The Damp Squib Thread

Guest jambomickey

Guest jambomickey

CLOSE THIS THREAD AND BAN THE OP PLEASE MODS

why? all i said was the coaching team were confident of getting him before the window shut! by all accounts bids were made but michael johnson didn't sell.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While it has been a good transfer window in relation to who we have brought in and retained, I can't help feel that if we had been able to get an AM, the season would have been so much better.

It was one of the positions JJ identified that we needed someone to play in. My only concern about this is that we had no plan B after Bryson. When we were knocked back pre-season, that should have been it as far as Bryson was concerned and we moved on to another target. Dorman was away pre-season, so he was already discounted.

We don't know if there were moves for other players but the fact we were bidding for Bryson on the last day of the window suggests that he was our main target and no one else was considered. I think there was a mistaken belief that Killie would swerve first in this game of chicken and sell. Unfortunately that didn't happen and we are still short of a little quality in this area.

Hopefully in January, we will be able to address this and that the Bryson saga is now officially over and we can move onto someone else to play in that position

While it has been a good transfer window in relation to who we have brought in and retained, I can't help feel that if we had been able to get an AM, the season would have been so much better.

It was one of the positions JJ identified that we needed someone to play in. My only concern about this is that we had no plan B after Bryson. When we were knocked back pre-season, that should have been it as far as Bryson was concerned and we moved on to another target. Dorman was away pre-season, so he was already discounted.

We don't know if there were moves for other players but the fact we were bidding for Bryson on the last day of the window suggests that he was our main target and no one else was considered. I think there was a mistaken belief that Killie would swerve first in this game of chicken and sell. Unfortunately that didn't happen and we are still short of a little quality in this area.

Hopefully in January, we will be able to address this and that the Bryson saga is now officially over and we can move onto someone else to play in that position

I'm not sure that all the hype around Bryson is merited and I don't see it a failure that we haven't signed him. I would much rather we developed Robinson or Mulrooney in this role and looking even further ahead, Jason Holt.

All in all I think this has been a great window for Hearts and Jefferies should be applauded.

I'm not sure that all the hype around Bryson is merited and I don't see it a failure that we haven't signed him. I would much rather we developed Robinson or Mulrooney in this role and looking even further ahead, Jason Holt.

All in all I think this has been a great window for Hearts and Jefferies should be applauded.

Agreed. The hype surrounding Bryson (and Hartley) was flamed out of all proportion on JKB (and in some instances by people who probably hadn't even seen Bryson play). The squad may have benefited from the addition of an experienced AM but maybe JJ will now look to blood one of the younger players in this role - give Robinson his chance in the position he says he prefers.

With the squad sorted, JJ can concentrate on his formations and tactics - something that deserted him on Sunday.

Onward and Upward

I'm saying VR has his finger on the purse.

Fixed that for you.

Losers lose. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

I believe Vlad has a plaque saying the exact same thing nailed above his bed :cool_shades:

Apologies if I am going to buck the trend of the thread but two things have delighted me this morning.

1) Lee Wallace - I felt certain earlier in the year that he would leave this window. I could not see him being at the club for 1 September but it is fantastic news he is still here. Whilst others mention Driver, it is my view that we would struggle most if Wallace left.

2) Craig Bryson - This is going to seem odd as I rate the lad and have supported our efforts to sign him but I was concerned we were getting into a bidding battle with Kilmarnock. Whilst I would have liked him to be a Hearts player this window, I was concerned we would go over market value and equally concerned we would lose a player as part of the bargain. IMO we will now be in a strong bargaining position in January, Kilmarnock now know we won't simply cave in and give them what they want.

Obviously a signing or two would be nice but all in all I am a happy camper. :)

Please collect your razorblades at the door on the way in.

Tried that last at the last window. Failed. Nobody had informed me that a gilette mach 3 is seldom dangerous.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Despite the shenanigans of the Hartley saga, I'm delighted with our close season. We've improved the squad significantly and there's an air of normality about HMFC as well. Good times ahead! :thumb:

:lol: Just saying i don't like it.

it took ages but i`ve calculated what you spent and how much of an opinion that entitles you to. unfortunately you are now due ?18,492.76 your paltry ?175 ran out months ago. paypal and all major c/c accepted (except diners club).

Chad Sexington

Despite the disappointment of the failed Bryson bid its been a very decent window.

We look far healthier up front and to still have both Wallace and Driver till at least January is a Brucie bonus I didn't think we would get. :thumbsup:

john brownlee

I agree with this No plan B I can't believe that JJ and the board were naive enough to believe that it was cut and dried and he was our player come midnight. Its happened before and not just for players. defo no plan B for Heartly and no plan B for Magoo ( that's not to say I wanted them)

Well I hope we have learned and byson is now history and lets look for someone else and please next window don't put all our eggs in one basket.

Also IMO we still need an attacking midfielder, though I'm happy with what we have, but there's alway room for improvement.

The People's Chimp

Get with the programme Acey. Now that we have failed to bring in an attacking midfielder those of us with some vision and inventiveness have decided that Lee Wallace should play in central midfield alongside Eggert Jonsson thus utilising our best players in key positions. Ruben Palazuelos is our new left back. Gorgeous George tried LW in that role to great effect so that is good enough for me. Our strongset team is therefore :

Kello

Barr

Bouzid

Zaliukas

Palazuelos

Templeton

Jonsson

Wallace

Driver

Kyle

Elliot (though not sure as yet which)

Subs :

McDonald

C Thomson

Mrowiec

Suso

Stevenson

Obua

Elliot (whichever)

Chances of the 11 being on the field at the same time at any point are zero nevermind in those positions such is the fragility of there little bodies but that is my Hearts dream team 2010-11. If fit for any length of time it will cruise 3rd and reach a cup final.

:rofl:

Hearts last bid was 300K

To be honest we were never going to get Bryson for that.......Vlad obviously didn't fancy the player as he has always told us he would pay millions for the "right player" :whistling::rolleyes:

Disappointing but we move on.

Hearts last bid was 300K

To be honest we were never going to get Bryson for that.......Vlad obviously didn't fancy the player as he has always told us he would pay millions for the "right player" :whistling::rolleyes:

JJ gave VR a valuation which VR met and offered. Jim wouldn't want him to pay over the odds. Noone's fault that our valuation is lower than Killie's. Noone's fault that Michael Johnstone is a bellend. Never mind though, have a dig at VR at every opportunity. Infact, why wait for an opportunity?

Get with the programme Acey. Now that we have failed to bring in an attacking midfielder those of us with some vision and inventiveness have decided that Lee Wallace should play in central midfield alongside Eggert Jonsson thus utilising our best players in key positions. Ruben Palazuelos is our new left back. Gorgeous George tried LW in that role to great effect so that is good enough for me. Our strongset team is therefore :

Kello

Barr

Bouzid

Zaliukas

Palazuelos

Templeton

Jonsson

Wallace

Driver

Kyle

Elliot (though not sure as yet which)

Subs :

McDonald

C Thomson

Mrowiec

Suso

Stevenson

Obua

Elliot (whichever)

Chances of the 11 being on the field at the same time at any point are zero nevermind in those positions such is the fragility of there little bodies but that is my Hearts dream team 2010-11. If fit for any length of time it will cruise 3rd and reach a cup final.

:lol:

If having vision means playing arguably our best player out of position and then playing a make-shift LB then thank christ I don't have it :woot:

Thank god thats the window closed and we can get back to the football!

Also that was one of the best transfer windows we've had in ages and I am delighted with the squad we have.

But once we get an attacking midfielder, folk will suddenly go "now all we need is a right back" then "all we need is a goalie" and so on and so forth. Folk on JKB will literally never be happy.

I'm looking forward to December's Bryson threads already.

although i have said we need to replace kingston since the moment he left i still think it has been a really good transfer window and for the first time in a few years we now have a couple of decent strikers, which was always the most important thing.

the transfer window could have been better but it could have been a hell of a lot worse and i never expected in june that wallace and driver would still be here today.

but you raise an interesting point and of course we are always going to ask for more improvements all over the park. i also think no matter what signings are made the fans (not just on KB) are going to expect someone on the last day.

for instance if steven elliott had signed at 11.45pm last night instead of two weeks ago this place would be a far happier place today.

Marmeladent?rtchen

JJ gave VR a valuation which VR met and offered. Jim wouldn't want him to pay over the odds. Noone's fault that our valuation is lower than Killie's. Noone's fault that Michael Johnstone is a bellend. Never mind though, have a dig at VR at every opportunity. Infact, why wait for an opportunity?

No deal could be agreed,, that life. Time to move on.

Hearts can look at getting a loan signing for 6 months and see what happens at the next transfer window.

If having vision means playing arguably our best player out of position and then playing a make-shift LB then thank christ I don't have it :woot:

i`m not in favour of it as such but sometimes these things can work. no need to dismiss this idea out of hand. if we are playing a team who are vulnerable through the middle we know how good wallace can be going forward so might be worth a try.

i`m not in favour of it as such but sometimes these things can work. no need to dismiss this idea out of hand. if we are playing a team who are vulnerable through the middle we know how good wallace can be going forward so might be worth a try.

Wallace is a MF player who was shoe-horned into LB due to lack of resources at some point. He gets away with it as he's equiped with decent pace, however I'm sure he could be faulted for his positional sense at some point in most games.

Swap him and Paly around and I'm sure it would be like having an extra player on the park.

There is no point signing a player for the sake of keeping JKB posters happy.

JJ had is target went for it and we didnt get it. JJ has stated already he will not buy for the sake of buying and if he didnt add to the squad then he was happy to go with what we have just now.

There is more positives in this window than we have had for a good few years. Rome wasnt built in a day chaps!!

Its exactly because he is arguably our best player I would try him as a much more central figure in the team. Him and Jonnson would dominate central midfield in the SPL. Frankly he is largely wasted for us at left back and given our complete dearth of quality in the centre of the park we should look at all options. Palazuelos has also produced much more comfortable performances at left back than he has in midfield but we could also look at bringing a youngster into the fold there. If it is ok to regulaly play Jonsson here there and everywhere why is it not ok to try a few things with as good a player as Lee ?

Its exactly because he is arguably our best player I would try him as a much more central figure in the team. Him and Jonnson would dominate central midfield in the SPL. Frankly he is largely wasted for us at left back and given our complete dearth of quality in the centre of the park we should look at all options. Palazuelos has also produced much more comfortable performances at left back than he has in midfield but we could also look at bringing a youngster into the fold there. If it is ok to regulaly play Jonsson here there and everywhere why is it not ok to try a few things with as good a player as Lee ?

Personally I don't buy this whole playing players out of position lark, players should be playing in the position that they play best. Not shoe-horned into other positions because the needs arise (this applies for Jonsson as well).

I'd much rather Robinson or even Templeton was given a run in the middle of the park than move Lee about, but then that's just my opinion.

My mother (as mother's do) once bought me two ties for my Christmas. As she was coming for Christmas dinner I wore one of the ties in her honour. On arrival the first thing she said was "Don't you like the other tie?" blink.gif

That's Kickback, that is.

JJ had is target went for it and we didnt get it. JJ has stated already he will not buy for the sake of buying and if he didnt add to the squad then he was happy to go with what we have just now.

There is more positives in this window than we have had for a good few years. Rome wasnt built in a day chaps!!

Then I hope he is confident that we can utilise the youngsters in the MF positions and not spend the next 6 months filling the AM gap with Polyfilla

good post. the whole should have had a plan b brigade didn`t come accross too well in my opinion. if plan b prevented him from maybe getting bryson in a few months time then plan b was never a goer imo.

regardless of what i think of bryson (cos i don`t have a strong opinion one way or another) he is the player the manager wanted and will still be available in january.

Bit touchy this morning bud, my post was a little bit tongue in cheek..................BUT please don't give me this Michael Johnstone is a bellend crap.

Bryson has been their best player in the last 2 seasons and has 3 years, yes 3 years left on his contract, not 6 months or even a year.

To offer 200K initially and then a token gesture 300K IMHO is a feckin joke and we slag off the Old Firm for offering pawltry amounts of money for other clubs best players.

Their chairman was spot on not accepting these bids and fair play to him for having the balls.

I will even praise Romanov for getting us top dollar on players sold. it works both ways.

Bit touchy this morning bud, my post was a little bit tongue in cheek..................BUT please don't give me this Michael Johnstone is a bellend crap.

Bryson has been their best player in the last 2 seasons and has 3 years, yes 3 years left on his contract, not 6 months or even a year.

To offer 200K initially and then a token gesture 300K IMHO is a feckin joke and we slag off the Old Firm for offering pawltry amounts of money for other clubs best players.

Their chairman was spot on not accepting these bids and fair play to him for having the balls.

I will even praise Romanov for getting us top dollar on players sold. it works both ways.

its only a feckin joke because they never accepted it. they are clearly deaperate for cash but not as desperate as we had hoped.

also, we do slag the old firm of but they often get away with measly offers for players so it is clearly worth a try on occassion.

Geoff Kilpatrick

No it isn't.

Would Bryson add more than ?300K of value to our side? No.

He is obviously perceived by Kilmarnock as being more valuable than that and that is their choice.

I am not adverse to the idea of Wallace playing centre Midfield. However Wallace himself might think otherwise. He has just started to establish himself in the Scotland squad, and is now probably one good season away from a move to the Premiership. All this while being recognised as left back.

Above all, I just can't see JJ doing it.

its only a feckin joke because they never accepted it. they are clearly deaperate for cash but not as desperate as we had hoped.

also, we do slag the old firm of but they often get away with measly offers for players so it is clearly worth a try on occassion.

Indeed it was worth a try but this having a go at MJ is just sour grapes.

No it isn't.

He is obviously perceived by Kilmarnock as being more valuable than that and that is their choice.

Disagree Geoff.

Bryson has not even peaked yet and you would have hoped to improve under JJ and made him quite a valuable asset for the club in the future.

That's why I believe our offer was on the low side compared to other players who have left the SPL recently.

No it isn't.

Correct. Well done Killie on holding out from a bigger club. At least they dont prostitute their assets like Hibs.

If Bryson wanted to sign for Hearts so badly why did he renew his contract with Killie.

If an average player doesnt want to walk over broken glass to grace the Tynecastle turf then I am ambivalent.

To keep Driver and Wallace this window has been good business and I'd like to see young Robinson given a chance at the AM role, arguably his best position. Stevenson is decent enough and with a choice of Eggy, Black, Ruben and Mroweic we are covered for holding players... just think unless one of these guys develops a taste for pushing forward and scoring goals we'll not really challenge for the best of the rest title (3rd)... we were fairly hopeless in the closing stages of the utd game as their midfield was by far stronger and were lucky to hold out for that draw.

I suppose once we see our full strength team out there we'll be able to judge better... but for my money we could have done with an attacking midfield player.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Disagree Geoff.

Bryson has not even peaked yet and you would have hoped to improve under JJ and made him quite a valuable asset for the club in the future.

That's why I believe our offer was on the low side compared to other players who have left the SPL recently.

I don't see Bryson in the JJ Mark 1 mould of Cameron, McCann et al. Each to their own though.

Charlie-Brown

All the petty bickering is pointless now as Bryson aint going anywhere until January at the earliest - the clubs couldn't agree a deal simple & end of story .... what it does do is give the existing midfielders at the club especially Ryan Stevenson plus younger ones like Robinson, Mulrooney, J.Stewart, Danny Thomson & Jason Holt a 4 or 5 month opportunity to force their way into Jefferies plans and try to show that he doesn't need to spend however many X hundred thousand pounds that Kilmarnock want for Craig Bryson.

Hearts last bid was 300K

So you think rather than offering an amount recommended by the manager we should offer millions just to keep you happy?

I say we were right to offer what we did, but Killie are entitled to knock it back, though the reason alleged on this thread is daft - if he said we will not sell to any SPL rival or if we do we want more, then that is fine - but if he specifically will not sell to Hearts then you can not criticise Hearts or Vlad for this stance.

rudi must stay

Interesting to note that MikeFAIL Johnston reads Kickback.

So, with that in mind.....

:teehee:

haha, you didn't get any of our money. And you're stuck with an unhappy player

Indeed it was worth a try but this having a go at MJ is just sour grapes.

of course it`s sour grapes. this was touched upon yesterday. what did you expect a chairman who our manager had a public fall out with (and our centre forward stuck his oar in) refuses to sell us his star player.

did you honestly expect MJ not to get it tight on here?

come on you`ve been using this site much longer than me. can`t see anything wrong with hurling abuse at MJ tbh and i don`t see why anyone would have a problem with it.

The People's Chimp

All the petty bickering is pointless now as Bryson aint going anywhere until January at the earliest - the clubs couldn't agree a deal simple & end of story .... what it does do is give the existing midfielders at the club especially Ryan Stevenson plus younger ones like Robinson, Mulrooney, J.Stewart, Danny Thomson & Jason Holt a 4 or 5 month opportunity to force their way into Jefferies plans and try to show that he doesn't need to spend however many X hundred thousand pounds that Kilmarnock want for Craig Bryson.

You missed out "and an opportunity for lee wallace to cement his position in the attacking midfield role..."

Charlie-Brown

You missed out "and an opportunity for lee wallace to cement his position in the attacking midfield role..."

Yes Iam not sure quite what Lee Wallace, Jim Jefferies or indeed Craig Levein would make of that now that he seems to be Scotland's first choice at left back.

The People's Chimp

24 hours of respect.

And an exotic fruit of your choice.

of course it`s sour grapes.

I thought you might have been a bit more adventurous with your prize, but each to their own.

Rudolf's Mate

So you think rather than offering an amount recommended by the manager we should offer millions just to keep you happy?

I say we were right to offer what we did, but Killie are entitled to knock it back, though the reason alleged on this thread is daft - if he said we will not sell to any SPL rival or if we do we want more, then that is fine - but if he specifically will not sell to Hearts then you can not criticise Hearts or Vlad for this stance.

We're meant to have offered 375k a few weeks back and everyone was saying this on here. Just say this is true then do you think going in with a final offer of 300k on the final day was fair?

If the guy was going into his final year then yes reducing the price in the final day however not for a guy who is contracted to 2013! Part of me thinks this was to wind up Killie, as if it were me being offered 300k for CB then I'd knock it back. Killie are only 8M in debt (on paper at least) and only made a financial loss for 2008-2009 of 950k. The sale of Bryson for a reasonable price would have gone some way to correcting that and we should respect that more than most going by some of the fee's Vlad has slapped on players.

I don't think 500k would have been a bad price for the boy however certainly no more. That said, there were other players (the St Johnstone boy) who people were going on about so why did we not look at others if we really wanted a decent AM player?

J

Archived