Review the last film you saw

Ryan Gosling

The Lost Boys - 6 out of 5.

Not clever enough to put the stars in sorry.

The Lost Boys is one of the all time classics, complete with "NANOOK" the vampire killing dog: 6 out of 5 is just about right.

I wonder how the sequel "Lost Boys2 The Tribe" is going to be? It is supposed to come out sometime this year.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloverfield (2007) - 15

Incredible. Just the most incredible experience I've had in a cinema since Jurassic Park when I was 4. OK, so the characters aren't amazing (but at least they're not indestructible like in some movies) and the dialogue isn't Oscar-winning but that's not the point. Advice - sit in the seat against the wall, you'll feel everything.

medium_5.gif

Cloverfield -

Disappointed.

The film lacked badly in character development and you didn't really care what happened to the cast as they were quite unlikable.

Really just a roller coaster novelty film with some fancy visuals and effects that quickly becomes repetitive.

medium_2.gif

Cloverfield (2007) - 15

Incredible. Just the most incredible experience I've had in a cinema since Jurassic Park when I was 4. OK, so the characters aren't amazing (but at least they're not indestructible like in some movies) and the dialogue isn't Oscar-winning but that's not the point. Advice - sit in the seat against the wall, you'll feel everything.

medium_5.gif

Just back from it myself

Cant decide if I liked it or hated it

Its definitly one you will love or hate

As you say the characters arent great and you really dont give a **** if they survive or whatever

The film itself was very graphic and you did feel very close to the action

The film imo would have benefited from more intrigue and by showing you the monster so early this was lost

You knew what was going to happen and ultimately it was an unfulfilling film

Ive seen worse, and Ive seen far better

Think it could be a cult classic all the same

Last film I saw was PS I Love You....

Utter Pish!!

Lady jambo

and you had to go to realise that:confused:

Yeah It did kinda look good.... by god I was sooooo wrong!

:sad:

The fact you thought it looked good says it all

Id book yourself in for some taste lessons

The fact you thought it looked good says it all

Id book yourself in for some taste lessons

haha shut it.... :mad:

The Kite Runner

Young exiled Afghan man living in San Francisco has to return to his homeland and risk capture by the Taliban in order to sort out a family affair. His childhood in pre-Soviet invasion Afghanistan is narrated via flashback. Beautifully shot (mainly in China, apparently) and a riveting storyline. I've read lots of criticism of the film, but I thought it was outstanding.

4 stars.

I'll back that review. saw it yesterday.

Apparently the 2 young Afghanis in the film had to move to the USA as they were being harassed due to local reaction to the depiction of one of them being raped in the film.

Old Joy

On Film4 last night, utter trash. Two boring losers who were friends years ago decide to meet up and go on a road trip to nowhere, when they get there they relax and one gives the other a massage. That's really all that happens.

no stars.

• 2 weeks later...
Commander Harris

Juno.

fecking marvellous. highly enjoyable, very funny and a very endearing lead character.

medium_5.gif

Patrick Bateman

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

A tense thriller about two brothers, neatly shot and with superb acting (Hoffman, need I say more?)

The "jumping around" as one posted claims actually helps unwravel the plot in a non-linear way, which really helps. The only problems are that its slightly overlong and that Ethan Hawke irritates.

Highly recommended.

medium_4.gif

National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007, PG)

Nic Cage stars in Indy-lite vehicle, sequel with more fun, a more exciting plot and generally better. As a film it's not going to win any awards. As fun?

medium_4.gif

Blood Diamond

As usual im about 3 years late in watching, thoroughly enjoyed it though, much better than i thought it was going to be. Leonardo DiCaprio has turned into a blody good actor, and been in some of my favourite films now. Film was far better than i thought it would be, far more action-orientated than i expected, and the action scenes were pretty awesome.

medium_4.gif

ToadKiller Dog

Punishment park (1971)

Made during the height of the vietnam war and civil rights struggles in the US ,the film at the time was ignored by the promoters rather than banned and was panned by the critics as anti americian(something which still upsets the director today),which it isnt.Filmed in a pseudo-documentary style using real people from all sides of the then debates it has an originality of its time and has been used many times since.

Yes its bleak but in a style that reminds of George Orwell and has some relevance to issues debated in todays world.

i will give it

medium_4.gif

Rambo 4

The usual blood & guts, not much of a story basicly rambo is to take some Christian aid workers in Burma he kills some pirates who were going to kill/rape them, the Christians get upset at this, soon the christians are caught by some ruthless soldiers who seem to go from village to village killing everyone (some unpleasent scenes where they show children getting killed). A team of mercs get hired by the church to go a rescue aid workers, Rambo leads them to soldiers camp and starts rescuing them soldiers find out whats happening and start to chase them through the jungle leading to final battle scene with Rambo shooting all the baddies

The last film I watched was "The Bucket List" Jack Nicholson & Morgan Freeman, an absolutely fantastic film, basicly its about corprate billionaire Edward Cole and working class mechanic Carter Chambers have nothing in common except for their terminal illnesses. While sharing a hospital room together, they decide to leave it and do all the things they have ever wanted to do before they die according to their bucket list. In the process, both of them heal each other, become unlikely friends, and ultimately find the joy in life.

For me a 5 Star film........:1022:

Cloverfield

Film doesnt deserve any stars.

Dont go see this movie as it is ****e, This film could of been fantastic but they ruined it with the poor story line, basically about some guy trying to find a girl he has pumped to make sure she is okay.

Very short (thank god) film and very boring.

Avoid this film you have been warned.:mad:

Cloverfield

Film doesnt deserve any stars.

Dont go see this movie as it is ****e, This film could of been fantastic but they ruined it with the poor story line, basically about some guy trying to find a girl he has pumped to make sure she is okay.

Very short (thank god) film and very boring.

Avoid this film you have been warned.:mad:

I can understand all the criticism about the plot but boring!?

Cloverfield - class, i loved this film. loads of action and the graphics are class, you are close to the action and only know as much as the charactors in the film.

if you like action/space films go and see this - one to watch in the pics

Just saw Sunshine on DVD. Liked the look of it and had read good reviews about it in FILM magazine.

Utter gash. Had potential but ruined by poor directing for me. You get no connection with the chracters as you're just thrown into year 6 of a space mission. Events just happen with no build up or afterthought.

I think this must have been the intention to make you feel as disconnected as those on the ship but it just leaves you with no connection or feelings towards any of the characters.

And then they ruined the ending with a completely outrages twist which was a) ***** and B) completely unbelievable

Don't watch it. In fact, don't even consider watching it. Danny Boyle stick to films about smacked up jakies please.

medium_1.gif

Atonement

Watched this on Sunday with the missus. (Well she let me out to play golf). Load of soppy bollox and definately one for the ladies. Pretty slow and I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. How this won best picture at the Grammy's is beyond me.

Enjoyed watching the" Rise of the Foot Soldiers" on Sat night. Based on a true story about 3 guys found murdered in Range rover in Essex.

the scene with the pizza cutter was superb.

medium_4.gif

Atonement

Watched this on Sunday with the missus. (Well she let me out to play golf). Load of soppy bollox and definately one for the ladies. Pretty slow and I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. How this won best picture at the Grammy's is beyond me.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Enjoyed watching the" Rise of the Foot Soldiers" on Sat night. Based on a true story about 3 guys found murdered in Range rover in Essex.

the scene with the pizza cutter was superb.

medium_4.gif

Oh god

You need help

An utterly terrible film, saw it in the cinema and also have it on DVD

I won't even do the other 1 star films the offence of giving it 1 star

Oh god

You need help

An utterly terrible film, saw it in the cinema and also have it on DVD

I won't even do the other 1 star films the offence of giving it 1 star

Everybody to their own, I was given a copy.

You watched it at the cinema and GOT the dvd .

Patrick Bateman

There Will Be Blood

This is one of the best films of the decade. There, I've said it. It's been hyped and hyped, and normally I will end up being slightly disappointed, but not today. Day-Lewis deserves the wax-lyricaling, as does Paul Dano (remember the mute from Little Miss Sunshine?) It may just be a film about an oil tycoon, but its evidently so much more than that. Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia) is the Kubrick of this generation; a man who knows exactly how mise en scene, sound and colour work. Long shots, close-ups, angst-shaking orchestral violin (from Johnny Greenwood, Radiohead's maestro) and absolutely incredible performances from basically everyone will measure alongside Citizen Kane and The Godfather. I'll admit this film won't be to everyone's tastes, it might seem overlong or even boring to some people, which is fair enough, there are moments where dialogue and dramatic action are scarce. To me, it is an articulately realised epic of the failures of the American dream, be it money, foreign policy or religion.

Just try to ignore the hype and plot synopsis and see it for yourselves.

medium_5.gif

Atonement

I hated it, not to my tastes at all.

However, taking my own subjective opinions out of proceedings it WAS an incredibly well-crafted piece of film-making, and it deserves success at the major awards ceremonies.

Even the Grammies.

There Will Be Blood

This is one of the best films of the decade. There, I've said it. It's been hyped and hyped, and normally I will end up being slightly disappointed, but not today. Day-Lewis deserves the wax-lyricaling, as does Paul Dano (remember the mute from Little Miss Sunshine?) It may just be a film about an oil tycoon, but its evidently so much more than that. Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia) is the Kubrick of this generation; a man who knows exactly how mise en scene, sound and colour work. Long shots, close-ups, angst-shaking orchestral violin (from Johnny Greenwood, Radiohead's maestro) and absolutely incredible performances from basically everyone will measure alongside Citizen Kane and The Godfather. I'll admit this film won't be to everyone's tastes, it might seem overlong or even boring to some people, which is fair enough, there are moments where dialogue and dramatic action are scarce. To me, it is an articulately realised epic of the failures of the American dream, be it money, foreign policy or religion.

Just try to ignore the hype and plot synopsis and see it for yourselves.

medium_5.gif

:Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

This Is England

Had this to watch from Lovefilm for ages, but only just got the chance to sit down and take it in tonight.

Shane Meadows cements his position as Britain's finest young director with a nostalgic yet unsettling morality tale. Despite being a complete unknown, Thomas Turgoose is superb as the protagonist, the soundtrack is incredible, Stephen Graham is genuinely frightening in his role as a psychologically disturbed skinhead, the direction is unflashy but extremely effective (almost authentic) and the plot plays out at a logical, measured pace.

Absolutely fitting of its recognition at the BAFTAs, and Shane Meadows is a director who is progressing with his every film. Did I prefer it to Dead Man's Shoes? No. Was it a better film? Without question.

Outstanding.

medium_4.gif

This Is England

Had this to watch from Lovefilm for ages, but only just got the chance to sit down and take it in tonight.

Shane Meadows cements his position as Britain's finest young director with a nostalgic yet unsettling morality tale. Despite being a complete unknown, Thomas Turgoose is superb as the protagonist, the soundtrack is incredible, Stephen Graham is genuinely frightening in his role as a psychologically disturbed skinhead, the direction is unflashy but extremely effective (almost authentic) and the plot plays out at a logical, measured pace.

Absolutely fitting of its recognition at the BAFTAs, and Shane Meadows is a director who is progressing with his every film. Did I prefer it to Dead Man's Shoes? No. Was it a better film? Without question.

Outstanding.

medium_4.gif

I thought it was okay.Thomas Turgoose and The Sound track saved the film from being a rotten tomato.Dead Man's shoes was a far better.:)

Jumper (2007 - dir. Doug Liman)

Good fun, clearly a setup for a franchise so if you take it as a part one, it's something you'd see again. Plus Rachel Bilson is lovely, and a double decker bus flipping is awesome.

medium_3.gif

Juno

was a bit sceptical about seeing this film as it looked like a chick flick.

Ellen Page's performance deserves an oscar.

the movement through pregnancy that Juno goes through and how she deals with it being hormonal is a great portrayal. along with the humour and snappy one liners and the desire to involve herself in the lifes of the prospective adoptive parents is deserving of an oscar for Ellen Page.

5 stars

Jumper (2007 - dir. Doug Liman)

Good fun, clearly a setup for a franchise so if you take it as a part one, it's something you'd see again. Plus Rachel Bilson is lovely, and a double decker bus flipping is awesome.

medium_3.gif

I'd go along with that.

Although at some points you're going "where are they now?!"

Good though, just back from it.:)

I'd go along with that.

Although at some points you're going "where are they now?!"

Good though, just back from it.:)

Aye.

Loved the fight for the detonator, ending up everywhere.

Aye.

Loved the fight for the detonator, ending up everywhere.

Thats the bit I had in mind!:laugh:

Good though, and definitely part of a series.

Commander Harris

Miss Congeniality

just been watching this on DVD again.

Brilliant film, definitely in my top 10, unbelievable performance from Sandy Bullock - amazing comic timing.

medium_5.gif

Miss Congeniality

just been watching this on DVD again.

Brilliant film, definitely in my top 10, unbelievable performance from Sandy Bullock - amazing comic timing.

medium_5.gif

It really is terrific. :cool:

Great fun.

And Diane Lane isn't in enough movies.

This Is England

Outstanding.

medium_4.gif

Thommo, I also loved that film - had never heard of it before a colleague gave it to me.

ArmiyaRomanova

BE KIND REWIND

The new Michel Gondry film.

I'm a huge fan of Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, and even fell for the quirky charms of The Science Of Sleep.

So I was eagerly awaiting BKR, despite the presence of the frequently (and he does star in a lot of films) annoying Jack Black.

Anyone who loves Gondry for his visual sensibilities won't be disappointed - there's plenty of visual invention - but if you like complex and interestingly-motivated characters, sparky dialogue, a believable story world (no matter how obviously unreal) and plotting which unexpectedly twists and turns, you're going to be very disappointed.

I suspect that the film is attempting to provide an energising twist on mainstream formulaic comedy, modern slapstick if you will - and though it definitely has its moments (principally the sequences in which big budget Hollywood movies are 'Sweded') - overall I found it... well, unengaging, turgid and overlong.

Thematically, if this is saying something about the relationship between film, artifice and community, its message is muddled at best.

Maybe I should give it another shot on DVD, but I'll have to get over my disappointment first.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Breathtaking...

A story that is simple on the surface but has hidden depths, about a man trapped in his own body following a stroke, only able to blink one eye, told almost entirely from his perspective (including his hearing his thoughts and feelings) as he painstakingly completes his memoir by blinking to a modified alphabet.

I had serious reservations about this film, it looked a bit too much like (the great) The Sea Inside but it is a fantastically realised piece of art that displays the depths of human conscience and memory and how precious they are. If you love subtle films that examine the nature of humanity, please just see this film! On at the Filmhouse until March.

medium_5.gif

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Breathtaking...

A story that is simple on the surface but has hidden depths, about a man trapped in his own body following a stroke, only able to blink one eye, told almost entirely from his perspective (including his hearing his thoughts and feelings) as he painstakingly completes his memoir by blinking to a modified alphabet.

I had serious reservations about this film, it looked a bit too much like (the great) The Sea Inside but it is a fantastically realised piece of art that displays the depths of human conscience and memory and how precious they are. If you love subtle films that examine the nature of humanity, please just see this film! On at the Filmhouse until March.

medium_5.gif

1 - gaaaaaaaay :P

2 - no you didn't! You said you couldn't wait to 'get your hands on a copy' !

:P

Archived