The Damp Squib Thread

Guest jambomickey

of course it`s sour grapes. this was touched upon yesterday. what did you expect a chairman who our manager had a public fall out with (and our centre forward stuck his oar in) refuses to sell us his star player.

did you honestly expect MJ not to get it tight on here?

come on you`ve been using this site much longer than me. can`t see anything wrong with hurling abuse at MJ tbh and i don`t see why anyone would have a problem with it.

Fire away, keep hurling abuse at MJ.

My point is solely for a 23/24 year old with another 3 years left on his contract, 200-300K is peanuts for a player our Manager rates very highly.

Anyway where is Toto :whistling:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're meant to have offered 375k a few weeks back and everyone was saying this on here. Just say this is true then do you think going in with a final offer of 300k on the final day was fair?

If the guy was going into his final year then yes reducing the price in the final day however not for a guy who is contracted to 2013! Part of me thinks this was to wind up Killie, as if it were me being offered 300k for CB then I'd knock it back. Killie are only 8M in debt (on paper at least) and only made a financial loss for 2008-2009 of 950k. The sale of Bryson for a reasonable price would have gone some way to correcting that and we should respect that more than most going by some of the fee's Vlad has slapped on players.

I don't think 500k would have been a bad price for the boy however certainly no more. That said, there were other players (the St Johnstone boy) who people were going on about so why did we not look at others if we really wanted a decent AM player?

J

Isnt our transfer record ?800,000 for Beslija? I just dont think we should take a risk on a player that isnt lighting up the SPL, for example we got Kyle and Darren Barr for free, why pay half a mill for Bryson. We should be restricted to people coming to the end of their contracts, not signing someone who has just renewed until 2013. (Why did he do this)

We're meant to have offered 375k a few weeks back and everyone was saying this on here. Just say this is true then do you think going in with a final offer of 300k on the final day was fair?

If the guy was going into his final year then yes reducing the price in the final day however not for a guy who is contracted to 2013! Part of me thinks this was to wind up Killie, as if it were me being offered 300k for CB then I'd knock it back. Killie are only 8M in debt (on paper at least) and only made a financial loss for 2008-2009 of 950k. The sale of Bryson for a reasonable price would have gone some way to correcting that and we should respect that more than most going by some of the fee's Vlad has slapped on players.

I don't think 500k would have been a bad price for the boy however certainly no more. That said, there were other players (the St Johnstone boy) who people were going on about so why did we not look at others if we really wanted a decent AM player?

J

Isnt our transfer record ?800,000 for Beslija? I just dont think we should take a risk on a player that isnt lighting up the SPL, for example we got Kyle and Darren Barr for free, why pay half a mill for Bryson. We should be restricted to people coming to the end of their contracts, not signing someone who has just renewed until 2013. (Why did he do this)

Rudolf's Mate

Clerry Jambo answered this one for me....

My point is solely for a 23/24 year old with another 3 years left on his contract, 200-300K is peanuts for a player our Manager rates very highly.

I agree with the above and have said in previous posts that I wasn't bothered about getting him. That said you have to have faith in the manager and that he has seen something in the boy to warrant the pursuit of him through the summer.

Walter Bishop

Get with the programme Acey. Now that we have failed to bring in an attacking midfielder those of us with some vision and inventiveness have decided that Lee Wallace should play in central midfield alongside Eggert Jonsson thus utilising our best players in key positions. Ruben Palazuelos is our new left back. Gorgeous George tried LW in that role to great effect so that is good enough for me. Our strongset team is therefore :

Kello

Barr

Bouzid

Zaliukas

Palazuelos

Templeton

Jonsson

Wallace

Driver

Kyle

Elliot (though not sure as yet which)

Subs :

McDonald

C Thomson

Mrowiec

Suso

Stevenson

Obua

Elliot (whichever)

Chances of the 11 being on the field at the same time at any point are zero nevermind in those positions such is the fragility of there little bodies but that is my Hearts dream team 2010-11. If fit for any length of time it will cruise 3rd and reach a cup final.

omfg.jpeg

If Burnley had come back in for Driver yesterday with the same offer we'd turned down weeks ago and we'd sold him, there would be meltdown on here. And yet we blame the Killie chairman for turning us down.

I would have liked us to sign Bryson, however Killie's valuation for him was too high for my liking. We offered what we did, they turned it down, nobody is massively damaged. We move on and go with what we've got. Which should still be good enough to finish above at least 7 teams in this league and with Hibs losing Strokes, I'd see us and United as the two main challengers for 3rd.

Rudolf's Mate

Unfortunately I think the sheep may play a part though as is for everyone, consistency will be a major factor for them!

Bryson has not even peaked yet and you would have hoped to improve under JJ and made him quite a valuable asset for the club in the future.

That's why I believe our offer was on the low side compared to other players who have left the SPL recently.

Disagree with this Clerry.

I'd use the young lads that left Hamilton for Wigan as a benchmark. McCarthy was an exceptional talent and went straight from Hamilton to Wigan for ?1m. However, young James McCarthur moved from Hamilton to Wigan circa ?500,000 with add ons depending on how he progresses. Bryson is a decent player, but he's never stood out to me in the same way, couldn't lace McCarthur's boots IMHO.

I think ?300,000 with a sell on clause and (if rumours are true) Glen for a season was a very fair bid, based on his age and where Bryson is in his career right now. If Bryson really is as good as Killie think, mad Vlad has a proven record of getting top dollar moving players on.

An attacking midfielder would've been nice and it's an area that concerns me, but I'm none-fussed about missing out on Bryson and will see how Jonsson, Temps and/or Robinson do. I still think Killie may live to regret this though.

Unfortunately I think the sheep may play a part though as is for everyone, consistency will be a major factor for them!

If Velicka is fit I can see them sneaking top 6. but no higher than that, they are average on a good day.

If Burnley had come back in for Driver yesterday with the same offer we'd turned down weeks ago and we'd sold him, there would be meltdown on here. And yet we blame the Killie chairman for turning us down.

But wasn't the point that Kille were asked to name their price, which they did, and we agreed to pay it. The sticking point for Killie isn't the money - it's the fact that it's their ex-manager who wants the player. Any other club offering the same amount would get Killie's blessing.

But wasn't the point that Kille were asked to name their price, which they did, and we agreed to pay it. The sticking point for Killie isn't the money - it's the fact that it's their ex-manager who wants the player. Any other club offering the same amount would get Killie's blessing.

There is no evidence of this as yet just hearsay from some of the same people who said the deal was done, the coaches said it was happening etc etc.

If that is true, which I don't know if it is or not, then aye, Johnston looks like a spanner. On the other hand we'd quite possibly have a higher price for a player to Celtic or Rangers than we would to a team down South. which is fair enough in my book.

There is no evidence of this as yet just hearsay from some of the same people who said the deal was done, the coaches said it was happening etc etc.

Doesn't mean you can dismiss it though.

If it was Vlad instead of Michael Johnston I'm sure there would be plenty on here queuing up to believe it.

Fire away, keep hurling abuse at MJ.

Anyway where is Toto :whistling:

i honestly dont think it is peanuts. no team in england or europe fancied him enough to put a bid in and in the spl we are the only club outwith the old firm who are willing to spend any money at all. michael johnstone is a c0ck for not accepting our offer.

I'd use the young lads that left Hamilton for Wigan as a benchmark. McCarthy was an exceptional talent and went straight from Hamilton to Wigan for ?1m. However, young James McCarthur moved from Hamilton to Wigan circa ?500,000 with add ons depending on how he progresses. Bryson is a decent player, but he's never stood out to me in the same way, couldn't lace McCarthur's boots IMHO.

I think ?300,000 with a sell on clause and (if rumours are true) Glen for a season was a very fair bid, based on his age and where Bryson is in his career right now. If Bryson really is as good as Killie think, mad Vlad has a proven record of getting top dollar moving players on.

An attacking midfielder would've been nice and it's an area that concerns me, but I'm none-fussed about missing out on Bryson and will see how Jonsson, Temps and/or Robinson do. I still think Killie may live to regret this though.

i think the main point here and apologies if I'm wrong, but Bryson had 3 years remaining on his contract and weren't the Hamilton lads into their last year?

If Bryson had been into his last year then certainly 200K would have been a more realistic offer.

Rudolf's Mate

People keep using James McCarthur as a bench mark price however he was entering into his final year and could have signed a pre-contraft agreement in Jan leaving Hamilton for nothing next summer. Bryson is contracted till 2013 therefore this plays no part regardless of whether he (Bryson) is not fit to lace his boots.

Rudolf's Mate

i think the main point here and apologies if I'm wrong, but Bryson had 3 years remaining on his contract and weren't the Hamilton lads into their last year?

If Bryson had been into his last year then certainly 200K would have been a more realistic offer.

Sorry was looking on wiki to make sure what I was saying was correct..... & it was as you rightly pointed out.

People keep using James McCarthur as a bench mark price however he was entering into his final year and could have signed a pre-contraft agreement in Jan leaving Hamilton for nothing next summer. Bryson is contracted till 2013 therefore this plays no part regardless of whether he (Bryson) is not fit to lace his boots.

Sorry was looking on wiki to make sure what I was saying was correct..... & it was as you rightly pointed out.

I have to be honest, I'd assumed McCarthur wasn't in his last year. Seems a bit of a strange one by Hamilton allowing that to happen.

That aside, can appreciate more where CJ is coming from now.

I have to be honest, I'd assumed McCarthur wasn't in his last year. Seems a bit of a strange one by Hamilton allowing that to happen.

That aside, can appreciate more where CJ is coming from now.

Respect bud :thumbsup:

Bit touchy this morning bud, my post was a little bit tongue in cheek..................BUT please don't give me this Michael Johnstone is a bellend crap.

Bryson has been their best player in the last 2 seasons and has 3 years, yes 3 years left on his contract, not 6 months or even a year.

To offer 200K initially and then a token gesture 300K IMHO is a feckin joke and we slag off the Old Firm for offering pawltry amounts of money for other clubs best players.

Their chairman was spot on not accepting these bids and fair play to him for having the balls.

I will even praise Romanov for getting us top dollar on players sold. it works both ways.

I am actually having a crap day, yeh!! Always easy to tell with me - I'm a mumpy laddy!

Anyway, Michael Johnstone isn't a bellend for not accepting the offer. Fair play to him for that. He's a bellend for how he conducts his business and how he treats others. You see less of it in the papers than you do about VR, obviously, but I can assure you he is a horrible, horrible little man. He treats his staff like crap - see the Lockie saga and the sacking of the club doctor (who is also now with Hearts) meaning players were having to use NHS doctors with footballing injuries.

He told Bryson on more than one occasion that he could go if he got the right offer and as long as it wasn't to Hearts. If that isn't bellendery, I don't know what is!

I am actually having a crap day, yeh!! Always easy to tell with me - I'm a mumpy laddy!

Anyway, Michael Johnstone isn't a bellend for not accepting the offer. Fair play to him for that. He's a bellend for how he conducts his business and how he treats others. You see less of it in the papers than you do about VR, obviously, but I can assure you he is a horrible, horrible little man. He treats his staff like crap - see the Lockie saga and the sacking of the club doctor (who is also now with Hearts) meaning players were having to use NHS doctors with footballing injuries.

He told Bryson on more than one occasion that he could go if he got the right offer and as long as it wasn't to Hearts. If that isn't bellendery, I don't know what is!

Ach it's done and dusted now anyway!!

I'm just disappointed it never materialised, I'm over it now.......I think :P

the sacking of the club doctor (who is also now with Hearts) meaning players were having to use NHS doctors with footballing injuries.

Kilmarnock did not sack their club doctor. You read too many papers.

They stopped using a GP that went into training on a Tuesday and Thursday morning to the Killie training facility in Glasgow to see if the players had any colds etc. Most of the time the GP did not have players come to him with anything wrong. This was judged to be an expense that could be reduced due to the loss of Setanta money.

Any physical injuries were and are still handled firstly by Killie's trained pyhsio, and then one of the two orthopaedic surgeons retained by the club as club doctors. MJ arranged, with the full blessing of the two club doctors, that local GP surgeries would see any player the same day.

You will be surprised to hear that big Kyle was the first player to refuse to travel from Glasgow to Kilmarnock when he had a cold.

doth mine eyes deceive me? what fiendish tricks do mine eyes play upon me?

magicts can't be be using ye olde 'there's no evidence - it's just hearsay' ploy... almost everything he schemes up in his over imaginative mind is baseless in terms of evidential credibility.

magicts doth desireth his cake AND eateth it me thinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Off the top of my head:

• Kevin Kyle
  • Marian Kello
  • Darren Barr
  • Adrien Mworiec
  • Stephen Elliott
  • (Likely) Johnny Toto
  • Wallace not sold
  • Driver not sold
  • Suso not sold

Best window for ages. :thumbsup:

Since the mods curiously decided to merge my "Thanks, Mr. Romanov, for an excellent transfer window" thread with the Craig Bryson thread (some of your decisions honestly baffle me, gents), I'm going to have to BTTT the whole shebang.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR STERLING WORK MR. ROMANOV.

Archived