’ve seen, baffling that it got such good reviews 

Shanks said no

The Chalk Line (Jaula)

9/10

Spanish phycological thriller, quite difficult to explain. A couple find a 6 year old girl wandering in a remote road and end up being her foster carers. She is emotionally scarred and won't talk and feels safe only when a chalk box is around her. Then things start taking weird turns and the climax as things unravel is shocking. Uncomfortable watch and you can't help thinking Madeline M

Netflix

Vesper (2022)

7/10

Post apocalyptic sci-fi.

A young girl struggles to keep her dying father alive in an inhospitable environment where biological technology has run amok.
The rich live in sealed off futuristic cities and the poor live a medieval existence providing the cities with resources in exchange for seeds genetically programmed to only provide one harvest of crops.

Some nice ideas and some good performances.

Eddie Marsan is as quietly menacing as ever.

Shanks said no
On 03/11/2022 at 05:58, GinRummy said:

Very good film / remake, I'd give it a 7.5/10

Shanks said no

My Policeman

5/10

A vehicle for Harry Styles to further his film career but an interesting part to take on. Predominantly set in 50's Brighton about a gay policeman covering his sexuality. The cinematography irritated me big time with crashing waves a favourite.

On 07/11/2022 at 13:14, Shanks said no said:

My Policeman

5/10

A vehicle for Harry Styles to further his film career but an interesting part to take on. Predominantly set in 50's Brighton about a gay policeman covering his sexuality. The cinematography irritated me big time with crashing waves a favourite.

Thought it was quite poorly done as well. Shame because quite an interesting story.

Hellraiser - 2022.

4 / 10.

I was dying to see this but it's pretty poor, not sure the point of it really, avoid and watch the original. 

All Quiet on the Western Front

7/10

Watched in German. Good acting and visuals. Not exactly a feel good film but inter3stig  to see some War stories told from the other side. Even if not true as such.

Strangeways Here We Come.

I do not know what to make of this.

Nothing special but I lol so many times.

I must have enjoyed it.Never thought of switching off.

Watched this with the wife last night. Best film both of us have seen for a long time. Up there with the likes of Shawshank and Usual Suspects for me.

Edit. It was so good I forgot the proper name. It’s Where The Crawdads Sing. 🙈

Edited by JimBett365

Dick Dastardly
5 hours ago, JimBett365 said:

Watched this with the wife last night. Best film both of us have seen for a long time. Up there with the likes of Shawshank and Usual Suspects for me.

Edit. It was so good I forgot the proper name. It’s Where The Crawdads Sing. 🙈

I take it there is a bit of a twist at the end going by the two films you compared it to? 

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, JimBett365 said:

😉🙊

If someone crawls through a tunnel and stops being disabled I'm wrecking the place! 😂 😂 😂 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If someone crawls through a tunnel and stops being disabled I'm wrecking the place! 😂 😂 😂 

😂😂😂

17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Where did you see it and why isn’t this in the film thread? 😀

I've seen it advertised on Amazon Prime, I'll have to watch it.