The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Carl Fredrickson

Went to see Wakanda Forever last night with the kids. My daughter fell asleep during it and I wish I did. My son loved it but I thought it was very disappointing. Could have done with being half an hour too short. Far too long spent reflecting on Black Panther (playing the sentimental card too much IMO) and dont get me started on the rest of it. 3/10

Finally watched Top Gun: Maverick

I really enjoyed it, despite the rather unrealistic storyline.  Spoiler below:

Spoiler

Nevermind surviving a Mach 10+ breakup and crash landing (how on earth would you safely eject from something that would still be hypersonic by the time it hits the ground), they have been told to avoid engaging the enemy jets at all costs, which they throw out of the window immediately, in a ground bombing mission that would never be taken on by the US Navy in the first place.  They are up against Su-57s in F-18 Super Hornets which would likely have a significant advantage due simply due to the technology in them.  There is no reason they couldn't have been supported by F-35's that would entirely negate the threat of the Su-57s.  After completing their double miracle mission, Maverick flies into the path of an enemy missile to save Rooster who flies a suicide mission to make up for having his own life saved minutes earlier. They then somehow find an airworthy 1970's F-14A Tomcat in a insurgent hangar which has definitely been maintained, and manage to get a guns-only kill against something that has been repeatedly described as invincible throughout the film. 

It was silly, and it ticked all the right boxes for me.  Kept me entertained for the whole runtime, and was a good successor to the original.  8/10.

luckyBatistuta

All Quiet on the Western Front

Just finished watching this, incredible watch. Beautifully made film, which really hits home the utter madness and hell that soldiers on all sides had to go through. 

9/10

16 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

All Quiet on the Western Front

Just finished watching this, incredible watch. Beautifully made film, which really hits home the utter madness and hell that soldiers on all sides had to go through. 

9/10

The book is better. Was one of the books I had to read for my O Grade English way back in 1978/79.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

The book is better. Was one of the books I had to read for my O Grade English way back in 1978/79.

Not read it myself. Couldn’t tell you the books I read for my O Grade English and mine was in 1984.

29 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not read it myself. Couldn’t tell you the books I read for my O Grade English and mine was in 1984.

You just know the way home for my work colleague in Fife😉.

The other things we had to read up on.

Were, Shakespeare's Julius Ceaser, Ernest Hemingway's The Old man and the sea, Charles Dicken's Nicholas Nickelby, and our modern literature at the time was the play Wullie Rough, by Peter McDougall. Which was made into a BBC1 Play for today, starring Fulton Mackay. Main difference from the TV version to the actual play, was that on television they said p*** off and not **** off as written by the playwright.

Edited by John Findlay

luckyBatistuta
49 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You just know the way home for my work colleague in Fife😉.

The other things we had to read up on.

Were, Shakespeare's Julius Ceaser, Ernest Hemingway's The Old man and the sea, Charles Dicken's Nicholas Nickelby, and our modern literature at the time was the play Wullie Rough, by Peter McDougall. Which was made into a BBC1 Play for today, starring Fulton Mackay. Main difference from the TV version to the actual play, was that on television they said p*** off and not **** off as written by the playwright.

What school did you go to John, I never had to read all that for my O Grade at Boroughmuir, still past it though😁

Chris, I think it was? Was having a right good chat with him and thought i wonder if he knows John. Told him to let you know luckyBatistuta had dropped him off, didn’t think he’d remember. Well done to that man👏

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

What school did you go to John, I never had to read all that for my O Grade at Boroughmuir, still past it though😁

Chris, I think it was? Was having a right good chat with him and thought i wonder if he knows John. Told him to let you know luckyBatistuta had dropped him off, didn’t think he’d remember. Well done to that man👏

St Thomas's. I passed mine too😁.

Yeah we work together doing the same job. We were talking today about it👏

luckyBatistuta
Just now, John Findlay said:

St Thomas's. I passed mine too😁.

Yeah we work together doing the same job. We were talking today about it👏

Now you say it, I remember you saying you went there🤪

Bet he’ll be taking ear plugs with him next time, I never shut up🤣

25 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Now you say it, I remember you saying you went there🤪

Bet he’ll be taking ear plugs with him next time, I never shut up🤣

🤣

Malinga the Swinga

Two films to go in Abbott and Costello series on Sky Arts.

They've been on for week or so now and been ages since I had watched them.

Boris Karloff been in a couple.

Not everyone's cup of tea but there's a few good laughs in them.

All Quiet on the Western Front. 

Outstanding and harrowing at the same time.

The right wing revisionists in this country have been busy rewriting history and the 'Lions Led By Donkeys' narrative that was taught in schools for most of the 20th Century. Now Haig and his generals are war heroes who led the forces to sweeping victories in 1918.

Thankfully there are still brutal reminders of the absurd pointlessness of it all. 

9/10.

“ The good nurse “ 

about a bad nurse who killed patients in his care. The good nurse helped the polis snare him . For such a subject the film is surprisingly flat . Eddie Redmayne and Jessica Chastine play the leads . 

6/10 

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ The good nurse “ 

about a bad nurse who killed patients in his care. The good nurse helped the polis snare him . For such a subject the film is surprisingly flat . Eddie Redmayne and Jessica Chastine play the leads . 

6/10 

I thought the documentary, Capturing the Killer Nurse, was a better watch. Also on Netflix.

55 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I thought the documentary, Capturing the Killer Nurse, was a better watch. Also on Netflix.

I’ve not got Netflix now , might catch it somewhere else . They think he might have killed up to 400 people 

Dick Dastardly

Black Panther 2 Wakanda Forever. 

The action sequences were ok but a bit of a stupid story. A very romanticised vision of African culture (not that I'm in anyway an expert) kind of like an African Brigadoon with spears. 

"Glass Onion Knives out 2"  

Went to see this at the pics last night.  Really enjoyed it. Its a real caper. Also very funny and times and a great twisting plot/ whodunnit.  The case was all outstanding. Edward Norton , Kate Hudon and Daniel Craig and many others.  The most outstanding was an actress I've never heard of.  Janelle Monae .  I had to ask my friends who she was as hadn't heard of her.  Apparently a singer but also acts.  She was terrific.  Excellent film. Very long but fairly whizzes along. 

8/10 from me . 

47 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

"Glass Onion Knives out 2"  

Went to see this at the pics last night.  Really enjoyed it. Its a real caper. Also very funny and times and a great twisting plot/ whodunnit.  The case was all outstanding. Edward Norton , Kate Hudon and Daniel Craig and many others.  The most outstanding was an actress I've never heard of.  Janelle Monae .  I had to ask my friends who she was as hadn't heard of her.  Apparently a singer but also acts.  She was terrific.  Excellent film. Very long but fairly whizzes along. 

8/10 from me . 

She’s a prominent “queer icon” 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

She’s a prominent “queer icon” 

Yes I read up on her . Very good actress or actor or whatever 😂

See How They Run on Disney+. 
Quirky little whodunnit based around the play The Mousetrap in the 1950’s and a murder happening in the theatre. Rather odd casting of Sam Rockwell as a London detective but he is good as he is in pretty much everything he does. 
Very good supporting cast and a good Sunday afternoon film I’d say. 

Shanks said no

The Wonder (Netflix)

4/10

I really didn't like it. Set around 1862 in rural Ireland, it tells the story of a fasting girl who hasn't eaten in months but seems healthy. Pilgrims and tourists visit her. The village elders call in a nurse and a nun to do a 14 day watch on her to prove if she is really not eating. Not my cup of tea.

Carl Fredrickson

Strange World

The latest animation from Disney. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would and the kids (aged 7 & 12) loved it. Very unusual for a film to appeal to all of us but it is a great family film 7/10

Planes Trane and Automobiles 

Watched this with my son on Friday. His first time seeing it and we laughed along at various point. 9/10

Uncle Buck

Again, watched it with my son. Introducing him to older films that I enjoyed. He loved it. 9/10

On 18/11/2022 at 02:10, rudi must stay said:

The Phantom Of The Open

Mum watched it next door and enjoyed it. From what she said...

7/10

Miss-read as Opera.

Thats only worth watching for Jenifer Ellisons chebs.

"The Banshees of Innisheron"  

Really outstanding film. Hard to find any faults in it. It's a darkly almost comic tale about two friends Brendan Gleason and Colin Farrel.  They meet every day at 2 and go for their daily drink.  Until the Brendan G characters decides to end their friendship without much of a reason.  However, Colin F cant deal with and keeps trying to reconcile with the friend.  Anyway, ill not give too much away.  It's very funny at times as well as quite profound as the Brendan G character questions his own mortality and life in general and its basically all a big nothing,  Very deep . 

9./10 for me. 

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

"The Banshees of Innisheron"  

Really outstanding film. Hard to find any faults in it. It's a darkly almost comic tale about two friends Brendan Gleason and Colin Farrel.  They meet every day at 2 and go for their daily drink.  Until the Brendan G characters decides to end their friendship without much of a reason.  However, Colin F cant deal with and keeps trying to reconcile with the friend.  Anyway, ill not give too much away.  It's very funny at times as well as quite profound as the Brendan G character questions his own mortality and life in general and its basically all a big nothing,  Very deep . 

9./10 for me. 

I’m looking forward to seeing this one, he’s a hell of a writer, whether it’s plays or films. 

38 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m looking forward to seeing this one, he’s a hell of a writer, whether it’s plays or films. 

Yes he’s a great talent . 

The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent on Amazon Prime. Starring Nicolas Cage as Nic Cage. 
Very silly and meta film with him playing himself and getting into a plot involving kidnapping, the CIA and a super fan played by Pedro Pascal. Good fun with some great lines and performances from the two main characters. 

henrysmithsgloves
On 16/10/2022 at 17:17, Cade said:

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Multiversal-themed comedy/action/drama

Superb stuff and pishes all over Dr Strange 2.

:yas:

What the F were they smoking when they wrote this???? Just watched it , brilliant,had a few belly laughs at some of the scenes. Wee attack dog🤣🤣🤣 and those fingers🤣🤣🤣guards getting beat up with certain items,thanks for the recommendation 👍👍😎

Weekend of family movie fun.

Lyle Lyle Crocodile - 3/10

Slumberland -7/10 Pretty enjoyable new netflix family film with a bit of emotion thrown in, Aquaman in the lead roll.

14 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

What the F were they smoking when they wrote this???? Just watched it , brilliant,had a few belly laughs at some of the scenes. Wee attack dog🤣🤣🤣 and those fingers🤣🤣🤣guards getting beat up with certain items,thanks for the recommendation 👍👍😎

672jvzyfqtd91.png?auto=webp&s=bcc4b61773

if you know, you know

Edited by Cade

40 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Alien is on tonight. ITV 4 9pm.

If you haven’t seen this classic, watch it or set it to record.

Its a beauty.

Hell no. Not good for your mind.

Good Night Oppy.

A documentary film following the Spirit and Opportunity Mars Rovers as a 90-day mission turns into a 15 year epic voyage of discovery.

13 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Its a beauty.

I always preferred the sequel.Completely different though as its more an action movie

14 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Its a beauty.

The best horror and arguably also the best sci fi film ever made.

henrysmithsgloves
56 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The best horror and arguably also the best sci fi film ever made.

Never the same after watching this😲.